New Path v 0.1 [friendship] *on hiatus*

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

New Path v 0.1 [friendship] *on hiatus*

#1 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

This project is low priority for me at the moment. Once Eternal Memories has progressed more, I will continue work on this.

As some of you know, I'm working on Eternal Memories in addition to this. Unlike Eternal Memories, this game should be appropriate only for people 16+

The reason behind this rating is: strong language, realistic violence, murder, drugs and drug abuse, rape (not depicted or described, but one of the characters has done it), blood, and morbidness.

Positions:
Writing - redeyesblackpanda 1% complete
Programming - redeyesblackpanda 1 % complete
Sprites and CG - open 0% complete
Backgrounds - open 0% complete
Music - open 0% complete
Proofreading: See the test thread.

The plan is to have BxG elements, but the paths are going to seem more like friendship paths. There's also plans for friendship paths with guys.

Alright, here's some information and a demo:
New Path
A special program that attempts to reform troubled youths. Those participating in it have done everything from rape, to drugs, to murder.
Character Descriptions (subject to change)

Lance McCormick
the tormented murderer
17 years old. The main character, Lance has been living in foster care most of his life. He never knew his father and his mother was a drug addict (she died from overdosing when Lance was 3). He tried to rob a convenience store, but things went wrong and he ended up accidentally killing the cashier. He ends up being tried as an adult and faces only the minimum sentence of 10 years in prison for second degree murder. Having considered his circumstances, the judge presents an alternative: participating in "New Path." Lance takes the offer.
Physical traits: Brown longish hair, brown eyes, rough, thin, 5' 7", light skin tone.

James Lawrence
the warden
47 years old. The person running "New Path" and it's founder. He believes that everyone has some good in them, but he's very strict, because he thinks that's the best way to get the students on the right path. He's not very kind outwardly and that has earned him the nickname "The Warden" among the students. Considering the program, this is actually pretty appropriate.
Physical traits: greying hair, brown eyes, spidery build, 5’ 8”, weathered tanned skin tone

Grace Lawrence
the warden's daughter
16 years old. James' only child. Her father believes in "New Path" so much that he considers it to be a good option for his daughter. She hasn't had any disciplinary issues and is well behaved. She studies hard and she is very kind to the other program participants. She must be tough though, because she spends a lot of time with people who aren't exactly "nice." She's skipped a grade, making her the youngest senior.
Physical traits: long dark hair, brown eyes, thin, 5' 5", pale white skin tone.

Edward Davis
the serious teacher
31 years old. "Mr. Davis" is the teacher for Lance's class. He also acts as a counselor for his students and makes sure they maintain a healthy psychological state. He seems to care, but he's not very warm towards his students. He is a doctor first and a teacher second. He's the colder, calculating type.
Physical traits: short blonde hair, blue eyes, healthy build, 5' 8", light skin tone

Nathaniel Thomas
the genius drug addict
18 years old. Although his well built looks suggest otherwise, Nathaniel's strongest trait is his intelligence. His IQ is that of a genius and he had a promising future. This was shattered at some point during middle school. Nathaniel got into drugs. His grades dropped from a lack of attendance and he ended up getting held back a year. He overdosed once and ended up in a hospital for a while. He joined "New Path" to try to fix his addiction, but he still has cravings. Like many of the "seniors" in the program, he is actually old enough to be in college. He is Lance's roommate.
Physical traits: Dark short very curly hair, brown eyes, 5'9", well built, brown skin tone.

Pyotr Krupin
the kind guard
53 years old. Pyotr is one of the many guards, but he doesn't maintain a professional distance with the program participants. He is incredibly kind and listens to all the student's problems without telling others and is the most trusted adult in "New Path." Many of the students lovingly call him gramps.
Physical traits: greying blonde hair, blue eyes, 5’ 8”, rotund, light skin tone.

Claire Renaud
the lovable klepto
17 years old. Claire seems to be perfectly normal on the surface. She is incredibly social and actively seeks new friends. The reason she is participating in "New Path" isn't exactly obvious until you get to know her. Claire suffers from kleptomania and often steals things from others. She ended up in "New Path" because she stole the wrong thing from the wrong person.
Physical traits: red curly hair, olive eyes, healthy build, 5' 6", paler skin but with many freckles.

Emily Roberts
the icy serial killer
17 years old. Emily is known as "The Icy Demon" by many of the students. The "ice" part is because she generally seems cold, distant, and unemotional. The reason she is called a demon is that she will thrash out at people who she feels are bothering her without any sort of warning. She is feared of, even by the most hardened criminals. For most of her life, she worked as a child assassin for a drug cartel, but it was recently destroyed by law enforcement. She is legendary for having literally killed hundreds of people in cold blood (estimates are that she killed around 230). She may be the most dangerous person participating in "New Path." It is rumored that she has killed 4 other students in the program because they were annoying her. She is much stronger than she looks.
Physical traits: long pale blonde hair, greyish blue eyes, healthy build, 5' 8", light skin tone

David Ernst
the sadistic rapist
18 years old. David is one of the cruelest people participating in "New Path." He's said to be a sociopath and he leads a group of like minded individuals. He was convicted of rape, but he claims to have done worse in the past. He claims that he hates all humans, and it certainly seems like he's telling the truth. He has resorted to violence, but he prefers to use verbal abuse and psychological warfare to torment his victims.
Physical traits: short black hair, brown eyes, healthy build, 5' 7", pale skin
Current Version: v 0.1 (886 words)
Here's the link to the work:
This game when complete will be free.
If you played the demo, please give some feedback!
Alright, I'm definitely interested in feedback. The thing I am most interested in at this point is the wording and accuracy of the court proceedings in the opening. I have no real experience in that area, so I'm almost certain I did something wrong.

If you're interested in testing, I am looking for proofreaders for both this game and Eternal Memories.
You can find more information at the proofreading thread for this game.

Just like with Eternal Memories, I'm not seeking any other positions right now, although I plan to seek artists later on when more has been written. If you're interested in sending me information now though, I certainly won't reject it.
Last edited by redeyesblackpanda on Thu Mar 01, 2012 1:14 am, edited 3 times in total.
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: New Path v 0.1 [friendship]

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Keheh, I knew I was missing something. I just updated this with the description for Edward Davis (the much needed teacher).
I'm also updating the character descriptions a bit.

Since I'm already making a post anyway, I might as well mention that I'm working on the rest of the introduction and have reached the point where "The Warden" is introduced (his nickname isn't yet, though).

I'm thinking of making a friendship rout for every single one of these characters, but for now, I'm focusing on the main ones (Grace, Nathaniel, Claire, Emily, and possibly, David)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

ruthienick
Projects: Vocaloid Visual Novel

#3 Post by ruthienick »

This game looks really interesting~ I really love the plot and the characters. Just a question, do you play as a girl or a guy? Or is it a 3rd person kind of thing? Thanks~ I'll download the demo when you answer.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran

#4 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Thanks! The main character is Lance (a guy). At this point, the demo is really short. I'm going to have more up soon though!
Tsundere VN

ruthienick
Projects: Vocaloid Visual Novel

#5 Post by ruthienick »

Alright. I hope this turns out to be really successful~ Good luck!