Rising Angels [GxG](Now with 100% more demo)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope
Projects: Rising Angels
Organization: IDHAS Studios
IRC Nick: Komi
itch: idhas

Rising Angels [GxG](Now with 100% more demo)

#1 Post by KomiTsuku »

EDIT: DEEEEEEEEEMOOOOOOO TIME! Demo

Rising Angels is the story of Faye Moonfallow, her squad of somewhat loveable misfits, and their dreams of becoming officers in the Katajion Defense Force. However, before they can get there, they have to first pass the rigorous Space Sector Academy. Life is rough, non-stop, and the danger of getting the boot is ever-present. Can Faye and her squad overcome the challenges posed to them? Will the group destroy itself in chaos? That is up to you...

While a kinetic novel in the sense that once you start on a single path, there aren't any choices, there are ten separate routes for all of the cadets except for Menali. Every route will have a different theme/genre to it. Some routes, such as Lenna and Iotor will be closer to your traditional otome, while others will be mysteries, such as Jade and Kika. Then there are the oddballs with our resident yandere Mana and the slightly crazy Termin. Don't expect a "choose-your-own-little girl adventure", but plots that will lead you through unique, intriguing adventures.

Script: Forward unto dawn!

Sprites: 16 of our 16 character cast have been completed. Mission accomplished!

Backgrounds: 30/30 backgrounds are finished.

Music:
30/34 songs are finished.

Interface: Just needs to be coded.

CGs: 21 out of an unknown amount are finished.

And now the cast!

Screenshots:

Cadets:

Name: Faye Moonfallow
Species: Lupide
Homeworld: Raputin 33D
Bio: The only daughter of a xenobotanist, Faye spent most of her life on the move with her father during his studies. Faye had few friends her age, spending her time with her father's colleagues and going to school over the KataNet. This made the intelligent, analytical girl even more quiet and reserved, but unafraid to say her mind when the situation calls for it. While she wanted to continue traversing the universe with her beloved father, a military recruiter convinced her that joining the Space Sector as a xenobotanist with the fleet was a great way she could both earn a living and make a name for herself.

Name: Lenna Edeck
Species: Human
Homeworld: Earth
Bio: A young woman from Chicago, Lenna lost her family early in her life to the war between the Raltin Empire and the Katajion Directorship. With no other family other than her close friends, Lenna was forced to scrape up a living on the streets. While something of a ditz, her determination and desire to survive drove her on, keeping her alive throughout the occupation of Earth and resulting destruction of Chicago. After coming of age and cramming knowledge for the academy entrance exam every free moment she could, Lenna was finally accepted to the Space Academy as a pilot. While fearful that she will fail with her low grades and a tad paranoid of her comrades, she refuses to accept failure and keeps pressing herself to become the best and pass. She prides herself on being up-to-date on the current fashions.

Name: Yoi Mono
Species: Half-elf
Homeworld: Troplain
Bio: The daughter of a Katajion Director and granddaughter of the Trilani Rangers' patriarch, many thought that she would have a life of ease. However, her father was assassinated in office while she was only three. She was then sent to live with her mother as an elven ranger trainee. Many in the community resented Minako Mono's husband, leading to her exile from the world of Troplain. The council also wished to banish the young Yoi, but the Patriarch refused, saying she had commit no offense and would permit the girl to continue training as a ranger and the eventual heiress of the Trilani Rangers.

Yoi grew up with very few friends, suffering the scorn of being a half-elf in a pure blood society. Nonetheless, she tried her best to make friends, often coming off as hyperactive and talkative to conceal her loneliness. In an effort to help his granddaughter out and get her away from the racism, a deal was brokered between the Katajion Directorship to permit Yoi to attend the Space Academy, making her the first Trilani ranger to also attempt to be a combat pilot. Much to her dismay, there's nothing the poor elf hates more than space travel.

Name: Sol Hackett
Homeworld: Ergo
Bio: Unlike most of his colleagues, Sol had never lost a family member to the war. In fact, his life was unaffected on the whole by the entire galactic conflict. His father was a transport pilot and his mother was a stayhome mom. The young man grew up with a strong belief in obeying the rules and leading a calm, orderly life.

Name: Jade Lauper
Species: Frikon
Bio: A rebel without a cause and a police record to follow. After a series of crimes that ended with a hijacking of a fighter and leading authorities on a two hour chase, Jade was sent to prison for forty years. However, a deal was brokered between the Space Sector and Judicial Sector to pardon the crime should he serve twenty years as a fighter pilot under their watch. Jade agreed. The young frikon was willing to serve with the force, but always was trying to toe the line to see just how much he could get away with in his pursuit of fast rides and easy lives.

Name: Mana Lauper
Species: Frikon
Bio: Unlike the older brother who she adores, Mana isn't a felon, simply a frequent delinquent. Mana is mischievous and loves playing pranks on everyone, so long as nobody gets hurt. She often joined up with her brother on some of his high speed hijinks, frequently putting him to shame with her superior flying skills. While she'd never admit it, she is the better pilot and mechanic of the pair, while he is the brains behind the operations. When he was offered the deal with the Space Sector, he demanded that one of the stipulations be that Mana got to come with, knowing full well that she'd follow him anyway. Something of a yandere when it comes to her older brother.

Name: Iotor Quin
Homeworld: Qrin
Bio:Self-confident, cocky, and the only prior Katajion Defense Force member, Iotor was selected to become a pilot after he transferred over from his previous job as a Space Assault Controller, the Space Sector special forces. While somewhat rowdy and unorthodox, when it comes to his job Iotor is nothing but dedicated and disciplined. Unlike his younger fellows, Iotor was married, now divorced, and has a two year old young son, Lio, who he almost never sees due to the constant danger and deploying. This is the only chance he saw of being able to both provide a good life for his son, serve his nation, and still be alive to see Lio's third birthday.

#image being updated

Name: Alana Faul
Species: Afrik
Bio: Nicknamed the world's biggest bookworm, Alana spend almost her entire life between the pages of whatever reading material she could get her hands on. Shy and timid, Alana made few friends growing up, preferring to stick with books that couldn't judge her. During her final years in school, a military recruiter noticed her during a science fair where she had entered a miniaturized signal amplifier drone. After several tense sessions, Alana decided that she wanted to try and change her shy habits by forcing herself into an environment where she can't shirk away. Nevertheless, her confidence that such a change is possible is non-existent.

#image being updated

Name: Kika Starr
Species: Kitsune
Homeworld: Duster Station
Bio: The daughter of the leader of Duster Station, an independent trade station. Used to having the best that money can provide and the success that tends to accompany it, Kika grew up incredibly spoiled. Loud, brash, and determined, Kika's princess mentality tends to rub everyone around her the wrong way. Most people tend to bear with it, as her father's money overrides their dislike, leading her to further believe that not only is she the best at anything she does, but that she is also the most loved girl in the universe. When she finds out that her father cannot buy her a fleet of her own, she decides to join the Katajion Space forces to become the greatest admiral of all time.

#image being updated

Name: Termin Kaolin
Species: Minotaur
Homeworld: Celestia
Bio: Termin grew up in a human-dominated community, often facing ridicule and hatred from the insular community. While she tried to make friends with the few humans who didn't seem to mind her, the others would often drive a rift between them. At home, she lived with a family whom she rarely saw due to her parents always traveling and leaving her behind. With no companionship, she withdrew from society, deciding to be an observer of the events around her. Termin rarely will attempt to join in and help, preferring to further perfect her growing journal on the mentalities of various species. Deciding that she was never going to be a famous researcher without leaving her homeworld, Termin signed up to serve as a doctor, a position that would let her study many people from many planets.

Name: Blade Zenma
Species: Afrik
Homeworld: None
Bio: The son of a decorated admiral, Blade believed that it was his duty to follow in his mother's footsteps and pursued a commission as a pilot. In his mind, there is nothing more noble and honorable than being a hero pursing and destroying all of those who would threaten the peace and stability of the universe. Always reading and watching the latest heroic holovids and tales, Blade devotes himself to the “study” of the way of the warrior. However, his skills often do not live up to the fierce fire that lives in his heart.

Instructors:

Name: Nyana Tyclue
Homeworld: Megato
Bio: The current headmaster and lead instructor of the academy. While more than a little flighty and scatterbrained, Commander of the Wings Tyclue is respected fleet-wide for her battlefield tactics, gentle personality, and extraordinary perception. One of the many heroes of the defense of Earth, Nyana has quickly risen the ranks, only outshone by Commander Komi Y. Tsuku. Rumor has it that she cares heavily about getting her next promotion, which is why she has no problem drilling her troops from dusk til dawn to make them the best they can be.

Name: Jonathan Brumford
Species: Elf
Homeworld: Voltran
Bio: The cadets' instructor. Maj. Brumford was a former Raltin fighter pilot who defected to the Katajion Directorship after running afoul with senior Raltin leadership. Fearing for his life, he took his craft out on a patrol mission and never came back home. He quickly rose through the Katajion ranks thanks to his fearless piloting and cutthroat dedication. Teaching cadet classes is nothing more to him than the next step in his career, swapping between being a hardline instructor to a laidback, uncaring guy depending on who is watching.

Name: Syl Logivechk
Bio: A mysterious, quiet instructor who was brought in by the headmaster to help teach basic combative skills and military related studies. Little is known about her other than she is a current Aggressive Diplomatic Resolution Agency (ADRA) agent with a very distinguished, if murky, history of service.

Name: Gayl Busaier
Homeworld: Unknown
Bio: A young flight officer serving as one of the academy's quartermasters. Unfortunately, being a lowly flight officer, Gayl ends up with all of the poor assignments and duties from the instructors and almost no respect from the cadets. He goes out of his way to assert his domination and authority over the cadets, often to no avail.

Name: Lisa Beryal
Species: Elf
Homeworld: Tropolain
Bio: A Trilani mercenary on contract to the Special Forces Sector, who in turned lent her to the academy. Unlike her fellow instructor, Maj. Beryal believes that all cadets should be treated fairly and with respect at all times. Many of the other instructors call her soft, including her rival, Maj. Brumford, but she is unyielding in her views.

That's it for now. I'm still working out the rough details and the like. Expect to see fairly constant updates as I add features and gameplay, show more of the sprites, and errrr... develop the plot. I won't lie, right now I'm running solely off of the idea of a catgirl main character and a non-traditional school setting. I swear I'll actually have a plot to go along with it soon! I'm thinking four romancible characters, but that is still in the works as well. There is a high likelihood that things will change as I get input, so throw your ideas into the pile. We most definitely have plots in mind now and a lot more than four characters.

EDIT #1: so I won't forget to give proper credit where credit is due, the sprites are done by Arseniquez
Instructors are done by Yenohd
Last edited by KomiTsuku on Fri Mar 08, 2013 9:24 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly
Projects: NaNo2021 Cracked Moonstone
Deviantart: Sunlit-Dreamer
itch: Sunlit-Dreamer

Re: Rising Angels (A sci-fi Otome school sim)

#2 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

You. Must. MAKE THIS A REALITY. Well the vn anyway.

I'm quite curious as to which direction you'll go with this. Will there be combat sequences like some of the rpg vns have? And if yes, how would it work considering they're space rangers? Would it be a mix of physical combat and marksmanship both with hands on and what they would pilot? Would they go through simulation training? And in the story itself would there come a time they enter the war itself? Does the plot revolve their training days only or continue on to the battlefield? Would the vn end once they graduate or when the war is won/lost or some other alternative? So many questions running through my head. @@ But I'm too hungry and I'm sure others want a chance to state their own questions (and ideas as you stated at the end).

A kitty girl hmm? So does that mean you didn't know the mc yet? Since lupide makes me thing of wolves and foxes. (I know foxes start with v but I can't help but think of a silver fox when I look at Faye XD) Or are they bunnies instead? I don't know, I'll look it up later. *starts stalking*
ImageImageImageImage

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Dreams of the Skies, Anton's Vacation, Luka, The Halberd and The Tiger, Rising Angels, Pyrite Heart, Rising Angels: Reborn, The Halberd and The Fox, VN Tycoon, RA: Hope

#3 Post by KomiTsuku »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:You. Must. MAKE THIS A REALITY. Well the vn anyway.

I'm quite curious as to which direction you'll go with this. Will there be combat sequences like some of the rpg vns have? And if yes, how would it work considering they're space rangers? Would it be a mix of physical combat and marksmanship both with hands on and what they would pilot? Would they go through simulation training? And in the story itself would there come a time they enter the war itself? Does the plot revolve their training days only or continue on to the battlefield? Would the vn end once they graduate or when the war is won/lost or some other alternative? So many questions running through my head. @@ But I'm too hungry and I'm sure others want a chance to state their own questions (and ideas as you stated at the end).

A kitty girl hmm? So does that mean you didn't know the mc yet? Since lupide makes me thing of wolves and foxes. (I know foxes start with v but I can't help but think of a silver fox when I look at Faye XD) Or are they bunnies instead? I don't know, I'll look it up later. *starts stalking*
Actually, this is a prequel to several other pieces of mine. Lenna, Yoi, and Takato end up as the main characters to Katajion's Dream. Yoi sticks around for the other pieces and is one of the romancible characters in another visual novel I've made, Anton's Vacation.
Lenna is also going to make an appearance in the next episode of AV.
So the story will end with the graduation of the class, failing out, quitting, or... well, let's say that some of the lessons might get a little dangerous. The story was going to focus more on the education and physical training (stats game), but there are going to be some RPG elements that I'm absorbing from other projects... !!! Sorry, I just had a brilliant idea. Yes, there will be simulation training, but Faye won't be participating as a pilot. I'm tempted to make her the tactical controller and let the player simply give directives to the pilots to accomplish the objective, like a chess game. Higher stats in certain areas will give you different options and orders, while friendships/rivalries will also impact the game by the others giving you advice or ignoring your orders.

Actually, you won't find the term lupide out there other than my works. It's pretty much another word for kitsune, or fox, but I just have to be unique. Faye isn't technically a silver fox, but that is her inspiration. It wasn't really decided until a few days ago. Lenna almost retook the main character spot, but I wanted to see more fox girls leading games.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran
Completed: NaNo2015 Bedtime, NaNo2016 The Doll and the Spider, NaNo2017 What's Your Name?, NaNo2018 Painting Your Skin, NaNo2019 Home's Embrace, NaNo2020 Molly

#4 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

YES! A FOX GIRL AS THE LEAD! *loves foxes...ahem* Ahh, okay than. So it's a prequel to them. I'll be sure to give them a look some time. But I like to do things in chronological order so if they're already out I won't be playing them for a while. XP

And all righty than. Nice to play games that take place in schools and such, that actually have you participate in the classes. (While some just skip through them since they're everyday lessons we'd see anywhere) Hmm....I'd probably end up killing everyone. But I won't give up until I get all of the endings. (I wonder who'll disobey first...XF)

It actually stands for fox? o.o I thought it was for wolf. Since wolves have lupus and foxes have vulpes. Oh well, it's a world you created so you can decide which is what. It's what makes playing games and reading stories taking place in another world and such so interesting. You don't know the rules and how their society works. Also I only mentioned the kitty girl since you made the idea off of it with non-traditional school setting. (In the end I'm happy since it'll be a fox girl instead.)
ImageImageImageImage

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#5 Post by Fawn »

Otome.... ;_; I thought you were on our side, Tsuki.

Dissapointment aside, the art is pretty nice and I like the scifi-ness. Faye is totes adorable. However the males are kind of meh so far... None of them are very attractive, and the girls seem to be much more developed. That's just my opinion though.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#6 Post by KomiTsuku »

Fawn wrote:Otome.... ;_; I thought you were on our side, Tsuki.

Dissapointment aside, the art is pretty nice and I like the scifi-ness. Faye is totes adorable. However the males are kind of meh so far... None of them are very attractive, and the girls seem to be much more developed. That's just my opinion though.
Awwwwww... Come on, I'm on everybody's side! I'm just here to write cute stories of death and destruction! That, and when I ran the poll, 100% of the people said they wanted one.

The reason the girls seem more developed is because... ummm... they are. I've been writing the first two since 2001, and Faye is also a personal character that I spent time developing with my assistant. On the other side, only Takato is a returning character, so I'm still in the development phase for the others. That's why I need other people's opinions so I can tweak and flesh out the characters. ^_^ I'm trying to do the impossible and write an otome that appeals to both male and female,and still get my wish of a cute fox girl main character.

Fawn
Moe Imouto

#7 Post by Fawn »

Maybe you shouldn't call it an otome then- just a date sim, or a scifi game. When you label it "otome", it screams "This game was tailored for girls", which may make the other side of your audience not even want to give it a chance.
This doesn't seem to be a frilly girly game, so, you don't have to label it as an otome.

Hmm, as for suggestions to the characters... I know he's an angel, but Jade would probably fit his personality a little better if he looked like the badboy he seems to be. Right now he looks pretty shota-ish, which when combined with his personality makes him seem more like a naughty little brother (not attractive). He could be a pretty good bad boy if you gave him the look.

Also, are girls available as love interests? I would love love love to woo Lenna ;_;

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#8 Post by KomiTsuku »

Fawn wrote:Maybe you shouldn't call it an otome then- just a date sim, or a scifi game. When you label it "otome", it screams "This game was tailored for girls", which may make the other side of your audience not even want to give it a chance.
This doesn't seem to be a frilly girly game, so, you don't have to label it as an otome.

Hmm, as for suggestions to the characters... I know he's an angel, but Jade would probably fit his personality a little better if he looked like the badboy he seems to be. Right now he looks pretty shota-ish, which when combined with his personality makes him seem more like a naughty little brother (not attractive). He could be a pretty good bad boy if you gave him the look.

Also, are girls available as love interests? I would love love love to woo Lenna ;_;
Not all otomes are frilly girly games, right? [evil] Besides, world domination requires that I swing the female audience that never plays BxG to my side. That means I need to slowly change the standards of an otome. A little less shojo is the first step... BUWAHAHAHAHAHA![/evil]

The more I think about it, the more Jade bugs me. Even though Jade's casual clothes are more "bad", Iotor really covers the "bad boy/ anti-hero" field much better, while Jade just comes off as a sniveling punk. Hmmmmm... okay, I think his character is going back to the drawing board, which means Mana might end up changing since they are a pair. I think I'm going to keep the some of the sassy attitude I saw him having, but maybe make him play a lot more on the brains over brawn side... maybe still being something of a manipulative troublemaker.

If I have my wish, all of the cadets are going to be love interests. Some are going to be easier to get (Yoi/Iotor), while (sorry...) Lenna and Jade are going to be much more difficult and require more... tact. (Plus, Yoi is a rival when it comes to Lenna's heart. ;_; I'm just trying my best to follow my own canon.) I'm willing to promise at least four love interests, but every character is going to have some sort of relationship impact on the game side of the house. It is a team effort after all.

Sunlit-Dreamer
Veteran

#9 Post by Sunlit-Dreamer »

Well I do enjoy a good BxG game. *nuzzles my Rune Factory 3* Just not sure which ones to play on Renpy. (That and I'm overjoyed at seeing girls be the mcs....seeing some of the HM games have terrible male love interests)

...And now reading about the plans you're making on the changes on Jade (Hoo boy must not confuse him with lil bro) I just think of a hacker or someone like that. ._. I don't even know why I thought that since there's nothing mentioned about hacking or technology. (Other than the simulation training but that's pretty much a given due to it being sci-fi)

Hmm....I wonder if there's an ending where you end up with no one to avoid disturbance within the team. (Or some word like that....my brain isn't cooperating with me atm) And if it does end up that way with everyone a love interest, I might be able to get my little sister into this. (She loves options from both teams, bwuahahaha)
ImageImageImageImage

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#10 Post by KomiTsuku »

Sunlit-Dreamer wrote:Well I do enjoy a good BxG game. *nuzzles my Rune Factory 3* Just not sure which ones to play on Renpy. (That and I'm overjoyed at seeing girls be the mcs....seeing some of the HM games have terrible male love interests)

...And now reading about the plans you're making on the changes on Jade (Hoo boy must not confuse him with lil bro) I just think of a hacker or someone like that. ._. I don't even know why I thought that since there's nothing mentioned about hacking or technology. (Other than the simulation training but that's pretty much a given due to it being sci-fi)

Hmm....I wonder if there's an ending where you end up with no one to avoid disturbance within the team. (Or some word like that....my brain isn't cooperating with me atm) And if it does end up that way with everyone a love interest, I might be able to get my little sister into this. (She loves options from both teams, bwuahahaha)
A hacker is a bit of what I was thinking of. I think the next major update will be when I start giving backstory on the Academy, worlds, spacecraft, and other vague stuff.

You could try maintaining a completely neutral point, but I'm one of those notoriously crafty writers who love double edged swords. If you don't create some waves, nobody will feel the need to thwart you, but nobody will help you when you need it. Sometimes you have to risk making people mad to make the right decisions as a leader.

There will be both men and women romancible characters, I'm just not sure if all of them will be. I write at an extraordinary pace, but it still adds a lot of script that decreases the chance of releasing. I've got to write out all of the battle simulations and design the simulation interfaces as well, so I've got to try and keep things realistic for me.

Arcanum
Veteran

#11 Post by Arcanum »

I need this is my life *grabby hands* Otome, scifi, sim (with that gorgeoussss art)?! Count me innnn.

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#12 Post by KomiTsuku »

Arcanum wrote:I need this is my life *grabby hands* Otome, scifi, sim (with that gorgeoussss art)?! Count me innnn.
No grabbies. >0 You wait your turn! ...which hopefully won't be that long, assuming I can find a good CG artist with decent speed.

Elster

#13 Post by Elster »

School setting, cool...Sci-fi school setting?! With lovely art?! LOVE INTERESTS OF BOTH GENDERS?! DO WANT.

I already can't wait.
Writers are liars, my dear, surely you know that by now? - Neil Gaiman

Tsuraya

#14 Post by Tsuraya »

An otome game? I'm in. ^_^
And the art looks really nice! I look forward to playing it!

Good luck!~

KomiTsuku
Eileen-Class Veteran

#15 Post by KomiTsuku »

Thank you very much! ^_^

I quick question to the masses: Is there anything you'd like to see that you either don't see enough of or never at all? I'm already aiming for the moon this early in development and merging a lot of ideas I've had over the years into one, so let's keep it going!