The Hurtful Wall [GxB][Mystery]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

Re: The Hurtful Wall [GxB][Mystery]

#31 Post by Egressus »

It's alright. I know how tempting procrastination is. (I really don't feel like drawing the sprites for my own project.)

Just keep us updated when you do have something. c:
Hiatus of hiatuses

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#32 Post by clua »

Egressus wrote:It's alright. I know how tempting procrastination is. (I really don't feel like drawing the sprites for my own project.)

Just keep us updated when you do have something. c:
:A:..........
Why I'm so lazy...
Btw I saw your project ºqº...I can't wait to play it ehehe

Well I decided I will make an shedule to organize my updates, today is THW update day!

I finished all the GUI at last, the feeling of the game is ment to be kind of trashy so that s why I'm using handwritting
(But you could tell me if it looks totally ugly!)

♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

Camille
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Please see http://trash.moe
Projects: the head well lost
Organization: L3
Tumblr: narihira
Deviantart: crownwaltz
itch: lore

#33 Post by Camille »

I had some people complain about how there's only two save slots per page in The Elevator, so you might want to be careful about the save/load screen since you've only got one save slot per page. :O Personally, though, I don't mind it. XD The GUI looks great to me!

Egressus
Veteran
Projects: Things Not Seen

#34 Post by Egressus »

I can see why people would complain, but... It looks so gorgeous already D:

Oh wow, I think you might have outdone yourself with the gorgeous, really, really sweet GUI (?). I like the name "box", too. Everything looks awesome.
Hiatus of hiatuses

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#35 Post by Anarchy »

I looove that the look of the game is so messy and raw and rough, what with all the handwriting and hand drawn elements - my favourite element is probably the large dab of paint that's being used as a save slot! I agree that there might be an issue with having only one save slot per screen, just because I feel like (maybe this is just me) people will tend to save and load in lots of different spots, so that might be an issue... especially if the stars at the bottom that you use to switch screens aren't numbered? Are there going to be limited save slots then? I don't see a "Next" button... D:

sapiboonggames
Veteran
Completed: I Love You, Brother [BxB]

#36 Post by sapiboonggames »

Playing the demo in the middle of night.
Man scream: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAARGHH
Me: AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

*Playing this alone in the middle of night isn't recommended*
Visit my website: http://www.sapiboong.com

Cinnamoon
Regular
Projects: Crystal Aria ~Starlight (20%), かわいいなリズム (38%)
Organization: CoffeeCat

#37 Post by Cinnamoon »

Hello~

I just played the demo. I like it so far~
I was pretty scared by the scream in chapter one >.<

That's it : I'm stalking you from now on !!
m(*_____*)m

TheTourist
Regular
Projects: [untitled 0] - this is not a game (Sci-fi, Romance, Mystery, in that order)

#38 Post by TheTourist »

Before I begin, I have to note: the artwork and GUI for this game is perfect. It fits the tone and the protagonist perfectly. Even the Photoshopped backgrounds blend in seamlessly! But it's mostly the rough and sketchy character work that drew me in. A very unusual, but gorgeous, look for a game. :)

I also enjoyed the various characters. So many games featuring high school students slot each character into a "type," and to an extent Lois, Elsa, and Amy are all "types," but the dialogue and their interactions characterize them fairly well. Even when they're acting irrational about getting hung up on, everyone else's reactions are realistic and well rendered. Great dialogue and conversations, seriously. I'm not sure if I buy them as 17 years old -- they act more like 13 year olds -- but I definitely buy them as real people.

Some of the language, however, especially in the narration, is very stilted. For instance, take the following sentences.
"Today, school was very tiring... And the sky is bright, which is unusual for an autumn day."
There's nothing particularly bad about it, but read it aloud and it doesn't roll off the tongue (mostly due to the "which" clause).

More examples of awkward writing abound, particularly when you switch tenses. In Lois's narration, one sentence might be present tense "I'm ordering pizza...." when the next is past tense "Because I was hungry."

As for the big reveal...
I was confused. Was the profane and dirty-mouthed wall supposed to be scary? All of the cursing made it seem absurd and amusing, not scary. Was that the effect you were going for?
Over all, though, I definitely enjoyed it -- the sound effects were great! -- and the look and tone of the game makes it very unique. I look forward to the finished product! :D
=-=-=-=-=-Works In Progress-=-=-=-=-=
This Is Not A Game - a posthuman mystery and all-too-human love story
This Is Not a Love Story - three high school students intersect over the course of a Friday night

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#39 Post by distorsion »

Hey Clua, any updates on this?
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

clua
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Stormy Night /The Knife of the Traitor/Charlatans
Projects: The Hurtful Wall /_Salomon/Infurubia
Tumblr: notttt-che
itch: chegovia

#40 Post by clua »

Ugh guys, you don't know how many times I have write answering this thread...

I'm sorry for not replying propertly

Before I start replying, I wanted to let you all know that there is a new updated demo I posted on 28/06
You can download it here<<<

It contains the same lenght of the previous demo, but it's already proofreaded by Mink. Also it's a little bit more pretty...ha!

Things that I will present of a future release:

+First chapter will be shorter and I will chop tons of things.
+Cut off some cg scenes, they will be now some small frames indicating the action instead.
+Work more on how fluid is the story also if the endings are going to be...understandable..orz

@Camile:
Thank you so much for letting me know! But I'm with you that 2 slots on The Elevator was enough. I think the number of slots on THW are also enough, but if more people disagree with this, tell me! This is part of my stupid obsesion to conserve some elements of old gaming. Like having a stupid ps1 memory card with all the slots full, and if the game allowed to overwrite other games slots, having the time of your life figuring out which slot was less worth than the other XD. btw sorry that I'm taking so long...

@Egressus:
Thank you for your support! XD Hopefully the GUI will stay like this, save from some little things I need to change.

@Anarchy:
Oh gosh, I understand what you mean! And now that you mention, I don't remember if there's any distintive on each star like a hover state *checks*......Nope there isn't lol..I suck. New thing to add to the list.

@sapiboonggames:
Ohohoho...Luckly this only happens
two times in the game.
@Cinnamoon:
Hey! I'm glad you liked it! I wanted a scream that
sounded more like it was shout by a teenager..but I didn't found it.
Thank you for playing!

@TheTourist:
AHA! you found out! I figured it out too late that, the girls acted far younger than 17. Maybe it's because my way of seeing things is childish, but I could tell mostly because of the level of independence they had, and the kind of activity they did. Also I may be wrong, but I think children mature faster on other countries than in my own country, I mean in the way of independence. Please note this are not excuses as much as they sound...I'm trying to figure myself why I did not figured it before when I was writting them!
about that sentence I can tell now It sounds weird:
"Today, school was very tiring... And the sky is bright, which is unusual for an autumn day."
maybe it could be like:
"Today, school was very tiring... And the sky is bright, unusual for an autumn day."
I always get confused with times when writting sentences, thank you for letting me know about those parts.I will fix them!

for the reveal:
Well, he isn't ment to be scary. Mean is what I wanted him to be. Lol I just wrote a spoiler and I just also errased it :D-What I wanted to say is that even if the game is mystery, I like to add some humor bits on it. As well as some "what the hell parts" like Lois seeing her own face and teleporting etc etc
Thank you for playing it and for giving this valuable feedback!
distorsion wrote:Hey Clua, any updates on this?
yep! well..sort off! There is a demo, although is not that new..orz
♦WIP♦
Infurubia
The hurtful wall
_Salomon

♦COMPLETE♦
+The Knife of the Traitor(Nanoreno 2012)
+Charlatans(Nanoreno 2015)

Dev tumblr
EVN Store

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#41 Post by WickedRaccoon »

hey!love the story,the art,everything!!!!when do you believe this game will be released?

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#42 Post by michi 18 »

the art Looks nice=)
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

Pandora
Regular

#43 Post by Pandora »

I really love your art. I hope you continue to work on this. The demo also had me very intrigued when I played it.

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#44 Post by WickedRaccoon »

hey clua,are there any updates for this game? O.o"

Skyefrost
Regular

#45 Post by Skyefrost »

The wall is hilarious, XD! I was like Wtf?

It broke up the tension in a good way. I love the art and the design.