NaNoRenO 2006- Tick tock people!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
bookie
Veteran

#31 Post by bookie »

clubanimon wrote:You should probably attach me to bookie, theres no way i can complete two peices at once, particuarly since this is the week before finals here at campus ^^;

unless bookie doesn't want my name on 'Well Met' >>;
Of course I'll be putting your name on Well Met! :D

clubanimon
Regular

#32 Post by clubanimon »

Yay! *rolls*

RedSlash
Veteran

#33 Post by RedSlash »

It's nice to see that NanoReno is still as active as the year before! I've actually just only got started playing last years games. Good luck to all in this year. I continue to chicken out this year as well..

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#34 Post by mikey »

I envy you, now you have this huge selection of games to play. Anyway, nice to see you back again, you haven't been around for some time. :wink:

RedSlash
Veteran

#35 Post by RedSlash »

Been busy with work for the most part. Still busy but taking the time to check out everything. Atleast I know I'll have double the amount of stuff to play at the end of the month!

Watercolorheart
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Controlled Chaos / Sum of the Parts / "that" Midna game with ZONEsama
Projects: Sparse Series/Oddments Shop original cartoon in Pevrea; Cybernetic Duels (fighting game); Good Vibin'
Organization: Watercolorheart Studios
IRC Nick: BCS
Tumblr: adminwatercolor
Deviantart: itsmywatercolorheart
Github: Watercolordevdev
Soundcloud: Watercollider
itch: watercolorheart

#36 Post by Watercolorheart »

Tick tock. Boy, do I feel it. Writing comes hard when you're stuck. You're like: what comes next?

Some dull scenes. Better make them short.

After that?

I have no clue ...

rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#37 Post by rioka »

Damn, half the month is gone! >.<

bookie
Veteran

#38 Post by bookie »

I know! Where's the time going!

Playing a game over and over and over again can do things to your mind.

Akimaru
Regular

#39 Post by Akimaru »

how are we suposed to put our finished games up?
I wasn't around Nanoreno last year, so I'm a bit clueless.

Do you post them in the completed games section once you're finished or should we all wait till april 1st?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#40 Post by PyTom »

Usually, people make a website, and then post a new thread in the completed games section linking to their game. If you don't have a website, you can email your game to Eclipse or myself, and we'll add it to the Ren'Ai archives for you. (Assuming it's even arguably a Ren'Ai game. Otherwise, we'll find some sort of alternate hosting for it.)
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

herenvardo
Veteran

#41 Post by herenvardo »

Akimaru wrote:how are we suposed to put our finished games up?
I wasn't around Nanoreno last year, so I'm a bit clueless.
PyTom wrote:Otherwise, we'll find some sort of alternate hosting for it.
Well, I guess I can host your games if you need. I'd only ask for some requisites, which I feel very reasonable:
  • Anticipation: Please let me know with some days of anticipation, so I can better handle it.
  • Size: If it's less than 50Mb, there will be no trouble. I've looked in renai.us and the biggest file there is around 30Mb, so I guess noone will break this limit. If somebody does, I can still consider hosting it, but only if I feel it's worth the space.
  • Open-source: This is not strictly necessary, but I'd like that you publish the games you want me to host as open-source. Take care that the art associated with the source doesn't need to be open (and narration/literacy is also art, so only structural or engine code are trully open). I ask for open-source simply because my web is devoted to open-source software :P
So, don't let hosting limitations prevent your games from being published ;)
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

#42 Post by PyTom »

I should point out that it's okay to release your game whenever it's done. There's no need to wait until April 1st to unleash your game.

To the rest of the NaNoRenO participants, I should point out that if a few extra days make your game better, then by all means take them. What matters is that you actually release your game, rather then postponing it to never. The goal of NaNoRenO is to force yourself to complete a game, not to compromise it.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#43 Post by mikey »

PyTom wrote:I should point out that if a few extra days make your game better, then by all means take them. What matters is that you actually release your game, rather then postponing it to never. The goal of NaNoRenO is to force yourself to complete a game, not to compromise it.
Hmmm, now it's a single-digit number of days until the deadline is over. Last year we had around 12 participants, the final game count was 5+1. So this year, with 16 people signed up.... 8)

mangokiwi.com

Where do we announce our intent to entry?

#44 Post by mangokiwi.com »

Hi all,

we haven't finished our game yet, but we would like to enter NaNoRenO. Is this post enough for an application of entry to the contest? What else is required.

Also, 'romance' is pretty open ended. Would friendship of two close friends be counted as romance (we're not doing the fruits again, don't worry!)? We have a dynamic story where we try to capture relationships (friendship, enmity/antagonism, self actualization) on a backdop of an action filled mythical story line. Adding a love interest just to fit criteria will be jarring to the reader (I know I hate when stories throw in token love interest and/or token minority characters for no other purpose than to cover their a**es).

Thanks,
Diwant

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator

Re: Where do we announce our intent to entry?

#45 Post by PyTom »

mangokiwi.com wrote: Also, 'romance' is pretty open ended. Would friendship of two close friends be counted as romance (we're not doing the fruits again, don't worry!)? We have a dynamic story where we try to capture relationships (friendship, enmity/antagonism, self actualization) on a backdop of an action filled mythical story line. Adding a love interest just to fit criteria will be jarring to the reader (I know I hate when stories throw in token love interest and/or token minority characters for no other purpose than to cover their a**es).
I'd guess that no, that wouldn't count as romance. But I'm not sure how many of the NaNoRenO2 games will be romantic, especially compared to the NaNoRenO games. I think that what you're doing is might be in the spirit, however, even if you focus on non-ren'ai storylines.

One of the interesting things about VNs is that they're one of the few visual media where you can really get into characters heads. You very rarely see manga, anime, or TV have first-person bits... and the thought boxes in American Comics tend to be relatively short, when present at all. The reason Ren'Ai games are such a large fraction of VNs is that the topic is a match for the medium. But, of course, there might be other stories that can benefit from being told from a first-person perspective... is yours one of them?