What I did Last Week #3 (1/30/2011)

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

What I did Last Week #3 (1/30/2011)

#1 Post by Aleema »

:D

Hope it's okay I made it this time. I'll make my post under this one.
PyTom wrote:Welcome to the first "What I Did Last Week" thread. Over the last couple of years, I've noticed that there's a lot of posting, and especially concrete posting, towards the start and end of projects --- but not much in the middle. The hope is that this series of threads will fix this, by providing a place for people to talk about what they've done over the course of time. To help foster a sense of community, I want to try time-based threads, rather than project-based threads.

The challenge here is simply to post, once a week, a synopsis of what you did in the last week; and to do so at a level of detail that will let people follow along and make suggestions.

A couple of rules:

1. Anyone can make a new What I Did Last Week thread, if the old one is out of date. The goal is to post at least once weekly, with weeks running Sunday-Saturday. If you don't see a thread, make a new one. (If more than one thread for a week is created, we'll merge them.)

2. Be specific. Don't just post, "I wrote 100 words, made 2 sprites, and made 1 background." Show us - give us a synopsis or excerpt of the writing, or post a picture or two. The idea is to give people something to comment on, rather than going "yeah, that's nice." Use spoiler tags for large, game-ruining spoilers - but maybe not small ones, as people should expect some spoilers here.

3. Collaborative Criticism is welcome. This should be considered a "Critique Please" thread. That means that if you have suggestions for how a project can be made better, post them. If there's something you especially like or dislike, post about it.

4. Don't post lack-of-progress reports. If you didn't do anything this week (and it happens to everyone), don't post about it here.

This is an experiment; I hope it leads to more discussion of in progress games, and I hope that discussion leads to more and better games.
PyTom wrote:As a reminder to everyone, the motto here is Be Specific. We want to know what's going on, not just raw counts.
Last edited by Aleema on Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: What I did Last Week #3 (1/30/2011)

#2 Post by Aleema »

This week was more productive since I'm more sane. I was arguing with the writing staff, and Sen was, "I take it you're better." lol.

- Sprite work. Made and cut expressions for Bruno, Claudette, and Emma. Gave Wizz jeans instead of khakis. And some other ~secret~ sprites work. Finally added abs to Bruno, which he was calling for with that no shirt thing going on. The girls seem to like it. Not sure if it will make you nosebleed, but it looks a lot better than he did before (flat chest with awkward lighting):
Sorry, ladies. He's not romancable. :P

- Brought new writers into the team. Megumi, Snowflower, GARLICBREAD and Lekhaka are now writing characters in the game and are already involved with the characters. :) Thanks for pitching in guys!! Riviera will hopefully be our open mode editor.
memorabilia.jpg
- Added the Memorabilia screen. It will show up under the Achievements screen (and looks like it) on the Main Menu. Since I don't have (a lot of) CGs, a CG gallery is pointless. But something I did like about Japanese VNs is that a lot of them let you replay scenes! So instead of calling it "Memories" or "Scene Replay" or something mechanical, I tried to tie the name into the style of the game. So now the scenes are memorabilia. :D

It's not filled out completely, nor working as intended, since I need to go back to every scene and put a check to see if you're using the Memorabilia to bring you back to it when the scene's done, which I'm not going to do until all the scenes are DONE, but it currently jumps to the scenes I have put in. :) I put a huge menu after the start label to navigate my script, instead of saves, so this will be of use to me, too. So getting it working isn't just because I'm dicking around doing extras. =P It only took a couple hours, so no sweat.

The pictures of the person whose scenes are shown are to the right, like Robin. When you unlock a person, their tab shows up instead of "???" so I can still reveal the characters when I feel in the game, even though you could look on the website and see them all now.

My only concern/relief is that this will remove the need for the Plot Tracker, which I coded near the beginning. You can always go to the Memorabilia screen and see if you missed anything, which really isn't going to happen. =P The other purpose of the tracker was to let you know immediate that you're getting a scene because you chose a certain path, and not that it's just a story cutscene you get every time. And it also lets you gauage how far until the you are.

It was a novel idea that I was going to do 100%, but with this new screen, it might be redundant and probably not worth that little hint of "oh, this is a Dallas scene, better brace myself" that it would offer.

- Wrrrote. Big deal for me. Made a good dent in Wizz yesterday, for example.
drummers.jpg
- Starling finished more chibis, and they're CUTE. And by "more" I mean two complete instruments sets (keyboardist, drummers) with reportedly only 6 more left to go. Ho-ly Cow. This is between her college work, so big round of applause, please~! Also, selenity136 has also been giving me fake topic posts like mad crazy and they're FUN-NAY.

- Added instant mute buttons for my music/sound volumes. Poked around the new screen code and found that there was a toggle capability, and I toggle those suckers all the time, so I made the buttons for it! :D In the same vein, I updated the button images to not be too bright blue when selected, and I think they look sleek now. Also! I added the rollover effects to the bars again, thanks to PyTom's response to my last progress report.

- Got my auto read button toggle to work for my side buttons. It's automatically on whenever I refresh the game, but a click now turns it off, so it's not a big deal. :D

- Set up a dropbox account for the writer pool so they can play/edit their character's path in the game, so they know how I'm treating their work. Some of the characters aren't scripted at all, so I will need to start working on that.

- Looking forward to using the new release of Ren'Py 6.12 for drag&drop so the player can reposition the jukebox, since I was iffy about where it should go.

- Worked on the Gift giving portion of the game. I doubled the amount of gifts with the open mode characters in mind, and made sure to streamline the procress of deciding how the character reacts to them. "If they like the gift, say this and do this," kind of thing.

- Updated the save slots to show a little profile picture of who's in your band. Nifty.

- Geez, I dunno. Prolly more stuff!!

~~~
LAST WEEK'S POLL:
In my first Open Ended Mode playthrough, I'm going to date ...
Seth: 33.9%
Wizz: 23.7%
Faust: 22%
Collin: 11.9%
Dallas, Beau, or Emmitt again: 6.8%
No one: 1.7%

Got more voters this week. I wonder why? ;) Looks like Seth is the leading love interest for the ladies~ Guess everyone loves that mysterious emo angsty guy. Tips for guys: Dye your hair black and be a total jerk. Also, lick things in a sexual manner. ANY GIRL YOU WANT IS YOURS.

I kid, I kid. Wizz was the leader for most of the week, so I guess that was before they realized I revealed Seth. xD I'm happy Wizz is getting a good following, because I felt like I was fighting for him to survive in the beginning. At first, it was like, "if he's a nerd then I'm Miss Universe (cuz he's totally not a nerd)". If I put glasses on him, then he'd automatically be a nerd, huh? HUH? STEREOTYPES! I don't want them!

Like I posted in my Game Updates thread, I was upset that for most of the week only ONE person voted for Collin. ONE. Then there were two more, and I'm happy to say he's now at 11% of the votes!! lmao. I really hope the adversion to him is more about his story (or the other stories just seeming more interesting) and not about how he looks. Because I would really, really hate that. =\ And never write for your ungrateful people againz.

Also, the "No One" person: GTFO!! ... xD Kidding. Good to have you along.

~~~

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Aleema »

... Screw you guys. I got cooties?

Well, I tried.
Last edited by Aleema on Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

Sorry, I spent most of last week at a convention away from the computer! The majority of what _I_ did in the past week involves paper calendar printouts with notes scribbled all over them in order to place what happens on what day in the spring semester.

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#5 Post by Nellie »

I was stuck in theater and wards till evening everyday, got home, sleep till early morning, wake up shower eat and prepare for hospital works again... Does that count? XD

Not a good contribution I guess =/

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#6 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

~I wrote +500 words in the script of TSE and +100 words to Independent.
~Updated their layout designs a little.
~Started having negotiations (finally! XD) with my talented sprite artist! :D
~Sketched basic drafts, colored a little, and edited more backgrounds.
~Researched a little about Greek mythology for a little inspiration.
~... and updated my back-up copy of TSE and Independent.

Hope that counts ^o^

YuukiCrossPudding
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Gidget & The Mysterious Thievery of Hoppity Town
Projects: Cerulean, The Photographer, Stalker&Yandere, Enamored Risks, Who Is The Red Queen?
itch: yuukipudding

#7 Post by YuukiCrossPudding »

1.Open LemmaSoft Forums
2.prepare to go for my vacation
3. Making BGs for Turnip In Love
4.See the feedback
5.Make a customized menu for TIL and change it again for three times
6. Practice on ren'py codes and coloring
7.Trying to use photoshop and figure it out.
8.Have 2 writers actually really want to help me (thank you so much, they're life savers!)
9.Try to contact the long lost person who want to help but didn't show up etc. (but I just can't contact them...T_T I'm afraid or something? :P)
10. Thinking how TIL is doing good and maybe will be ruined by my ho*****e BGs and try to search someone to help....

How's is it? Well... I can change it again~
Attachments
x.jpg

mugenjohncel
Hentai Poofter
Organization: Studio Mugenjohncel

#8 Post by mugenjohncel »

Decided to revisit old project Heavy Metal Girl Madonna. Scrapped the old BG-CG's in favor of 3D rendered BG-CG's since the game will be time sensitive and will require several time variations of the same BG-CG, something that is easily achieved by doing things in 3D... though I still have to post process them to resemble 2D (or at least make them look go together with 2D sprites)...

This one is the place where the main protagonist (and villain) of the story Madonna resides. Renamed the place Deep Sheet to accurately depict the way they cook and serve food... through Galvanized Steel Sheets after Deep Frying them in Hot Oil...

Just a Mock-Up... This is the same building cloned with lights on so I can visualize how will it look during night time...

======================================================================
[There is supposed to be an image here but for my own safety I shall not post it... for now]

In another project... I stumbled in what seems to be an intact copy of another parody game I've been working on and off for quite a while... it's a small VN involving A girl named Miko, Some random dork, Mutated Mushrooms, A large hole, cellphone and... a meddlesome Handsome Long haired guy!?...

More to come!... :mrgreen:

"POOF" (Disappears)

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#9 Post by Megumi »

- wrote around 6k for Love Buffet.
- Tried to draw sprites and gave up, instead recruited JadeOokami ;D
- Got beta readers (Machus and Riviera~ (l) )
- Started scripting and played around with it (AND ADDED STICK FIGURES FOR THE FUN OF SEEING IMAGE TRANSITIONS XD)
- Added an extra function for once the game is completed. (I managed to do EET :DDD)
- Managed to respect her 1 hour minimum of work on Love Buffet ;3
- Join RockRobin Project
- Resume drawing

No pics because no art was used (except poorly made ones to train on script-work) ^^"
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#10 Post by ludeshka »

Thanks to like, a dozen very nice forum members I can say that last week, I learned how to get my icon to work.
It really took a lot of tries, so I guess I'm prouder than I should be? XD
The good news is I understood how to make the loading screen without bothering every single forum member ever. XD

I've also finished another background. Wanna see?
Attachments
My newest background.
My newest background.
My loading screen! :)
My loading screen! :)
presplash.png (87.25 KiB) Viewed 1547 times

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#11 Post by kinougames »

We:

--designed one of 2 pixel maps!
--are doing pixel animations
--finished 90% of our commissions
--finished all the chibi work (yay~)
--programmed an easy interface maker for our engine so that we can easily tweak and move GUI portions when designing the final layout
--worked on food. Yes. Nom nom.
--worked on items some more!
--finished 3 more jobs
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SusanTheCat »

kinougames wrote:We:
--designed one of 2 pixel maps!
I must be tired. I read that as "One 2 pixel map" . A 2 pixel map would be very small. :)

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

night_serenade
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate, Turnip in Love, other secret projects XD

#13 Post by night_serenade »

Er well,

= Joined the Strings of Fate project with Digirin and others (yay our colourist is back~)
= became writer for said project and wrote around 3,000 words for it so far
= We’ve also been able to figure out A LOT of the story, the endings, and what we’re looking for in the game
= We’re hoping to have a demo out this month~

= Joined the Turnip in Love project with YuukiCrossPudding and others
= became writer for said project (haven’t done as much work on it as I hoped I would have by now, but I’m still trying to figure out exactly how I’m going to write it, so I can do the characters and story justice)
= We’re working hard on how this game is going to turn out, and once we’ve figured out a few major things I think our speed of completing things will become a lot faster

= Helped beta a few projects (one is ongoing) but I cannot name them because they want to be kept low-key for now
= Joined JadeOokami on a project that we’re working hard on. Might take a while, and we’re keeping it to ourselves for now, but we’re not giving up anytime soon =]
= And I’ve been working on my writing, drawing, and colouring skills, trying to get back to the level I used to be since it’s been a long while since I’ve drawn and everything
.:.Alice here~!

Writer, Proof Reader/Editor, Programmer, and Artist ;; always willing to help in whatever way I can, so don't be afraid to send me a message! =]

Here are the public projects I’m currently involved in (you should check them out =D)!!
Strings of Fate | Turnip in Love | Soul & Heart

My Deviant Art~ [I just recently created a new account, and am learning how to colour digitally, so right now there's only a limited and poor show of art XD]