Dramatic cliches

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
clannadman

Dramatic cliches

#1 Post by clannadman »

Are there any storylines or aspects of drama that you consider too cliche and overdone so that it's difficult to empathise with the characters? I want to know since I don't want to do a dramatic storyline that has less power to it because it's been done before to death

Abeiramar
Regular

Re: Dramatic cliches

#2 Post by Abeiramar »

It's not about clichés, it's the way you tell the story that makes it good.
Some pieces fit good together, others don't... It's kind of hard to explain but this is what shows the difference a good storyteller from a bad one.

Anyway, one cliché that's very popular nowadays is "a arrogant character whose tragic TRAUMATIC past explains why (s)he is so mean and ohh because of this his/her personality so deep"
This was... really been overdone to death. You can often see it often in characters with mary sue/gary stu traits.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#3 Post by teacup »

I usually dont have any problem with cliches as long as its done well. Although, sometimes a cliche storyline can make me avoid a VN if I feel like I've seen it a thousand times before. There's no point in reading the same story twice after all.
I do have two cliches I really hate though.
1) The protagonist has amnesia/memory loss.
Unless you add a really creative spin on it, that's extremely overdone and should be avoided at all costs. XD
2) The protagonist moves to a new place and meets someone they feel is "familiar", but they don't know why. And the person turns out to be their childhood friend.
I've seen hundreds of stories like this. ^^;;

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran
Organization: happyB
Tumblr: happybackwards

#4 Post by Aleema »

Is "Slice of Life" cliche? 'Cuz I'm tired of seeing it. No drama is worse than cliche drama, in my opinion. =P

Alera
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Tortichki // Zayay // Hero's Spirit
Deviantart: psyalera
itch: psyalera

#5 Post by Alera »

There are too many cliché stuffs out there.
And I have to agree with @Abeiramar - it's about how the story is told, not that much the content when it comes to that. If you're skilled enough- you can make the most cliché story into something original.
Games:
❤️ Zayay [Otome?][BxPlayer][NaNo 2013]
❤️ Tortichki [Drag&Drop mini game]

Other games I've worked on:
My Heart's Flame Emissary of Starlight Freedom From Silence Sickness
And many more unannounced/secret projects. (. .)

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#6 Post by papillon »

Aleema wrote:Is "Slice of Life" cliche? 'Cuz I'm tired of seeing it. No drama is worse than cliche drama, in my opinion. =P
As far as I understand the term, you can still have plenty of dramatic cliches in a slice-of-life story... SOL more means that there isn't an overarching plot like a mystery to solve, a war to fight, or a demon to banish. Discovering that your classmate is actually your childhood friend that you forgot because of amnesia and then discovering after you kiss her that she's actually your half-sister and also dying of cancer is still slice-of-life, as far as I know.

James
Regular
Projects: The Alumnus

#7 Post by James »

Cliches are not necessary a bad thing, it can actually work in your favor if you do it right. Just look at the popular drama shows with lots of seasons. They have so many cliches to them and people spend hours being addicted to it! Cliches that seems to be forever in fashion are the supernatural kinds (Ghosts, Vampires, Magics, you know the whole enchilada...). Some writers can pull it off and some can't, you never know if your one until you try it once.

I'm going to go for the American high school "Glee" cliches that overly exaggerate a groups of kids but have enough truth to them so adults can relate it during their high school days. My suggestion is just do whatever you want. Whatever idea you thought of, somebody at sometime, someplace, some point, thought of it first. You can never avoid cliches in writing.
ImageImage
W.I.P. Script demo available

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Aleema »

papillon wrote:
Aleema wrote:Is "Slice of Life" cliche? 'Cuz I'm tired of seeing it. No drama is worse than cliche drama, in my opinion. =P
As far as I understand the term, you can still have plenty of dramatic cliches in a slice-of-life story... SOL more means that there isn't an overarching plot like a mystery to solve, a war to fight, or a demon to banish. Discovering that your classmate is actually your childhood friend that you forgot because of amnesia and then discovering after you kiss her that she's actually your half-sister and also dying of cancer is still slice-of-life, as far as I know.
From the wikipedia page, slice of life is not very appealing: "It may or may not contain any plot progress and little character development, and often has no exposition, conflict, or dénouement, with an open ending." If there are SOL games with those things, I might be inclined to say they're mislabeled? If not, then my cliche should be re-classified as: "stories without a story." I guess I'm not artsy-fartsy enough to enjoy avant-garde storytelling just yet. I just hate sitting through a movie where nothing happens for 90% of the movie. Oh internet, what haven't you ruined for me?

SusanTheCat
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SusanTheCat »

I like the other definition Wikipedia offers: "the realistic description or representation of events and situations in everyday life in literature, film, journalism, etc" http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slice_of_life

The idea being the you just grabbed a section of someone's everyday life.

I do agree that "Stories without a story" are dull. Mind you, one of my novels is titled "The Girl with No STORY." :)

Susan
" It's not at all important to get it right the first time. It's vitally important to get it right the last time. "
— Andrew Hunt and David Thomas

clannadman

#10 Post by clannadman »

I think maybe Slice of Life can be incorporated to begin with so that it makes the impact of the drama much better. Like a buildup with nothing happening practically then suddenly something very interesting and dramatic happens. Tension is important

Aleema
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by Aleema »

clannadman wrote:I think maybe Slice of Life can be incorporated to begin with so that it makes the impact of the drama much better. Like a buildup with nothing happening practically then suddenly something very interesting and dramatic happens. Tension is important
I agree with this completely. Some of the best horror films work like this. Granted, something eventually does happen, so I wouldn't consider it story-less. But just opening up the word processor and just BSing day-to-day stuff and hoping you run into something interesting isn't very exciting to anyone but yourself. =P I'm exaggerating, but yeah.

Uhhh, this isn't really being on topic anymore. So here is another cliche: teleporting a normal person into another world/time period, and then that person becomes their savior.

OokamiKasumi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 14 games released -- and Counting.
Organization: DarkErotica Games
Deviantart: OokamiKasumi

#12 Post by OokamiKasumi »

clannadman wrote:Are there any storylines or aspects of drama that you consider too cliche ...?
It's not the Plot people are tired of, it's reaching the same Ending over and over and over... Go ahead and write a cliche' story, just END it in a totally different way. THAT'S what makes something Not a cliche.

The number one most common --and most popular-- cliche' is "Girl Gets Boy." There isn't a VN out there that doesn't use this. However, if we change the plot to where the cute boy she kissed at the beach and decided to pursue turns out to be her teacher, or her brother's best friend, or her best friend's brother, or even a girl in disguise, this changes "Girl Gets Boy" into: "Girl gets WRONG boy."

Some more cliche's: from Love Tropes

> Anguished Declaration Of Love
> Hopeless Suitor
> Caught With Your Pants Down

The trick is to take that cliche and end it in an Unexpected way.

> Anguished Declaration Of Love - It wasn't a declaration of Love, it just looked that way.
> Hopeless Suitor - He already HAS the girl, he just doesn't know it.
> Caught With Your Pants Down -- They weren't down by Accident.

Changing the Ending is what makes a familiar --and favorite-- story Fresh and New.
Last edited by OokamiKasumi on Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Ookami Kasumi ~ Purveyor of fine Smut.
Most recent Games Completed: For ALL my completed games visit: DarkErotica Games

"No amount of great animation will save a bad story." -- John Lasseter of Pixar

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#13 Post by sake-bento »

Terminal illnesses meant to make me cry. Do not be wasting my time and my tears. I don't mind crying, and I don't mind terminal illnesses, but I do not like it when people use them just to jerk tears from me. It's cheap. If you want to make me cry, put some effort into it, and if you want to depict a terminal illness, please realize that it's not all gloom and depression every second.

clannadman

#14 Post by clannadman »

OokamiKasumi wrote:
clannadman wrote:Are there any storylines or aspects of drama that you consider too cliche ...?
It's not the Plot people are tired of, it's reaching the same Ending over and over and over... Go ahead and write a cliche' story, just END it in a totally different way. THAT'S what makes something Not a cliche.

The number one most common --and most popular-- cliche' is "Girl Gets Boy." There isn't a VN out there that doesn't use this. However, if we change the plot to where the cute boy she kissed at the beach and decided to pursue turns out to be her teacher, or her brother's best friend, or her best friend's brother, or even a girl in disguise, this changes "Girl Gets Boy" into: "Girl gets WRONG boy."

Some more cliche's: from Love Tropes

> Anguished Declaration Of Love
> Hopeless Suitor
> Caught With Your Pants Down

The trick is to take that cliche and end it in an Unexpected way.

> Anguished Declaration Of Love - It wasn't a declaration of Love, it just looked that way.
> Hopeless Suitor - He already HAS the girl, he just doesn't know it.
> Caught With Your Pants Down -- They weren't down by Accident.

Changing the Ending is what makes a familiar --and favorite-- story Fresh and New.
Would you say a Hopeless Suitor is decent for a start until he finally realises?

kinougames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Working on ミツマタ [Mitsumata (c)].

#15 Post by kinougames »

I'm going to go against everyone and say that there are cliches that I would immediately dismiss.

Anything in which the point is to get a date. I instantly pass those games by. School stuff. It's old, it's been done five million times, there just aren't any new ways to do it. I don't even watch anime with heavy school portions anymore, that's how tired I am of school. Anything that lists romance as a genre. Once again, I pass them by because that's usually code for "shameless fanservice".
Check out the new interactive media project, Mitsumata(c). Follow 8 colorful characters in a story full of drama, horror, all sexualities and exciting gameplay~!

Development blog's up! Visit!