What do you guys feel about bad words on games?

A place to discuss things that aren't specific to any one creator or game.
Forum rules
Ren'Py specific questions should be posted in the Ren'Py Questions and Annoucements forum, not here.
SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

What do you guys feel about bad words on games?

#1 Post by SilverxBlue »

I'm currently writing some sort of fight scene on my VN, and well I was thinking of adding a few words considered inappropriate by other people.

And well... I wanted to ask you guys about your opinions on it. Should I just add it or not? I was all set for adding it before, but I suddenly remembered a a review of a certain game that told everyone that one character released the "f-bomb". And then, I saw one person commenting on it, criticizing the game because "words such as those, are inappropriate and unnecessary for those kinds of games."

Any kind of opinion is welcome, and thanks in advance :), and sorry if you think that I asked such a stupid question. :oops:
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

MiSi
Veteran
Completed: Santa
Projects: On Grey Wings, The Master's Call, Shadowborn ...while having many more in mind ;)

Re: What do you guys feel about bad words on games?

#2 Post by MiSi »

well, the use of such words (but not the overuse) can make your story more authentic... because in reality people do use bad words.

when I started writing myself, I was strangely afraid of using such words... but now... well, I guess, it just became normal to use them when the situation demands it :wink:

Abeiramar
Regular

#3 Post by Abeiramar »

It depends on the character's personality and what kind of audience you're aiming at.
It's better if you don't overuse swear words because they start to lose impact after that.

But I guess... it's ok to use swear words when people are fighting because they often loose their self-control. However, if the character is overall very polite and nice it might end up to sound out of character and the player gets a bigger shock of course :lol: .

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

That commenter also emailed me and made a huge fuss - about a game she would NEVER have played anyway. She had no idea what visual novels were, she was looking for a hidden-object game. :) She also stated that no book or movie should ever use rude language either.

No one who actually chose to buy the game has had any problem with the content at all - it's pretty clear that it's not a kid's game LONG before it gets to the point where anyone uses rude language. (Once! Under extreme stress!) But that review site generally expects family-friendly content.

If your game is packed with vulgarity, some people will love it and some people will hate it. If your characters swear only when appropriate most people won't even notice. Some might. Can't please everyone.

platonicheart
Veteran
Projects: Learning to Love

#5 Post by platonicheart »

It's no big deal actually. As long as the usage of bad words are in moderation, I think you won't find any problem with it. But I think, you should just write beforehand to those who would be playing that it contains bad words.

Currently working on Learning to Love

proofreading: the beach and yuki academy

My DeviantArt: http://platonicheart.deviantart.com/

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#6 Post by SilverxBlue »

MiSi wrote:well, the use of such words (but not the overuse) can make your story more authentic... because in reality people do use bad words.
I'm actually thinking of the same thing, since the genre of my VN is actually "Slice of Life" they why shouldn't I make it closer to reality by using those words. :)
Abeiramar wrote: However, if the character is overall very polite and nice it might end up to sound out of character and the player gets a bigger shock of course .
I was actually planning to do that. :) The character I'm going to us is actually the goody-two-shoed, almost-sure-to-be-valedictorian guy.
@ papillon - I see that you know, what game I was talking about. :lol:
That commenter also emailed me and made a huge fuss - about a game she would NEVER have played anyway. She had no idea what visual novels were, she was looking for a hidden-object game. She also stated that no book or movie should ever use rude language either.

No one who actually chose to buy the game has had any problem with the content at all - it's pretty clear that it's not a kid's game LONG before it gets to the point where anyone uses rude language.

Oh I see, so it seems that s/he only over reacted with that whole "f-bomb" thing. I actually didn't have any problem with it. It didn't even come to me as a surprise, the character who used that word was actually some sort of bad boy anyway.
platonicheart wrote:But I think, you should just write beforehand to those who would be playing that it contains bad words.
Yes of course, I'll make sure I'll do that. :)
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Aetheria
Regular

#7 Post by Aetheria »

When it makes sense for a character to use vulgarities, then why not? (Although you should think carefully about whether it really will give the impression you want; I find, personally, that characters who swear a lot tend to come off as unsympathetic.)

Lots of gratuitous bad language, however, will probably turn off a lot of people to your game.

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#8 Post by pondrthis »

@People who are saying "in moderation it's fine"; "overuse will make it lose its impact":

If your character is a criminal of some kind or simply a bad-mouthed punk, you want it to lose its impact. It really all comes down to characterization.

...and I rather enjoy gratuitous bad language, if for no other reason than it's one sign of more colorful dialogue than the average amateur writer's work. Not the best sign, but it is one sign.

musical74
Eileen-Class Veteran

#9 Post by musical74 »

Bad words in a visual novel? :shock: Oh wait, I don't mind too much...

It really depends on context for me. I mean, if a character is really under stress or extremely surprised or mad, I don't mind, but also depends on said word. Using the *f-bomb* is probably a stronger word than using other swear words, so keep that in mind. If you are suffiently worried about it...you can also use *darn* or *blast* or something like that.
A friend is one that walks in when the world walks out.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#10 Post by papillon »

If your character is a criminal of some kind or simply a bad-mouthed punk, you want it to lose its impact. It really all comes down to characterization.
Also, I've got to say - KiraKira. Tea.

(sadly this joke makes no sense unless you've played said game :) )

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by SilverxBlue »

Aetheria wrote:Lots of gratuitous bad language, however, will probably turn off a lot of people to your game.
Why yes, of course. I would only be using those bad languages on the fight scene anyway, I'm not very comfortable with writing loads of vulgarities. :)

@ pondrthis - I agree with you there, but unfortunately my VN doesn't have those kinds of characters.

@ musical - I've tried doing that (with the use of the word hell), but when I've read the fight scene all over again, it somehow felt so unnatural or something.

Forgot to add this a while ago, Thank you for your opinions everyone, I just decided to add them since no one gave me a good reason on why I shouldn't. :)
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

pondrthis
Veteran
Completed: G-Senjou no Maou Translation

#12 Post by pondrthis »

papillon wrote:KiraKira. Tea.
THIS MOTHERFUCKING CUSTOMER WANTS A FUCKING BEER, RIGHT!?

clannadman

#13 Post by clannadman »

If you feel it's appropriate for your character then go for it. However, if you want to appeal to a more general audience then it's probably better to use it in moderation.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#14 Post by azureXtwilight »

Oswald. Ooooswald.

Oswald without the "F-word" would be dull. XD

Rant aside, it's up to you. Should put warnings before though :D

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran

#15 Post by SilverxBlue »

@ clannadman - Thank you for the advice, I'll make sure I do.

@ azurextwilight - Oh yeah, I almost forgot about Oswald when I was making this post. :lol: I couldn't imagine him without those kinds of words.
Image Image
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!