Here I come with what I've been working on for the past (almost) 3 years! Didn't want to post anything before it was close to being released.
It's my second game, my first one was started in early 2015 and is entitled "FLY : Forever Loving You". I didn't have any scenario or precise idea back then, I just wanted to try making an Otome game by myself. It has been downloaded 130k times on the Google Play store so far, but is not finished (I update it with new chapters every 3 months or so) and it's only in French. But my art style evolved, and so did my programming skills (I hope so), so I became soon very bored with the project (late 2015) and started drawing stuff for a reboot. But as FLY 1 is finally coming to an end, I'm spending more and more time on FLY 2 and the first 3 chapters will soon be available in both French and English (British spelling because that's what I'm used to). It will have its own standalone story and is also a sort of reboot, you will be reintroduced to all the characters even though it also serves as a sequel to the first one (key elements of the story will be summed up at the beginning of the game, tl;dr you don't need to play the French game)
I'm not localising names except for titles and things such as mum, etc
(don't mind the black borders on the pics it's because they're screencaps I took on my phone)
Many people who played/are playing the prequel in French have compared it with Amour Sucré/My Candy Love/Amor Doce/Corazon de Melon/Sweet Crush or whatever you wanna call it, not in its story and characters but by its format if that makes any sense.
- Clément, he's a flirt and a friendly guy, but when he doesn't like someone, there's often no going back. Into comics and video games. His best friend is Evan.
- Evan, an introverted guy, your (the main character's) best friend since she arrived in town. Likes to read books and cook. Not the type to make the first move.
- Josh, guitarist in a band, writes his own songs, and a romantic. The sweetest guy you'll ever meet, don't let his bad grades fool you. Protecive and socially aware.
- Juliette, an introverted extrovert, a sweet artistic girl, plays the piano and paints, she's forgiving and easy to talk to. People think she's fake but she's only socially awkward.
- Mélanie, the queen bee, the popular girl, the headmaster's daughter. She's not the most easy-going person in the world, but rumour has it that she's got a heart hiding somewhere. And she's a skater girl so do I need to make it anymore obvious?
- Tomas, a university student who's a part-time IT manager at Hummingbird High. He's a loner and hates intrusive people, thank you very much. You saw him smile one (1) time because of his cat named Licorice. A tragic and troubled past that still doesn't justify him being a gigantic d*ck.
You can customize her appearance by clicking on the button in the upper left corner, but the one on the screencap is the one "by default".
First published with 3 chapters, more chapters will come with future updates (12 planned)
Here are some pics to see the game design and how it works:
1. "classmates" screen to see affection points // 2. "love interests" screen // 3. "other characters" screen // 4. mini game button (explained later) // 5. text history screen // 6. Rollback button // 7. dress-up button
"love interests" screen
choice at game start to either play in English or in French
main menu in French, this one will be edited it's kinda messy since I changed the bg pic so I have a few things to move
you can switch languages in-game from the setting menu
text history screen
There's something I struggle with and that I consider important, it has to do with mini games. So my idea was to add a mini game button (done) clickable whenever you want that would let you choose between different mini games inside the game that wouldn't add anything storywise, except unlocking special illustrations/CGs and character profiles after a certain given number of mini games played, maybe even raise the affection point level of a character of your choice, or unlock side stories. I would for example make a memory game with the dateable characters as chibis, puzzles with illustrations/CGs that eventually get unlocked, one other idea I had in mind was to make a mini game designed after a fake comics I invented for the game, and maybe unlock small episodes or dialogues to know a bit about this story, I don't know if you understand, but yeah just to know more about the game lore.
I've looked into the renpy cookbook and I came across Andredron's topic, and it's the type of mini games I wanted to add but they're also a little too easy and simple for people to actually enjoy playing them if they don't have to. Increasing the difficulty after a certain number of games played would be a start, but it doesn't change the fact that I'd like other types of games, I'm also not sure if my idea is doable.
TL;DR: I can art but I can't code adhbhgj : I'm working on a mini game function but I'm not even sure I have the knowledge to do it so it might postpone the release of the game, so if anybody has any idea if it's doable or can offer any help (free or paid but since it's a free project and I'm far from rich I can't invest anything other than a symbolic ammount that wouldn't reflect the work done, so don't understand this as a real fairly paid recruitment post, even if credit would of course be given if it's more than guiding me) I'd be forever grateful!!
What do you think about the dateable characters? About the main character? What would make you want to play it and not play it?
What do you think could make this game better? What do you wish you could see in otome/dating games both storywise and gameplay-wise that you never see?
Criticism is always welcome, it doesn't even have to be constructive, I wanna hear the harsh, raw truth. Most people tend to shy away from criticising it because it's free but imagine I'm asking you a third of your salary, I take criticism veryyyy well! I know it's not easy because you haven't played it but anything helps!