A project I wish I could...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dre
Regular

A project I wish I could...

#1 Post by Dre »

A project I wish I could complete is transforming the playstation game Xenogears into a VN. I know, this is something far out there, but I think it is possible. I love the gameplay and music, I love the artwork but most of all I love the story. That alone could make the VN version just as great.
The gameplay elements could be worked around or changed, so could the world map elements. The music would stay, plus it would have better sound than the ps version. The artwork would be done as best as it could and the movies in the VN will be the same from the game. No need to change what doesn't have to be.

The reason's I say I wish I could make it is due to the length and artwork/work required. There is a lot of it in there, it would take me forever, but it would be worth it regardless.

Ok, I'll stop with the crazy talk now, I just wanted to get that off my mind. :lol: :shock: :lol:

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#2 Post by rioka »

lol I hear you Dre. There are some games out there that I think would translate well if turned into an all-out VN or dating sim.

The bit that gets me is that even though everything will be made from scratch (characters, backgrounds, etc) - the script will remain the same (and the music if you can duplicate it) and that may step on the legality issue more than it would for straight-up fan fictions and fan works in general.

:\

Dre
Regular

#3 Post by Dre »

eclipse wrote:lol I hear you Dre. There are some games out there that I think would translate well if turned into an all-out VN or dating sim.

The bit that gets me is that even though everything will be made from scratch (characters, backgrounds, etc) - the script will remain the same (and the music if you can duplicate it) and that may step on the legality issue more than it would for straight-up fan fictions and fan works in general.

:\
Hum...But I thought only if you sold a fan made work legal issues rise. StepMania copy's ddr part for part but I haven't heard too many law suits over that. Plus the game is rather old. It would be just wrong for Square to attack some well made fan game. Then again, if it gets too popular....

*starts to worry about Sango*

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#4 Post by PyTom »

Basically, all fan-fiction is illegal, since it uses characters and situations owned by someone else. That makes fan-fiction a derivative work, and derivative works (save for parody) are illegal under copyright law, without the permission of the owner.

On the other hand, the various dance simulators, while having a similar mechanic, don't really share any creative aspects with one another. (Like character designs, or songs, or anything like that.) That makes them legal, unless the original was patented.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by musical74 »

hmmmm....Was going to just respond to Dre's initial post, but eclispe's post made me wonder something.

Say I was going to make a dating simulation from the characters of Final Fantasy 6. Everything outside of the characters would be my own ideas...because I would want to make a dating sim out of a very popular game, would I get into trouble if I went ahead with this idea?

I've played the (cough) FF simdate on newgrounds and that's not what I have in mind. I'm thinking more along the lines of giving the characters actual personalites based on the game - i.e. Terra starts out pretty shy and Celes starts out very confident, and as you get to know them better you see more of their personality and what drives them. Maybe more along the lines of True Love or Season of the Sakura...where there's an actual story within the dating.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

Dre
Regular

#6 Post by Dre »

Ah, what if I do an act like the guys that created the 2d Halo game. You think the original creator(s) would find a Xenogears VN interesting?

Edit: musical74 if you get harsh legal issues over that then I, myself, would be pretty screwed. :?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#7 Post by PyTom »

What do you mean by "do an act"?

In general, unless explicitly given permission, creating fan-fiction using the characters from something else is illegal. Now, most companies do turn a blind eye, so you'll almost always get away with it... but it's still not illegal.

Yes, an ff6 based dating sim would be illegal, although I doubt square would care.

I also think fanfiction is somewhat impractical. In a good visual novel, the characters go through enough that they are not the same people at the end as they were at the start. It's often hard to capture that in fanfiction, where the only reference point is the original work, and staying true to that work means limiting development.

See the AYA game, which was hampered by an inability to change the characters.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Dre
Regular

#8 Post by Dre »

PyTom wrote:What do you mean by "do an act"?
I meant mimic. :) Fanfictions do lack character development due to the characters already being pre set. I guess fan games are just made for the enjoyment of seeing a character you like in a situation you would like to them in. Weather it's for fun or something deeper. :shock:

Well, I doubt I'll make this, but its fun to imagine.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#9 Post by papillon »

Fanfic characters don't develop? Read more Ranma fic. (One of the healthiest fanfic communities, although less so now than it used to be - I can go on LONG discussions about why the Ranma setup was absolutely perfect for fanfic. Absolutely dripping with unresolved issues and alternate pairings.)

You want to write a story where Ranma decides he really is happier as a girl and runs off to have a happy lesbian relationship with Nabiki? Go for it! But you're certainly NOT going to get that in an officially licensed Ranma product. :)

That's the thing - it's fanfic and not tied to a license, so you can go off in whatever direction you want. Harry Potter can father Hermione's baby and become the next Dark Lord. NEVER going to happen in the books, but you can write it, and if you don't suck as a writer, you can make it believable. Well, at least sort of believable.

An officially licensed Ranma game can't allow you to have sex with any girl or marry any girl in the end, because that would change the status quo.

A fan one could.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#10 Post by mikey »

Can I just say that I would definitely respect a game that would take (or rip straight away) the characters and BGs from an existing game and use it to make a VN. This is just more being an inspired fan than being a parasite on someone else's ideas.

Copyright law will very often put a sense of absurdity and sadly also insecurity into much of the areas it covers once you reach the relatively big space of its borderline and dubious cases and problems.

As someone who values originality, it makes sense for me, that the bigger the work, the more percent of your own creativity over the "copied" one should go in. Then, even though it's not legally correct, my moral problems with such a work don't exist.

GorillaKick
Regular

#11 Post by GorillaKick »

*Quickly hides doujin fighter project*
<_< >_>
*Whistles*
If liars make promises, then I'm a master craftsman.

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#12 Post by F.I.A »

In my opinion, you will hardly get sued for copyright issues for a small VN game unless by some extremists who feed their generations with Square stuff and proud of it(Who will not be able to get you in a case as well...).

And there is just a nice example to refer to in this thread. Take Mikey's "Marry Me, Misato!"(What do you know? 4 Ms in a row.). I don't think Gainax is harm or lost in a way with the creation of this game, right(And unless Mikey admitted that Gainax sent some warrants.)?

As long as one gives credits where they belong for every doujins(And not the "My creation, my concept"), I don't think it is bordering over legality. Much applied to one who draws fanarts of his/her favourites.

Xenogears is indeed a game with a nice story, that it might be interesting if made into a VN. The problem might be how the battle is resolved in it(Might consider a little small game?) and covers up all those journey-and-leveling.

#13 Post by Guest »

there were people who were remaking chrono trigger but in 3d, and i dont remember reading it was going to be for sale. square asked them to stop developping the game. that was too bad because the project had already progressed quite far and the graphics looked really nice.

Dre
Regular

#14 Post by Dre »

Anonymous wrote:there were people who were remaking chrono trigger but in 3d, and i dont remember reading it was going to be for sale. square asked them to stop developping the game. that was too bad because the project had already progressed quite far and the graphics looked really nice.
Whoa, he wasn't kidding. These screen shots look amazing. So it is true, if you make something too well done square will come after you. :cry:

http://www.opcoder.com/projects/chrono/media/
See for yourself.