In This Dream of Ours [Feudal Japan KN/COMPLETE]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)
Projects: see my site!
Organization: Kaleidofish Studios, Team ANARKY
Tumblr: kaleidofish
Deviantart: kaleidofish

In This Dream of Ours [Feudal Japan KN/COMPLETE]

#1 Post by kaleidofish »

It's been released! Click this link to get to its thread in the Completed Games forum.

In This Dream of Ours is a kinetic novel set in a fictionalized version of the dawn of the Edo Period (early 1600s, Japan). It stars Kouji, a commoner forced into becoming a warrior, whose injured body was taken from the aftermath of a decisive battle between East and West, and brought to the nearest village's clinic. It's there that he heals under the care of Hitomi, a girl whose father fought alongside Kouji, and her brother, Yasahiro, who trains in order to make his father proud on his return home. The longer Kouji stays with them, the more he realizes that his connection to them is stronger than just a chance meeting...

Characters:

Kouji - Our protagonist. He was forced to fight in the battle that would decide the fate of the country. After taking a serious hit to his side, he wakes up in the Saitoumura village clinic, lucky to be alive.

Hitomi - She runs the clinic that Kouji wakes up in. Happy to meet a survivor from the war, she holds onto the hope that her father will return home.

Yasahiro - Hitomi's brother. Because his father made him stay home rather than go off and fight, he trains every day in the hopes that he'll impress him.

Tadashi (not shown in the preview) - A pacifist. He was formerly friends with Yasahiro, before their conflicting views pulled them apart.

Screenshots:

Progress:

This game was originally finished towards the end of 2009, then left alone until the end of 2011, when I added placeholder art to it and cleaned it up for release. I have a recruitment topic here. I'm mainly looking for an artist willing to draw sideimage-style characters and proofers/editors. (Not as much now.) I'm open to any CG artists that might be interested in illustrating a few key moments.

2/8/2012 - I've been editing the script over the last couple of the days, and learning how to code a few things. I've also replaced and added some new background images to make reading easier. Aaaand...a few other things. Just putting this edit here so that no one thinks that this is dead. It's very much alive. :D

3/8/2012 - Taking my time on the project, instead of rushing it. Adding some secret stuff to "enhance" it... Still very much alive.

5/7/2012 - It's been released! Check out my blog if you want to follow me as I develop other games.

Preview Download:

You can download a preview of the first 2.5k words of the game here (if the link hasn't expired yet).

Feedback?:

Feel free to post any words of encouragement, or your impressions of this project here. Thanks! :D

Special Thanks:

Thanks goes to "thestral31" (someone outside of LSF), Kaiyume, emeraldgreen, and Musashi for taking the time to proofread/edit. If anyone out there is interested in giving the game a critique, you still can as long as you ask.
Last edited by kaleidofish on Mon May 07, 2012 1:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Visit kaleidofishstudios.com to learn more about what I'm working on.

Ginger
Regular

Re: In This Dream of Ours [Feudal Japan KN/Preview Included]

#2 Post by Ginger »

Wow, this looks like it'll be very nice. I'm usually not a very large fan of Kinetic novels, but this is definitely something I want to see more of and play. A little bit of critique is from looking at the screenshot-- I'm not in love with the red border around the pics. Other than that though it looks really nice.

kaleidofish
Veteran
Completed: Tell Her a Story (Nano12), In This Dream of Ours, The Mishka Effect (Nano14), Saving Zoey (Asylum Jam 2014), Fairly Dangerous (Nano15), Palette Swap (Nano16)

#3 Post by kaleidofish »

Thank you, that means a lot to me. :D The character images are just placeholders for now, but if I'm unable to find an artist, I'm definitely going to change the borders into something more soft and less red. I'm going to message an Admin to get this moved over into the actual "Works in Progress" area. This is much further along than just an idea.

To anyone that has played the demo - any thoughts? I'm going to learn how to do imagemaps or imagebuttons so that the menus can become fancier.
Redwood Crossing * THE MISHKA EFFECT [NaNo14] * PALETTE SWAP [NaNo16] * FAIRLY DANGEROUS [NaNo15] * Twitter

Joshua1207
Regular
Projects: composed for: Sweetest Monster, AIdol, Syrup and the Ultimate Sweet
Organization: Mock Off
Soundcloud: Joshua1207

#4 Post by Joshua1207 »

Played the preview thing and it has potential. Kept me interested. Only thing is Yasahiro seems like a loser :P (that was a joke lol)
https://soundcloud.com/joshua1207
My newest hits^

Contact me if you need a composer!

kaleidofish
Veteran

#5 Post by kaleidofish »

Thank you so much for your input, Joshua. It's okay to call him a loser, haha, but he doesn't stay that way forever. He does a lot of growing up throughout the rest of the story, as do the rest of the characters as they change in response to the things that happen to and around them.

kaleidofish
Veteran

Re: In This Dream of Ours [Feudal Japan KN/COMPLETE]

#6 Post by kaleidofish »

In This Dream of Ours has now been released! Please direct all comments to its "Completed Games" thread here. If you're interested in what I'm working on next, check out my blog.