What is your type of guy when playing a GxB game?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
night_serenade
Regular
Projects: Strings of Fate, Turnip in Love, other secret projects XD

Re: What is your type of guy when playing a GxB game?

#31 Post by night_serenade »

Just had to pop into this discussion because

KYO <3 AND GOKUDERA <3
Two of my favourites from their respected series' XD

-runs away-
.:.Alice here~!

Writer, Proof Reader/Editor, Programmer, and Artist ;; always willing to help in whatever way I can, so don't be afraid to send me a message! =]

Here are the public projects I’m currently involved in (you should check them out =D)!!
Strings of Fate | Turnip in Love | Soul & Heart

My Deviant Art~ [I just recently created a new account, and am learning how to colour digitally, so right now there's only a limited and poor show of art XD]

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#32 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Oranyan sounds more like a version of tsundere with the tsuntsun part being more "I AM LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!" than "EFF YOU".

If you've ever watched Hetalia, America is a perfect example of the first one (I AM LOUD AND OBNOXIOUS!), whilst England perfectly represents the second one (EFF YOU.)

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#33 Post by Aleema »

1. What kind of guy do you go for first?
Tsundere. :3
2. Your favorite stereotype/s for a guy (tsundere,shota,etc.) and why.
^^ why? Because pushovers are lame and nots hots.
3. What is your preferred number of eligible guys in the game?
2 *gasp* WHAT? Yes, 2. Just 3 alone makes it seem like too much of a buffet, since I like realism.
4. Do you think having a canon pair is good or bad? Why?
If you want a deep story. If you just want to simulate something, I don't mind. But I generally like a good plot and strong characters, and some character are more compatible and make a better story than others.
5. Is it okay to have a 'good' ending with a guy that is not romantic?
Absolutely. I'm kinda sticking up for this in my own game right now. My character artist unfortunately draws very attractive men, and even though you can't date every man you see, some players are anticipating that you can, or at least openly wishing they could ... I just personally cannot support some pairings.
6. What kind of guy do you NOT like that would make you go for him last or not at all)?
I'm going to echo "rapists" that was said before. Rape is a horrible introduction, and is never appropriate.
The only rape I've ever been okay with was in those trashy romance novels where the guy persuades the woman into allowing him to have sex (because he "prefers them willin'!"), and they're destined for each other, etc, so it's not like ... she's crying and in real pain with a gun to her head or something. In fact, any reference to their sex being painful is the hugest turn off.
I also hate shota. The older I get, the sicker it makes me to look at little boys like that.
7. Do you like fan service? xD
Yyyeah, if it's appealing to my gender. But keep it in small/infrequent doses. Too much cheapens your game, and unless you're going for fluff, you don't want that.

Julie
Regular

#34 Post by Julie »

Robert Kirkland: Thank you very much for the info! I understand it now. And I haven't watch Hetalia yet. Is it any good? xD

Aleema: RockRobin! I can't wait for your game! I also read that most players want to date the non-dateable characters that's why I understand. xD I know some games that have rape in them and I hate them too. Thank you so much for answering!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#35 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Julie wrote:Lumen_Astrum: What do you mean by military type guys? :D Thank you for answering!
I meant those guys that have military-like attitudes. :D
You know, strict, very serious, and likes to frown and stare to people a lot but then has a heart deep inside.
Well, that's how I know it XD
They tend to be VERY romantic~ C:

No problem, it was fun to fill this up~

Deji
Cheer Idol; Not Great at Secret Identities
Projects: http://bit.ly/2lieZsA
Organization: Sakevisual, Apple Cider, Mystery Parfait
Tumblr: DejiNyucu
Deviantart: DejiNyucu

#36 Post by Deji »

Julie wrote:Deji: Hahah! I tend to like non-canon pairing better too. xD I see. So that means that it's much better to have no fan service at all? ^^
Sometimes I like the canon pairing, sometimes I don't, it depends on the story :P
And I think no fanservice >>>> OOC fanservice.
Equal treatment to each character doesn't work when it feels forceful, but again people may complain "why do characters X and Y have a shirtless scene and characters Z and W don't??? Unfair!!! >O" >>;
Tumblr | Twitter
Forever busy :')
When drawing something, anything, USE REFERENCES!! Use your Google-fu!
Don't trust your memory, and don't blindly trust what others teach you either.
Research, observation, analysis, experimentation and practice are the key! (:

Robert Kirkland
Regular

#37 Post by Robert Kirkland »

Julie wrote:Robert Kirkland: Thank you very much for the info! I understand it now. And I haven't watch Hetalia yet. Is it any good? xD
Depends on the person. My friend doesn't fancy it but he's a male so that might have something to do with it. :lol:
Every female I've seen likes at least one of the characters though, even if they don't like or watch the show.

Megumi
Regular
Projects: Love Buffet

#38 Post by Megumi »

Julie wrote:Megumi: For real? Hahahahah! :lol: I hate perverts too. xD
Well, truthfully, I preferred a story with less guys but with more coherence than having 12 guys datable and the story completely messed up (for instance: StarrySky)

In StarrySky, I never actually finished ALL the routes in the seasons (and I even abandoned playing winter because I got tired of it) because I got so annoyed at the inconsistency! You got MARRIED in spring but then, I basically dumped my CHILDHOOD friends in summer so I can hit on the archery club? DID I MENTION THAT APPARENTLY THE HEROINE IS THE ONLY FEMALE CHARACTER OF THE SCHOOL ? AND GUESS THE REASON?

"Maybe the entrance test was too specialized because I was the only girl."

Please, tell me you're thinking 'wtf' too...

Queen of Darkness 2nd Reproduction... well, I wanted to finish the demon king and stop playing... Because he was really a good character. *sighs*

Truthfully, quantity doesn't equal quality. A quality game makes it me want to replay it and keep it. A quantity harem game? Lol, I never finish them because I get tired of it.
La vie est un rêve, c'est le réveil qui nous tue.

Love Buffet

To read about (crackish) reviews for otome games, click here.

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#39 Post by EternalDream »

Code: Select all

EternalDream: See post above for the definition of 'canon'. xD Oh and I also feel embarrassed when my family sees me playing games. They start to make comments about the art and stuff. xD
LOL I seee XD Mine don't actually say anything which makes it even more awkward lol

Well, truthfully, I preferred a story with less guys but with more coherence than having 12 guys datable and the story completely messed up (for instance: StarrySky)
I looove Starry Sky 8D... for it's drawings. Love Kazuaki <3 Personally, I just pretend the heroine's not the same girl lol Though that's sometimes hard when the CGs come XD

Megumi
Regular

#40 Post by Megumi »

Well, it IS hard when they are mentioned in the game too.

And lol, yeah, I WISH I could forget it was another character... BUT WHEN THE REDHAIR THAT IS SUPPOSED TO HAVE GONE BACK TO FRANCE REAPPEARS IN THE CG? LOL

And did I mention I speak French? Well, what he says is NOT French. xD I hated Spring so hard! >_<

My favorite must be Autumn. The nurse was awesome. Then, it's summer for the kouhai and the sweet-tooth scorpio~

Either way, you guys got my point. No messed-up story please~

Love Buffet

EternalDream
Veteran
Completed: Secret Santa
Projects: Memory Lane

#41 Post by EternalDream »

My favorite must be Autumn. The nurse was awesome. Then, it's summer for the kouhai and the sweet-tooth scorpio~
Hehe, I love the nurse too! Out of all of them... he pronounced english the best (Though it was with a british accent XD) Also love scorpio <3 Just because I'm a pisces lol... Yeah, even though I'm not french, I did notice Yoh pronouncing it off (I DO know some french lol)

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#42 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Ooh, I like this.

I usually (if I know ahead of time) go for the canon guy. If there isn't a defined one/there isn't one, I will go for the mature acting one. Especially if he has glasses. 8D Or nerdy people. They're bound to have glasses. If he wear contacts, he's a disappointment. XD

MEGANE~ And tsunderes. Always. Sometimes I like jerkasses...as long as they have hearts of gold. :D

I don't usually go for shotas, but I make exceptions for shota tsunderes...if they have glasses. -shot- They're rare in VNs though. Please consider.

Ah, well...three. I usually only go for the person I like, and then I end up not playing after that much... orz

It's good if you're going to make a sequel, and make the canon pair's child the main character. XD

If you're not going to have one, I prefer it to be more open ended...unless for plot reasons the canon pairing is the pairing for a reason.

Actually, someone should make a friendship game XD
I wouldn't really mind, especially if the guy is too young, or...married -shot- Or too old.

6. What kind of guy do you NOT like that would make you go for him last or not at all)?

Uh...I don't usually go for popular guys (like Derek from Re:Alistair, though I did finish his path...), or people who don't seem interesting to me. And, like I said, I usually don't go for shotas...unless they're awesome shotas. Like Ian from Fantasia.

Ugu...not particularly.
But then again, my preferred kind of guy is someone who wears glasses...so maybe the fact that they are wearing glasses is a sort of fan service...

Honestly, if you're planning to make an otome game, you should put guys that you like...unless...you have bizarre tastes like ...rapists or whatever was said before. XD
deviantART
---------------------

Julie
Regular

#43 Post by Julie »

Lumen_Astrum: So they are like tsunderes too? xD

Deji: What I have in mind is more than just shirtless men actually. Hahahah! xD I think to be careful, I will not put any fan service. xD Thank you very much!

Robert Kirkland: Is it not a shounen show?

Megumi: I know Starry Sky but I haven't played it yet. But based on what I have read and watched, the only good thing about that game is the art. I don't think there is a solid storyline? xD

EternalDream: But do they stare at your game? xD

EternalDream and Megumi: I HATE HOW THE MAIN GIRL DOESN'T HAVE ANY EYES!

lepapillonrouge: I hate rapists. I do not think I will make that happen. xD Thank you for answering! But I do not think I will be making a game. I am content with just helping other people with their games. ^^

Aetheria
Regular

#44 Post by Aetheria »

It kind of varies, really - usually whichever path looks like it'll be the most interesting story.

I'd like to say I don't have one, but actually I think I tend to like megane characters... maybe I'm just biased because I wear glasses myself. xD

...As many as makes sense?

A "canon pair" only makes sense if there's only one character to pursue. Having other paths be possible but not the "true" ending is just annoying, because it sets up a choice apparently based on the player's own taste, but then tells the player that any other choice but the "canon" one isn't good enough. If you're going to go to the trouble of making multiple endings, they shouldn't feel tacked-on while the "canon" ending gets all the effort spent on it.

I don't see why not, although if there's also a romantic ending most players will feel like they lost anyway.

Psychopathic characters whom the heroine can magically cure with sweetness. That's just too improbable to be worth reading. And shota - bleh. And pervs - double bleh.

I don't care for it, no. It always makes me roll my eyes and sigh long-sufferingly.

Megumi
Regular

#45 Post by Megumi »

Julie wrote:Megumi: I know Starry Sky but I haven't played it yet. But based on what I have read and watched, the only good thing about that game is the art. I don't think there is a solid storyline? xD

EternalDream: But do they stare at your game? xD

EternalDream and Megumi: I HATE HOW THE MAIN GIRL DOESN'T HAVE ANY EYES!

Truthfully, the storyline is not solid at all. In Spring she is a first year, in summer a second, in autumn idk and winter, she is a second. She is basically supposed to be the only female of the school which apparently makes her 'attractive, the center of all male attention', etc.

...AND ALSO FEAR THE EYES. I found a screenshot of one of the game... well, they allowed the heroine to have eyes if you turn it on. (YOU HAVE THE EYE OPTION LOL) and well...

That's what I was doing with my friends:

Meg: LOOK
Meg: -inserts link-
Meg: I don't know which one is creepier. The one with eyes or the one without
Friend1: XD
Friend2: both
Friend1: yeah

...She looked like she was going to eat me or something. creeps. *brrrrrr*

Love Buffet