Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Mink
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Say You Love Me (Short Version), C!P (NaNo12), Lady Misfortune, NatH, W/K, MtF, SMQ, TBM, TMHK, LoC, MMDG
Projects: Stuff
Organization: Metal Orphans

Re: Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

#91 Post by Mink »

Goddess Viridi wrote:I'm so, so, so, so, so, so, sorry! I'm horrible at most everything I do and everything I've done today kind of proves that ^^' I'll be willing to change my style as much as you want! ^^ My anatomy is terrible and anyone you ask will tell you that! I'm not cut out to do anything but programming and I'm even questioning that lately ^^'
Nah, I don't think you have to change it. I mean, look at Scott Pilgrim: pretty much no one looks their age, given the style of it. Only one guy does, and that's probably because he has a beard (I think it was Stephen Stills...or maybe it was someone else. Some guy with a beard. But, I digress). Really, it depends on what you think suits it. When I'm making something meant to be at least semi-serious (HA), then I try to go for something more realistic. If it's meant to be more light-hearted/cutesy/comedic (also HA), I'll probably draw more cartoonishly and simplistically.

Besides, art changes and improves. I can tell you that looking at old art is almost physically painful for me; however, the pain only means that I've gotten better. I wouldn't say for you to change your style, but draw from life. Trust me, you'll get better waaay faster that way.
Your art is amazing 0.0 I wish I was that talented! You have no idea how much I envy you... Would you mind if I kept it as fanart? I'm sorry for bothering you and so very sorry that my art isn't up to par.
Trust me, it'd look better traditionally; I'm still shaky using my tablet. And sure, though I could always draw you something better later. Also, you don't have to apologize for something like that; like I said, art gets better (trust me on this), and I don't think your art is even that bad. There's room for improvement, but that's true of any artist.
Thank you for your comment! Do you have any complaints on it? Anything that I can change? I'm willing to change whatever you want ^^ Do you have any suggestions pertaining to the rest of the project?
None, that I don't think haven't been mentioned (like Mneme's sprite doing something to show she's lost a life). Pretty much everything's been covered, I think.

Also:
redeyesblackpanda wrote:One thing to consider when asking for fan input instead of doing what you want to do is that in the end, it's possible that no one will be satisfied.
^This. While it's good to listen to input, trying to please everyone can't really work, because people's opinions can wildly vary. You have an interesting story and character designs, so I'd really like to see what you come up with without trying to make everyone happy.
"I will send a fully armed battalion to remind you of my love."

***Say You Love Me***Human Enough***Cheerful!Polymorph [NaNo12][Complete!]***
"Couldn't you stop this?"
"Probably, but I don't want to."

*Website, yo*

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#92 Post by HikkiPanda »

A lot of anime use puni plush style where EVERYONE lookS younger than their actual age

some example: Puella Magi Madoka Magica, Hidamari Sketch, GA - Geijutsuka Art Design Class, Yuru Yuri, Ichigo Mashimaro, K-On, Lucky Star

Lots of these are famous anime (especially Puella Magi Madoka Magica). If pros and giant studios from Japan are allowed to do that then there is no reason that you can't do the same thing :D
Last edited by HikkiPanda on Sun Jun 03, 2012 7:35 am, edited 3 times in total.

HikkiPanda
Veteran
Projects: Marchioness' Teacup

#93 Post by HikkiPanda »

Oooh, and check this Trading figures
Do you see those oversized and wiiiiiiiiiiiiiide heads? That style is what make Chan x Co populer (he/she is the designer of those trading figures). That guy/girl is often hired by big companies to design characters for figures, MMO and stuff .. they truly loves his/her wide head design!!

Zylinder
Veteran

#94 Post by Zylinder »

Goddess Viridi wrote:
Zylinder wrote:The site looks good, but perhaps a slightly darker background, as well as much darker font? As it is right now, it's very hard to see the words against the background. Squinting at it would hurt your viewers' eyes too, considering how bright it all is.
I think I fixed it? Please let me know if you want it darker! I'm very sorry for the strain I may have caused you... So sorry! Please tell me if there's anymore more I can do!
I think it looks fine now! Good job there! *U*

Goddess Viridi
Regular
Projects: Mnemosyne
Organization: MoeRoe

#95 Post by Goddess Viridi »

I'm sorry ^^' The quotes are a bit big to quote... I hope it's okay to respond like this? I'm sorry.... I'm just warning you that I'm making a very, very, very stupid move here and going out of my rightful boundaries. I didn't take any of your advice pertaining to my site... I'm very sorry and it will be changed as soon as I get the awful feedback I'm already expecting.

Please allow me to rant a little bit... The stress this conformity has caused me is killing me on the inside. I want to cry but I can't because that would be selfish and rude. I've said some awful things in the past two days to people and edit it quickly in hopes that they can't see it. I'm scared to reply in a way that would make me look defensive... I don't want to be that way. Like I said before, this game on this site isn't mine anymore. It's yours. There's something else I'd love to share but I can't at the moment... Please know that I will be getting a selfish benefit on my end no matter what you want and what you get from me and I feel awful about it. I'm sorry...

@redeyesblackpanda ~
I don't want to be the way that I'm feeling now... I feel horrible that I'm doing something without destroying what I love the most. I LOVED my original design for my site. I LOVE Mneme's new design. Others don't... and that means I have to change it. I'm sorry if this sounds stupid but I don't want people to think I'm a stubborn overreacting snob like I am now. It's not fair to them... People take the time to suggest something and I feel obligated to fix it... I don't know.

Quite honestly, I liked the faded out text among other things I will not specifically mention. I feel like it isn't even mine anymore... which is the main reason I made the dumb idiotic move and released my vision instead of theirs. It feel that the changes I made to please others made it worse... But I'll be sure to amend them as soon as I'm too afraid to speak my mind!

I'm planning to release a separate version of my game just for myself so I can feel like I actually did something that makes me happy without hurting anyone else ^^ I really appreciate everything you've done to help me! The server and domain are yours, though, and I don't feel privileged to be independent. Please forgive me for releasing my vision... I'm so sorry.

@Mink ~
I'm not sure... Maybe I should get someone to do it in a more realistic style? I suppose this is a conflict of interests between users '~' I've already changed my style once and I don't mind doing it again to suit everyone's interests but I've already gotten a fair amount of feedback on this new one... what do I do? Maybe include no graphics to settle the argument since there's no definite consensus? I'm getting what I want anyway so I'm fine with letting the "fans" get what they want ^^

But you're really amazing! I could only aspire to be like you...

I'll be sure to amend to the game as soon as I start coding for those parts again!

^^' I don't know how I'd feel about using my own ideas... I'd just be selfish and stubborn. I don't want that. It's bad enough that I'm about to do this...

@HikkiPanda ~
lol ^^' Those are done by professionals... they have every right to be creative because they already have an established fanbase and losing a few fans won't hurt them.

Those are so adorable! Gah! I want one! lol, but seriously, Chan x Co is already known for her distinct style and his/her followers expect that. I'm just starting out and I can't do anything great that would get a huge following here anyway^^' Other places that I will not name... Never mind ^^

@Zylinder ~

I'm sorry... You'll probably hate me for this.
________

Once again, I apologize deeply for this but I made a website out of the design that I loved. I'll just go die to sleep now. I know I'm digging myself deeper into being an unchanging snob but please understand that the version you will get based on your suggestions is different from something else I have planned. The one I have planned for something else has allowed complete freedom. I want to go into more details but I can't. I'm sorry.

Pertaining to the site, the "characters", "downloads", and "credits" page are disabled until I add them in. Everything else works.

Bye.

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#96 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Why are you trying so hard to do what other people 'like'? Just because people give their opinions on things doesn't mean you have to actually follow it, especially when it's something as subjective as art style (it's a little different when it's something more objective, like not being able to read a font). Everything is your decision to make. At the same time, if you don't stick up for your work and fight for what you like, you can't blame other people for that. They have their opinions, you have your's and you are doing the work, so YOU get to do whatever you want. It's impossible to make everyone happy, so why compromise your artistic integrity doing so? Do what you love and other people will love it too. And if not, then at least you enjoyed the process.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#97 Post by CheeryMoya »

[deleted]
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Wed Feb 20, 2013 12:35 am, edited 2 times in total.

Zylinder
Veteran

#98 Post by Zylinder »

Oh God, don't be silly, Viridi. It looks fine, now that the actual website is up. I'm not sure which palette this is (I assume it's the original, since you apologized?), but either way it looks really nice. The cursive writing for the headers makes it look really classy. And no, I'm not going to hate you - why would anyone do that? You should do whatever you like, however you like it. Our opinions are just what we think, but at the end of the day, it's what YOU think that matters - because it's your project, not ours. If you want to listen to naysayers, you'll never get anything done because I might be saying X, but the next person might hate X and love Y. I think you've said before that it's important to you that others like your game - but it's more important that YOU like your game too. Because what kind of game would it be if you just took our opinions and make it into a hodge-podge of a game? It's your visions that guide the game, so stand up straight girl! e_e

MaiMai
Yandere
Completed: [Phase Shift]
Projects: [ None ]
Organization: Paper Stars
Tumblr: maiscribbles
Deviantart: maiscribble

#99 Post by MaiMai »

Zylinder wrote: I think you've said before that it's important to you that others like your game - but it's more important that YOU like your game too. Because what kind of game would it be if you just took our opinions and make it into a hodge-podge of a game? It's your visions that guide the game, so stand up straight girl! e_e
Basically what everyone else said plus Zylinder's blurb here. Love and effort into your game and all its components is a pretty important thing. Everything said here is input to help, not to force you to change things. It wouldn't be YOUR game if you tried changing things to fit our preferences (way too many people to please). Take for instance the Silent Hill series. Very briefly, you can tell that the first three to four games were done quite lovingly with detail and rich lore. But lots of opinions (fan, industry, and gamemaking ones) made the later games decidedly lackluster.

That being said, keep doing what you're doing and get it done if you really want this. My opinion is that I'm intrigued by the art style used for this and the story and I hope this project will keep seeing the light and finish up.
Image COMMISSIONS AVAILABLE (check Tumblr sidebar)

michi 18
Veteran
Completed: none at the moment's notice
Projects: The Universal Hope;Wisdom Revival
Organization: Pridal Heavens Inc.

#100 Post by michi 18 »

when will be the release?
Projects: (I hope you'll support them ) Wisdom Revivalhttp://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 16&t=16488 and Universal Hope (Uni-H)http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 43&t=16452.

Goddess Viridi
Regular
Projects: Mnemosyne
Organization: MoeRoe

#101 Post by Goddess Viridi »

michi 18 wrote:when will be the release?
My deadline is October 1 but I would love to release sometime in September.

Katty16
Regular

#102 Post by Katty16 »

Love the art and the story is fine too
Looking forward to play this game, hope it will be finished in september
The faster the better :)

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#103 Post by Hijiri »

Katty16 wrote:The faster the better :)
Rushing things might make a game come out with game-breaking bugs, which is a serious issue for danmaku games. Personally, I would say to try and take it slow so that you can catch any bugs early on and test the game out heavily before release.
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Katty16
Regular

#104 Post by Katty16 »

That is true -.-