help with game name :)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

help with game name :)

#1 Post by jack_norton »

Since I recently am reducing time spent in front of the PC, I started using pen & paper to sketch/write down new game ideas. Result, after 3 days I have now a fullgame doc design ready to be coded :lol:
It's based on three girls that are thieves, but they are "good". Sort of the manga Cat's Eye (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat%27s_Eye_%28manga%29) but in fantasy settings. It would be a mix otome/RPG/strategy game which I hope to finish in 2011.
I was thinking about a name for it and I thought about:
Queens of Thieves
Three Sisters (not sure about this one, I think there is a VN of similar title?)
... ran out of ideas :?

Any suggestion is appreciated! :mrgreen:
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

Re: help with game name :)

#2 Post by Anna »

It's rather hard to come up with a name when we only know there will be three thief girls in there and that it will be in a fantasy-like setting.

Perhaps you can come up with a name after you've thought of the storyline, and think of one that's based on something in the story. Like a key-item or special spot/event. for example, in Cat's Eye the name happens to be the name of their café.

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by jack_norton »

True, using an item or place/building name is a good idea, will think about it :)
computer games

dstarsboy
Veteran

#4 Post by dstarsboy »

I like the item name idea. The plot may evolve around the climax of a major score... so the item involved would be a great title. I think the specifics of your game so far sound pretty neat. Keep up the great work.

Oh, btw, I wanted to ask. I thought someone mentioned that you hire writers, I didn't know you write them yourself. Or do you just write plot points and summaries and hire writers to handle the rest?
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by jack_norton »

I tried several things like:
- writing in my own language (italian) and getting translated (horrible results)
- writing in english and then proofreaded (better results, depends on the proofreader but in general good)
- just write the main plot point and summaries and hire writers (best writing but sometimes is hard because I have to change part of the plot during testing)

this game won't be a classic VN though, but a RPG/Strategy game with a story.
computer games

dstarsboy
Veteran

#6 Post by dstarsboy »

Cool, thanks for the info. From a successful VN developer, I find that behind the scenes info interesting.

Good luck on your RPG, it sounds like a winner to me.
Current Projects:
The Isle of St Marcus

Naeddyr

#7 Post by Naeddyr »

You could name it after something thematic from the main characters; like, if they have three different signature tools or weapons, you could go "Dagger, Hook & Claw".

"The Three [Nouns] of [Place name]": "Sisters", "Thieves", "Shadows" of "City name", "District name", "Alley name", "Building name", "Organisation name", "Family name".

Make all of them left-handed and call the game "The Sinister Stealin' Stealth Sisters".

You're Italian, I'm sure you can think of a good pun involving La gazza ladra or something.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#8 Post by Aleema »

Or you could go like how Disney's Rapunzel is actually called "Tangled". Like, you could name a story about thieves "Stolen" or "Robbed" or "Cheats" or "Plunder" or "Ransack'd" or "YOINK!" lmao ... Dunno anything about the game, really, and that might help. ^^

"Now You See Me, Now You Don't" xD
"[Something] After Dark"
"It's Only Criminal"
"The Moonlighters"
"Lawless"

If you HAVE to incorporate that they're girls for some reason ...
"[Something] Sisterhood", like "Unusual" or "Wicked" or "Illicit"
"Women in Black" luuulz, if they wear black
"Le Femme Fatales" if they're sex objects
"Guilty Girls" ugh ow that one hurt, maybe "Guilty As Charged"

Stressing fantasy:
"Dragon Clan" ... they form a "clan"? okay, bad one
"Eye for Gold" assuming gold is currency
I really like their weapons being the title, like suggested before

If you want to stress fantasy and they're women:
"[Something] Princesses" like "Pirate" or "Dark" or those other words I listed above

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by jack_norton »

Cool thanks about the suggestions. The game prologue is somewhat dark with the mother of the three sister killed by some nobleman, which will be the ultimate target/boss. They're raised by their father who trains them to be the most skilled thieves/mages/warriors.
A pity "Plundered Hearts" has been already used by a famous IF game some years ago :D
computer games

netravelr
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Culina: Hands in the Kitchen, Culina: The Spirit of Cooking, Saving Zoey
Projects: Love at the Laundromat
Organization: Lakeview Interactive
Deviantart: netravelr

#10 Post by netravelr »

Personally, I typically wait until I'm over half way done with a game before I work on the title of the game. I have a "Working Title" of course so I'm able to talk to the team about it but I wait until I find the funnest part of the game and I revolve the title around that. If a stealing minigame is the best part and you think people are going to be entanged in that then I would use that in the name.

Since they are sisters you could go something along the lines of "The Sisterhood of [Something]" like Aleema suggested. Just my two cents though. :-)
Technical Designer/Programmer
Game Design Portfolio - Project updates on my Twitter
Experienced in: C/C++/C#, Python, Unreal, Unity, and Flash

Marcelo_Orlando
Veteran
Completed: Case of the missing bracelet, Case of the mysterious stalker
Projects: Horror/fantasy
Organization: Kaboyashi Square

#11 Post by Marcelo_Orlando »

Shadow lace? Sexy, sticky fingers? Ok that kinda sounds like hentai oops. Ehh....mwhat if they made a group and you can make that the title. They could have a cover job, something that they do to hide what they really do?

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#12 Post by SilverxBlue »

Hi..!

Uhmmm...

If I could suggest maybe since they wanted to pursue the nobleman who killed their mother maybe you could involve the worlds vengeance or pain... Or maybe you could also use the words beautiful, pretty or elegant then use another adjective that shows what they really are. An example is "pretty little liars" though this one is already a title for a TV show.
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran

#13 Post by jack_norton »

For now I'm going with the WIP of Queens of Thieves, but probably will change it before final release :) thanks for the suggestions
computer games

squark
Veteran
Completed: Tour de Pharmacy (Proofreader), The Abandoned Land: Book One (Proofreader)
Projects: Raven Hollow (Core Coder, Proofreader), The Universal Hope (Core Coder, Proofreader)
Organization: FlareBlue Entertainment

#14 Post by squark »

Only noticed this thread today >.<
But anyway I got thinking of a name that fits the story frame you've given.
'Tis truly a shame that "Vandal Hearts" is taken, I felt it'd've worked, but at least it got my brain thinking.
Perhaps the only thing that's coming into my heart is a tad too dramatic, but it's all I've got right now: "Vengeful Greed" or any permutation of the title. I'll stop now.

It seems like the right thread (though made by someone else) so I'll ask as well;
I have a thing I'm working on as well, and I'm starting to think the title may not fit too well.
Basically it revolves around a girl I've named Raine who's been clunked on the back of the head quite hard indeed, and wakes up in a dank prison cell in an unfamiliar environment. (No, NOT amnesia... too clichéd...)
Within short order she finds an ally in her cellmate - a pale, gaunt figure who looks to have been the cell's only inhabitant for who-knows-how-long. Together, they find a way out and into the - very - small villagey place, and looks like it's been planned and established for some time (I digress, but anyway).
It's only then that Raine learns that there's been rumours of the twisted tower in the nearby forest being inhabited again, only this time the town and everyone in it is going to be wiped in less than 34 days (apparantly).
Now, I know it may seem like someone just arrives to save the day just in the nick of time, but that's not really it. I'm going to put what it really is (which will also give away the main plot, a possible ending and the secret of the game itself) in a spoiler tag, so if you don't want to know, don't read it. I could also work with titles with the above, but when I was just planning it out, the title process went a little something like this:

Dark Recess - Dark Hollow - Raven's Flight - Raven Hollow
I call it a secret because I want it to slowly unfold as the player progresses along one of the main story lines.
Now, the
Anyhoo, it's not really the town that's going to get wiped, and yet it is.
Raine's going to die unless she stops whatever's happening. The town IS Raine. Her mind.
This is all I'm going to say, because to say anything more would ruin the rest of the plot.

Thanks for your time and attention =^-^=
Without communication, nothing is possible.
"All we see or seem
Is but a dream within a dream.

I stand amid the roar
Of a surf-tormented shore"
-- Edgar Allen Poe, "A Dream Within A Dream"
Current Projects:
Universal Hope Stalled
Raven Hollow (on hold for now)
Peace and Love,
Squark

Friendbot2000
Regular
Projects: Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing

#15 Post by Friendbot2000 »

Hmm naming things happens to be one of my specialities. So basically these girls are black knights(technical term meaning they steal for good, kind of like Robin Hood). Now I do have a couple of constructive criticism comments about the main plot. What exactly did the mother do to get killed? I mean, a noble doesn't just go around killing a whole bunch of people without (in his mind) being wronged somehow. This is just a thought, but instead of having the mother be killed for usual cause and effect reasons, why not have the situation be like in the Disney movie The Hunchback Of Notre Dame. The noble could be like Frollo, a pious noble that covets this woman and he hates himself for it so he kills her because if he can't let himself indulge in his lust then no one can have her! That would be an interesting spin on the story when the daughters learn the real reason for their mothers death.

Also, why are they taught thieving skills by their father? Maybe they could be in a situation like in the movie Oliver, where they become orphaned street urchins that are taken in by an insidious street gang boss who uses them to steal from people. He basically gives them some training and they run with it.

Sorry, I am diverging from the main point of the thread. Here are some names I came up with:

Ace of Hearts
They are avenging their mother's death right? So it is a revenge of the heart to bring closure to their loss.

Noble Hearts
Since they are Black Knights they are somewhat noble, the name also kind of tricks the player when he is looking at the game because they will be thinking of a different type of story and then when they read the description they will be like, "Oh, they are noble thieves. How can thieves be noble?" and buy/play the game.

Silent Vandals
You know...because thieves don't make noise...I think

The Near-Do-Wells
Well they are black nights so they "nearly" do "well". It is kind of a pun, but still. I like it :)
Visit my game development group's Facebook page : Timekeeper Games
Mutagen : Journey to Haven's Landing Facebook Page
Follow our Twitter feed too : TK Games