(P)lanets 2 [Cancelled]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

Re: (P)lanets 2 [GxB] [Sci-Fi School Life]

#16 Post by teacup »

@Cidz
Yes, I fully intend to make use of that falling snow code. ^^
Thank you for the link to the tutorial! That's pretty cool - I've always been curious about how to make animations in photoshop.

Okay... here's my attempt at a winter background. I actually spent some time on this one. Thanks again to Celianna, I used her picture as a reference :)
It still bothers me that there are leaves on the trees, but I think this is the best I can do.

Celianna
Veteran

#17 Post by Celianna »

Trees are like, my specialty or something.

So there you go, you can use it ^_^
A GxB game about designing your own clothes.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#18 Post by teacup »

(  Д ) ゚ ゚
W-woahhh!!
Thank you so much, Celianna!!!
Wow, you did that really fast.. you're so talented!
Thank you! <33

Rin
Regular
Projects: Kaguya-hime, La Cage, Puella Magi Ibuki Magica, The Product of Poison
Organization: Kaguya-hime developer, TwinTurtle, Polymorphic

#19 Post by Rin »

teacuppp *glomps*

for autumn perhaps you might want this:
http://bestdesignoptions.com/?p=17591
If you r lazy to draw little repetitive things xD (which I always am), there's some brush that is dynamic at default like this one
Summer and spring, if only you wanna differentiate, a several flower buds on the trees (spring) and sunshine highlight (summer) probably?

Sorry if my clumsy advice can't help :<
However, if you cant make it more winter-y I don't think I would mind much if they were all the same. To be honest I live in California, USA. It doesn't snow here, and the weather is pretty constant all year around. So for me, I'm quite use to everything pretty much looking the same. (only thing is during spring we get a bit of rainfall so scenery turns a little greener, and in winter the air becomes more crisp and cooler)

I just notice Cidz's post. Cidz has a point, and I wouldn't mind if it doesn't change too. Still, for a VN, in a reader's perspective, I believe background changing along with seasons gives me a 'real' sense, or so. Also, seasonal/weather affection is magical~ Like, I always feel gloomy and tired, plus a little bit sad in gloomy, rainy day, but on the other hand sunny day energized me. Similarly, fall makes me feel --- hungry all the time xDD not to mention more emotional, and so on. It is very attractive~
Besides, I guess Planets' background is in Japan?
From where I live, it does snow, just not too much, and it melts quickly unless it is Jan or the beginning of Feb. However sometimes it snows at march or April O.o (Seriously rare though) Summer is sunny and hot hot hot! I wish I can live inside my fridge *A*

ShadowBerry
Veteran
Projects: Yakuza Blossom

#20 Post by ShadowBerry »

Hmmmm yeah I like the last picture, its looks more realistic without any leaves :))

Well teacup, if it wont work then dont do it.
You added some animination right?
I can't wait to play it xD
Own project:

Nanatsun

#21 Post by Nanatsun »

Whoa, I look away for a couple days and like everything happens D: Ah well. Picking up from where the old thread left off...
teacup wrote:That's a good idea. Maybe if you've skipped so many days that you have a bare minimum amount of knowledge, the next time you try to skip, Rinko will think to herself "Actually, I think I should go to class today..." or something like that. I'd be able to implement that pretty easily, actually. :3 Thanks for the suggestion!
Also the idea of using your notes from a previous run seems really... interesting XD Almost like a time paradox or something happening haha.
Kinda reminds me of the game 999, if you've played it
Sounds good! :D Glad I could help. But now that you've encouraged that thought, now I'm imagining just everything collapsing and total chaos and conspiracy theories.
And I only played the very beginning of 999 at the request of a friend...
teacup wrote:As mentioned in the first post, this game will cover an entire year so naturally it'll go through the seasons. The problem with this is that I'm using free backgrounds, many of which only have the basic variations [day/afternoon/night]. Would you find it incredibly distracting if the season was winter, but the background still was the same as it is in all the other seasons? :/ [take the courtyard for example... the grass is still gonna be green, even in winter].
I think the examples, both yours and Celianna's look great. D: Haha, at the rate this is going, Celianna's going to have her own portion of the credits.
I don't think animated snow would be necessary, but adding an extra layer of snow that's in the process of falling (like the rain from before) would be nice-- on days that it actually is snowing, though. That would work for the leaves in autumn, too. In fact, the version with less snow laying around could also be useful for days when they clear the walkways of it. (Slipping hazard and all.)
A suggestion for summer, though, would be a light lens flare. ... Though that wouldn't show up at any time but daytime >_< Flower(bud)s or something during spring would probably be better so summer can just be bare. Not even anything fancy, just like.. those ity bity flowers that end up being so tiny you don't even have to draw stems.
teacup wrote:And as a side note, the character sprites blink now. I'm thinking about making their mouths move as well, but I'm not sure about this considering they're not voiced. How would you feel about un-voiced characters whose mouths still move when they're 'talking'? Would that be creepy or cool? XD
Blinking sounds great, but I'd limit the mouth movement to just the mouth being.. well, open. Movement would indeed be kinda creepy D:

Princess Akina
Regular

#22 Post by Princess Akina »

*squeal* (P)lanets the second!! 8D
Actually, I'm alot kind of like Tag. I read really fast and I'm an impatient little girl, so I skip the dialogue and cut off the voices. And I really really dislike cutting off the voices, because...I like voices. Characters with voices are like ohmygawd 8D If the voices were english, I would just ignore the dialogue and listen to them talk and talk, because I like being told something besides reading it. It feels like you are more into the game.
But if the voices were Japanese and I cut them off, I would punch myself because I can't understand them and they sound so smexeh Dx
Also, I hate mouths that don't match with the voices. Every time it happens (when I watch anime *cough*) it distracts me. Dx
But the blinking animation would be great 8D Me want.
Now I'm stuck between Yusa and Mikah (would go for Ren but he is the brother and I don't like incest endings, if that is what you call them Dx). Would totally go for Yusa, because he reads manga 8D and because he is more of the mysterious type. But when I found out that Mikah plays the guitar I was like ohmygawd! I dig guys that play instruments and sing 8D
So I'm torn.
Anyways, good luck with the game. Definitely looking forward to it. :D
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks

#23 Post by teacup »

*A* thank you so much everyone, your feedback has been so helpful to me!
I got a friend in real life who can edit the backgrounds for me to match the seasons. I'll be sure to tell her your suggestions [lens flare for summer, flowers/buds for spring, stray leaves in autumn]. So that's great. You don't have to worry about backgrounds that don't fit the season anymore. :) All of your input has been so useful, thanks again!
Anyway, I decided not to include mouth movements. I tried it out on the sprites and it just seemed kinda awkward, but they blink at least. ^^
By the way, winter break has ended for me now so it's back to college life. =A=;
I won't be able to come on as often as before now, but please, never think this project is dead! It may just take me a few days to respond.

Also, does anyone know where are good places to find references for [teen] male's fashion? I'm trying to design the guy's casual outfits but google search isn't helping me much. Plus the fact that they will have a different outfit for every season is making this hard for me... XD;
Rin wrote:teacuppp *glomps*

for autumn perhaps you might want this:
http://bestdesignoptions.com/?p=17591
If you r lazy to draw little repetitive things xD (which I always am), there's some brush that is dynamic at default like this one
Summer and spring, if only you wanna differentiate, a several flower buds on the trees (spring) and sunshine highlight (summer) probably?

Sorry if my clumsy advice can't help :<
:'D Ah, thank you very much for the links! <33 I can definitely find a use for those brushes! Your advice was very helpful, not clumsy at all! Haha
I just notice Cidz's post. Cidz has a point, and I wouldn't mind if it doesn't change too. Still, for a VN, in a reader's perspective, I believe background changing along with seasons gives me a 'real' sense, or so.
Yeah, I want to make the seasons very distinct so that the player can definitely feel that time is passing and that they're progressing through the year. Also where I live, the seasons are very distinct [extremely hot in summer, blizzards in winter] so that's what I'm used to. XD I wish I could hibernate in winter, it's too cold!!
Planets is supposed to be set in faux-Japan [meaning it's Japan, but the towns are fictional], yes.
It'd be very helpful to know more details about how the weather is like there, from someone who actually lives there!
ShadowBerry wrote:You added some animination right?
I can't wait to play it xD
Yeah, some very simple ones XD
I've just gotten the hang of animating in Ren'py, so I might be able to put in some cooler animations in the future!
I never realized how many things are possible to do in Ren'py, that now I want to do them all and make an epic game OTL

Nanatsun wrote:I think the examples, both yours and Celianna's look great. D: Haha, at the rate this is going, Celianna's going to have her own portion of the credits.
I don't think animated snow would be necessary, but adding an extra layer of snow that's in the process of falling (like the rain from before) would be nice-- on days that it actually is snowing, though. That would work for the leaves in autumn, too. In fact, the version with less snow laying around could also be useful for days when they clear the walkways of it. (Slipping hazard and all.)
A suggestion for summer, though, would be a light lens flare. ... Though that wouldn't show up at any time but daytime >_< Flower(bud)s or something during spring would probably be better so summer can just be bare. Not even anything fancy, just like.. those ity bity flowers that end up being so tiny you don't even have to draw stems.
Hm, now that I think about it you're right! I forgot that in the first game, the rain was actually part of the background and not animated. Well, it'd be pretty easy for me to add snow into the background so I'll see which looks better. :) I'll forward your other suggestions to the BG editor!
Also, Celianna definitely will get credited if I use that background in game [which I very likely will!] XD Must give credits where they're due!
Princess Akina wrote:*squeal* (P)lanets the second!! 8D
Actually, I'm alot kind of like Tag. I read really fast and I'm an impatient little girl, so I skip the dialogue and cut off the voices. And I really really dislike cutting off the voices, because...I like voices. Characters with voices are like ohmygawd 8D If the voices were english, I would just ignore the dialogue and listen to them talk and talk, because I like being told something besides reading it. It feels like you are more into the game.
But if the voices were Japanese and I cut them off, I would punch myself because I can't understand them and they sound so smexeh Dx
I agree that voices can make you seem more a part of the game. It also makes the characters seem more real to me. Voice acting in OELVN is very rare, though...
XD lol, my dream would be to find Japanese VA to voice the characters. That'll never happen though. ;A;
Now I'm stuck between Yusa and Mikah (would go for Ren but he is the brother and I don't like incest endings, if that is what you call them Dx). Would totally go for Yusa, because he reads manga 8D and because he is more of the mysterious type. But when I found out that Mikah plays the guitar I was like ohmygawd! I dig guys that play instruments and sing 8D
So I'm torn.
Anyways, good luck with the game. Definitely looking forward to it. :D
I'm not a fan of incest either. You can still go after Ren, but the ending you get will be innocent with no romance involved. ^^
Ohoho. Yusa and Mikah are very different from each other, so I'm interested in seeing who you will choose in the end... XD
It's kinda funny though, Nemu is last on the popularity poll but I have heard more people squeal about him than anyone else... so right now, I really do not know who is the most loved character XD

I'll end with a screenshot of Hitomi making a *w* face.

Princess Akina
Regular

#24 Post by Princess Akina »

Ohmygoshthereishitomimakingsuchakawaiifacesqueal
Nawww! Now there are 3 guys I can't choose from ;w;
Geez. Stop drawing so many bishies guys D:
And the part about Yusa and Mikah having completely different personalities...Well, to be honest, I pretty much love all types of guys. >_>
I would go for the more mysterious, cool (and sarcastic) guy, but a guy with musical talent...in my eyes, that's hot cool.
And I like Mikah's personality as well, after Yusa's.
I also find that I go for the childhood friend first in most games. Well, ones without hot sarcastic bishies anyways
And Yusa is an otaku. Like me. ;w;
And Ren is like, ohmygoshiwishihadabrotherthatlooksasgoodashedoes o_e
I'm not torn. I'm like, totally split. x.o
And yes, Japanese voices are hot but I'm not going to talk more about that right now cuz it will go on for so long Teacup, make sure that your dream of a vn with Japanese voice actors come true.
I will be stalking you all the way And when it does, I better be the first person you tell ;)
Okay, maybe I'll stop rambling now.

Anyways, good luck in college ;w; Be back soon
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#25 Post by SilverxBlue »

Dat face. ಠ_ಠ
*Puts him in my pocket and walks off whistling*
And I totally understand how you feel about people asking for incest endings. I get a lot of those too, unfortunately.
So the idea of the innocent path/ending is a really good idea. ^_^
teacup wrote:And as a side note, the character sprites blink now. I'm thinking about making their mouths move as well, but I'm not sure about this considering they're not voiced. How would you feel about un-voiced characters whose mouths still move when they're 'talking'? Would that be creepy or cool? XD
The character sprites blinking sounds like a really good idea, but as for the mouth moving, to me it's just plain distracting. Especially if it isn't voiced. So if it were me, I'd rather not put it, but it's just me though. The decision is entirely yours to make. ^_^

As far as favorites go, I will forever be loyal to Hitomi-sempai. Yusa can only qualify as my guy best friend since we have so much in common. I bet if I pursued his path it'd feel like I'm pursuing the guy version of me. XD

EDIT: Eep! I didn't notice that you already decided not to put mouth movements, so you can disregard my input now. And since it's already disregarded if a mod feels that I'm not giving feedback anymore he/she can just move this on the player chat forum. ^^;
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

crystalxelement

#26 Post by crystalxelement »

wow, i'm speechless. i wish i could give advice but hey, i dont even know how to use much programs. i only know the basics and a few harder ones. *sigh* any music in the game? a theme every character?

AriaAi
Regular
Projects: Go! Youth!
Deviantart: JunnChii
Soundcloud: JunnChii

#27 Post by AriaAi »

Teacup~ your game is getting put together so well. ┣¨キ(*゜д゜*)┣¨キ
I haven't checked the game progress out in a while, but when I came back to check it out I was like "[insert fan cry here.]"
Pff-- Anyway, I thought the backgrounds were really good. o uo Maybe try to get a more orange-ish, brown-ish, autumn-y tint on the green leaves? I feel like it'll make it look more like fall. It looks fine the way it is though. <3
Ahem, excuse me for my horrible advice. /cough cough/ (´;ω;`)
Mods, please move this to player chat forum if you feel I'm not giving advice.

The game is coming along very well~ <3 I can't wait.
( Also, if Ren was datable, I would go for him. //shot. Too bad it's only an innocent end. (´・ω・`)。。 Will forever be loyal to Mikah though~ <3 )
( I actually don't mind non-blood related incest. …(´-ω-`)… I actually only mind it when they are blood related though. //cough. )

Asterisk
Regular

#28 Post by Asterisk »

Uwaaaa!! The art is just adorable!!! It really got so much better than the first game~
but I also really liked the first one too ^^
The guys in here are too cute for words >< Hitomi and that face... *dies*
I really can't wait for this~ you're such a hard worker!! *stalks forever!*

[Posts like this - and several of the previous posts - should go in a Player Chat thread - PyTom ]
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

crystalxelement

#29 Post by crystalxelement »

wait...is there going to be a limit to how many times you can use her psyche?

sayuri
Veteran
Projects: It's a secret~

#30 Post by sayuri »

Looking at the sprites and salivating over them. But does that mean... Ren isn't dateable? TT_TT
I get it, incest bad, but he's sooooooo cute~