NaNoRenO 2006- Tick tock people!

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
rioka
Royal Manga Tutor
Completed: Amgine Park, Garden Society: Kykuit, Metropolitan Blues (art)

#76 Post by rioka »

lol I admit I have backups somewhere in the site but ever since GSK - I've gotten wiser about those kinds of things. ;D Nice try though! ^^

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#77 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

My project is still progressing, as evidenced by the very iffy numbers in my signature.
It's just... really depressing. The main character, I mean. Perhaps TaleWeaver can empathize with me somewhat, after having made Metropolitan Blues. Though, he's ten times the writer I am, I'm sure... So maybe it's not a problem for him. It's just, I find it hard to get in the mood to write something depressing, as I'm quite cheerful by nature. So writing goes pretty slowly. I've contemplated just "forgetting it", but I have decided to keep going for many reasons.
mikey wrote:well I dare say that all the NNRN/IRNM projects have been transformed into "it's done when it's done"
I feel that accurately describes my project. I'm in no particular rush- but I would like to complete it before school resumes in the next six weeks or so.

Wish me luck everyone!

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#78 Post by PyTom »

I would like to complete it before school resumes in the next six weeks or so.
Just in time for "Antipodal IntRenAiMo".
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#79 Post by papillon »

After seeing the post before that, my eyes skipped down to where my mouse was partially covering Pytom's words and my brain filled in

"Antidepressant RenAiMo"

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#80 Post by musical74 »

*waits patiently....OK maybe not so patiently....for the day that eclipse sends Blind Love out to an unsuspecting world*

Question for ya, Shirai: How do you stay motivated to write something like this? Need to take notes...back in HS I started an undertaking with a friend to make a game...and we got discouraged partway through and scrapped the idea. It was too bad, really...before we gave it up it has the makings of a good *coming of age* game,

Antidepressant RenAiMo? hmmmmmm....does that mean it's a happy entry?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#81 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

>>musical74

I'm probably not the best person to ask that ^_^;;; This is my first game, and I have yet to complete it. But since you asked...
I show my progress to a select few people who aren't part of the project. I don't do it very often, but it makes me want to continue when they say that they like what they see, and that they're looking forward to the final product. And I'd like to think that some people here might be looking forward to it- even if just a little bit. I'll sometimes play someone else's game, to remind myself of my overall goal- a game with a complete experience, instead of something that's just sitting only half finished, never to see the light of day.
All of these are pretty external, but the biggest motivator for me is internal. It's a belief in my project. I personally relate to the core ideas I'm trying to put into my game. So I'm interested in the final product too- I want to see how well I can convey what I'm trying to show

monele
Lemma-Class Veteran

#82 Post by monele »

I wasn't asked directly but I'd like to add my experience ^^;

I almost abandoned my project at some point. Just... didn't touch it for a week. I was really thinking "this won't go any further" at that point. And then, while chatting with my parents, I thought I'd show them since they hadn't seen recent progress for a while. It's not that they went "woah" and such. They were just mildly appreciative. It's seeing everything I had done so far after that week-long pause. I realized : "It's really not so bad... and I've worked so much on it... I can't let this go to waste". And bam, I'm back into it, maybe even more motivated than I was before.

mikey
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: atpprojects

#83 Post by mikey »

A week's break isn't really something unusual. Sometimes you need to wait for others to finish, or something technical comes up and you're stuck for a while. Or you just go for a vacation.

A break can often freshen up your mind. But you can't make it too long, so you don't get disconnected. This was one of the reasons why 6+month-projects like RT and GR were relatively exhausting for me, you needed to have it all in the back of your head, even during short breaks.

I think it just shows that the truly biggest problem is always motivation or willpower. A lot of people may say it's skill, but IMO it's just not the case.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#84 Post by musical74 »

Hmmmmm.....maybe I should restart my game? I have the script on paper somewhere <I think>...looks like we gave it up too soon. Although, I would need to find an artist <no artistic ability as far as drawing goes> and no idea where to go for sound...

*Waits for the day that eclipse sends Blind Love out to an unsuspecting world* wonder who's more eager for her to finish the game...me or mikey?
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

ShiraiJunichi
Miko-Class Veteran

#85 Post by ShiraiJunichi »

musical74 wrote:and no idea where to go for sound...
Check the resources thread- I just posted some stuff there

F.I.A
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Winter Shard, EVE, Hyperion

#86 Post by F.I.A »

ShiraiJunichi wrote:My project is still progressing, as evidenced by the very iffy numbers in my signature.
It's just... really depressing. The main character, I mean. Perhaps TaleWeaver can empathize with me somewhat, after having made Metropolitan Blues. Though, he's ten times the writer I am, I'm sure... So maybe it's not a problem for him. It's just, I find it hard to get in the mood to write something depressing, as I'm quite cheerful by nature. So writing goes pretty slowly. I've contemplated just "forgetting it", but I have decided to keep going for many reasons.
I guess I can understand you on such matter. I myself am making a game centering on one main character with a black soul, but I just cannot get myself to put my characters in serious mess. It aches my heart and makes me think "Come on, you are hurting the poor girl!".

But alas, the real problem with my project currently is that I am not with my square partner(:cough:desktop:cough:).

herenvardo
Veteran

the old that's strong does not wither

#87 Post by herenvardo »

Hi.
I've noticed that the line "Herenvardo - demo of battle system, progress unknown" has been in the list at http://www.renaigames.net/nanoreno.html for too long.
Since I got so much support from the site, I think you at least deserve to know what happened to the project. Many events triggered toghether:
- My artist failed completely. He handed me some initial sketches (a few had nothing to do with what I had asked him), but afterwards had to dedicate too much time to studies.
- Music also failed, but that time for technical reasons. My brother (who has been playing guitar since he was 6 years old) was making it. It was actually great! It wasn't more elaborated than needed but the 'combat' theme was very tensing, the 'temple' one very relaxing, and so on. However, when trying to digitalize the sound, our sound card decided not to do so: even with the best filters was impossible to remove the signal's noise to something acceptable.
- Scripting: that part was ready in advance, but for the details described below.
-> Balancing: combats where unbalanced: random encounters became even harder than bosses. I had to tweak the monsters stats. In addition, a last-time issue appeared aggravating that: if the game was saved before a combat and you lost, you could load and retry, but the outcome was always the same... the random number sequences seemed to repeat, and I had no time to solve that.
-> Romance: the romance part of the story was the least interactive of the entire game, and I wanted it to be just the opposite. I had to rewrite the 'fake-AI' underlying code. Also no time for that.

So, by the half of may it seemed that the project would never be ended, and I had to keep three jobs, so it was dropped. I hoped I could someday retake it but never seemed to be a chance.
Afterwards (by October's end) I moved from Spain to Ireland, leaving behind college, friends, family and job just to be at my girlfriend's side (hei, look, you can take ideas from here)... I now use a laptop on the bed 'cos we are sharing a room so small that we have not even chairs in it... however, it performs better than my 8 years old desktop computer.
Now... I'm currently involved in a huge, unrelated, development project, but I'm more willing than ever to retake the project. I don't hope being able to do it for this year's -mo. I'll say something more accurate by the end of February. However, if I have no time to retake the project, I will try to do something for nano+ or, in the worst case, I'll drop by from time to time and put my 13 years of experience in programming at the service of those participants that have a bad time in enconding a bit of functionality.

So, that's what has been happening (in addition to everything that is unrelated to the project... it's been almost a year!). If you have intention to update the 'status' list, I'd suggest puting something like:
"Project droped, but going to be retaken."
I have failed to meet my deadlines so many times I'm not announcing my projects anymore. Whatever I'm working on, it'll be released when it is ready :P