Creating a Topic for your Game

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

Creating a Topic for your Game

#1 Post by PyTom »

Reminder: The forum rules require crowdfunding campaigns to include a link to a demo or completed game by substantially the same team.

Being posted in this Works in Progress forum will bring a lot of attention to your game. Many people will spend time discussing your game and helping you to create it. If you don't eventually release a game, much of that time will have been wasted. Because of that, we have the requirement that to be posted in this forum, you show that your game is under production.

This isn't difficult - being able to show screenshots or production quality assets like art and writing, is enough to pass this bar. We just want to make sure your game is more than just a setting and a list of characters.

If you haven't been working on a game for a least a week, and the release is far off, it may be more appropriate to post in the Ideas forum. If you're not sure if your game is ready to be posted, please send a PM to the Admin team, and we will help you decide.

Your first post can be structured however you want, but you should respect the following guidelines:

The subject of your thread should include the name of your game, and tags hinting at the content.

It's better to have a descriptive title, so people can more easily find projects they are interested in. A subject like "My New Game" doesn't help anyone to know what your project is about. An example title might be might be:

Moonlight Walks [BxG][Paranormal]

If you don't have a title yet, a working title is fine - or just use "Username's Game" as the title.

You should start by describing what the game is about.

We're interested in the plot and theme of the game as much as the setting and characters. Giving a short description of each of these helps us to get excited about your project.

You should include screenshots and/or examples of game assets.

This helps to show us that you've put some time in, and that your game has moved beyond the idea phase. It also helps to make the game more concrete, something we can talk about in specifics.

You should mention what you hope to get out of the thread.

Are you simply reporting progress? Do you have issues you'd like us to help with? Would you like reasoned comments and respectful critique to help you improve your game? There are a lot of reasons why someone would post in the Works in Progress forum. Please let us know what you're interested in getting out of your posting, in the long term.

You should start the conversation.

Finally, you should do something specific to start the conversation - come up with some specific question you'd like answered, or a point you would like reasoned comment and respectful criticism on. This gives us something to begin discussing.

While many of these points are optional, we hope you include them, as we hope that they will keep your games topic, and the Works in Progress forum in general, interesting and productive.
Last edited by Fawn on Sun Jan 01, 2012 1:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omniknight
Veteran

Re: Creating a Topic for your Game

#2 Post by Omniknight »

Agreed!!

MoonStar
Regular
Projects: Yggdrasil

#3 Post by MoonStar »

this may be a stupid question but does that project/game has to be made in renpy or can be made in anything?

my current project is in unity tho im considering migrating to renpy once i managed to get a hand of it more

fleet
Eileen-Class Veteran
Deviantart: fleetp

#4 Post by fleet »

I am not a moderator.
I make my VNs using Visual Novelty, and nobody here has told me not to post or link.
I checked the site rules. The project/game does NOT need to be made using ren'py.
Some of my visual novels are at http://www.the-new-lagoon.com. They are NSFW
Poorly done hand-drawn art is still poorly done art. Be a Poser (or better yet, use DAZ Studio 3D) - dare to be different.

MoonStar
Regular
Projects: Yggdrasil

#5 Post by MoonStar »

fleet wrote:I am not a moderator.
I make my VNs using Visual Novelty, and nobody here has told me not to post or link.
I checked the site rules. The project/game does NOT need to be made using ren'py.
ty for answer i just thought its better to ask first then be sorry later

TLAOlt
Regular

#6 Post by TLAOlt »

Just a question:

What do I put down tag-wise for a visual novel that is MORE than just a visual novel? Yes, I'm making more than just a visual novel. My game is a puzzle game, maze game and turn-based RPG with VN elements written in to make a story.

So..... what would I call that?

Currently I have:

Wabisana's Dungeon [GxB][Horror][VN+more]

Is that acceptable or do I need to make it something else??

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#7 Post by SundownKid »

You could probably use the tag [Gameplay] or [Puzzle/RPG]. I think it's already accepted it's probably a visual novel if it's on this board.

Rinima
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: WtRF
Organization: Harmonic Dreams
IRC Nick: Rinima or Charlie
Deviantart: Emlindes

#8 Post by Rinima »

TLAOlt wrote:Just a question:

What do I put down tag-wise for a visual novel that is MORE than just a visual novel? Yes, I'm making more than just a visual novel. My game is a puzzle game, maze game and turn-based RPG with VN elements written in to make a story.

So..... what would I call that?

Currently I have:

Wabisana's Dungeon [GxB][Horror][VN+more]

Is that acceptable or do I need to make it something else??
I would think that Wabisana's Dungeon [GxB][Horror][RPG] would be more suitable? We have several RPG's on the forum *points to Coren's Mica game* look at that, it seems to be a good example. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=25888
Pronouns: They/them or He/him

TLAOlt
Regular

#9 Post by TLAOlt »

SundownKid wrote:You could probably use the tag [Gameplay] or [Puzzle/RPG]. I think it's already accepted it's probably a visual novel if it's on this board.
Rinima wrote:
I would think that Wabisana's Dungeon [GxB][Horror][RPG] would be more suitable? We have several RPG's on the forum *points to Coren's Mica game* look at that, it seems to be a good example. http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=25888
Thank you very much ^__^ I also looked further into the VN world and found that the Japanese call games that include RPG elements AVG or ADV ("adventure games").

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visual_novel

I'll think about it. For the sake of making it easy to understand, though, I'll most likely put it down as RPG like Rin said.

Thanks for the replies!
~TLA

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

#10 Post by SundownKid »

In Western parlance, ADV seems to be used to refer to anything that has a textbox at the bottom and a view window on top, so it's not really that specific. NVL refers to novel format which is where the text takes up the whole screen with the pictures in the background. I don't think it has the same meaning as it does in Japan.

TLAOlt
Regular

#11 Post by TLAOlt »

SundownKid wrote:In Western parlance, ADV seems to be used to refer to anything that has a textbox at the bottom and a view window on top, so it's not really that specific. NVL refers to novel format which is where the text takes up the whole screen with the pictures in the background. I don't think it has the same meaning as it does in Japan.
Exactly, you make an excellent point! That's why I asked this question in the first place. I am making a game for a western audience due to being a westerner myself, but I know the possibility of an eastern player getting a hold of it is possible, so I want to make sure that it's in some sort of neutral ground so I am making sense to multiple cultures and multiple types of people.

Sooooooooooo... I assume just calling it a VN/RPG would be the best plan. It shows that it's a visual novel, but it has some serious RPG elements... which is the best I'll get. I'll just have to make sure to explain its entire purpose inside the intro thread (preferably close to the top), which isn't a bother at all!

blue0o
Organization: Art Adrenaline Studio

#12 Post by blue0o »

Hi, I'm new to this forum. Just discovered Renpy & am loving it.

Am currently making a digital board game using Renpy. It's about a clerk in a store trying to make money & all the regular & odd characters that enter the store. I'm not sure what tag to use. The game does NOT have many backgrounds like a regular VN. In fact it has one background (the game board), a couple of tokens, cards, & a score sheet. There are still text at the bottom to describe the interaction like a VN though.

Is [Gameboard} or [Gameplay] ok?

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#13 Post by PyTom »

Sure. We don't realy regulate tags, as long as they're not misleading.
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

Tatty
Regular
Projects: Buyan

#14 Post by Tatty »

I have a question, since I'm mulling over creating a topic for a game - I have a good idea of what I want to do, when I can optimistically expect the project to be done and when I can realistically expect it to be done (and of course, a reserve of time past that...), and generally work at a slow - but consistent - pace. However, I do have periods where work takes precedence, and I always favor those over development. I don't 'forsee' any in the near future, but then again, who does? : /

I guess what I'm asking is that if I open a topic in player chat, can I structurally have it resemble a game topic with a warning that I'm largely doing the project on my own and I want to discuss things/ask feedback, but not get anyone's hopes up for a release in six months or so, possibly moving the discussion to a proper game topic when it's very near completion? Apologies if this has already been asked before, but I'd appreciate a clarification all the same. : )

Taleweaver
Writing Maniac
Completed: Metropolitan Blues, The Loyal Kinsman, Daemonophilia, The Dreaming, The Thirteenth Year, Adrift, Bionic Heart 2, Secrets of the Wolf, The Photographer
Projects: The Pilgrim's Path, Elspeth's Garden, Secret Adventure Game!
Organization: Tall Tales Productions

#15 Post by Taleweaver »

Sounds like you want to start with a thread in Ideas first, and later, when you're further into development, have the thread moved to Works in Progress. We do that, you know.
Scriptwriter and producer of Metropolitan Blues
Creator of The Loyal Kinsman
Scriptwriter and director of Daemonophilia
Scriptwriter and director of The Dreaming
Scriptwriter of Zenith Chronicles
Scriptwriter and director of The Thirteenth Year
Scriptwriter and director of Romance is Dead
Scriptwriter and producer of Adrift
More about me in my blog
"Adrift - Like Ever17, but without the Deus Ex Machina" - HigurashiKira