Wan to Nyan! [Short, Cute KN w/ some Romance] Updated 05.23

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
momoshie
Regular
Projects: Wan to Nyan!

Wan to Nyan! [Short, Cute KN w/ some Romance] Updated 05.23

#1 Post by momoshie »

This game is actually one of many projects I tried dedicating to my best friend, Eileen (no, not our favorite Ren'py tutor :D), but I feel like this is the one that will make it! >.<

Plot:
Follow a dog and a cat's adventures as the seasons pass by.
That's it; I was not kidding when I tagged 'Short'.
The game will have four scenes: one for each season.

Characters:

Airi: Brown-haired dog pictured below. She's the more serious of the two and usually has to look after Momo, though when she's being playful their roles sometimes switch and she becomes the clingy 'younger sibling' (Not sure if this tidbit will play into the KN. Wouldn't hurt to put it out there). While being stern with Momo, her personality does a 180 and she's completely obedient and loyal to Mori, her master. Think typical playful dog. (:

Momo: Dark blue-haired cat pictured below. Momo is (not surprisingly) the more laid-back and lazy pet. When she's energized, though, she loves to play with Airi and Mori (making Airi a little jealous at times). Usually she just naps, does what she pleases, eats, and repeats, much to the annoyance of her dog companion. She regards Mori with an air of nonchalance and categorizes him more as a butler than a master.

Mori: Not pictured anywhere (at least, not his face). The owner of Airi and Momo, he lives by himself in a single apartment. A nice guy, kinda dorky. He adopted Airi when she was a puppy and has had her for several years now, so he thinks of her as his trustworthy, faithful companion. Of course with his kind of personality, he can't help but let Momo walk all over him, but on really serious matters he does assume authority.

Setting:
Some small unknown place in Japan. The game involves Japanese names, and some traditional Japanese festivals.

EDIT: So I'm back to finish this game. I'm looking to update the art because I've found a style I like to fit the theme/mood, and I've improved a bit, I'd like to think. ;)

Issues:
- (major) I still need an idea for Autumn. Kaleidofish offered an idea, but looking it over, I feel it's not substantial enough for a whole scene.
- Adding as I go.

Screenshots:
New Main Screen image.
First CG completed. Sketch-y style used.

Progress:
Spring: Coding 100%, CGs 33%
Summer: Coding 0%, CGs 0%
Autumn: Coding 0%, CGs 0%
Winter: Coding 100%, CGs 0%
Extras: Coding 75%, CGs 0%

Old Post
Screenshots:
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10 ... inmenu.png
Main Menu: check.
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10 ... z/game.png
Dummy images: check.
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10 ... extras.png
Extras Room: check.
http://i988.photobucket.com/albums/af10 ... choice.png
Only choice in the game, ever: check.
Issues I need help with:
- any programming that hits a snag
- developing Mori a bit more, perhaps? He's not a major character, so it's not completely necessary; just provides some fulfillment. (:
- cats don't really go outside so I'm having trouble coming up with events that Momo participates in. This is a problem considering she's the second main character -facedesk-
- debating CG style...
Major issue:
I never have and currently do not own neither a dog nor a cat. Hence, the only thing I can base this game off of is either seasonal events or whatever knowledge I have on the behaviors of these two pets.
Please, go ahead and share some cute little things your pets do (if it's a seasonal behavior, all the better!). (:
Or, if you have any suggestion for an event, say something!
However, it will only be one event per season, so if there are multiple suggestions for one season, I'll have to pick. ): I apologize beforehand for anybody who shares and doesn't get picked!
Further note, though, I do have an extras room for some scenes. If I like yours enough and perhaps it doesn't exactly fit into a season, I will script it and put it in! (:
Plans:
Spring - Pretty much set. Sakura viewing with Mori's family
Summer - Pretty much set. Tanabata festival.
Autumn - Totally open.
Winter - Pretty much set. Airi and Momo play in the snow. (:

Progress:
This section will remain blank for now until I have a more final idea of what the game will include.

Thanks for reading! :D

So... who has a pet? (:
Last edited by momoshie on Wed May 28, 2014 2:28 am, edited 13 times in total.

Princess Akina
Regular

Re: Wan to Nyan! [Short, Cute Kinetic-ish w/ some Romance]

#2 Post by Princess Akina »

Looking forward to this game because:
1. Your art is adorable.
2. It has cats in it 8D
3. It is Japanese themed
4. The interface looks great
5. I am very very fond of seasonally-themed games

For Spring, I think the Sakura viewing will be a beautiful moment :) The characters can have picnics under a Sakura tree (it would be a good opportunity to add a bit of romance or something here, although it might be a bit too early to do that in the game). Also note that at the festival there would be dancing and art. Flower arranging (Ikebana) is very popular there too.
For Summer, there is a Star Festival on the 7th of July.
"It originated from a Chinese folk legend concerning two stars-the Weaver Star (Vega) and the Cowherd Star (Altair)-who were said to be lovers who could meet only once a year on the 7th night of the 7th month provided it didn't rain and flood the Milky Way. It was named Tanabata after a weaving maiden from a Japanese legend who was believed to make clothes for the gods. People often write wishes and romantic aspirations on long, narrow strips of coloured paper and hang them on bamboo branches along with other small ornaments." [Quoted from a website]
If that doesn't work for you, there is another festival in Summer. It is held on the 13th-15th of July. It is called the Bon Festival.
"A Buddhist observance honoring the spirits of ancestors. Usually a "spirit altar" (shoryodana) is set up in front of the Butsudan (buddhist family altar) to welcome the ancestors' souls. A priest is usually asked to come and read a sutra (tanagyo). Among the traditional preparations for the ancestors'return are the cleaning of grave sites and preparing a path from them to the house and the provision of straw horses or oxen for the ancestors' transportation. The welcoming fire (mukaebi) built on the 13th and the send-off fire (okuribi) built on the 16th are intended to light the path." [Quoted from a website]
And the Lantern Festival comes straight after the Bon festival, on the 15th or 16th of July.
"The customary practice to mark the end of the Bon Festival. Small paper lanterns containing lighted candles are floated on rivers or the sea light the way for the ancestral spirits as they depart. Usually a message is written on the outside of the paper lantern." [Quoted from a website]
For Autumn, there is a festival dedicated to chrysanthemums, flowers that are important to the Japanese. It is called Choyo no Sekku and held on the 9th of September.
"Now the least celebrated of the five sekku or seasonal celebrations. The chrysanthemum is a flower of special importance to the Japanese. The 16-petated chrysanthemum is the imperial crest. Every year in November the Chrysanthemum Festival takes place. Hundreds of species of this flower developed by the Japanese are on display. An even more interesting part of this festival is the Chrysanthemum Doll Fete. Lifelike clay figures are dressed in robes made of fresh chrysanthemums. They are arranged as parts of legendary and historical scenes." [Quoted from website]
And for Winter, of course there would be a News Years Eve event and the New Year holidays, held throughout December.
"Preparations for seeing in the new year were originally undertaken to greet the toshigami, or diety of the incoming year. These began on the 13th of December, when the house was given a thorough cleaning; the date is usually nearer the end of the month now. The house is then decorated in the traditional fashion: A sacred rope of straw (shimenawa) with dangling white paper strips (shide) is hung over the front door to prevent evil spirits from entering and to show the presence of the toshigami. It is also customary to place kadomatsu, an arrangement of tree sprigs, beside the entrance way. A special altar, known as toshidana ("year shelf"), is piled high with kagamimochi (flat, round rice cakes), sake (rice wine), persimmons, and other foods in honor of the toshigami. A fair is traditionally held in late December at shrines, temples or in local neighborhoods. This is in preparation for the new year holidays. Decorations and sundry goods are sold at the fair. Originally these year-end fairs provided opportunities for farmers, fisherfolk and mountain dwellers to exchange goods and buy clothes and other necessities for the coming year." [Quoted from a website]

Also, I noticed that you put Tanabata as your event for Autumn. According to my research:
Spring is from March to May
Summer is from June to August
Autumn is from September to November
Winter is from December to February

Correct me if I am wrong, but I don't think that Tanabata takes place in Autumn. I wrote earlier that is a Star Festival (The Japanese call it Tanabata) held in Summer.

Hoped that helped you. Definitely looking forward to your game ^^

EDIT: Oh yeah, I forgot to ask: Mind telling us what age the characters are? Because there are quite a few festivals that concern age in Japan.
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

momoshie
Regular

#3 Post by momoshie »

1) Thanks! I've been drawing my whole life so I'm glad I could make it this far. 8D
2) I know! I love cats and Eileen loves dogs: perfect fit! xD
3) Well, I'm used to making up Japanese names and using honorifics, so I thought I might as well. (:
4) Most of it is Ren'py, but the part that is mine took a lot of blood, sweat, and tears. Thank you ;___;
5) :D Well, what a coincidence! I was trying to limit myself so I can finish this game quickly; and here I was thinking four seasonal scenes and a couple extra was too little. (:

To clarify: no, there will be no romance in the four seasons. The extra's scenes however... ;D

Spring:
Yep, the Sakura Viewing for Spring is most likely going to happen.

Summer:
Aha! I can't believe I played Tokimeki so much and forgot Tanabata was in summer, not autumn. -facepalm- That was major fail, but thanks for correcting me. :D And thank you for the information as well!
The Bon festival sounds interesting, but I can't imagine a guy living by himself doing that; in fact, he probably won't have the Buddhist altar. I have seen scenes of the lanterns floating down the rivers though, and it's so beautiful, I would love to include it. ;___; It's a shame it wouldn't suit him.

Autumn:
Hmm... while the Chrysanthemum Festival does sound breathtaking, the information doesn't lie; I haven't heard of it .___.;;
Is there any other autumnal event? It doesn't have to be Japanese themed since this game is geared more towards showing their friendship. (:
I was actually thinking of having an event where Mori takes Airi on a walk and it leads to a realization that Momo is always home alone.

Winter:
Yes, the winter event is carved in stone practically (since I'm in the middle of scripting it). It takes place around/on Christmas Day.

Regarding age... I actually don't know. I orginally planned for Mori to be a high school/college student before realizing he can't afford to keep two pets without a job (I gather it's pretty expensive). At the same time, I don't want to make him a working man and have him away all day. My first scene, especially, does not make him out to have a job, unless he's a video game designer, haha. xD

On another note: do you have pets? (:
I only have a violent fish; not much pet behavior I can observe from him.

EDIT: I'm also debating on how to do CGs. The style I used on the main menu and game menu is pretty bold. I imagine that's also what the sprites will look like.
Given that is is a 'cute' game, however, I want a more softer feel for the CGs, i.e. pencil-y lineart, lighter, maybe air-brushed colors. Is that too big of a contrast?

Kumori
Regular

#4 Post by Kumori »

I have cats. One is terrified of everything, and the other is nuts.

Regarding the Bon festival, you could always have them live close to a river. But that's just me.

PyTom
Ren'Py Creator
Completed: Moonlight Walks
Projects: Ren'Py
IRC Nick: renpytom
Github: renpytom
itch: renpytom

#5 Post by PyTom »

What perspective is this game being done from? You seem to have sprites for Airi and Momo - and to some extent, for Mori. Is this game being done in a third-person perspective?
Supporting creators since 2004
(When was the last time you backed up your game?)
"Do good work." - Virgil Ivan "Gus" Grissom
Software > Drama • https://www.patreon.com/renpytom

ebi brain
Regular
Organization: Zettai Rookie Project

#6 Post by ebi brain »

I used to have cats ( though, I didnt have them at the same time).

Both of my cats actually loved being outside and they'd mew for attention, standing at the door until someone would let them out.
Though sometimes they'd be really indecisive. They'd go out for a bit...... and 3 minutes later they'd want to come in again...annnnnd 5 minutes later they'd want to go out again annhnnnd so forth and so forth :p

So yeah, don't think that Momo would have to stay in all the time, she could be a super adventurous cat ^^
Since I have our site RSI, I used speech recognition by, sometimes this means I'll make some mistakes. :D

My sketchbook - Come yell at me :D

momoshie
Regular

#7 Post by momoshie »

@Kumori: Actually, they sound cute! The nutty one seems like he'd try to get the frightened one to be more adventurous. (:
About the Bon Festival, it feels a bit like cheating to skip half the festival and just participate in the latter tradition, but like I said previously, it seems unlikely a young, twenty-ish male living by himself would have a Buddhist shrine set up to honor his ancestors.

@PyTom: Yep, the story is told in third-person, usually following Airi though.
Mori will remain spriteless actually; his hands and legs might appear in some CGs, but he's largely just a faceless human.
...But now that I'm thinking about him, I sort of want to make a scene dedicated just to him and told from his POV. >>;;

@ebi: That sounds a lot like dog behavior, haha. xD
I also sort of learn from the neighborhood cats. I see strays walking around all the time (less now, because it's winter) but the house cats generally stay inside, possibly because the owners don't want to let them out?

But, I mean, people walk their dogs all the time and sometimes bring them to casual meetings; on the other hand, pet owners don't really take their cat out for walks or bring them to, say, a picnic.

Speaking of, I came across a house cat today. It's very possessive; it was rubbing all over my arm and legs. :P

And I'm surprised so many people have cats. Nobody owns a dog? o 3o

Princess Akina
Regular

#8 Post by Princess Akina »

I own a dog, and he is a one spastic crazed beast o3o
As in, he cannonballs himself on top of you and lick your hands and face o.e
My DA Account: http://xprincess-akina.deviantart.com It is very, very outdated and on hiatus, so don't expect much from there.
My Blog: http://xsakurahime.wordpress.com Somewhat on hiatus, because I'm super busy at the moment.

momoshie
Regular

#9 Post by momoshie »

...WHY?! Why do my parents not see the cuteness overload that is cats and dogs. ; A;

On a game-related note, I do believe I finished scripting Winter. (: And now, I start Spring, but the cherry blossoms don't quite work when using the snow effect. But I have no idea what 'frames' are, and it's an argument for the snowblossom function. v.v;;

Kumori
Regular

#10 Post by Kumori »

I would help you, but I no understand Ren'Py code.

Anyway, the frightened one is actually quite smart. The adventurous one is only 1 year old, so she learns a lot from the frightened one. Ah, cats...

momoshie
Regular

#11 Post by momoshie »

Well, it doesn't have to be about code. (:

Autumn is still open for an event, so is there something your pets do during Autumn that makes you laugh or smile?
Or do you remember anything in general? xD

Your cats are sounding more adorable by the second. <33

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#12 Post by LVUER »

We don't have 4 seasons here, so I can't help much... But when in vacation, my dog really likes to do outrageous things when I take him in vacation... like challenging a horse (barking at it until it's nervous) or chasing around little kids until they are crying. Of course at that time I was panicking. But now I laughed when remembering it ;P
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Asterisk
Regular

#13 Post by Asterisk »

This is a really adorable idea!
The characters look so nice too~
I have cats but all they do is eat and sleep so there's not much for me to report about behavior here... Altho one of my cat will do anything to get my attention to feed him.. knocking things down, biting things haha
Victory is sweetest when you've known defeat.

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

#14 Post by Joshua1207 »

I'll be sure to play this. I love cats myself.
My cats love to sit/lie in boxes. Their eyes love to wonder at things you put in front of them too.
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

#15 Post by kaleidofish »

momoshie wrote:Well, it doesn't have to be about code. (:

Autumn is still open for an event, so is there something your pets do during Autumn that makes you laugh or smile?
Or do you remember anything in general? xD

Your cats are sounding more adorable by the second. <33
Cute game! I love dogs. During Autumn, my dog (a little Yorkie mix) loves running into the leaves, and rolling in them so that they get stuck in his fur. Then, he'll get upset later that he has leaves in his hair. He's the type that impulsively acts (once he escaped under our fence), then regrets it later (but, instead of running away after his escape, he just sat in front of our house, too scared to leave).
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.