Memoirs of an Angel: Legends [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
someone45678
Completed: The Beginning

Re: Memoirs of an Angel: Legends [GxB] [Fantasy RPG]

#91 Post by someone45678 »

Hello ^_^
i have been waiting for this game since...
well, since i knew you were making it :lol:
sigh
no pressure, really, i understand the fact that you are busy and have a block and all that, really, i just always have this mini-heart attack whenever the latest update is over a month or two ago, because it seems like you've dropped the project, just tell us every once a while, a little hello or goodbye every week or two or even month and tell us how you're doing.
thank you so much for your hard work, i absolutely appreciate it from the bottomest pit of my heart, and i love it so much.
i'm cheering you on!
bye!
PS: please tell us you didn't drop W.I.S.H. or Memoirs of an angel. Please. PUHLEEZ.

broken_angel
Veteran
Completed: Memoirs of an Angel (2010)
Projects: Memoirs of an Angel (Remake); W.I.S.H

#92 Post by broken_angel »

someone45678 wrote:Hello ^_^
i have been waiting for this game since...
well, since i knew you were making it :lol:
sigh
no pressure, really, i understand the fact that you are busy and have a block and all that, really, i just always have this mini-heart attack whenever the latest update is over a month or two ago, because it seems like you've dropped the project, just tell us every once a while, a little hello or goodbye every week or two or even month and tell us how you're doing.
thank you so much for your hard work, i absolutely appreciate it from the bottomest pit of my heart, and i love it so much.
i'm cheering you on!
bye!
PS: please tell us you didn't drop W.I.S.H. or Memoirs of an angel. Please. PUHLEEZ.
Don't worry, I haven't dropped either project. :) Ideas for them are still bouncing around in my head, I just haven't really been actively making progress on them.

In terms of Memoirs, I can tell you that the 5-minute "demo" up now is obsolete and will probably be scrapped entirely. It's important to note that I started this "remake" project almost immediately after the initial release of the original game, and it was originally just going to more of an update, a rewriting of the same basic story with a couple extra characters. But it's been five years since then, and I've had time to rethink a lot of the story and characters. And since it's meant to be kind of a re-imagining anyway, might as well go all out and make it something entirely new, right? :P So, it's kind of evolved into something different from the original concept, which requires rethinking a lot of gameplay elements as well.

Luckily, the fact that I actually have a mostly-steady income now opens up a lot of options. In particular, I want to commission new character sprites - partially because I'm sick of the old ones (they're pretty, but I've been staring at them for five years...), and partially because I feel really bad that the cast is almost entirely white males. This is a story about women for women; we need to see more women in this world than just the protagonist. So, I'll be adding a couple characters - well, adding one, replacing another, maybe featuring Aukinora more prominently. I'll update the front page with details on those characters once I've made more progress on the game and am sure of what I'm going to do with them.

What I have been actively working on is a prequel to Memoirs of an Angel, called Memoirs of Genesis. It's not a game, but rather an e-book about Zuleika's predecessor, Genesis, and it sets up a lot of the conflict that occurs in Zuleika's story. I think finishing that first will really help bring together all the world building and give me a better sense of the setting and atmosphere (it'll also be a good chance to hone my writing skills, which could still use some work...). And I'm hoping that it will help tide fans over while I figure out what I'm going to do with MoaA: Legends. ;)

But yeah, I'm still working on stuff, slowly but surely. It's just not stuff I can really give updates on, since most of it is still in the ideas stage. I've kind of been letting this thread die on purpose, to be honest; there's no reason to keep it going when it may still be years before I finish the game, and feeling guilty about taking so long just makes me feel bad, and then I end up putting it off even more. I've decided to just stop caring about how long it takes. What's important is that when I do finish it, it's something I can be proud of and can truthfully say I tried my best on.

So...yeah. This project is too near and dear to my heart for me to give up on, but that doesn't mean it'll be done in any sort of timely manner. :lol: Thank you guys for being so patient.

memeleaker

#93 Post by memeleaker »

Is there any chance this game is still in the process of development? There's definitely potential from what I've seen and I would love to see more! :D

broken_angel
Veteran

#94 Post by broken_angel »

memeleaker wrote:Is there any chance this game is still in the process of development? There's definitely potential from what I've seen and I would love to see more! :D
Believe it or not, yes, it's still in development! I was actually making pretty good progress on the storyboard before I got a new job and life got hectic - I'm thinking there's enough material plot-wise for two games, actually (especially since once I make one, the framework will already be built to make the second). That said, I'm still a long ways away from finishing anything tangible. I'm currently working on a smaller game (based within the same world) with a battle system similar to the one I envision for Memoirs as a sort of prototype for when I tackle the full game.

Thanks for your continued interest!

memeleaker

#95 Post by memeleaker »

broken_angel wrote:
memeleaker wrote:Is there any chance this game is still in the process of development? There's definitely potential from what I've seen and I would love to see more! :D
Believe it or not, yes, it's still in development! I was actually making pretty good progress on the storyboard before I got a new job and life got hectic - I'm thinking there's enough material plot-wise for two games, actually (especially since once I make one, the framework will already be built to make the second). That said, I'm still a long ways away from finishing anything tangible. I'm currently working on a smaller game (based within the same world) with a battle system similar to the one I envision for Memoirs as a sort of prototype for when I tackle the full game.

Ah, I can't believe I didn't see this response until now! No need to thank me for anything, as I'm pretty sure it should be the other way around! I played the original game you created and despite being short, I found myself being in love with everything - from the graphics to the interactions between the MC and her romantic interests.

I don't think I'm speaking for just myself when I say it's very admirable you're still working on it despite having a hectic life! Not to mention, adding in even more complicated work. (If not complicated, at least work that requires more effort, heh.) I'm pleasantly surprised you managed to reply in what I perceive to be such a short amount of time as well.

:) I'll be sure to keep track of the development through your blog (if I'm not mistaken, I vaguely remember that being a thing since the last time I visited this thread lol). In the meanwhile, good luck with balancing the progress within the game with your personal life. <3

broken_angel
Veteran

#96 Post by broken_angel »

memeleaker wrote:
broken_angel wrote:

Ah, I can't believe I didn't see this response until now! No need to thank me for anything, as I'm pretty sure it should be the other way around! I played the original game you created and despite being short, I found myself being in love with everything - from the graphics to the interactions between the MC and her romantic interests.

I don't think I'm speaking for just myself when I say it's very admirable you're still working on it despite having a hectic life! Not to mention, adding in even more complicated work. (If not complicated, at least work that requires more effort, heh.) I'm pleasantly surprised you managed to reply in what I perceive to be such a short amount of time as well.

:) I'll be sure to keep track of the development through your blog (if I'm not mistaken, I vaguely remember that being a thing since the last time I visited this thread lol). In the meanwhile, good luck with balancing the progress within the game with your personal life. <3
Haha, thanks. I need all the luck I can get!

As for following updates, my Blogspot(?) blog is defunct now, but I do have a blog on Tumblr where I occasionally post updates (but mostly just reblog stuff about other cool games that other people are making).

HeideeSonata
Tumblr: heideesonata
Deviantart: HeideeSonata

#97 Post by HeideeSonata »

ahhh, the download is not working anymore, is it deleted already? :<

broken_angel
Veteran

#98 Post by broken_angel »

HeideeSonata wrote: Thu May 10, 2018 10:59 pm ahhh, the download is not working anymore, is it deleted already? :<
Oh no! I think my DropBox account must have expired or something.

Luckily, I still have a copy. But keep in mind that it's from like 6 years ago, so the likelihood of completing what currently exists is slim to none. If I do pick Memoirs: Legends back up - which I wholly intend to do - it will likely be written in Unity or something that gives me more flexibility over the gameplay.

The file can now be downloaded from my personal site at http://anigrams.org/downloads/Memoirsof ... .2-all.zip. I'll update the first post with the link as well. Thanks for catching this!

NiKaWo
Regular
itch: NiKaWo

#99 Post by NiKaWo »

Oh wow, I didn't realize that you were still planning on finishing this some day. I'm really happy!!!!

I'm a total sucker for childhood/long time friend LI's... Especially if they're blue-haired apparently :D

narutochats
Regular

#100 Post by narutochats »

Still lurking here lol! This remake demo was a huge inspiration for me to make my own game and getting some understanding of python/renpy programming. I know it's been yearrrsss, under a decade but gosh this game and remake demo had a huge impact on me. It's hard to feel motivated when you don't think anyone cares anymore but even still, years and years later, I hope you get inspired again and want to make stuff (if not even this remake, at least make stories) because I definitely still care about your works and art. Well anyways, I hope this message gets to you one day! I'll always be lurking on lemmasoft every now and then for games of my past that are near and dear to my heart.
I've been at this too long...