Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Nerdy Valentine 2/14/14]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
DaR
Regular

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [DEMO UP 10/8/11]

#46 Post by DaR »

I literally fangirl-squealed when I saw that the demo was up.

Favorite guy would have to be Jeff. He has so many awesome references, I kept giggling. But Douglas is a close second, because
Hitchhiker's and Monty Python is a winning combination.
xD
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

NatsukiDeath
Veteran
Completed: Life's....Complex
Projects: "Another Way VN" , "Phantom of the Opera VN" , "LoveChub?!"

#47 Post by NatsukiDeath »

OH Goodness! Demo!

I'm am enjoying how the sprites move!

Mike -haha she is such a Character , so entertaining and full of references

Kyminara
Regular

#48 Post by Kyminara »

It was a nice surprise to see a demo for this game out already.

I replayed several times to try to identify my favorite character, and I just can't decide. They all have a different charm, and every one of them got me laughing at least once. I'd probably end up with Matthew as my favorite in the full game because the best friend lost and regained seems like such a sweet story.

A couple of things annoyed me in the demo.
1) Why does Mike say "Bee Eff Effs" in one line (instead of BFFs), and then "tl;dr" a couple lines later? How the heck does someone say "tl;dr" anyway?
2) The heads look to too small, espeically on the taller guys. I know they're not really, but they look too small, and it bugs me. I'm not an art expert, so I don't know why it seems this way. Maybe some of the characters' lack of muscles and/or body fat is throwing off the proportions.

Stripe
Regular
Projects: secret!

#49 Post by Stripe »

Kyminara wrote:1) Why does Mike say "Bee Eff Effs" in one line (instead of BFFs), and then "tl;dr" a couple lines later? How the heck does someone say "tl;dr" anyway?
tee-ell dee-arr? that's how I say it, at least |D

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#50 Post by ririruetoo »

I just played the demo! It brings up such sweet memories of my high school anime buddies...I miss them...Anywho! I totally love the demo! I think all of your characters are really well done and fleshed out! *I've personally known almost all the sort of characters you describe...* I really REALLY CAN'T WAIT TO PLAY THE FULL GAME! I MAY EVEN PLAY IT OVER 9000 TIMES!! LOL
ImageImageImage

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#51 Post by Snow Blossom »

Looks like this will be filled to the brim with awesome!! XD Downloading now, but I think the linux and mac download links are mixed up... :-\

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#52 Post by Dollywitch »

What, a demo? Good work. Will download as soon as I come back from the toilet.

Dollywitch
Veteran

#53 Post by Dollywitch »

Okay I'm back. Downloading.

Dollywitch
Veteran

#54 Post by Dollywitch »

Mike's chest area just looks kinda... wrong.... like her breasts are really high up. Given the attention grabbing shirt I am finding it a little distracting >.<

EDIT: Well, it was kind of sweet. Can't help but think there will be too many choices though. You'll end up burying yourself in flowcharts, and it can also be disorientating for us, I think. Like when I was first presented with the choice of where to go, I had no frame of reference to pick one. A softer intro might have been better.

I think the Internets speak might have been a bit overdone. It was amusing in places, and they are geeks, so I think that was captured well, but it's really hard to keep that up constantly without being obnoxious. I liked the Dynamic between JEFF and Mike. I'll go back and try the other "Routes".

I am very interested to see how this goes.

If you need a composer, btw, given most of my stuff is influenced by anime & games, I could certainly contribute a few tracks. Check out my thread here -

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewforum.php?f=38

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#55 Post by Applegate »

If by 'alpha test' you mean 'continuously badger to give a sneakpeak'... :P

Other than the weirdness of Jeff's sprite, and the terror-inducing lack of punctuation in some spots, I liked it still.

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#56 Post by Omnificent »

Thanks for the feedback guys!

Lumen_Astrum:
Glad you liked it, that was one of my favorite scenes to write for the demo. I'm sure anyone looking at all the photos I took for it would think I was crazy though. :P
DaR: Jeff is probably the most referencetastic character next to Mike herself, so it's good that you found it entertaining. :D Another Douglas fan, huh? So far I've seen something of a gender split on Douglas, girls like him and guys think he's a jerk. XD

NatsukiDeath: I'm happy somebody likes Mike, she's as much of a character as anyone else! I definitely tried to convey movement as much as I could with having ~3 static poses per character.

Kyminara and Ris: Thanks! It's a good sign when there are people who can't decide on a favorite. :) As for the Bee Eff Effs thing, that was my lame attempt at transmitting sarcasm over a text medium, as BFFs is the kind of term that Mike would never use in all seriousness. Ris has the pronunciation of tl;dr down-pat.

The funny thing about the art is that when my housemate was looking over my shoulder as I was drawing sprites they told me their heads were too big. I can't win!

Ririruetoo: You might well have to play it over 9000 times to get all the paths and endings! :P I already have a 100% completion bonus in mind.

Snow Blossom: Duly fixed! Hope you enjoyed the demo.

Dollywitch: Mike's not the most incredibly-endowed girl in the world, so her... chest placement reflects this. There are indeed going to be a fair number of choices, but they mainly concern who to sit with at lunch/where to go after school, which once you know who's where is pretty straightforward. There was something of a hint as to where Kurt would be (he mentioned track in his text message), but for the most part yeah, you pretty much know what Mike knows in regards to where people might be. I might fix it so that going to the classroom doesn't send you straight home afterwards, though.

The amount of net-speak you'll end up seeing depends somewhat on whose route you end up going down, but it probably won't be a constant stream. As in life, some geeks are referential to the point that they could be seen as obnoxious, and whether or not that's the case is up to personal preference. If someone does find it completely grating then this is probably not the game for them. :P

PMed you in response to the composer thing.

Applegate: The lack of punctuation is a stylistic choice, I swear. I always read dialogue in my head, so a few missing commas here and there reflect the pace of the speech.

According to my poll of both this and random people I ambushed to play this game, this is how the character rankings currently stand:

1. Jeff (12 votes)
2. Greg (11 votes)
3. Matthew and Mike (tied at 5 votes each)
4. Douglas (4 votes)
5. Kurt (2 votes)
6. Ray (1 vote)

Goddamn Jeff why are you so lovable
Last edited by Omnificent on Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:46 am, edited 23 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

#57 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

*blinks* You took pictures for your vn too? (*doing that right now of my own college and other places* XD) Don't worry! I'm sure people will just think you're taking pictures of scenery because you think it's pretty, interesting, or it's for some project. << >> Only put this in spoiler since you commenting about said pics was in spoiler.
But yeah. I'm just going to be quietly stalking you until your vn is fully completed instead of playing the demo. It makes me feel like I'm cheating if I play a demo before I play the full thing. <<

NORMAL/AVERAGE GUYS FOR THE WIN! XD

*stalks from somewhere*
ImageImageImageImage

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#58 Post by Snow Blossom »

... Can I vote for three favorite characters? :mrgreen:
No? Fffffffffidlesticks. XDDD
I also like Matthew, unexpectedly.
It's so funny when he's terrified. XD
Mike is a very funny character too - I love her spunk and laid-back attitude. X3

Overall response: A very, very funny game. Although it was a bit vague, I kind of had an idea of where to go to meet the guys -
Greg's in the room, Jeff seems like the type to just be "out there somewhere", I knew Kurt was on the track team, and Doug just seems like the type to lounge in a computer lab all the time.
My main quibble about the game would be the transitions between the characters' positions - they were a bit sudden.

I think Douglas is a jerk by the way. But a funny one.
Last edited by Snow Blossom on Fri Oct 14, 2011 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Elster

#59 Post by Elster »

Lovin' the art style and concept. I'd love to play this!

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#60 Post by Omnificent »

Sunlit-Dreamer: Fair enough! I'm not sure if I'd call these guys 'normal' (aside from maybe Kurt), but they likely lack in the manpretty department. :P

Snow Blossom: Haha, it seems like a lot of the reason why people like Matthew is because of that expression. It makes me glad I made slightly different pose sets for everyone (Douglas is almost all closed-body-language, Jeff and Mike are almost all DYNAMICPOSE, everyone else falls somewhere in-between). I'll see about making some of those transitions smoother.

Elster: Thanks! I'm wary of giving out any estimates of when this here game will be done, but I work on it a little each day.

Not exactly an update, but in case you were curious, a little more info that I couldn't comfortably fit into the OP:

Mike

Full name: Michelle Andrea Cavanaugh
Stats:
STR **
DEX ***
CON **
INT ***
WIS *
CHA ****

Birthday: August 12
Zodiac: Leo
Blood type: A+++, would buy again
Handedness: Left-handed

GPA: 3.0

Favorite snack: Sour Patch Kids
Favorite drink: Root beer

Kurt

Full name: Kurt William Davis
Birthday: May 5
Zodiac: Gemini
Blood type: O+
Handedness: Right-handed

GPA: 3.83

Favorite snack: Mozzarella sticks
Favorite drink: Pepsi

Douglas

Full name: Douglas Aristotle Weston
Birthday: December 23
Zodiac: Capricorn
Blood type: O-
Handedness: Ambidextrous

GPA: 2.5

Favorite snack: Combos
Favorite drink: Coffee, black

Jeff

Full name: Jeffrey Hyun-Shik Cho
Birthday: November 30
Zodiac: Sagittarius
Blood type: B+

GPA: 1.83

Favorite snack: Hostess fruit pies
Favorite drink: Mountain Dew

Greg

Full name: Gregor James Donovan
Birthday: October 31
Zodiac: Scorpio
Blood type: Demonic (hypothesis)

GPA: 3.5

Favorite snack: Nachos
Favorite drink: Red Bull

Matthew

Full name: Matthew Ellis Welch
Birthday: July 14
Zodiac: Cancer
Blood type: AB+
Handedness: Left-handed

GPA: 3.0

Favorite snack: Sour Patch Kids
Favorite drink: Root beer

Youngest club member: Matthew (15)
Oldest club member: Greg (18)
Last edited by Omnificent on Fri Feb 17, 2012 1:30 am, edited 3 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!