[Mystery/Friendship VN] Withering Blossoms

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

[Mystery/Friendship VN] Withering Blossoms

#1 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:35 am

"Our lives can be compared to flowers. They'll wither as time pass, but they're for a good reason."

This is the successor of Soul and Heart, but since that this is done from a different perspective, it won't take up much from it. Yet, if you don't want to be spoiled of it's ending, its best if you steer clear until you have read it.

It was months ever since Cetus and Sirius rose to the military. And as the search for Milicent -- the former Calypso -- goes, Cetus finds herself disturbed by memories that started going back to her. The most disturbing one was a scene of being separated from someone, probably her husband. She can't remember.

But for now, that scene is the last thing in her mind. She had been helping on finding Milicent's true plan, but she needs her friends' help. Until one day, a murder case is said to have occurred in relation to the "true plan", but the victim had no relation in the Change that both Cetus and Sirius caused.

But it might have something to do with it.

One person in relation with the Change witness everything in the murder case, but she can't testify.
They have to find the answers themselves.

And maybe, the "rebellion" is about to start...

Characters
[Details in the linearts subject to change. Cetus' sketch will be replaced later on.]
Cetus Blackstar
Team Spinos
The protagonist, a 4-star general. She (let's call Cetus a girl now, can we) is a messy person, scattering items everywhere her room and is quite scatter-brained. She's quite harsh, leaning onto violence often, and has a sharp tongue. And she's usually looked down by most veterans because she usually cuss a lot and rarely "respect the old code". Aside from Sirius, she've made good friends with Pascual.

Sirius Ayrio
Team Peristeri
Cetus' friend that she met in the prison when they were still convicts. After a regretful experience, she seemed to have been a very kind person with a sarcastic streak. She's caring, kind, and is like a mother figure to everyone. Aside from Cetus, she've made good friends with Yuna, even though she do most of the talking. She has learned to control her Memoria Syndrome and thus had the ability to instantly access any memory from the records room.

Daena Hartknight
Team Kanarini
The 5-star general. There isn't much about her, since even though Cetus and Sirius got her trust, only a portion of her true personality is revealed. She's a determined lady, and is believed by many to be one of the best generals in history even though her circle is rather relaxed in managing everything. She and Maria are good friends, working together once in a while in the government's laboratories. She has the ability to read emotions and inner desires.

Yuna Hoshizora
Team Peristeri
The National Secretary (a special position that Daena made aside from Sirius' position), the daughter of another former general that was under Daena's father before the Change. She and Sirius have an obvious physical resemblance, to the point they were once thought to be related. Sirius and she are good friends, even though they just sit together for tea occasionally. She's rather quiet, and is a rather eccentric girl who likes eastern culture and philosophies. She seems to have the ability to read moods and feelings.

Pascual Silverwind
Team Spinos
The 3-star general. Because Cetus and Pascual are always working together, he had become one of Cetus' closest friends aside from Sirius. Being one of the most intelligent persons in the military he ends up making petty fights with Cetus in small matters. Pascual is the only one in the military circle who still have connections with family, so he's one of the basis in public research. He's silent and shy in public, but with close friends, he's noisier than the public address.

Maria dela Cruz
Team Kanarini
The 2nd lieutenant that's so clumsy and shy that anyone that will see her will rather wonder why she got such a high position. No one really knows what kind of an officer she is though, because in reality she's quite one of the best in terms of archery, which is quite a rare skill in the military. Even though they're quite opposites, she had made quite good company with Daena. She's shy, childish, and has an interest in old faith.
[There are more characters, I docked out a few because they don't have paths :P]
[The screenshots and other things... later. This is just here to make sure that I'll be making this. :>]

Progress
  • Script: 5% (slow coder is slow.)
  • Story: 75%
  • Sprites: 20% Shrunk back to 10% because I redid them
  • CGs: 0% Scrapped them because I tweaked the story a bit
  • Everything Else: 0% (Man so slow OTL)
Team (so far)
  • Sprite Art, initial CG art, Writing: Lumen
  • Editor: Kirroha
  • Backgrounds: Mugenjohncel (?), Goddess Viridi
  • Mini-Game Programmer: [still searching]

Withering Blossoms will surely answer every single open question Soul and Heart has. Though it will be completely different from Soul and Heart as I mentioned; it will cover the reason the events in S&H happened. And I warn you: this will cover certain genetic subjects (which took me months to research) and my little theories on what can possibly happen on them through time.

Everything might just be a lie, everything might be true, who knows?

But to start the conversation, is there anything from Soul and Heart you want answered (so as to avoid scenarios where the end is open again)? Like, plot holes or something? Or any questions about the characters?

I hope you find this interesting at least, and I really hope on your constructive comments! :) I'm working on it day by day through plans and a little art, so this project is a little alive at the least.
Last edited by Lumen_Astrum on Thu May 03, 2012 6:26 am, edited 6 times in total.

shinempp
Projects: The Alliance - BDNL

Re: Withering Blossoms [Mystery VN] [Friendship]

#2 Post by shinempp » Wed Feb 08, 2012 3:25 pm

Lumen, I do have high expectation for this game :) I wonder if we'll know more about Sirius and Cetus past or is it only going to enlighted us about the new characters? Also, this time it's a game isn't it?

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#3 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:49 am

Thank you, shinempp! :)
It'd be more concentrated on Cetus this time, but if you choose to be on Sirius' friendship path, you'd know more as well~
And yes, it's a VN, so it's technically a "game". XD

An update:

I have decided to add tag teams in the military officials! Read more here: http://lumen-astrum.tumblr.com/post/173 ... -tag-teams

For those too lazy to go there, just read this as a little summary:
Since each official’s fighting skill is totally different from each other, the Pagi decided to execute each mission that requires professional attention in teams of two. Each team must have at least one who is adept at martial arts or the use of any melee weapon, one who is adept at any long-ranged weapon (whether from the last centuries or the government-provided ones), and both of them should be at least capable to dispatch someone with a gun. No team will be stronger than another in terms of fighting skill, though each team can specialize in a certain specific skill only they have a specialty in. The two members of each team should be of the same gender to be able to work efficiently, but in General Blackstar’s case, she/he can have anyone as her/his team member regardless of gender.
The teams, the team members and their specialties and capabilities are in the tumblr post. :)

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#4 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:59 am

Updated the first post by changing character descriptions and adding the team names. :D

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#5 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:55 am

Sirius' sprite WIP. Still a WIP because I'm still gonna edit some more stuff in it, complete the clothes set and meh. Will edit the past color scheme for Cetus' uniform.

In case anyone's wondering, the crown symbol in her left shoulder is the symbol of the Pagi, and the bird symbol in her right shoulder is the symbol of team Peristeri, the dove.

bd648

#6 Post by bd648 » Wed Apr 04, 2012 10:02 pm

I personally would like to know more about the history behind the world of the story. like some sort of major event that happened or how some of the new tech came to be.

mint-and-chocolate
Regular
Projects: Angelic Clash

#7 Post by mint-and-chocolate » Fri Apr 20, 2012 12:33 pm

Second lieutenant is the STARTING position of all soldiers, so I'll be telling you straight.

It's the lowest rank.

Which means that you have to change stuff on Maria's description since soldiers usually don't get THAT much recognition at such a low rank, unless you were killed in action at some great war.

Hope it helps, my dear enemy-ish.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#8 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:38 am

bd648 wrote:I personally would like to know more about the history behind the world of the story. like some sort of major event that happened or how some of the new tech came to be.
Thanks a lot. :)
mint-and-chocolate wrote:Second lieutenant is the STARTING position of all soldiers, so I'll be telling you straight.

It's the lowest rank.

Which means that you have to change stuff on Maria's description since soldiers usually don't get THAT much recognition at such a low rank, unless you were killed in action at some great war.

It's a modified military system, but I'll take that in mind. Thanks for pointing that out though. :) The system is still undergoing a couple of tweaks so as not to get too far in the original military positions.

By the way guys, I got some sketches for updated sprites, since the old sketches I got posted here seems pretty old XD I have been going on some style change, and since I'd be attending some summer classes, progress might get horribly, horribly sloow.
Two new charas I'm adding. Omitted Maria and Daena's paths since both seems unnecessary and just makes everything longer XD The one in the left is Gaia while the one in the right is Rayne (is intentionally androgynous-looking).

Gaia's wearing the updated uniform, which means I won't have to draw battle outfits anymore. Total sanity-saver. XD

Daena and Maria. Maria's supposed to look younger than Daena, so if you guys have any tips, please say. :D
I know, those hands look horrible. >_>

Aaaaand Yuna and Pascual. Yuna's hairstyle was changed a bit (got the hair bun a little at the back instead on the side) and gave Pascual some... earring. It's story-related. XD
I'm gonna comment on my own image and say Pascual's hair looks awesome as hell. :'D

I got Sirius and Cetus sketches but I haven't completed them yet. I'd only draw them and Jonas so I can make a decent demo. Demo starts from Milice's diary until
this little murder scene at TF.
It may sound a bit reckless. XD Demo might just have some sketches for BGs, and sprite WIPs on it. At least Sirius, Cetus, Pascual and Yuna's sprites.

I'm currently finding some "iconographer" for the tag team badges, so each of their uniforms will have the team badge on their shoulder (you see, that empty circle at their shoulder...).

*goes back to editing stuff*

SilverxBlue
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Caught in Between: A childhood prologue
Projects: MDLS, Alice Hunt(Temporarily on-hold), The Guardian's Spell and one other unannounced thing.

#9 Post by SilverxBlue » Tue Apr 24, 2012 12:57 am

mint-and-chocolate wrote:Second lieutenant is the STARTING position of all soldiers, so I'll be telling you straight.

It's the lowest rank.

But I thought the starting position was "private", then corporal, then sergeant, then warrant officer, then second lieutenant? Meh. I'm not entirely sure though. I guess being an avid player of games of the general and watching too many war movies with my dad caused me to think like this.

Anyway, loving the new sprites. Your art seems to improve a LOT as time pass. :) Daena is so pretty. *o*
As for tips on how to make Maria look younger, maybe make her face look a little rounder (You know, a slightly smaller chin and slightly larger cheeks.) than that of Daena's?
Image Image
"A fool who doesn't think is more foolish than a fool who foolishly thinks." - Franziska Von Karma
Weeeeeee~
不愉快です !!!

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#10 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:01 am

SilverxBlue wrote:Anyway, loving the new sprites. Your art seems to improve a LOT as time pass. :) Daena is so pretty. *o*
As for tips on how to make Maria look younger, maybe make her face look a little rounder (You know, a slightly smaller chin and slightly larger cheeks.) than that of Daena's?
I have tried making her face rounder, but it looked like as if I took out a random baby's face and attached it onto Maria's body ._. I might as well just redraw it, thanks for the tip! :D

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#11 Post by LVUER » Tue Apr 24, 2012 1:13 am

Wikipedia wrote:In the United States, Second Lieutenant is the normal entry-level rank for most commissioned officers.
Wikipedia wrote:As a result of the gold color of the bars and their usual inexperience as officers, second lieutenants are often colloquially referred to as "Butterbars". Other colloquialisms include "Nuggets" and "2nd Luey."
Link -> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Second_lieutenant

I'm not an army guy, but I think Second Lieutenant is beginning rank for most people when they become CO (Commission Officer). They command something, like platoon or at least several fire-teams? While Corporal and Sergeant are NCO (Non-Commission Officer), they don't lead or have position other than their rank. They are still "the grunts"/back-bone of the army, who do all the fighting. I don't know if they send private to war/battlefield (unless in time of crisis)?
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#12 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Tue Apr 24, 2012 4:36 am

I read through the link. Thanks LVUER! Might modify the military system a bit. :)
I do admit it lacked a little bit of research. XD

And another update: I just got done on Yuna and Pascual's lineart. :) I'm not so sure on Pascual; for some reason his eyes are bugging me but I can't do anything with it that will just make him look more like a woman :| Any tips, hit it.

Any suggestions on Yuna too? I mean, she looks like she's staring into nothingness at the moment. I do like that look, though.

ImageImage

Their collar looks transparent for now :3 I'll edit later in the colored version.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#13 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Sun Apr 29, 2012 7:17 am

Sorry for the double post, but I had finally finished Daena's lineart. :)

I feel more confident towards her more, but does she look too different from S&H's Daena? I think the hairstyle change's good though.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess

#14 Post by Lumen_Astrum » Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:15 am

Started fixing Maria's sprite so that she looks more younger. I got too lazy sketching in paper, so here you go! :)

By the way, I got Reikun to make the tag team badges... here's a mock-up he did:

Yeah, speaking about it, I did forgot to close the recruitment thread... Gonna close it now...

Opinions? :3

Joey
Regular
Projects: Water's Edge
Organization: Etoranze

Re: [Mystery/Friendship VN] Withering Blossoms

#15 Post by Joey » Mon Apr 30, 2012 5:46 am

Lovely art ^_^ I think I'm going to go play Soul and Heart now so I can fully anticipate this game :P

You seem to be making a lot of progress! Don't lose confidence in yourself!
Image (devblog) || devtwitter | devtumblr