Creating a Topic for your Game

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CobraPL

Re: Creating a Topic for your Game

#31 Post by CobraPL »

Last edited by CobraPL on Sun Dec 02, 2018 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jonathanacohen

#32 Post by jonathanacohen »

I've done a lot of work on outlining, character, development, etc. for my VN.

However, I noticed that a lot of threads in the Works in Progress forum have logos and images, and I haven't commissioned any yet.

Does it make more sense to post in Ideas, or WIP? Or should I try to commission some artwork first, then post in WIP? (Interestingly, some artists want to see a WIP thread first, which is kind of a vicious cycle...)

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: The Dark
Projects: Cosplay Couple
Tumblr: evns
itch: Zelan
Discord: ltnkitsuragi#7082

#33 Post by Zelan »

jonathanacohen wrote: Tue Jul 31, 2018 10:27 am I've done a lot of work on outlining, character, development, etc. for my VN.

However, I noticed that a lot of threads in the Works in Progress forum have logos and images, and I haven't commissioned any yet.

Does it make more sense to post in Ideas, or WIP? Or should I try to commission some artwork first, then post in WIP? (Interestingly, some artists want to see a WIP thread first, which is kind of a vicious cycle...)
It is typical for at least a few art assets to be present in the WIP thread, however it is not a requirement. If you believe that your project belongs in the WIP section but are worried about the reception that your project thread will get without any art, I would recommend using placeholder art (i.e. CC sprites, maybe a quick logo that you throw together in an art program) to stand in. Spend time making sure that the information provided on characters and plot and such is interesting, but not an infodump.

nerupuff
Veteran

#34 Post by nerupuff »

Hi, I'm looking for some help regarding where I should post my game.

I don't have art assets yet, but I have some script and story for it already. Honestly, I've been thinking of posting this is the Ideas forum since it doesn't merit so much as a post worthy for Works In Progress since it doesn't have what it takes to be a full-fledged game yet.

But, I am wondering to what extent I can have my post in the Ideas forum as well. Am I allowed to post frequent updates there, same to as how other people do so in the WIP forum? I don't want to end up having my thread locked, so I am asking to be sure, since there is Rule#16, though I know that's just for the recruitment board only. I'm planning on replying to my own thread with progress on my work, such as if I change story plots, come up with character concepts, etc., and not just meaningless bumps, if that helps.

Thanks, all.
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Zelan »

nerupuff wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 12:06 am Hi, I'm looking for some help regarding where I should post my game.

I don't have art assets yet, but I have some script and story for it already. Honestly, I've been thinking of posting this is the Ideas forum since it doesn't merit so much as a post worthy for Works In Progress since it doesn't have what it takes to be a full-fledged game yet.

But, I am wondering to what extent I can have my post in the Ideas forum as well. Am I allowed to post frequent updates there, same to as how other people do so in the WIP forum? I don't want to end up having my thread locked, so I am asking to be sure, since there is Rule#16, though I know that's just for the recruitment board only. I'm planning on replying to my own thread with progress on my work, such as if I change story plots, come up with character concepts, etc., and not just meaningless bumps, if that helps.

Thanks, all.
As long as you post actual updates and not spammy posts, there's no limit or anything to posting in your own Ideas thread. Go for it! c: I'm excited to see what you're working on - you've been posting quite a bit and it's made me curious.

nerupuff
Veteran

#36 Post by nerupuff »

Zelan wrote: Tue Oct 23, 2018 9:25 am As long as you post actual updates and not spammy posts, there's no limit or anything to posting in your own Ideas thread. Go for it! c: I'm excited to see what you're working on - you've been posting quite a bit and it's made me curious.
Thank you for the reply, Zelan! I'll be sure to add my thread in the Ideas subforum as soon as I can set it up. ^^
ImageImage
Hire me for proofreading, editing, and (maybe) writing! ♡ Check here!

katie_writes
itch: rollback

#37 Post by katie_writes »

Hi! 🙂 I have the main plot of my W.I.P., and the planned text box, main menu pic and A title/logo pic, as I plan to use it later. Are these enough to start a topic about my W.I.P., or better wait a little, until I can put more info and pictures into it?

huynhson1996

Re:[ OPEN ] BACKGROUND ARTIST -[ OPEN ]

#38 Post by huynhson1996 »

good

KebecMaslow
Regular
Projects: Here's Evil
Organization: Grupo Tricksters

#39 Post by KebecMaslow »

Can I post my game even if its a fan game from a tv show?
"The men grew fond of themselves, forgetting all the fears and hardships of the past... until the darkness came back for them."

Zelan
Lemma-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Zelan »

KebecMaslow wrote: Sun Oct 17, 2021 11:18 pm Can I post my game even if its a fan game from a tv show?
Yes, you wouldn't be the first fan game on here (: be cautious about abiding by copyright laws but also..... we're indie VN developers and the TV shows probably won't even notice our games lmao

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#41 Post by ketskari »

"Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months."

I am interpreting this as "only one paywall post every 2 months," because although I have a patreon, it is not a huge source of funds, and when I post here, the update is not behind a paywall.

Correct?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#42 Post by PyTom »

ketskari wrote: Tue Apr 26, 2022 2:17 pm "Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months."

I am interpreting this as "only one paywall post every 2 months," because although I have a patreon, it is not a huge source of funds, and when I post here, the update is not behind a paywall.

Correct?
This rule is intended to allow for significant update (like initial and final releases), while limiting how many minor updates to a game get posted.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ketskari
Veteran
Completed: Asher, Sunrise, Tell a Demon
Projects: Asher Remake, TEoA
Organization: Sun Labyrinth
Tumblr: sunlabyrinth
Deviantart: sunlabyrinth
itch: sunlabyrinth

#43 Post by ketskari »

PyTom wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 1:08 am
This rule is intended to allow for significant update (like initial and final releases), while limiting how many minor updates to a game get posted.
That doesn't address my question at all...