Death Rule:lost code [RELEASED]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Graph
Veteran
Completed: Touhou Mecha Chap. 1
Projects: Touhou Mecha, Eastern Starlight Romance
Organization: Dai-Sukima Dan

Re: Death Rule:The First Rule [Thriller/Battle Royal]

#46 Post by Graph »

I wanted to mention a quick suggestion for the recent settings screen here.

I think it would be better to bring the option text closer together; right now it seems like an odd choice to have the player look to one extreme edge of the screen, and then over to the other to see what all the options are. I would at least move the text for Game Display, After Choice, etc. closer to the center. And maybe also move the ones on the left side a bit closer to the center, if you choose.

Maybe you can tone down the saturation of the green screens too. It has more color than the blood right now, and I think it dilutes the shock effect of having blood on the GUI a bit.

It's neat that you're experimenting with the GUI though. I think it'll give a good atmosphere for the game when it's refined.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#47 Post by Hijiri »

Thanks for the tip. Helps to get feedback like that ^^ I'll see what I can change (Since this idiot *points to self* likes merging layers a lot)

Oh, quick thing about the demo: The last 2 sprites have not been finished (They torment Katon...silently.) and it's all that's missing for the demo release. I'll make another post when we have the demo ready.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#48 Post by Katon »

Or I am just being an a-hole and have finished them and I just want to troll everyone........ I wish ;-; Blame my OCD. Btw Satori still thinks I suck.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi

#49 Post by Hijiri »

Updated the first post with newer bios and newer plot summery. Might as well say that the Player's section of The Commodore's Guide is pretty much a biased view and somewhat pointless now. The bios on the first page are more neutral and delve deeper into the character's own personalities.

Opinions?
Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#50 Post by Hijiri »

First post updated with screenshots.
Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule:The First Rule [Battle Royal/Various]

#51 Post by Hijiri »

Going through testing the demo ATM, still waiting on Katon as well (been busy on his side of things). If worse comes to worse, I might release the demo wihtout Gabe or Hector's sprites. (Not much of a problem for my EP, bu will prove troublesome for my co-writer's EP)
Image Image

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#52 Post by azureXtwilight »

Can I ask when the demo's out? XD

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#53 Post by kaleidofish »

Hijiri wrote:Going through testing the demo ATM, still waiting on Katon as well (been busy on his side of things). If worse comes to worse, I might release the demo wihtout Gabe or Hector's sprites. (Not much of a problem for my EP, bu will prove troublesome for my co-writer's EP)
If you have sketches of Gabe and Hector, you could put them in as "placeholders," rather than just having empty space for where they should be. That is, if worse comes to worse. :)
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#54 Post by Hijiri »

kaleidofish wrote:
Hijiri wrote:Going through testing the demo ATM, still waiting on Katon as well (been busy on his side of things). If worse comes to worse, I might release the demo wihtout Gabe or Hector's sprites. (Not much of a problem for my EP, bu will prove troublesome for my co-writer's EP)
If you have sketches of Gabe and Hector, you could put them in as "placeholders," rather than just having empty space for where they should be. That is, if worse comes to worse. :)
I have their "neutral" sprites, so there's that.
azureXtwilight wrote:Can I ask when the demo's out? XD
Sometime in the next week or two?

EDIT: Ok, so the delay for the art now has a very good reason. I swear you're all going to like it when it's done.
Image Image

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Death Rule:The First Rule [Battle Royal/Various][DEMO]

#55 Post by Hijiri »

It brings me great joy to announce that the demo is now available for downloading! Check the first page for details.

Feedback is greatly appreciated!

EDIT: If you downloaded the demo, replace these files ineside the game directory:Script and Sript2
Image Image

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#56 Post by Hayzel »

I loved it ;w; You thought this out so well Hiji. I'm so proud.

Katon
Regular
Completed: Death Rule:lost code (Art), Death Rule: Fear Complex (Art), Amity: One Tale (Art)
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System(Art) , Gene Codex: Genesis
Organization: MESI Games, Corpse Theater
Tumblr: corpsetheater

#57 Post by Katon »

So fricken weird seeing my art like this, ahhhhhhh...
Aside from a few flow problems in EP 2 I thought it was really good :'D

Patty
Regular
Completed: Letters for You, Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks
Projects: Paradox

#58 Post by Patty »

Was excited for this game's demo, been watching it. :3

I loved the feeling captured in the writing, music, and the set-up. You really feel the anxiety of being in the game, and how alert you need to be. I also love the thought you put into setting up the Game (I loved the Death Rules, they add a twist to the game)

Just a litttle point of nitpicking... It would've been nice to see the pda screen of the characters' we've already seen :) I just find it a bit hard to keep track >O<
Like one of the player's death rules is to kill Player X... But then I don't know if I've already saw that player before, if his/her pda's screen as already shown or not...
(Although implementing that is tedious, so I understand why you didn't D: )

Surprisingly, I really liked Hector. C: I thought I wouldn't, maybe because of the age ^^;; bias But he was really cool, and I liked his sprite too :>
His encounter with Abigail in Ep 1 XDD And his screentime with Morgan in the other part... *w* I kinda ship Hector and Morgan now
I second Hayzel :) Very thought out, and I'm looking forward to the full game! ^_^
Letters for You [KN] [NaNoRenO 2012] : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=14271

Paradox [NaNoReNo 2013] WIP: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19714

Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28476

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran

#59 Post by Hijiri »

Patty wrote:
Like one of the player's death rules is to kill Player X... But then I don't know if I've already saw that player before, if his/her pda's screen as already shown or not...
I do this to add a bit more suspense to the situation since it leaves you wondering which of the other Players is/will be the victim of that person. And because of that Double Agent ability in Ep1, I really can't implement something that will keep track of Death Rules and Missions. Yes, that ability is very important. In fact, it's probably what drives one of the main conflicts of Ep1.
Patty wrote:
I kinda ship Hector and Morgan now
*adds another ship to his list*

Oh, and here's some food for though: notice how the GUI is using a lot of video effects, and even the intro states that the Games are shown through video feeds. Now, what do you think that makes you, the reader?
Image Image

Patty
Regular
Completed: Letters for You, Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks
Projects: Paradox

#60 Post by Patty »

Hijiri wrote: Oh, and here's some food for though: notice how the GUI is using a lot of video effects, and even the intro states that the Games are shown through video feeds. Now, what do you think that makes you, the reader?
One of the ones that planned/observed the game? o3o
Letters for You [KN] [NaNoRenO 2012] : http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=14271

Paradox [NaNoReNo 2013] WIP: http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 50&t=19714

Museum Adventure: The Ascension of Huks http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 11&t=28476