Greystone Manor [Romance Friendship Comedy Action Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Wee
Regular
Projects: Spacefur: Runaways
Organization: Studio Meh

Greystone Manor [Romance Friendship Comedy Action Drama]

#1 Post by Wee »

Deviantart Group : http://greystone-manor.deviantart.com/

= Disclaimer (because a disclaimer is not at all pretentious for a first amateur game) =

That's a long tag in the title, isn't it ? Well, that's because we aim at turning each girl's path into a different type of experience.

One path will make you fight the supernatural, because ghostbusting is cool.

One path will drag you into vengeance and vigilantism, because criminals deserve to be beaten up (according to movies and comicbooks, and who am I to argue ?)

One path will throw you into an action movie, because military aspirations can lead to danger.

And one path will give you plain drama and romance, because sometimes, personal life can be just as exciting as anything previously mentioned.

= The Game =

Ellie, who realised she was a lesbian a few months ago when she couldn't take her relationship with her boyfriend to the final step, is sent by her parents to Greystone Manor, a girls' dorm not far from her new high school.

She's going to meet the residents and maybe befriend one girl in particular. Not every girl will have a path about love, though, as she's not automatically a lesbian just because it's a visual novel with a female protagonist. And friendship can be just as powerful and involving.

+Details+

The art will not be anime/manga. That's just not how I like/want to do things.

No adult scenes are planned as of yet (unless we figure out how to toggle them, and even then, not sure, since It'll only apply to two of the four paths)

There will be four girls : two available for romance, and two for bromance (remember, not everyone is a lesbian after all). Bromance paths will NOT be watered down compared to the romance ones. They will simply be different.

Development is done in French at the moment, but since I'm a professional translator, expect an English version too (if i don't find someone to do it for/with me. Just because I'm a translator doesn't mean I would enjoy being the only one working on it.)

= The Girls =

Ellie
The main character. She's going to discover Greystone Manor and its denizens along with the player. She has a kind heart, but will find she has to adapt to the Manor's... unique atmosphere.
"I've been brutalised twice in less than thirty minutes and I just arrived. What am I doing here ?"

Trini
The first kind soul you encounter when you arrive. She's a mechanic in her own garage, and lives on the Manor's ground. She's very friendly, very easy to talk to, and likes to make people comfortable.
"A little kindness can go a long way, especially if I checked its engine first."

Karen
She's aspiring military, and trains every day of her life to become as great an officer as her father. Tough as nail, she has a hard time with civilians, even if she is technically one, and always has been (don't point it out to her).
"It's hardly my fault if I terrify people by ambushing them in the park. You should never let your guard down."

Amy
The happy-go-lucky unsufferable sugar-overdosed girl from the Manor. You can get diabete just by looking at her, let alone by speaking to her. She's friendly to a fault and hasn't any notion of privacy... or how annoying she can get.
"I prepared your room myself its next to mine, we're going to be best friends and if you want we can even leave the doors open all the time so we can talk to each other all the time."

The girl from the attic
She has a name, but she's kind of spooky, so I won't tell you about her. (Oh wait I just did : she lives in the attic. And she's spooky.)
"You really shouldn't open that door, there's a reason it's painted black and covered in magic wards... and it's not because it's pretty and mysterious."

Some other girl
We won't spill the beans on this one at all. Not like we did for the witch in the attic. Wait, did I reveal she was a witch ? Well, dang. Anyway, for the final girl, you'll have to play the game. Come prepared, though, you'll need to have your wits and guts about you.
"That's how I roll. Wanna make something of it ?"

My Power Girl toy
Wait, what ? Sorry, no, I just got carried away, since we were talking about girls, some of which were particularly awesome.
"And it's not a TOY, it's called an ACTION-FIGURE!"

= Final Art =

Ellie

Trini

Karen

Amy

= Screenshots =
CURRENT BACKGROUNDS ARE ONLY PLACEHOLDERS. hopefully, Greystone Manor will feature fully drawn backgrounds.

Last edited by Wee on Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:30 pm, edited 13 times in total.
a VN about friendship, space, feelings, and all that's in between.

Sexy Yuri
Regular
Completed: None..
Projects: Demonic Hearts(Current). Paradise Plus
Organization: Ero-Ga

Re: Greystone Manor[GxG][Romance Friendship Comedy Action Dr

#2 Post by Sexy Yuri »

Yay! Another yuri game :3

Interesting concept and how it goes well.

GL

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Greystone Manor [Romance Friendship Comedy Action Drama]

#3 Post by gekiganwing »

Wee wrote:She's going to meet the residents and maybe befriend one girl in particular. Not every girl will have a path about love, though, as she's not automatically a lesbian just because it's a visual novel with a female protagonist. And friendship can be just as powerful and involving.
Good call. I've been on a kick lately, encouraging people to create games and stories about friendship. Maybe it's because of a certain cartoon which I have watched, and which I find both admirable and enjoyable.
Wee wrote:No adult scenes are planned as of yet (unless we figure out how to toggle them, and even then, not sure, since It'll only apply to two of the four paths)

There will be four girls : two available for romance, and two for bromance (remember, not everyone is a lesbian after all). Bromance paths will NOT be watered down compared to the romance ones. They will simply be different.
It's your choice if you want to include explicit sex scenes. As you probably already know, it's quite difficult to include adult content in a story which otherwise focuses on drama, slice of life, or other worksafe themes. *If* you do, then move your topic to the NSFW section of the forum.

Also, I was not sure if anyone has used a phrase such as "lesbian bromance," so I searched the web in order to find out. Whattaya know, it looks like someone is using this term on the Urban Dictionary. But then again, you could just as easily describe Ellie's relationships with the heterosexual girls as just friendship...

On a personal note, I noticed that the first drawing of Trini shows her wearing overalls. Women in overalls is an odd thing which I like.

Wee
Regular

#4 Post by Wee »

gekiganwing wrote:Good call. I've been on a kick lately, encouraging people to create games and stories about friendship. Maybe it's because of a certain cartoon which I have watched, and which I find both admirable and enjoyable.
I don't see what you mean, and nopony would catch me watching a cartoon for little fillies. I meant nobody. And little girls.

Aw crap.

On another note, I'm also making it so that if you fail the first chapter (and thus doesn't end up in one girl's particular path) the ending will be "neutral" instead of "bad". Just because you don't find a lover/best friend doesn't mean you fail at life, especially if it means that you're friend with all of them, just not in a SPECIAL WAY.
gekiganwing wrote:It's your choice if you want to include explicit sex scenes. As you probably already know, it's quite difficult to include adult content in a story which otherwise focuses on drama, slice of life, or other worksafe themes. *If* you do, then move your topic to the NSFW section of the forum.
Yeah, I know, that's why I'm very hesitant and quite sure I won't do it. Thanks for the reminder about switching forums ! But I'm pretty sure I won't be doing it. It's really not the point of the game. I just get the itchy and stupid feeling at the back of my head sometimes that people will not be willing to put up with the story if they know there will not be any cheesecake or worse. I should trust the audience more, I guess... I mean, since I do it, I must not be the only one :lol:

gekiganwing wrote:Also, I was not sure if anyone has used a phrase such as "lesbian bromance," so I searched the web in order to find out. Whattaya know, it looks like someone is using this term on the Urban Dictionary. But then again, you could just as easily describe Ellie's relationships with the heterosexual girls as just friendship...
Yes I agree. Actually, it was only to play on the words romance/bromance, I like the symmetry.
There's also the fact that they become a duo, they're more than regular friends. it's supposed to be as strong as a romance in the end, but since the girl is heterosexual it takes the non-sexual route. But they end up very close and inseparable. I wasn't sure "friendship" would really cut it.
gekiganwing wrote:On a personal note, I noticed that the first drawing of Trini shows her wearing overalls. Women in overalls is an odd thing which I like.
Then you'll be happy to know it's in her final design too. She's a mechanic, it's a messy job and you can get scratched with auto parts, so she doesn't run around half-naked with an invisible armour that makes her bare-midriff magically resistant to harm. We're not in a videogame.

Oh wait.

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#5 Post by Nuxill »

Oh wow, this looks like something I would really like. I'm especially fond of the art style you're using.

Having a different theme for each girl is a cool idea, and I hope you'll be able to pull if off well... not that I'm doubting your abilities or anything! The fact that the friendship bonds are going to be as strong as the romantic ones is exciting as well. :D

Wee
Regular

#6 Post by Wee »

First post edited with the final visuals for two characters :

Trini

Karen

ffs_jay
Regular
Completed: HellBounders - Act 0
Projects: HellBounders series

#7 Post by ffs_jay »

That artwork is incredible, you've got some serious chops there. Look forward to seeing how this one turns out.

Wee
Regular

#8 Post by Wee »

First post updated with some screenshots.

CURRENT BACKGROUNDS ARE ONLY PLACEHOLDERS. hopefully, Greystone Manor will feature fully drawn backgrounds.

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#9 Post by silenteve »

Ah!~ I didn't know it was going to be French :p
But I can make out the gist of what they're saying (thank you high school French) :) I love Trini and Amy's character designs ^^
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Wee
Regular

#10 Post by Wee »

silenteve wrote:Ah!~ I didn't know it was going to be French :p
But I can make out the gist of what they're saying (thank you high school French) :)
As I said, development is done in French at the moment, but since I'm a professional translator, expect an English version too.

So don't worry.
silenteve wrote:I love Trini and Amy's character designs ^^
Thank you very much ! Our artist just finished a whole load of expressions for Trini and Karen, and she's very glad to see her work appreciated.

The next character to be fleshed out is Amy. I'll update when I have it tomorrow :P

silenteve
Veteran
Projects: Forgotten and Remembered, Scarecrow, I Will Be Waiting, Hidden in Spring, Juliette, L.O.S.E.R, The Sky Will Fall

#11 Post by silenteve »

Wee wrote:
silenteve wrote:Ah!~ I didn't know it was going to be French :p
But I can make out the gist of what they're saying (thank you high school French) :)
As I said, development is done in French at the moment, but since I'm a professional translator, expect an English version too.

So don't worry.
silenteve wrote:I love Trini and Amy's character designs ^^
Thank you very much ! Our artist just finished a whole load of expressions for Trini and Karen, and she's very glad to see her work appreciated.

The next character to be fleshed out is Amy. I'll update when I have it tomorrow :P
Yay!~ Can't wait :) I wouldn't mind playing in French though, since I need the practice anyways. But it's great that there's gonna be an English version too ^^
My DeviantArt / Le Tumblr Development Blog
Current Projects:Forgotten and Remembered & Scarecrow
(Failed)NaNoReNo Project: Working on Hidden in Spring w/five lovely team members :D

Wee
Regular

#12 Post by Wee »

Updated with final design for Amy

Amy

bellice
Veteran

#13 Post by bellice »

Yay Yuri! :D
But I just know I'll be disappointed when I find out the girl I like most is straight. Because the characters I want are NEVER available for romance.

Wee
Regular

#14 Post by Wee »

Update with another screenshot...
Also, we're starting a Deviantart Group : http://greystone-manor.deviantart.com/

meeting Amy.

Wee
Regular

#15 Post by Wee »

The project isn't dead, it's... it's sleeping ! Pining for the fjords.

Update with the final art for the main character, Ellie.