Hope~ Symphony of Tomorrow[BxG][Romance,Comedy,Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Takanashi
Regular

Re: Hope~ Symphony of Tomorrow[BxG][Romance,Comedy,Drama]

#31 Post by Takanashi »

But what exactly do you dislike in the font? The type of the font? Because the "bright" is just an additional effect, it got nothing to do with the type. I need to understand in concrete what's "off" :P

This background was made by a Doujin group. I don't have the link right now, but when I'm on my desktop' I can get you the website no problem. Unfortunately I dont think they have anything like what you are looking for.

I'm still thinking if each character should have its own color in the text name or everybody would have the same, if I could collect some opinions on that it would be awesome :P

Morishita
Veteran
Completed: A Troll's Fairy Tale
Projects: School Memories, Curse of the Caribbean,
Organization: S.K.Y. Art and Designs

#32 Post by Morishita »

Forgive me I didn't really do a good job at explaining that too well ^^; My main personal issue with the font is that the letters for the dialogue box and the name look too bold, kind of like you had the bold cap on *It looks like they are yelling instead of talking because of how I guess chuncky the font style looks* and for me *this may not be the case with other people it's just my personal opinion/nitpick* the style that these font's are in make the words kind of blend together a little and the intensity of the bold and the bright colors make it kind of hard on my eyes but that is just my nitpick, you don't have to change it if you don't want to.
I hope I explained it a little better. If you'd like here is an article about fonts Usability Tip: http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol6/usability_no17.htm.
I believe the most legible font was the Verdana font but I don't know if that font style would fit the type of feel and style you are going for with your game so it's all up to your own personal preference. I've seen some games that had super bold fonts and not to many people seem to complain about it, I just wanted to help save you some possible future headache's of people wanting you to go back and change the font after you released it and since this is going to be a commercial game I just want to try to help point out a few things that would make me a little agitated if I bought the game and the font looked like it was on bold cap the whole time.
Again this is just my own nitpick and I'm sure there are others that are actually fine with the way the font looks so it's not a big problem at all.

I also think that is a very good idea to have different colors for each character, I think it would help to show that a different character is speaking when there lines come up.

EDIT:
Oh if you are able to pull up that link I would love to see there site! I love studying and see how others do there backgrounds so I can wait till you get on your desktop ^^ *So excited*

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#33 Post by teacup »

Takanashi wrote:I want to know the general opinion of the character name text. I've been having mixed feedback about it, is the font good? The colour is too "light"? Correct size or should increase it a lil bit?

Feedback greatly appreciated!
I think the font is okay, but there likely is a better one out there [Maybe it looks a bit too... bubbly? Too thick?]
I do think you should remove the white outline though. It stands out a bit too much, and my eyes keep getting drawn to that instead of the character sprite.

Takanashi
Regular

#34 Post by Takanashi »

Thanks both!

@morishita, I'm going to try to find a mix of colours that suit the characters names and try it out^^

@teacup, the font you are referring is the one inside the textbox also or just the one inside the name placer?
I'll try without the white like you suggested, you are not the first one to complain about the white^^;

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#35 Post by teacup »

Takanashi wrote:Thanks both!

@morishita, I'm going to try to find a mix of colours that suit the characters names and try it out^^

@teacup, the font you are referring is the one inside the textbox also or just the one inside the name placer?
I'll try without the white like you suggested, you are not the first one to complain about the white^^;
I was referring to the character-name text.
I think the font in the textbox is good. :)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#36 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

I think it's mostly because the white is seriously messing with the kerning and so is making it hard for people to distinguish the letters. It might help not to have such a chunky typeface, but I do like the idea if it being kind of fat and slightly rounded. Different colours for characters would be cool I think. Pull a palette together that looks nice together and has a good contrast with that base colour and you should be fine :)

Takanashi
Regular

#37 Post by Takanashi »

teacup wrote:Thanks both!
I was referring to the character-name text.
I think the font in the textbox is good. :)
Ah!! *relieved* xD
Auro-Cyanide wrote:I think it's mostly because the white is seriously messing with the kerning and so is making it hard for people to distinguish the letters. It might help not to have such a chunky typeface, but I do like the idea if it being kind of fat and slightly rounded. Different colours for characters would be cool I think. Pull a palette together that looks nice together and has a good contrast with that base colour and you should be fine :)
Ok, white is removed! Yeah I actually like the name of the chars to be "fat". I'm going to try some different font types and see how it goes.

The colors I'm still trying to find a good balance, if I'm not pleased with the final result I might split it into genders: a color for male, female and other for lesser characters maybe
Thanks Auro!

Takanashi
Regular

#38 Post by Takanashi »

I spoiled some new content on my page, so I'll share it here also. Sorry for the brief descriptions bu I'm writing this on my phone, for more info on the pictures check the website!

Calendar added to the interface, name color still on a quest to find the best possibility, so far I'm still searching for a better solution on this one.

Chibi scene on this one.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#39 Post by gekiganwing »

Those screenshots look impressive. You've got me intrigued.
"Welcome to WhiteSnow, a town filled with snow. Enjoy the world of snow."
-Rhapsody: A Musical Adventure

Takanashi
Regular

#40 Post by Takanashi »

gekiganwing wrote:Those screenshots look impressive. You've got me intrigued.
Thanks! I was starting to think that no one had liked the new screens^^''

applegirl
Veteran

#41 Post by applegirl »

Very nice update :) Of course, I love the art. I also think the hints of humor I see are really promising and I'm eagerly anticipating this visual novel. By any chance, do you have an estimated release date?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#42 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

I liked the screenshots, but had nothing productive to say. ^^;
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

Takanashi
Regular

#43 Post by Takanashi »

@applegirl
Thnks!! :)
I would like to release it by end November/early December, that's my goal! It might end up earlier or only on the next year, but the time window will be pretty close to that period^^

@redeyesblackpanda
Thnks! A "I like it" still counts a lot for me! :)

Valkyrie

#44 Post by Valkyrie »

It looks interesting and I love the art. Keep going :D

tuna_sushi
Veteran
Projects: BloomingBlossoms

#45 Post by tuna_sushi »

Those screenies are amazing :3
I like the date display, it mixes really well with the textbox. :D
Comedy + Crying game = Looking forward to it ^_^
Keep up the good work!

EDIT:
forgot to say this -_-" (how shameless of me)
The art is gorgeous *w*