Rising Angels [GxG](Now with 100% more demo)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Re: Rising Angels (A sci-fi Otome school RPG)

#61 Post by KomiTsuku »

DaFool wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote: So, the whole point of this post is to ask for any questions that anyone may have.
RPG system
This, please elaborate on the RPG system. Will it be RPG Maker style? Battle Engine? Or Custom?
*grabs the notes he spend his free time today writing*
It's a custom system that is incorporates several old and new school elements.

As previously mentioned, there won't be a level system where you grind monsters. No. While I may be the man who beat all the .hack games and owns every single Dynasty Warriors made in the last decade, I'm not going to do that to everyone else. Your stats will be raised by either classroom events (which occur every day), spending time with other characters (now you can grind both heart points and attack points at the same time!), and other events. This is also how you and your other teammates will gain new abilities to fight the rising darkness.

Every character has one weapon. That isn't one weapon type, but a single weapon. However, it will be upgradeable in two different ways. Every weapon has four different slots of attachments. These attachments will alter your various stats or give you shard slots. Shards are, for lack of a better explanation, just like the materia from FF7. Any character can equip them, so long as they have the shard slot to do so. I'm still toying with if there will be an SP system or not.

Three characters will consist of the party.

Movement will be based off of my old school heritage of text-based RPGs. While there will be a variety backgrounds per dungeon, your movement will be arrow based.

Right now I am the primary artist for the interface, but I am planning on contracting that out.

All cadets will be avalible as fighters, although they will naturally will be staggered. There will also be two secret unlock characters (1 hidden in-game event/1 code enter) and a couple unlock shards (2 loyalty[played previous games], 1 code, and 1 that I'm not even mentioning how.)

That's the rough version of what the system will be. If you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer them.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#62 Post by Mink »

KomiTsuku wrote:
DaFool wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote: So, the whole point of this post is to ask for any questions that anyone may have.
RPG system
This, please elaborate on the RPG system. Will it be RPG Maker style? Battle Engine? Or Custom?

As previously mentioned, there won't be a level system where you grind monsters. No. While I may be the man who beat all the .hack games and owns every single Dynasty Warriors made in the last decade, I'm not going to do that to everyone else.
Good god, thank you for that. I myself enjoyed .Hack until the CONSTANT. LEVEL-GRINDING.

"You're level 20? Too bad, this monster you HAVE to defeat is 35. Come back in 15 levels. You're level 35? Nope, sorry, this monster is level 50. Come back later." FFFUUU-! Eventually, all I did was level up until I got to the highest possible level, and decimated everything. 8|

But, I digress.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#63 Post by KomiTsuku »

Mink wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote:
DaFool wrote: This, please elaborate on the RPG system. Will it be RPG Maker style? Battle Engine? Or Custom?

As previously mentioned, there won't be a level system where you grind monsters. No. While I may be the man who beat all the .hack games and owns every single Dynasty Warriors made in the last decade, I'm not going to do that to everyone else.
Good god, thank you for that. I myself enjoyed .Hack until the CONSTANT. LEVEL-GRINDING.

"You're level 20? Too bad, this monster you HAVE to defeat is 35. Come back in 15 levels. You're level 35? Nope, sorry, this monster is level 50. Come back later." FFFUUU-! Eventually, all I did was level up until I got to the highest possible level, and decimated everything. 8|

But, I digress.
Forcing the player through a grindfest is counterproductive when I'm still heavily focusing on the story-telling aspects. This is a visual novel first, RPG second. However, they need to be able to blend together, which requires a lot of tweaking on my part. Not having a grind fest, kinda like the new Sakura Wars game, is something I HAVE to do.

It really lived up to its "like a MMORPG" claim with all that grinding. >.<;

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#64 Post by KomiTsuku »

Okay, after a lot of... failed attempts, the RPG system is pretty much falling apart at the seams. It's worthless, ugly, and detracts heavily from the overall novel. v.v I hate to disappoint, but I am being forced to undergo some major changes to help save the game. Read more here... http://www.idhasstudios.com/?p=263

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#65 Post by Fawn »

Aw, don't worry about that... Just focus on making a good story, we don't need an RPG :D (It is a visual novel anyways, it's not expected)

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#66 Post by KomiTsuku »

Fawn wrote:Aw, don't worry about that... Just focus on making a good story, we don't need an RPG :D (It is a visual novel anyways, it's not expected)
I'm still disappointed. The system will continue to be developed in my free time, but it won't surface until a later game.

And we also have a logo now with the help of HannaPhilip!
RALogo.png

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Rising Angels (Gx... both?) [KN]

#67 Post by KomiTsuku »

Okay, I am intentionally double posting. This is important enough to me to take the slap on the wrist.

As of right now, RA is slatted to be a kinetic novel in the Katajion Kinetic Monthly. That means there will be no options and the character arcs will be set, like an anime. However, it will still have all the CGs and a massive story. If I do switch back to the VN style, all those character arcs, some of the minigames, and a helluva lot more text will be included. It means you won't be seeing it in January, but...

So what are your preferences? KN, and seeing everything monthly, or VN, and getting a lot more content and interactivity.

Abeiramar
Regular

#68 Post by Abeiramar »

KomiTsuku wrote:Okay, I am intentionally double posting. This is important enough to me to take the slap on the wrist.

As of right now, RA is slatted to be a kinetic novel in the Katajion Kinetic Monthly. That means there will be no options and the character arcs will be set, like an anime. However, it will still have all the CGs and a massive story. If I do switch back to the VN style, all those character arcs, some of the minigames, and a helluva lot more text will be included. It means you won't be seeing it in January, but...

So what are your preferences? KN, and seeing everything monthly, or VN, and getting a lot more content and interactivity.
Well, hun :o ...
How about releasing a short demo first to test the waters?

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#69 Post by KomiTsuku »

Abeiramar wrote:
KomiTsuku wrote:Okay, I am intentionally double posting. This is important enough to me to take the slap on the wrist.

Well, hun :o ...
How about releasing a short demo first to test the waters?
Errrrr... that leads us back to the same question. >.< If I go with a kinetic novel, there won't be any options in the demo and it will be part of the serial. If I go with VN, there will be options for alternative story routes and will encompass the first month. Which would you rather see?

Abeiramar
Regular

#70 Post by Abeiramar »

Go with the kinetic novel for the demo. When you release the whole thing make it Visual Novel style.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#71 Post by HikkiPanda »

I still prefer VN, but it's up to you ^^;

oh, and I can't access your site. It's not responding o.o;

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#72 Post by KomiTsuku »

Abeiramar wrote:Go with the kinetic novel for the demo. When you release the whole thing make it Visual Novel style.
That's... not a bad idea. I think we may take that route. It will at least give me a little longer to decide.
HikkiPanda wrote:I still prefer VN, but it's up to you ^^;

oh, and I can't access your site. It's not responding o.o;
Strange. I see your hits on the site. I've stepped up the spam filtering after a series of events, but your IP isn't in there. Can you get to the main site, Homepage ?

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#73 Post by HikkiPanda »

mmm .. this time it works fine, both the main site and the previous link ... maybe it's my internet >.<, sorry for the confusion ^^;

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#74 Post by KomiTsuku »

HikkiPanda wrote:mmm .. this time it works fine, both the main site and the previous link ... maybe it's my internet >.<, sorry for the confusion ^^;
That's okay. ^_^ Working on computers is part of my day job, so it really doesn't bug me fighting the bugs.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#75 Post by KomiTsuku »

Updates! The instructor cast has been completed and the quick bios are loaded to the front. Everyone's favorite, Agent Syl Logivechk, is making a return in Rising Angels. Don't say I do not listen. (Only Name isn't going to be in, since she doesn't attend the academy for another year.) There are still two more cadets who haven't made it up on the board, but that very cleanly rounds out the cast.

So, I bet you are all wondering what is going on. Well, I'll be perfectly blunt. I had a very good story that worked perfectly with the RPG elements. I devoted a lot of time and energy into designing everything. Then the attempts to make the RPG system failed. I dropped everything for a while and then thought to bring it into the KKM. Problem is that I really, really like this project and putting it in there is a bit like resigning it to a mundane death. So I tried the RPG again. And it failed. Again. There is simply too much coding, too many interface items, too many stat games to balance out. I don't have that sort of talent or time. So I recently put up a poll on my dA account. Did everyone want to see it as a KN, a VN, or a dating sim? The results were almost overwhelmingly towards dating sim. Okay, I said, I can do that. That doesn't require a lot of coding. This will be a super cool blend of Katawa Shoujo, RE:Alistair, and the KDF. The pretty hefty CG count paired with the beautiful backgrounds and character sprites will put Sake to shame! The only slight problem is that most of the outline is now utter garbage. By most, I mean all. So now my plot is back at square one and I'm painfully banging my head. There's quite a bit that I can salvage, but it still is going to be a bit of a painful process.

So... yeah. That's how things are right now. Do not lose hope, I am still working hard. There might be more updates and possibly that demo coming soon... that all depends on which project keeps favorite status. Rising Angels or Echo Disks...?