Backgrounds...

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
Dre
Regular

Backgrounds...

#1 Post by Dre »

As an artist, I'm always looking for ways to better myself. One of the biggest challenges I have at the moment is creating a more authentic background setting for my art and games. This ranges from cityscapes to landscapes, pretty much all background situations. Where drawing the substantive background isn't hard, coloring them to match the subject, or coloring them to look more natural is a real pain and I almost always fail at this.

So my reason for creating this post is to ask other artists for some tips, pointer, links, tutors, whatever that can help me in this department because I really could use the help!

Thanks in advance. :D

lordcloudx
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://rd2k2-games.blogspot.com

#2 Post by lordcloudx »

sketch your background then just multiply that layer and create another layer underneath in photoshop then just be creative with color. Airbrush then erase some parts and use dodge, burn etc.

like in this tutorial unless you already know about this.
http://www.idigitalemotion.com/tutorial ... orial.html

I often skip the inking with the pen tool part though. but if you're not lazy about it. You can use the pen tool to create cg near the quality of professional bishoujo games.
How do you make your games? I see. Thank you for the prompt replies, but it is my considered opinion that you're doing it wrong inefficiently because I am a perfushenal professional. Do it my way this way and we can all ascend VN Nirvana together while allowing me to stroke my ego you will improve much faster. Also, please don't forget to thank me for this constructive critique or I will cry and bore you to death respond appropriately with a tl;dr rant discourse of epic adequately lengthy proportions. - Sarcasm Veiled in Euphemism: Secrets of Forum Civility by lordcloudx (Coming soon to an online ebook near you.)

Dre
Regular

#3 Post by Dre »

Thanks for the link, even though I've seen this before, this led to several other artist locations ultimately inspiring me to draw more consistently. So thanks for that too! lol If anyone else have anything they can share that would be nice. 8)