Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [Nerdy Valentine 2/14/14]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Aiurax
Regular
Projects: Becoming Wishful

Re: Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering [DEMO UP 10/8/11]

#61 Post by Aiurax »

This game is right up my street. When I was in college I used to be in a group much like this. And I was the only girl, to boot. Except it's a bit backwards. I left the group first and fell off the face of the Earth. But then, a year later I met back up with a few of them; and now we're inseperable.

I liked Jeff the most, with Greg a close second (once he opened up.. Which was AWESOME by the way). I'm really looking forward to seeing this finished :)

Veniae
Veteran

#62 Post by Veniae »

I can't believe I haven't commented here yet.

The idea + the art = Image

I recently bought a sweatshirt which has 'i love nerds' written on it. This pretty much sums up my feelings about this project.

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#63 Post by Kura »

Oh god this game is just... I am in love. And it has basically the best title ever. And "brotome" is my new favorite word.

I love the tone of this game and all the delicious references and how generally enjoyable a narrator Mike is. And I empathize all too well with the plot. As for characters... I think I love them all, but here's a vote for the mopheaded awesome that is Greg. I had to go listen to Scandinavian metal immediately after playing his demo path.

One thing that looked odd, Mike's sprite is too small for the background in her home.

Also...
When asking to braid Douglas's hair, I feel like his primary objection should have been how freaking TALL he is.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Omnificent
Veteran
Projects: FA:NG, ???

#64 Post by Omnificent »

Aiurax, Veniae: Hurrah for more enthusiasm! I'm glad that the game concept speaks to the experience of a lot of people.

Kura: Yeah, it's hard to find an appropriate stock photo of a bedroom at night, but with the quality/proportions of the rest of the background photos I should probably look for a replacement.
Douglas is ridiculously tall (tallest in the game, as a matter of fact) and that'll be addressed at some point. :P Too bad he's weaker than a level 1 kitten!
To tide you guys over while waiting for release, I've come up with some handy flashback comics to tease at certain plot-relevant issues.

Dead? Zombies? Adventurer archaeologists? You'll have to wait until Kurt route to find out.

In his panic Jeff underestimated the logistics of getting to the nearby college town on foot. But he got there! Eventually.
Last edited by Omnificent on Wed Oct 26, 2011 4:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)
Night at the Hospital - Maiden voyage of Team Snugglebunny
Skylessia: Tale of the Boon - Epic fantasy whatsit, currently on hiatus.
Viking Pipsqueak Productions Blog (under construction)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Kura
Regular
Completed: Chasing the Sun
Projects: RESET

#65 Post by Kura »

Omnificent wrote:Kura: Yeah, it's hard to find an appropriate stock photo of a bedroom at night, but with the quality/proportions of the rest of the background photos I should probably look for a replacement.
I doubt Mike's bedroom is as messy as mine, but if it helps, feel free to use one of these: desk, bed.

Kurt's parents are obviously conceptual modern artists who dress him in old clothing to make a statement about class struggle.
Devblog :: Kura's VN Projects and Resources
Complete Chasing the Sun [a meditation on light] :: In Progress RESET [guilt, love, existentialism, and video games]

Crusher
Regular

#66 Post by Crusher »

Just read the demo: Great idea (I was a little bit reminded of Genshiken, but the nerd-level is significantly higher in this novel :D), funny writing and the possibility of a very interesting character-based plot. I especially like the "helping an old friend to get a hot girl" part, much potential there.
If there's a little bit of drama and sad scenes in it in later parts I'll totally fall in love with this.

therealrose
Regular

#67 Post by therealrose »

I love the art! I also love Michelle, she reminds me so much of myself and I just squeal in joy every time I read the story. Hope you finsh the full version soon.

Omnificent
Veteran

#68 Post by Omnificent »

Kura: Mike's bedroom is pretty messy, but alas, most of the difficulty comes from trying to find a good-quality well-sized picture of a bedroom at night. And that's not a bad guess. :P

Crusher: Thanks! As for drama/sad scenes, this story will end up having a bit of it. Teenage insecurities, priorities, and differences in viewing relationships are a major theme in this, beyond the lighthearted nerdiness and banter.

therealrose: Glad you enjoyed it! I don't have a full estimate for when this project will be complete, but I have definitely been working on it and I hope the complete version will be worth the wait.

A few points of interest:

Tentative Endings List (don't read if you want to stay entirely spoiler-free):
Bro Ends:
-Like Ezio and Leonardo
-Co-Op Mode
-Master of Puppets, Padawan of Rock
-Double Mode, Heavy Difficulty
-Dynamic is Evolving!
-Two Girls, A Guy, and An Anime Club

Love Ends:
-Why Did The Pawn Cross The Board?
-May-June Romance
-A Song of Fire and Flames
-QTEs, Blink And You Miss Them
-Continue?
-Bonus Stage

Club Ends:
-Drill That Will Pierce The Heavens
-All According To Keikaku
-Load From Save State

Bad Ends:
-Forever Alone
-Pressed Too Late
-Clash of Ideals

A CG preview (?!?!?!)

And just in time for Halloween, I did some delinquent versions of our main characters.
Forever Alone: Nerds the Gathering - A brotome game. (Nerdy Valentine's Day Card and small status update 2/14/14)

I occasionally frequently draw other people's characters. Now offering delinquentization, medievalization, and cyborgification. Hit me up in PM if you want sprites for your KN or non-ren'ai VN.

EVEN IF THE TENDONS OF MY THUMBS TEAR INTO NOTHINGNESS, EVEN IF I GO NEARSIGHTED FROM STARING TOO HARD AT THE SCREEN, EVEN IF MY BODY IS CLOSE TO COLLAPSE FROM THE 72 HOURS I HAVE GONE WITHOUT FOOD! I WILL DEFEAT YOU!

Omnificent
Veteran

#69 Post by Omnificent »

I've been making some epic progress on Greg and Kurt routes this week. Mature manly duo ahoy!

You can imagine the uproar at the Donovan household once Greg grew old enough to choose his own clothing/haircut frequency.

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#70 Post by azureXtwilight »

Aww, gotta see Greg's face D:

lepapillonrouge
Miko-Class Veteran

#71 Post by lepapillonrouge »

Oh my gosh I knew this game was going to be amazing

The weird thing is is that he has the same name as my boyfriend and they like to talk alot, and they're both Asian. But he's definitely not a weaboo.
More like a MMO guy.

Either way this guy's mine first.
deviantART
---------------------

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#72 Post by tuna_sushi »

about nerds??Image I'm looking forward to this VN!!!!!

Jeff's shirt, lol!

Omnificent
Veteran

#73 Post by Omnificent »

azurextwilight: Greg's face will appear in the game, though it may be a long and arduous journey to see it. :P

lepapillonrouge: Clearly this is a sign that your boyfriend should play this game! And your vote ensures that Jeff still has a strong lead in the popularity poll.

tuna_sushi: Nerds deserve to be loved/have friends too! The :awesomefaec: is the theoretical manifestation of Jeff's soul.

I've been trying to think about the best way to do CGs. Should they be the same cel-shaded style as the regular sprites? Should I give them softer coloring? Should I go lazy avant-garde and do them entirely in pen and colored pencil? For flashbacks, would it be cool to have mostly grayscale with some spot-color? I have many questions.

Rewritten Ennui
Veteran
Organization: TwinTurtle Games

#74 Post by Rewritten Ennui »

Played through the demo and got pretty much every piece of dialogue I could get. Very hilarious writing, but you'll need a few proofreaders to clean it up. Other than that, it was intense 8) Add another vote to Jeff please <3 I'm really looking forward to having a wonderful bromance with each guy though; they all have their personal quirks and charms.

For the CGs, the second style would look best and softer coloring is a definite yes from me. As for flashbacks, grayscale is an obvious must and some color for the blush or eyes would be fine. I suppose that you can always go with the hazy borders flashback approach, but I personally don't like that method :/
I've swapped accounts to CheeryMoya, so this account is no longer in use. Refer to the new account if you want to contact me.

Twinturtle Games Website

Nejisa
Regular
Projects: Third Eye

#75 Post by Nejisa »

Well, i played the demo some time ago, bu i haven´t had an opportunity to give you a reply. My english is not that good, so i can not tell you all i would like to, but i can tell you a thing: THE DEMO WAS SO DAMN GOOD THAT I CAN NOT THINK OF ANY OTHER THING SINCE I PLAYED IT. REALLY. :twisted:

My favorite part till now:
"Target identify confirmed.Initiating attack in 3...2..."

"Ffffffffffffffffff!!!!!!!!"
LOL. That part was so hilarius, i remember it every day and i still laugh at it.

I´m damn looking forward to this game, so good luck~~~

And i´m dying to know something:
are you a girl or a boy? :shock:
Bye~~~