I've made a very basic renpy player in flash as3

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

Re: I've made a very basic renpy player in flash as3

#31 Post by jack_norton »

Do you plan to allow resources to be put in a .swf file? I don't think you can upload to kongregate a folder with all the various assets in it ?
Also, variable assignment and if ... then doesn't work, right?
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

SelakSalamSalak

#32 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

jack_norton wrote:Do you plan to allow resources to be put in a .swf file? I don't think you can upload to kongregate a folder with all the various assets in it ?
Yes, I wanted to try compiling for iphone with the flash packager, so I need to implement loading assets embedded in a swf. Should be fairly straightforward. I'll make it search for embedded the assets in the internal namespace first, and if they are not available it would try to load them from an external file.

I can allow to add resources by code with the embed command or alternatively to import them to the library of the .fla and export them for Actionscript using the filename probably. This would require some flash knowledge though.

ninjagrass
Regular
Projects: To Love Ru Trial Trouble, Bleach Battle Ignition, A new secret project...

#33 Post by ninjagrass »

I can't seem to run it. I replace the game folder with the one for my game and I just get a black screen....

SelakSalamSalak

#34 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

ninjagrass wrote:I can't seem to run it. I replace the game folder with the one for my game and I just get a black screen....
It definitely runs in my dev enviroment. Maybe you'll need to upload to a server to workaround the flash security measures that won't let swfs load local files from your HardDrive
Can you try using renpyAS3Logger.html ? What error do you get?

ninjagrass
Regular
Projects: To Love Ru Trial Trouble, Bleach Battle Ignition, A new secret project...

#35 Post by ninjagrass »

When I run renpyAS3Logger.html, it comes with a blank screen with a bug. I click the bug and inspect and I get this code. I am running this with flash player, firefox and internet explorer and no luck.

Apparantly forum thinks the code is some 'attack vector', so uploaded on mediafire.

http://www.mediafire.com/?fs3pgl721wsr936

SelakSalamSalak

#36 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

Just got a spyware following your link, I'm writing from the phone now and trying to remove the virus. Please remove the post.

SelakSalamSalak

#37 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

Maybe I wasn't clear, you need to upload to your hosting, the server with your domain name, not to mediafire.

Alternatively try this to run it locally: http://kb2.adobe.com/cps/093/4c093f20.html
The article explains the flash restriction to load local files and how we As3 developers set the paths to do it.

SelakSalamSalak

#38 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

jack_norton wrote:Do you plan to allow resources to be put in a .swf file? I don't think you can upload to kongregate a folder with all the various assets in it ?
Also, variable assignment and if ... then doesn't work, right?
Hi Jack, boolean vars and if do work in the Question. Also, I've commited the last changes demonstrating how to embed files. The result is the AS3player+ The Question in one file, you can see it here:
http://code.google.com/p/renpy-player-a ... estion.swf

The assets and script files need to be embedded by code, as you can see in this file:
http://code.google.com/p/renpy-player-a ... /Embeds.as

The player will try to load any asset mentioned in script.rpy as embeds first and if it doesn't find them will try to download them.

I thought I could use the Flash IDE to import the assets to the library, but it wouldn't allow .rpy files as text, so the only way is by code as shown above. Might look scary to non AS3 programmers, but in fact it would require to replace the filenames listed in that file for the ones used in your game, replacing "." and "/" in the filenames and paths by underscores. Then recompile and it should run or throw errors visible in the debug html

Now that I have all in one file, I'll try to compile for iphone!

jack_norton
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Too many! See my homepage
Projects: A lot! See www.winterwolves.com
Tumblr: winterwolvesgames

#39 Post by jack_norton »

Nice, will check this tomorrow (late here).
I suppose though that nested menu/if aren't supported, right? that was one of my biggest problems when I tried to port Heileen for XNA...
follow me on Image Image Image
computer games

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#40 Post by pondrthis »

Wouldn't it seem more useful to make Flash scripts playable in Ren'Py rather than the other way around? It's easy to create a VN engine in Flash, but it's tough to write any other kind of game (minigame for example) in Python. So I feel like more benefit would come from creating a Flash embedder in Ren'Py.

...Or did I read somewhere that such an option was already available? I can't remember if "modest embedded Flash compatibility" was advertised for Ren'Py or KiriKiri.

(On lookup, KiriKiri docs say "supports Macromedia Flash playback", so hell if I know if modern Adobe Flash works.)

Rosstin
Veteran
Completed: Rex Rocket, Kitty Love, King's Ascent
Projects: Road Redemption, Queen At Arms
Organization: Aqualuft Games

#41 Post by Rosstin »

Can someone post a website with The Question or another game running thru this? I'm really interested and I'd like to see it in action.

SelakSalamSalak

#43 Post by SelakSalamSalak »

asterazul wrote:Can someone post a website with The Question or another game running thru this? I'm really interested and I'd like to see it in action.
http://code.google.com/p/renpy-player-a ... f&can=2&q=