{NEW DEMO} Elements: The Academy [GxB|Romcom|Slife|Fantasy]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo.
Veniae
Veteran
Projects: Elements: The Academy
Organization: Mushroom Samba

{NEW DEMO} Elements: The Academy [GxB|Romcom|Slife|Fantasy]

#1 Post by Veniae » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:07 pm

2/23/14: You can now download the NEW DEMO!
2/15/14: We'll be releasing an updated demo on Sat, 2/22/14. More info here.
1/16/14: A head's up, you guys: you can get updates about our progress not only on our blog, but also on our NEW Twitter account! See you there!

Mushroom Samba Productions is proud to present:

DEMO V2.7 LINK
All versions

Somewhere in the Pacific ocean, in an island of medium size, lies the Academy for Proficiency in Elemental Bending, an elite high school focused on the art of bending one’s elemental energy to their will and externalising it. Here, the most talented and hard-working young people are gathered for the purpose of learning to control their elemental powers beyond what would be the frontier for ordinary people.

However, being exceptional comes at a price, which is something 16-year-old Estelle Devlin will come to realise in her Sophomore year. Making decisions, being responsible and learning to act like an adult are just a few of the problems she’ll have to face while attending there. Now having to fend for herself, Estelle tastes freedom for the first time. And boy, is she going to enjoy it.

Through awkward first-loves, contrived coincidences, a great deal of silliness and coping with her own personal problems, Estelle grows as a person and learns more about herself.

Who will she meet? What bonds will she develop? How will she deal with the stress of living up to the Academy’s high standards? Will she deal with it?

You decide.

Welcome to the Academy.

~5 love interests
~15+ endings
~Different outfits for each season

Veniae (yours truly) - Writing, programming, ideas (obviously)
Dee - Drawing (Sprites and CGs), proofreading, ideas
Dream9 - Backgrounds

Story: ~95%
Script: 50%
Sprites: 65%
BGs: 70%
CGs: ~10%
Music: 25%
*The numbers are a rough estimation.

Code: Select all

The game contains 8,011 dialogue blocks, containing 72,376 words and 375,120
characters, for an average of 9.0 words and 47 characters per block.

The game contains 43 menus, 68 images, and 11 screens.

(As of Aug 12th 2013)

http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... eenie1.png
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... eenie2.png
http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... eenie3.png
Prefs Screen http://mushroomsambaproductions.files.w ... =488&h=382
GUI and stuff http://i1128.photobucket.com/albums/m49 ... eenie9.png

We've had this project out in the open for quite a while now, and so far the responses have been... positive? As a team of perfectionists, we'd like to make the best and most enjoyable game possible, which is why we value your feedback! (:

Reading this summary, what did you think about the overall idea? Does it sound cliche and if so, why?
Which of the characters catches your fancy the most/the least? Why?
How long do you think a slice-of-life spanning a school year should be?
Do you have any other suggestions, thoughts or comments?

Thank you for reading!
Last edited by Veniae on Fri Mar 07, 2014 4:05 pm, edited 34 times in total.

MusicaFate
Regular
Organization: Hime*Ko Productions

Re: Elements: The Academy [GxB][Fantasy, slice of life]

#2 Post by MusicaFate » Tue Jan 03, 2012 7:44 pm

The thing is you can't be original "all the way" anymore since "everything has been made," but from what I see, you kept my interest. With your concise descriptions, I was able to depict some interesting characters you have created. I hope you explain how "elements" and "secondary" elements work in your future game. ^^ Good luck~ Oh D: and it might not be bad to add a screen shot are two...unless you aren't done with the UI (that...one lay out things) But I hope to see more progress.
Free Artist. :) PM ME ?~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by gekiganwing » Tue Jan 03, 2012 8:25 pm

I like the cartoonish art. You stated that your game/story will be humorous... can we expect a cartoon-like exaggerated world where crazy things happen, and the characters aren't surprised?

Not sure about Shari's race or ethnicity, but I'm hoping this character can trace her family back to somewhere other than Europe or east Asia. We only have a few characters in romance games who have more diverse backgrounds.

Veniae
Veteran

#4 Post by Veniae » Wed Jan 04, 2012 5:31 am

@MusicaFate: Thank you for the feedback! And there are a few screenshots in the first post, almost at the bottom, you might have not noticed them.

@gekiganwing: Thanks! (: As for exaggeration... No, not so much. Although there will be crack endings, which will be kind of like that. (: And yes, we're looking for diversity, so Shari's not from Europe or East Asia. xD

Veniae
Veteran

Re: [DEMO] Elements: The Academy [GxB][Fantasy, slice of lif

#5 Post by Veniae » Sat Mar 17, 2012 12:54 pm

CHIRP CHIRP DEMO FIRST POST CHIRP

Enjoy and happy Saturday, everyone! <3

DaR
Regular

#6 Post by DaR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:45 pm

*ungodly shrieks of excitement*
Downloading the demo now. :D

I'll tell you what I think of it when I've played it through! :D
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Veniae
Veteran

#7 Post by Veniae » Sat Mar 17, 2012 1:59 pm

Thank you! I'm so glad! (Also, I replied on our blog xD)

I really really reallyreally hope you'll like it! :D

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#8 Post by distorsion » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:40 pm

Demo not working for me... downloads fine but apparently: 3/17/12 5:38:18 PM [Demo] Elements: The Academy[5657] Python applications can not currently run from paths containing a '/' (or ':' from the Terminal).
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Snow Blossom
Veteran

#9 Post by Snow Blossom » Sat Mar 17, 2012 6:48 pm

When reading the update, my facial expressions transformed as follows: :( ---> :-| --> :) ---> :DDDDDD
This + Spring Break = Tears of Joy. This just made my day.
What to say? The art fit the tone of the game to a T, and the music supplemented the atmosphere for the most part. I think I was smiling throughout the entire game (except for the scene between Estelle and her mom) - Estelle's wit, Bobo Boris' shyness, and Alain's aloofness just seemed to press all my happy buttons - I even liked Ezio. But most of all, CASEY - HNNNGH TOO MUCH CUTENESS. Seriously love that guy and the trio's friendship. This demo has left me curious about so much - Alain's identity, Casey's roomate (I just have a feeling he's going to pop up sooner or later) - but most of all, the relationship between Estelle and her mother. Heck, both of the flashback scenes were touching in their own ways, but that one was really just heartrending.

Before I gush any longer, though, I thought I'd just report a few bugs:
For the Windows version, when Estelle goes up to Casey's room and bumps into Bobo Boris, the game suddenly quit and said: "I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred. Exception: Switch could not choose a displayable. While running game code:
- script at line 3110 of C:\Users\Ana\Desktop\The Academy\[Demo]/game/script.rpy" and a lot of other gobbledygook. Also, the Mac version won't open for the reason distorsion stated.

Regardless, this demo just upgraded me from a lurker to a stalker devoted fan. Best of luck with the rest of the game!

DaR
Regular

#10 Post by DaR » Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:28 pm

Snow Blossom wrote:Before I gush any longer, though, I thought I'd just report a few bugs:
For the Windows version, when Estelle goes up to Casey's room and bumps into Bobo Boris, the game suddenly quit and said: "I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred. Exception: Switch could not choose a displayable. While running game code:
- script at line 3110 of C:\Users\Ana\Desktop\The Academy\[Demo]/game/script.rpy" and a lot of other gobbledygook. Also, the Mac version won't open for the reason distorsion stated.

I had a the same error happen around the same time, mine happened
right after Estelle and Bobo started playing video games.

But on a lighter note, I was essentially squealing the entire time I was playing! I love Casey and Boris the best, and Estelle's interactions with the two made me want to start dancing like a loon. The characters all mesh together really well, and that little flashback to Estelle's home life made me very curious. Shari's interactions with Dafydd are adorable and hilarious. I can't wait for more- keep up the good work! :D

(also: I want to just marry Boris. He's so adorable!)
I support Mr. Darcy~ <3

Gumm_p0p

#11 Post by Gumm_p0p » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:14 am

OMG!!!!!! I have been stalking this from time to time and it finally on a demo. :shock:
I. WANT. TO. TRY.

Veniae
Veteran

#12 Post by Veniae » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:02 pm

OMG guys thank you~ You're too nice <3 I'm really, really glad you enjoyed it!

I'll look into these issues ASAP, it's kinda weird - Dee didn't tell me about any bugs like that, but anyway. Sorry for that, it will be fixed so you can enjoy the rest of it. (:

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: Re:Set, Morpheandir Tales, The Alliance, Althernis Precasted
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#13 Post by azureXtwilight » Sun Mar 18, 2012 12:26 pm

OMG will be downloading~

Is this uploaded version bug-free? :)
ImageImage

Veniae
Veteran

#14 Post by Veniae » Mon Mar 19, 2012 4:07 pm

Okay, fixed the Displayable bug, but I'm really puzzled about the error distorsion reported. Does anyone happen to have an idea what it's about?

StupidBunny

#15 Post by StupidBunny » Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:04 am

Just finished the demo. I really, really liked that every character had their own, distinct personality. Even if there was no romance involved, there's enough life to hold up a story.

I did get that bug, so I might try again later on today. Anyway, I don't wanna rush you, so I'll just say that I can wait, but I am really excited to see the finished thing.

Good luck!
If I left any feedback that you might've wanted to know, I'm sorry. I could always answer anything you'd still like to know.

Edit: Damn! I forgot to mention, that the art style is really unique, and I'm impressed by how none of the characters look the same. Ok... enough gushing.