What is your type of guy when playing a GxB game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
PrettieAngel
Regular
Projects: Aurora Spirit

Re: What is your type of guy when playing a GxB game?

#16 Post by PrettieAngel »

1. What kind of guy do you go for first?
I generally go for the cold, darker or hateful characters first, but it greatly depends on how characters are presented and the events that occur earlier on in the game. Something that steers me away from characters of this type, however, is if they come across as being "Mary-Sue", at least, more so than the other characters, with exceptionally tragic pasts etc. that set them apart from others. I tend not to go for the bad-boy types though, and I think there's a clear distinction. Appearance definitely also plays a role, but it's not a hugely important factor, in my opinion.

2. Your favorite stereotype/s for a guy (tsundere,shota,etc.) and why.
I don't have any specific characteristics for characters, I wouldn't think, as it greatly depends on the development of said character. I think whatever works with a character makes them work, and definitely would be deterred by a quirk if it didn't seem natural.

3. What is your preferred number of eligible guys in the game?
Four to six would be my ideal choice. Three or seven are also acceptable depending on how well the story and characters are developed. I think as long as there isn't an overwhelmingly high amount and there are significant differences between them all, good story telling can allow for a range of character choices.

4. Do you think having a canon pair is good or bad? Why?
I don't like canon pairings, with very little exception. I think it really eliminates the purpose of having different datable characters and endings, and giving the player a choice, when one of them will always be the 'one that's supposed to be'. I also find it rather irritating when certain characters have endings that seem more developed than others.

5. Is it okay to have a 'good' ending with a guy that is not romantic?
I think it's quite all right, but I would prefer for it to be made clear throughout the progress of the game that I'm heading towards a friendship ending and not a romantic one, especially if the ending is to be considered a 'good' one.

6. What kind of guy do you NOT like that would make you go for him last or not at all)?
I'm one of those who mostly prefer to achieve all possible outcomes, but the ones I generally aim for last are the ones that present themselves arrogantly without a justification. Younger options can also somewhat deter me (especially if coupled with the previously mentioned), as I prefer pursuing characters older than the main in GxBs.

7. Do you like fan service? xD
In my opinion, it really comes down to the tone of the story. If it's a really deep, thoughtful and serious one, I think fan service can really lower my respect for it, unless it is done artistically and doesn't appear just to be for the sake of fan service. In a less serious game, it can definitely add and serve to increase how entertaining it is.

Julie
Regular

#17 Post by Julie »

Definition of 'canon' from Mirage xD
Canon pairing is true pairing that has the official seal of approval from the makers. It usually ties to the storyline the most, making their ending the true ending.
Mirage: A funny AND mysterious guy? Hmmm. xD And aww, even just a little fan service?xD
sake-bento wrote:
Snowflower wrote:4. Do you think having a canon pair is good or bad? Why?
Eh... I don't know what canon pair is?
owo

(I kid.)
WIN. :lol: :lol: :lol:
sake-bento: Thank you very much for the detailed answers! That really helps! ^^

LVUER: Thank you for answering these questions. ^^

EternalDream: See post above for the definition of 'canon'. xD Oh and I also feel embarrassed when my family sees me playing games. They start to make comments about the art and stuff. xD

GeminiStar00: Yes there are people who do not like too much fan service. :lol: Thank you for answering!

PrettieAngel: Thank you very much for the answers! They are very helpful! :D

Mirage
Veteran

#18 Post by Mirage »

Julie wrote: Mirage: A funny AND mysterious guy? Hmmm. xD And aww, even just a little fan service?xD
Yep, funny and mysterious. The fun factor may not necessarily be over the top comedy. It could be as simple as dead pan or dark humor. On the similar vein, I like characters that are more than what they seemed in the beginning. If I can guess their entire personality on the first glance, then it's no good. I like unpredictability in my story. That's why I dislike stereotypes.

As for fan service, it depends on your definition. Let's say I absolutely not interested to see my favorite characters naked... They traumatized me lol... It's worst if I see them wearing ultra low pants, showing their belly, all chained up with roses flying around...

The kind of fan service I don't mind will be something like the characters wearing things they hardly wear. For example, a samurai wearing a t-shirt, or a high schooler wearing kimono.

Julie
Regular

#19 Post by Julie »

Oh that makes a lot of sense now. Thank you very much. Characterization is very important afterall. ^^

I know a lot of people who likes that kind of fan service.xD For my case, it actually depends on how good it is drawn. But like what everybody says, too much is not good. :lol:

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#20 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Sweet guys. Guys that like rabbits. Guys that look sweet. Probably if there's one, I'd go for YANDERE XD
Bad-boy types too. They tend to be romantic even though they seem mean :D
Also any smart guy. But noot too nerdy that they tend to look like mad scientists.
I also like military-type guys. And the guys that doesn't care about life at all, like it's one big game he has to win.

TSUNEDERE. MEGANE. YANDEREEEEE~ XD
Tsunedere, because those type of guys are fun. XD
Megane. I like glasses. I like smart guys~
Yandere... I actually don't know XD

I don't care actually. The more the merrier XD

Yeah. Because you really know that you chased a good and "legal" guy XD
No that's a joke.
Because you know there's a "legal" story. That all those branches have a "main trunk" after all.

Heck, I thought of a good ending on one of the guys of my game that the girl and the guy didn't get married, but they are together XD It's okay in my opinion.

6. What kind of guy do you NOT like that would make you go for him last or not at all)?
A too cliche attitude, for the least.

Nope.

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#21 Post by Deji »

The one that looks the cutest and nicest to me.
Visually, I usually gravitate towards guys with long hair (more points if they have a ponytail) and guys with blue or ligh-colored hair.

I like tsunderes <3 And sweet smiling blushing guys <3
I like shotas to a point... as long as the age difference isn't big and the guy in question doesn't look like he's 12, I'm fine with it.

I don't have a specific number, but if there's so many I don't even remember their names and I have a hard time trying to find and focus on the one I like, then there's a problem.

I don't mind canon pairings, really, as long as nobody glares at me for liking a non-canon pairing better xD;

I personally find it more realistic; not *every* guy your MC meets is going to be compatible with her just because she happens to like him.
Now, if it's just a dating sim, you may ruin it for the player that specifically went after guy X to have a romantic ending with him ^^;

Guys that hurt the MC or the people around them without giving a damn, the typical 'cool as ice' guy that always has this stern look on his face, guys with a 'weird' (to me) fashion sense, guys with Bi tendencies, little kids and father figures.

If it fits nicely in the story, sure, I don't mind the occasional shirtless/half dressed guy. If it's there just for the sake of being there and adds nothing to the story, I'm better without it.
Also, if a fanservice scene fits one or two of your characters but not really the rest, it's better (imo) to just get rid of all fanservice rather than giving fanservice scenes to *all* the cast just to be 'fair', as it risk things feeling too forced and OOC >_o;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#22 Post by MaiMai »

It depends on who interests me first. I don't necessarily go for my favorite type of guy.

I'm not sure if people know this type, but I like the oranyan character to be honest. They're kinda loud and obnoxious (which ironically I don't like in RL), but they get shy and flustered and are sort of tsuntsun like. Dunno, it's kinda cute and dorky. And you get a lot of funny moments from those types. Troll guys are funny too, but not for romance.

I also like shy guys who don't know how to act around women, it's adorable 8)

Maybe 4 or 6. I'm not picky really.

I think it's fine especially if you're aiming for a sequel to your game. Continuity is nice even if the canon pair isn't necessarily my favorite.

Definitely! Platonic relationships are important in games and RL and they have potential to be just as interesting. In my opinion, platonic relationships help a protagonist grow up and whatnot and helps develop their character.

I hate guys who are like the sadistic rapists who are possessive, violent, and general dickwads towards the protagonist. Why? Yes, finding out those types actually can be gentle towards the person they care about is touching, but it still pisses me off. Of course this doesn't apply to every guy with some of those traits and it can be pulled off well, but seriously (I'M LOOKING AT YOU RIDDLE GARDEN AND UNDER THE MOON) And saying they do those things to the protagonist because they 'made them' or 'because I love you so much' isn't cutting it. 8||

Yes. I am not ashamed of oogling at nicely built shirtless guys. :D
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

GeminiStar00
Regular

#23 Post by GeminiStar00 »

Julie wrote: GeminiStar00: Yes there are people who do not like too much fan service. :lol: Thank you for answering!
Heh, well that's different. Of course nobody likes too much fan service. It's like too much of your favorite dessert, it just ruins the experience. ^_^ For clarification though, do other people consider things like, oh, cosplay by the characters, or dressing up as butlers, or other gratuitous costume fun to be just as much fan service as showing skin? 'Cause I for one only get marginally excited over the shirtless dudes but love good-looking guys in formal suits, especially military formals. Yum. :D

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#24 Post by NatsukiDeath »

1. The quiet ,sportive guys ( such a dreamy combo~ )

2. Yandere ( I just love how unexpeceted they can be)

3. 5 ( yeah that is good number to go with)

4.Good as long as the plot for it , isn't chessy or over lovely

5. perfectly fine makes you think of other thing then just loving the guy

6. squeeky voice baby face pervert younger guys ( I can't stant that type)

7. Sure as long as I'm not scarred for life by it

Boniae
Regular
Completed: I want 2 be single and Forget-Me-Not
Projects: Cry Girlhood, Dakota Wanderers, Sagebrush
Organization: Rosewater Games
Tumblr: boniae

#25 Post by Boniae »

Well, I usually go for the mysterious/quiet boy first.

Usually the quiet boy, mysterious, or one of those "friendly" sort of guys. Sometimes a male tsunedere is kinda hawt too. XD I'm not really sure why, but maybe it's because that's also what I look for in real men. *shrug*

Usually 3-5, not too many guys though, because chances are I wont finish the game. (Only if it's REEEALLY good, then I most certainly will.) I don't even mind just one romantic relationship - as long as its' unique.

Let's see - a cannon pairing is sort of like those "right" pairings, right? I guess it's Ok, but I'd rather like to have my own choice in the matter.

Of course! Sometimes even bad endings, if it's done tastefully. I don't mind anything.

Usually the jock. Always the jock. ALWAYS THE JOCK. *fist* I dunno, there's something about me and jocks. I don't like them. And the sweet-talker types. XD

...OHYUS.

Julie
Regular

#26 Post by Julie »

Lumen_Astrum: What do you mean by military type guys? :D Thank you for answering!

Deji: Hahah! I tend to like non-canon pairing better too. xD I see. So that means that it's much better to have no fan service at all? ^^

MaiMai: What is an oranyan? And also troll guys? xD THanks for answering!

GeminiStar00: Letting a character wear a costume or something that he would not be caught dead in is fan service enough. Dress up is fun. xD

NatsukiDeath: Thank you very much! ^^

Boniae: Jocks? Like those playboy types?xD Thank you so very much for answering!

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#27 Post by Megumi »

The.... hero. Usually he has the best story, best look, best everything. I don't know why but I somehow often hit on the main guy even if it is not said that he is the main guy.

If not, I often go for the antisocial guy. So I guess tsundere?

Huh. I like tsundere because they're usually sweet inside. I am the kind of girl that just HATES to see the boy be nice to everybody. No. Be nice just to me. xD

Actually, if the story is good, 2 is enough. Actually, sometimes, I just finish one path because that character was so good that I didn't want to break his heart by dating another character. (I swear, IT HAPPENS!)

Well, kinda both. In Tokimeki girl's side, the girls often ended bitchy on me or just went uh... downright stealing the guy I want. So it's annoying.

...Yes. Only if it's sweet though.

...Have you played Tokimeki girl's side first kiss? THE PERVERTED PRINCIPLE AND THE SHOTA.

Yes. Lots. Fan service = the true way of fandom!
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

MaiMai
Yandere

#28 Post by MaiMai »

Julie wrote: MaiMai: What is an oranyan? And also troll guys? xD THanks for answering!
I sort of explained it already :B

Julie
Regular

#29 Post by Julie »

Actually, if the story is good, 2 is enough. Actually, sometimes, I just finish one path because that character was so good that I didn't want to break his heart by dating another character. (I swear, IT HAPPENS!)
Megumi: For real? Hahahahah! :lol: I hate perverts too. xD

MaiMai: What are examples of existing characters that are oranyan and troll? xD

MaiMai
Yandere

#30 Post by MaiMai »

Julie: I can't think of any troll guy at the top of my head. As for oranyan, Kyo Sohma from Fruits Basket and Gokudera Hayato from Reborn! are examples