Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

Re: Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

#76 Post by HikkiPanda »

previously I said that Mneme art which shows her in standing pose needs more slender legs ...

but the new art which shows Mneme in sitting pose looks good even though she has big legs instead of slender one ...

I'm confused with myself now XD

ooh, and a sugestion: maybe use Mneme's original design for other NPC? It's a pity if you don't use such a pretty design ^^

Dollywitch
Veteran
Projects: Celestial Knight Iris, Thread

#77 Post by Dollywitch »

Goddess Viridi wrote:
Dollywitch wrote:^ Agree with Anarchy's suggestion totally. Though I would use a little of the original colour scheme.
@Dollywitch Sorry for double posting '.' I wanted to reply to you separately because you mostly agreed with Anarchy.

Like I said above, I'm not sure how that would work? I'd really love some more input on your thoughts on that. What exactly do you mean? I'm sorry ^^' What are you talking about exactly...
Again it's your decision and I know you're a little sensitive about it.
Now this I find a bit offensive. No offense toward you but... well actually -
Alicia: You need to perform much better this time than you have on your previous missions… No offense but you’ve been slacking lately. Oh dear! Here I go again making everything so nice and wonderful for you again! In all honesty, you’ve always been horrible at everything you do in the Mnemosyne and you’ll be dismantled if you continue to perform that way! :p
I've been trying my best to be open to everything because I don't want to see my project destroyed. I've seen projects crumble over obsession and I've sworn to never be that obsessed with anything that I would be unwilling to change. Calling me "sensitive" towards a character design makes me feel like every precaution I've taking was for nothing. Every time I asked for more ideas was wasted. I replied to you every single time giving my defense and claiming that I'll change it if more people agree that a change is needed. You of all people (because I've told you the complete plot of the game) should understand why this change was necessary.

Being rude and making smart comments will not change how I feel towards the new design. I love it but I'm willing to tear it to pieces and forget about it in the public eye if that's what's needed. Unfortunately, I've grown attached to her new look and it will not be taken from within me. But then again, I create to make people happy. If people are happier with another design, so be it.

But please don't make personal attacks. If you don't like the way I'm managing this, please state why you believe she needs to go back to her old design and encourage others to agree with you. Tell me what I can do to make it fairer for others to contribute ideas. Don't make a personal attack against me.
That wasn't intended as a personal attack, I was just recognising that it might not be easy for you to deal with feedback and change due to your experience in past projects. I was trying to be sensitive as I didn't want to come off as too pushy. Please don't interpret anything I say as an insult, I wouldn't do that in a thread I was giving genuine feedback in.

The reason I'm not going with the plot as an absolute is because I know that's something that can change too, or things can be reasoned in a different way. These sorts of things can be done in different orders. If it's really important to you I'll read over it again and make sure not to make suggestions that disrupt it too much. To be honest I didn't fully understand it the first time. But I think starting with a design for a heavily character based game is a good idea if you want it to succeed.

Goddess Viridi
Regular
Projects: Mnemosyne
Organization: MoeRoe

#78 Post by Goddess Viridi »

HikkiPanda wrote:previously I said that Mneme art which shows her in standing pose needs more slender legs ...

but the new art which shows Mneme in sitting pose looks good even though she has big legs instead of slender one ...

I'm confused with myself now XD
Haha! ^^' I'm trying to improve my anatomy... I actually got someone to look over the image before I colored it although I still failed terribly in the end. I'm happy to see that I'm improving a bit. I'll be sure to work on her standing position next... I really want to finish the GUI!

Thank you so much for your continued feedback! You're honestly helping me improve. Thank you so much!
ooh, and a sugestion: maybe use Mneme's original design for other NPC? It's a pity if you don't use such a pretty design ^^
Is someone spoiling the game for you!? lol, it's like you're guessing everything! I needed a cold human-like body for a few other characters... one in particular. I think the second demo may end with this other character being introduced. >,<

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#79 Post by Anarchy »

Okay... so I read the spoilered tags... and I totally approve of your decision. LOL IGNORE EVERYTHING I SAID AHAHA

I think it's awesome that you're trying to improve your technique (I can definitely see the progress in your newer work) and you should totally go for it! As long as you keep what makes you different! (I did the same thing and now even though I think I'm much better in terms of technique, my style feels too "mainstream" to me - but of course, improving your technique doesn't mean you can't still be special <3) Can't wait to see how your art will evolve <3 <3 <3

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#80 Post by HikkiPanda »

Goddess Viridi wrote:
Is someone spoiling the game for you!? lol, it's like you're guessing everything! I needed a cold human-like body for a few other characters... one in particular. I think the second demo may end with this other character being introduced. >,<
ehehe, I guess we think alike ^^

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#81 Post by Goddess Viridi »

My husbandos
The guys you can erase make your boyfriends.
^^' They've gone through waaaaaaaaaay too many style changes... I think I'm comfortable with this one. If you have any comments, complaints, criticisms, anything and everything is much appreciated!

Homen is a boy that seemingly works at the institute. He visits Mneme on a daily basis and often reads and draws for her. He makes it clear that they cannot be friends but cares about her safety. Could he have other intentions for caring for Mneme?

The one that takes Mneme outside the Institute for the first time. Pandom loves attention of any kind and seems to adore Mneme for her ignorance. Why is he so kind to her and what does he want anyway?

I think it's awesome that you're trying to improve your technique (I can definitely see the progress in your newer work) and you should totally go for it! As long as you keep what makes you different! (I did the same thing and now even though I think I'm much better in terms of technique, my style feels too "mainstream" to me - but of course, improving your technique doesn't mean you can't still be special <3) Can't wait to see how your art will evolve <3 <3 <3
lol ^^' I hope you enjoy this other character! Make sure you're very kind to her regardless of what route you're in and what she happens to do ;)

Thank you! I hope I'm improving and thanks for the confidence boost! I'm trying my best to stay by the story I wrote three years ago and only making changes that seem appropriate to it ^^' I don't think there's anything wrong with a "mainstream" style... It's more popular and will attract more attention at the time. The only reason I'm so hesitant to change into a "normal" style is because I want to keep some originality... But at the same time I don't want to appear like an overreacting stuck up snob that refuses to change >,> I really hope I'm not coming across that way to anyone! That's what I've been trying to avoid!
ehehe, I guess we think alike ^^
lol ^^'

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#82 Post by CheeryMoya »

[deleted]
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Lumen_Astrum
Dystopian Princess
Completed: Soul and Heart, Twin Faces
Projects: Soul and Heart Replay; The Court of the Two Sides (tentative title)
Organization: Lion Box Studios
Tumblr: lumenizampel

#83 Post by Lumen_Astrum »

Aye.

The watercolor effects actually make the game have that utopia feel in it, which looks cool. :3

SaintVain

#84 Post by SaintVain »

I must say, I can't wait for this! The art style is sooo unique and the gameplay look s interesting, if difficult!

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#85 Post by Goddess Viridi »

Hi! Thank you for the feedback... it means so much to me ^^ I'm a little thorn over a website design... I don't know if it's professional to use this or not. I would appreciate any and all feedback on it... The other option would be a generic Wordpress theme. I'm going for a very professional look and I just don't know what to do anymore... Never the less, whatever happens, a site will be up tomorrow.
CheeryMoya wrote:All in Team Homen, say aye.

Just saying that people who have been following this thread from the beginning associate it with your watercoloring style, so whatever you do, do not scrap it. I think it'd pull in more players than put off a crowd, actually. Just out of curiosity, how old are the characters supposed to be?
Homen = 17-18
Pandom = 18
Mneme = 5-6
Homen's friend = 12 when she died
Alicia = 26

I'm sorry if they don't look their age... I wonder if there's anything I can do to fix it? I'm sorry...
Lumen_Astrum wrote:Aye.

The watercolor effects actually make the game have that utopia feel in it, which looks cool. :3
Thank you! ^^' Do you think the effect that I'm using on these later sprites is enough or should I make it more intense?
SaintVain wrote:I must say, I can't wait for this! The art style is sooo unique and the gameplay look s interesting, if difficult!
Thank you so much! Haha ^^' That's why there's an easy mode and an automatic mode ;) Thanks for your comment!

Anarchy
Veteran
Projects: Fairy Tales of Innocent Children

#86 Post by Anarchy »

Oooooh I like that layout! The colors feel very mellow and soft and warm <3 Definitely go with it over a generic one, I say. One little nitpick though- the dividers and the different fonts look like they don't quite gel with each other... maybe use the game logo as the page title, and have fonts that match/complement the logo throughout to give it a more professional, "clean" look? But then again the scrawly font complements the soft feel of the layout...

Zylinder
Veteran

#87 Post by Zylinder »

The site looks good, but perhaps a slightly darker background, as well as much darker font? As it is right now, it's very hard to see the words against the background. Squinting at it would hurt your viewers' eyes too, considering how bright it all is.

Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

#88 Post by Mink »

Goddess Viridi wrote:
CheeryMoya wrote:All in Team Homen, say aye.

Just saying that people who have been following this thread from the beginning associate it with your watercoloring style, so whatever you do, do not scrap it. I think it'd pull in more players than put off a crowd, actually. Just out of curiosity, how old are the characters supposed to be?
Homen = 17-18
Pandom = 18
Mneme = 5-6
Homen's friend = 12 when she died
Alicia = 26

I'm sorry if they don't look their age... I wonder if there's anything I can do to fix it? I'm sorry...
I think your style is part of it. You have this sort of cutesy, super-deformed/chibi kind of thing going on, which isn't bad and I actually like it, but I don't think is the sort of style that leads to characters looking their age.

I don't know, this is how I'd draw Homen (for example) to look more like a teenager, but that's a different style altogether (and it probably could be better, if not for my dog not wanting to get off me).

On a related note, I played the demo and enjoyed it. It's nice to see more bullet hell games.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#89 Post by Goddess Viridi »

Once again thanks for the feedback! lol There's no way I'm going to sleep being so flustered so I might as well stay up and do what I can ^^ Is this better? I made it darker because it was too light and made people squint, made the text darker for the same reason, took away some of the dividers because they were inconsistent and ugly, changed the logo to the game logo, and made all the fonts the same! As always, please tell me if you want anything changed because it will be done!

I don't think I've said this here but I no longer want any say in what happens to my game. This game is YOURS, not mine. I'm simply the one serving you. Thus, tell me what to make different and I'll do it right away!
Anarchy wrote:Oooooh I like that layout! The colors feel very mellow and soft and warm <3 Definitely go with it over a generic one, I say. One little nitpick though- the dividers and the different fonts look like they don't quite gel with each other... maybe use the game logo as the page title, and have fonts that match/complement the logo throughout to give it a more professional, "clean" look? But then again the scrawly font complements the soft feel of the layout...
I think I fixed that you wanted me to... If there's anything else I can change please let me know! Thank you so much for your continued support!
Zylinder wrote:The site looks good, but perhaps a slightly darker background, as well as much darker font? As it is right now, it's very hard to see the words against the background. Squinting at it would hurt your viewers' eyes too, considering how bright it all is.
I think I fixed it? Please let me know if you want it darker! I'm very sorry for the strain I may have caused you... So sorry! Please tell me if there's anymore more I can do!
Mink wrote:I think your style is part of it. You have this sort of cutesy, super-deformed/chibi kind of thing going on, which isn't bad and I actually like it, but I don't think is the sort of style that leads to characters looking their age.

I don't know, this is how I'd draw Homen (for example) to look more like a teenager, but that's a different style altogether (and it probably could be better, if not for my dog not wanting to get off me).

On a related note, I played the demo and enjoyed it. It's nice to see more bullet hell games.
I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, sorry! I'm horrible at most everything I do and everything I've done today kind of proves that ^^' I'll be willing to change my style as much as you want! ^^ My anatomy is terrible and anyone you ask will tell you that! I'm not cut out to do anything but programming and I'm even questioning that lately ^^'

Your art is amazing 0.0 I wish I was that talented! You have no idea how much I envy you... Would you mind if I kept it as fanart? I'm sorry for bothering you and so very sorry that my art isn't up to par.

Thank you for your comment! Do you have any complaints on it? Anything that I can change? I'm willing to change whatever you want ^^ Do you have any suggestions pertaining to the rest of the project?

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

#90 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

One thing to consider when asking for fan input instead of doing what you want to do is that in the end, it's possible that no one will be satisfied.
A fictional example would be what happened in Bakuman, (I stopped reading it after a while) where the main characters wrote manga based on fan suggestions, and it was terrible. It may be fiction, but this also holds true in real life.

The thing is, everyone will want different things, and sometimes, what they say they want is not what they'll enjoy the most. A person can only go so far seeking satisfaction from something in which they define all the aspects. I've found that although I may ask for things a certain way, sometimes I find new things that I din't ask for that I also enjoy, and perhaps enjoy more. By trying new things, I develop new tastes and interests.

Basically, in a lot of cases, the correct mental response to fans is "You don't know what you need and want. Let me show you what you want." (I'll stress the "mental" part, because it'd be rude to actually say that to a fan :lol: )

That being said, that's not to say that suggestions shouldn't be considered. It's just to say that designing a game in your vision will likely result in a better game than just trying to cater to fans.

Hopefully this makes sense. I tend to write... strange things when it's this late. Especially if I'm a bit sick. :lol:
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.