Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Nerdy Valentine 2/14/14]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Writing ~%90? 8/22]

#106 Post by AshenhartKrie »

I love you. I want this.

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Writing ~90%? 8/22]

#107 Post by Omnificent »

Aedin: I have silent fans too? Awesome!

If you think Mike is a badass now, just wait until you get to the full game. Whatever her faults may be, indecisive/ineffectually flailing otome heroine she is not. And, I may indeed end up making some shirts.

Applegate: I only just posted like yesterday you silly man. And yeah, it's a little over 100k and continues to barrel steadily on towards the finish line.

Cheer: As half of my teenage test audience squad, your input continues to be valuable. Especially because I know that if scenes wrench your heart, they'll almost certainly wrench most everyone else's!

AshenhartKrie: Thank you! Luckily, at the pace I'm going it'll probably be out sometime next year. Late next year, at latest, barring any terrible unforeseen circumstances.
jeffdapperish.jpg
The saddest thing about writing a realistic slice-of-life game about nerds in high school from an art perspective is that realistically, nerds in high school wear a strict uniform of cargo pants/jeans and graphic tees/button-downs/polo shirts with nothing in the way of bells and whistles and rarely do anything interesting with their hair. Jeff will never wear this in-game but it's what I'd have him wear on a date if he wasn't more likely to show up in Ren Faire armor, steampunkwear, a papercraft Gundam outfit or some other cosplay.

Also that's how you write his Korean name in Hangul in case you need that knowledge for some reason. Fun fact, Jeff's last name comes from Frank Cho, the author of one of my favorite newspaper comics when I was growing up.
skinnyjefflazycolor.png
Oh yeah, another thing Jeff won't do in FA:NG is crash-diet. This is for the best because he'd look like a human lollipop if he lost too much weight. Jeff will eat as many Doritos and swig as much Fanta as he damn well pleases.

EDIT:

I'll just keep editing my post with more concept art. Here are some NPCs that are more attractive and interesting-looking than our heroes.
fuckinjocks.jpg
randomFANGnpcs.jpg
Yeah, you'd like them to be obtainable, wouldn't you?!
randomFANGnpcs2.jpg
One-Scene Wonders? One-Scene Wonders.
whoisthis.jpg
whoisthis.jpg (187.47 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
whoisthiscolor.png
whoisthiscolor.png (257.35 KiB) Viewed 2144 times
Ray was the closest thing the main cast had to a bishonen that isn't Matt before he cut his hair.
Last edited by Omnificent on Sun Nov 18, 2012 10:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Veniae
Veteran

#108 Post by Veniae »

Hi. You're awesome.

Keep up the great work!

polkapink

#109 Post by polkapink »

I am so excited for this project! <3 Keep up the good work! I really like Mike. I find it very rare where I actually enjoy the female protagonist!
I tried to doodle Mike but it does not really look like her. :(

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#110 Post by WickedRaccoon »

you sir,are just awesome!i'm stalking this^^

HealyHQ
Organization: HealyHQ™
Tumblr: HealyHQ
Deviantart: HealyHQ
Soundcloud: HealyHQ

#111 Post by HealyHQ »

Hey, Omnificent! Just wanted to drop by and say I'm still looking forward to this VN. Been watching from the shadows ever since your thread on the VAA. :)

Anyway...keep up the good work! :D

*goes back to lurking in the shadows*

-- Robert 8)
Last edited by HealyHQ on Fri Jan 04, 2013 9:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
"It's not just a daydream if you decide to make it your life." -- Train

DreamDragonHatchling
Regular

#112 Post by DreamDragonHatchling »

Antisocial and nerds- sounds like VN about me :)
*downloading demo*
Good luck! You will need it since so many ARE LOOKING FORWARD FOR THIS!!!

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#113 Post by Itwasneveradream »

When will this be released o.o Oohh, I'm excited~

Skyefrost
Regular

#114 Post by Skyefrost »

Hey, wanted to say that I love this VN. Mike is my favorite character due to her personality. Hilarious dialogue, her interaction with the other character so so funny and awesome! ANnnnD her shirt...OMG starcraft! and how she reference so many stuff that I actually get <3. As for the guys, I liked how all of them are very different from each other, personality wise. I'm probably going to stalk this thread~!

*join the band wagon*

Omnificent
Veteran

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Refining Script 3/22

#115 Post by Omnificent »

Whew, lots of comments! Guess it's time to respond to them all.

polkapink: Already sent you a PM on the subject, but thanks again for the art! I'm glad you find Mike refreshing.

WickedRaccoon: Awesome! I'll probably be updating the demo with better sprites and shiznit soon, so stay tuned.

HealyHQ: Hey there! Thanks for continuing to follow this. I realized that I was kind of jumping the gun with making a voice acting thread, considering how incomplete the script was at the time, but maybe I'll try and get a more organized voice-acting audition thing going once I'm farther along.

DreamDragonHatchling: Indeed, the pressure is on! Which is why I've been gnashing my teeth a fair bit over the script recently. I want to make sure the full product's as entertaining as the demo.

Itwasneveradream: Tentative release date is in the general ballpark of "later this year", but it really depends on how fast steps 2 through 5 go. I will say that at least I don't have very many other obligations that aren't this game at the moment, so that should help.

Skyefrost: At last, Mike slides into second-to-last place on the character popularity poll! About time. Yeah, one of the big things I was concerned about was making sure the guys sounded distinct from each other, and making sure Mike's narration stayed snappy. Still struggling a bit sometimes damn Kurt and his little route too, but I'm getting there.

At any rate... HEY GUYS I'M STILL WORKING ON THIS

Don't believe me? Well fine, have a rare look at various bits of in-progress FA:NG work. See if I care!

Actual notes from the actual script (which is entitled "brosim" in Word):
Mike's shirt changes with the route (!!!):
-Pylons Don't Know 'Bout My Additional Pylons = Kurt route
-Dungeons Don't Know 'Bout My Additional Dragons = Doug route
-Kamina Squirtle = Jeff route
-Bitches Don't Know 'Bout My Additional Bitches = Doug/Matt club route
-Bros Before Ros shirt (stick figure walking away with friends, heartbroken other stick figure)= Jeff/Greg club route
-Trollface/u mad = Matt route
-Forever alone guy shirt = Mike route
-Power Rangers masks shirt = True route
Actual excerpts from the actual script:
Cindy “Oh! I love history.”
Cindy “Abigail Adams x John Adams x Thomas Jefferson, OT3.”
"…what?"
Mike "So you're a big Superman fan? And Captain America?"
Ray "Uh... yeah!"
Ray "Never really got into Batman. I’ve always been more for the Good Ol' Boy heroes. "
Mike "Definitely not as many Supes fans."
Ray "I know, right? Real shame."
Mike "Your glass sure is half-full, huh?"
Jeff "My glass is half-polar bear."
Mike "Like a polar bear dog?"
Jeff "Yeah! But with bees instead of dog."
Mike "Then which half's the glass?"
Jeff "THERE IS NO GLASS"
Mike "AW SNAP"
Douglas "Klaatu barada nikto!"
Douglas "I just used my arcane powers to turn all the food into doof, Terri."
Douglas "If you eat it you will explode."
Mike “Face it, Matt. You are the biggest nerd in the club.”
Matthew “Never.”
Mike “Denial’s not just a river in Egypt, you know.”
Matthew "Oh yeah? Well, Egypt's not just a river in- in-"
Matthew "I forget where I was going with that. Shut up."
Greg “‘When I was a child, I spoke like a child. Thought like a child, felt like a child. Now that I have become a man, I have put away childish things.’”
Greg “You know where that’s from?”
Mike “Sounds vaguely familiar, but no."
“Greg shrugs.”
Greg "Me either. Read it in a webcomic."
Kurt “I see, I see.”
Kurt “So, did you like me on first impression?”
Mike “In retrospect? Yeah."
Kurt “And do you like me now, after all this time?”
Mike “Wouldn't be here otherwise, now would I?"
Kurt “Then that’s enough for me.”
Mike “Pssh, what’s that supposed to mean?”
Mike “It’s almost like you’re-”
Kurt “Getting off at the next stop.”
Kurt “See you tomorrow, Mike!”
Mike “Hey, wait a sec!”
"Sonuva-"
Bad-quality photo of some character sketches because my scanner cord got misplaced during my move:

I hope you're happy! J-jerks.
Last edited by Omnificent on Sun Mar 24, 2013 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Itwasneveradream
Veteran
Projects: Color Me Cliche (semi-hiatus) | Rose Colored Days | College Jam | One secret Project

#116 Post by Itwasneveradream »

@Omni :3

I'm getting even more excited now :3

Anyway~ Here's some fanart~ I suck. And you might have seen it....

I dunno.

paronomasia

#117 Post by paronomasia »

This sounds amazing but the demo link for Mac is broken. Please fix this so I will not be forced to approach in a totally nonthreatening manner, demanding the script.

Omnificent
Veteran

#118 Post by Omnificent »

Hey guys, sorry to get your hopes up, but I've decided to take FA:NG in a new direction.
QXYIVNG.jpg
Here's the first rough concept sketch. I hope you can all agree that this is a great improvement, desu. Be sure to check out the blog for the new character profiles!

Veniae
Veteran

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Rewriting Entire Sto

#119 Post by Veniae »

Yeah, nice try, dude! :D

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Rewriting Entire Sto

#120 Post by CheeryMoya »

KYAA~~~~~~~!!!!!!! ^-^ XD XD XD XD XD XD XD

Desu for the best! teh game wasn't kawaii enough to be an otome before :x :x :x but now desu very uguu!!! ur bishies are sugoii and kakkoii ^o^ i want jeffar to be my hasubando >:333

cant wait for desu to come out!!!!!