Lemma Soft Forums

Supporting creators of visual novels and story-based games since 2003.

Visit our new games list, blog aggregator, IRC channel, and Discord (new).
Activation problem? Email pytom@bishoujo.us.
It is currently Thu May 25, 2017 4:39 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Forum rules

Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 2:54 pm 

A free romance game coming August 2017!

http://ddlc.moe

Hi, Monika here!

Welcome to the Literature Club! It's always been a dream of mine to make something special out of the things I love. Now that you're a club member, you can help me make that dream come true in this cute game!

Every day is full of chit-chat and fun activities with all of my adorable and unique club members:
Sayori, the youthful bundle of sunshine who values happiness the most;
Natsuki, the deceivingly cute girl who packs an assertive punch;
Yuri, the timid and mysterious one who finds comfort in the world of books;
...And, of course, Monika, the leader of the club! That's me!

I'm super excited for you to make friends with everyone and help the Literature Club become a more intimate place for all my members. But I can tell already that you're a sweetheart—will you promise to spend the most time with me? ♥

Doki Doki Literature Club is being produced by Team Sirrus, a brand-new development studio hoping to make our mark on the OELVN community right from the beginning. The game has been in development for over a year and contains more than 75,000 words of irresistibly cute and charming dialogue for you to enjoy. Each chapter, you will play a short poem-writing minigame and grow your bond with the club members who enjoy your poem the most. As the club members slowly come out of their shell, you will hear them compare your poem to your previous ones, or even complain that you're trying too hard to impress the other club members! Start to finish, the game is 4-5 hours long for seasoned VN players, but you can bet there is plenty of replay value.

Satchely - Character art
Twitter - DeviantArt

VelinquenT - Background art
Twitter - Pixiv

FAQ

* Are you on social media?
Yes, but I'm somewhat well-known in various online communities and plan to keep my identity a secret until the game's release.

* Why/How is this game free?
Because this is our first game, we want to make sure as many people as possible have the opportunity to play it. We will also be using a pay-what-you-want model with some bonus content available at the $5 mark, and we will also offer some physical merchandise such as posters and keychains. While we plan to continue making games, any financial support will provide us with a greater budget for future development!

* What game engine are you using?
None other than the wonderful Ren'Py. Much of this game would be nearly impossible to create using other VN engines.

* Where can I learn more?
Just keep an eye on this thread and the website! I will be happy to answer questions, but sometimes I may choose not to go into detail in fear of spoiling certain components of the game.

This game is not suitable for children
or those who are easily disturbed.

Profile Send private message  

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 5:47 pm 
Regular

Tumblr: parttimestorier
This looks very cute, and I'm definitely interested in seeing how the poem-writing mini-game works! You don't seem to have given any information about the protagonist - are they a self-insert type character? Also, does the warning that it's "not suitable for those who are easily disturbed" mean there will be some darker elements as well as the cuteness?

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 6:07 pm 

Twitter: @bunnyAdvocate
Tumblr: BunnyAdvocate
Congrats on coming so close to finishing your VN! The artwork looks gorgeous, I wasn't expecting it to be so pretty~

I'm sure it'll be a great story, and I expect there may be some fun surprises in there (:

PostPosted: Wed May 17, 2017 11:54 pm 
Regular

Completed: AOPII
Projects: Starry Dreams, Asterism, Magicana
IRC Nick: Miko
Twitter: @MikomiKisomi
Deviantart: MikomiKisomi
itch.io: MikomiKisomi
Wow, this game looks really nice and well put together! The artwork looks especially nice. I do agree with some of the comments, though- I'd like to know more about the protag. Is he the silent, self-insert type or a defined character? I'm fine with either, I just like knowing.

Good luck on this!

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2017 12:24 am 

Hello again!

For my first demonstration of Doki Doki Literature Club, I'd like to show off the simple animation system we have in place:

Gameplay GIF

As you can see, the character currently speaking comes forward in focus, and the characters elegantly fade as they enter or leave the scene. Among those are some additional little touches of animation that really help convey the emotion and dialogue of the character.

parttimestorier wrote:
This looks very cute, and I'm definitely interested in seeing how the poem-writing mini-game works! You don't seem to have given any information about the protagonist - are they a self-insert type character?

The protagonist is in fact a self-insert type character (and thus, the player also gives him a name, which is why he is named Dan in the above gif). While I'm often a fan of protagonists with a complete personality, DDLC goes for some things that are more or less only possible with self-insertion.
As for the poem mini-games, the way it works is admittedly pretty simple. You're given lists of randomized words, as you can see in one of the screenshots, and you click on a total of 20 words to use for your "poem". Each club member has her own preferences on writing style and topics, which sometimes clashes with other members, so choose your words wisely. Each member can respond negatively, neutrally, or positively to your poem. Whoever likes your poem the most will spend some extra time with you in the club, and you unlock a CG of them!

BunnyAdvocate wrote:
Congrats on coming so close to finishing your VN! The artwork looks gorgeous, I wasn't expecting it to be so pretty~

Thank you, and I'm glad the art is leaving good first impressions! I'm very proud of the club's talented artists. :)

Last edited by TS_Dan on Fri May 19, 2017 4:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2017 4:19 pm 

I'm back! Today I'd like to show you something special about the in-game CGs.

Gameplay GIF

There are a few CGs in the game that are gently animated to make them even more pleasing to the eye. These are usually reserved for scenes with a high character bond, so work hard to impress your favorite club member if you want to see her sparkle!

Finally, to help set the mood just a little bit more, I'll share this little music sample for our timid and mature Yuri.

Audio Sample

Thanks and see you next club meeting!