Break Chance Memento [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

Re: Break Chance Memento [BxB] [Sci-Fi Murder Mystery]

#106 Post by Camille »

Destiny wrote:If you also build slightly moving sun beams and rustling leaves into your backgrounds throughout the game then I will doubt you are human, I swear x'D
Nah, it looks gorgeous (even though I'm thinking hard how you add that since Ren'Py doesn't support .gif for as far as I got it ôo)
We thought about doing light effects and whatnot, but ultimately decided that it would take too long... So maybe if we have time we'll add it in later, but right now Auro has other things to focus on if we want to get this game out on time. ;_; As for the animation, we're using ATL to animate the rain, of course. XD After our composer finishes more music, I'll probably start throwing together some new teaser videos to show what the game looks like now.

I've been coding in the light variations and thought I'd share a few of them since I'm as big of a fangirl over Auro's art as the rest of you are. XD

Script-wise, we've just passed 100,000 words. \o/ Bonzai!

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#107 Post by Destiny »

Camille...
It's called "Banzai", not "Bonzai" :'D
Except you love those little trees

It looks awesome, seriously, you've gor a great artist with Auro :)

And ATL, huh?
Totally forgot about that ^^
Yeah, yeah, make a teaser, it will be awesome! :D
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#108 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Thank you guys ^_^

Moving light beams might be possible because I'm pretty sure they wouldn't be too hard to do without resaving all the backgrounds, but I won't try them until I'm a decent way through the CGs and know where I stand with them. Dust motes on the other hand... I haven't figured out how to do that type of movement without having a lot of layers... unless they fade in and out or something.. Hmmm, I'll have to think about it. GIFS are good for testing that type of thing XD I'm still pretty new about thinking about the possibilities of ATL so there is a fair bit of experimenting going on. Plus, it's not like we have to stick ever effect ever into this one game. Though I am very tempted to try some light particles for a particular scene.

Oh, and I forgot to write last time. I'm going to write a blog once I finish these backgrounds, so if anyone has any questions about them, feel free to ask and I will answer them there :D

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#109 Post by Camille »

(watch it here on YouTube)

A teaser of my current work-in-progress from BCM: the more refined and combined memento search feature. It allows you to go anywhere in the game and examine things to try and find new clues/mementos or just to read a bit of Shuuki's snarky opinions on the world around him. Now that the backgrounds are all done, I'm working full-force on both this and the script-writing. :)

The music in the video was composed by Korochi Kayoubi, our awesome new composer. ♥

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#110 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

All the backgrounds are now done. I made a blog post that also includes an explanation and a bit of a walk through of what I do http://blog.cyanide-tea.net/2012/07/27/ ... -complete/

I'm also going to arrange to put a list of all the photos I used up on the website for easy reference.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#111 Post by Destiny »

Whoo, the teaser looks interesting! :D
So it is a mix of Visual Novel and Click&Point, huh?
Love that, should I keep in mind for later projects (especially since it isn't that hard to make)

And the explanation on the backgrounds is good ^^
I'm doing it in a simliar way, only that I do the "mood color" not after the outlines but after the major coloring.
But whatever, your style for backgrounds is awesome :)
The shower - for example - looks like a photo at first, really good!
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#112 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I have finished updating the side sprites, I just have to tint them and I can hand them over. Basically involves me fixing a bunch of things I have already done.

This is an example of the effect of tinting on the scene. I don't have the actually PSD for the text box at the moment, so this is hacked from a previous scene. The tinting is probably most obvious in the darker settings.

Arcanum
Veteran

#113 Post by Arcanum »

Wow!! How many backgrounds does this project have? This looks like a lot of work. I'm reading your post on the backgrounds now and I'm so awed at your effort and talent ;A;!

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#114 Post by Nuxill »

I love that you're tinting the sprites to fit in with the backgrounds. It's something I haven't seen in many visual novels and it looks great! Are you going to be using different sprites for each tint or are you actually going to lay them over the character in Ren'Py?

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#115 Post by Camille »

Arcanum wrote:Wow!! How many backgrounds does this project have? This looks like a lot of work. I'm reading your post on the backgrounds now and I'm so awed at your effort and talent ;A;!
Not counting variations and time of day tints, there are 28 unique backgrounds. (assuming I've counted correctly) If you do count those, it's 127. :shock:
Nuxill wrote:I love that you're tinting the sprites to fit in with the backgrounds. It's something I haven't seen in many visual novels and it looks great! Are you going to be using different sprites for each tint or are you actually going to lay them over the character in Ren'Py?
Originally we laid the tints over the characters, but we found that we couldn't get the tints to look just the way we wanted, so now Auro's doing the tints in Photoshop and they're basically separate sprites. It's a bit more work and makes the game a bit bigger, but we think it's worth it because it looks really nice. :3

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#116 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

@Arcanum, Yep, there are 28 backgrounds, 3 are long pans, 3 have physical variations and most of them have 2-5 light variations. There are also 1 NVL background and 1 GUI background so far. I think there will be a couple more NVL or specific backgrounds, but they are more CG in nature so I will do them later.

@Nuxill, I think the tinting is going okay so far, though I have only done the side sprites. I'm basically doing shadow, light and back light layers. It's nice being able to control the colours to that extent ^_^ The main characters are going to take a while, especially since I am planning to do left and right facing variations.

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#117 Post by Camille »

Just a little note that our composer recently put one of the BCM songs up on his SoundCloud. Have a listen and let us know what you think! :3

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

#118 Post by Obscura »

Very atmospheric. Fits well with your GUI and scheme without bring distracting, IMHO. Would not turn off (what I do in most games.)
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran

#119 Post by Camille »

Obscura wrote:Very atmospheric. Fits well with your GUI and scheme without bring distracting, IMHO. Would not turn off (what I do in most games.)
Thanks! That's a relief. XD VN music is really tricky because it has to set the mood for the scene, but it has to do so without distracting the player from being able to read the text... But if you make it too quiet and in the background, it becomes forgettable. D:

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀

#120 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I still don't know if I should be happy or upset about these improvements. I kind of wish I could just do this in the first place... but then I guess it wouldn't be an improvement then.

For my next blog I have two choices:

1. Deadlines aka why it's important to make yourself do shit OR
2. Planning aka why the hell you don't want to be retro fitting poses.

Choices, choices.