Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Goddess Viridi
Regular
Projects: Mnemosyne
Organization: MoeRoe

Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

#1 Post by Goddess Viridi »

<- Thank you so much redeyesblackpanda!

In the year 2033, Earth is a utopia and human memories exist as data in the Mnemosyne, a massive virtual network that dominates the lives of every being from man to animal. Happiness is priority and in order to maintain happiness, the concept of death has been completely eliminated.

Mneme is responsible for destroying memories deemed hazardous to the overall happiness of the people. Designed to be the only thing capable of interacting with the Mnemosyne, she is kept secluded from society and is only permitted to see her creators and program overseers. Despite this, she loves her job and dreams of the day she can live normally with the humans she has spent her entire life protecting.

Her wish is fulfilled when the human boy Pandom meets her by chance and takes her outside to experience the real world. When she comes to realize how complicated she has made life for everyone, she is faced with the choice of abandoning the work she has known all her life or joining a resistance to reclaim all memories and “free” the human race.

There are three possible routes with nine endings.

Homen is a boy that seemingly works at the institute. He visits Mneme on a daily basis and often reads and draws for her. He makes it clear that they cannot be friends but cares about her safety. Could he have other intentions for caring for Mneme?

The one that takes Mneme outside the Institute for the first time. He loves attention of any kind and seems to adore Mneme for her ignorance. Why is he so kind to her and what does he want anyway?
Progress:
(I am now focusing my effort on releasing a playable version of the first and second chapter)
Story - 100%
Script - 100%
CGs - 0/25
Sprites - 3/35
Backgrounds - 2/7
Music - 0/3

Goal for Week 20-27: Finish GUI
Last edited by Goddess Viridi on Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:16 am, edited 13 times in total.

Kizhusa

Re: Mnemosyne [GxB][Danmaku/VN; Sci-Fi, Romance]

#2 Post by Kizhusa »

Her hair looks so pretty like flower petals. I like your drawing style *u*

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#3 Post by azureXtwilight »

Oooh, the story sounds really interesting! I will definitely play this! Good luck for your progress!

Ginger
Regular

#4 Post by Ginger »

Wow. Just wow. Though I'm not entirely sure of what a Danmaku is, this looks absolutely fantastic. I'm a sucker for pretty things, and the first image is quite endearing to the eye. The premise-- though there have been a lot of sci-fi things going on lately on this forum, the utopian part of this is something quite new. And the word count-- Oh my! The idea though of a society where everyone is kept happy because electronics though really isn't quite as other-worldly as it would have been considered 10 or 20 years ago. I like also how close you do set it to the present, it installs almost a sense of anxiousness and curiosity to see how did things really change. What a beautiful menu screen too! I can't wait to see more of this project, so good luck!

distorsion
Regular
Projects: Proofreader for: Alice Hunt, Dragon Souls, Dragon's Blood, NACIRA, Saundersi: Level7

#5 Post by distorsion »

Happiness is priority and in order to maintain happiness, the concept of death has been completely eliminated.
How very "The Giver".
Interesting concept... I shall be playing this when it comes out.
Good luck! ^_^
Thank you for all your kindness!
Will proofread (grammar/typos) for hugs!

Amarrez
Regular
Projects: Memento Vivere

#6 Post by Amarrez »

Danmaku, huh? If you don't mind me asking, how challenging are you planning to make it? Because bullet hell games are kind of boring if they aren't at least easy mode Touhou hard.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by CheeryMoya »

[deleted]
Last edited by CheeryMoya on Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#8 Post by Hijiri »

Considering how Python isnt friends with too many objects, perhaps you should look into Danmakufu?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#9 Post by Goddess Viridi »

Kizhusa wrote:Her hair looks so pretty like flower petals. I like your drawing style *u*
Thank you so much! ^^ Mneme is probably the only character that will be done in such a style though... I wanted to set her out from the others so it's fairly obvious that she isn't human... although the other character I have planned from the demo isn't human as well. ^^ Thanks again ~
azureXtwilight wrote:Oooh, the story sounds really interesting! I will definitely play this! Good luck for your progress!
You have no idea how happy you just made me... you're like a god! I've been a fan of your Fanasia games for years now... They were the first hobby visual novels I ever played! Thank you so much ^^
Ginger wrote:Wow. Just wow. Though I'm not entirely sure of what a Danmaku is, this looks absolutely fantastic. I'm a sucker for pretty things, and the first image is quite endearing to the eye. The premise-- though there have been a lot of sci-fi things going on lately on this forum, the utopian part of this is something quite new. And the word count-- Oh my! The idea though of a society where everyone is kept happy because electronics though really isn't quite as other-worldly as it would have been considered 10 or 20 years ago. I like also how close you do set it to the present, it installs almost a sense of anxiousness and curiosity to see how did things really change. What a beautiful menu screen too! I can't wait to see more of this project, so good luck!
Thank you! A Danmaku has gameplay like Touhou where the character you control has to navigate through a maze of bullets flying at you and shoot the enemy at the same time ^^' lol, I have noticed quite a lot of newer sci-fi visual novels both on here and coming from bigger companies... it's my favorite genre so I'm okay with it! Once again, thank you so much! I really hope I can meet the deadline I set for the demo >,<
distorsion wrote:
Happiness is priority and in order to maintain happiness, the concept of death has been completely eliminated.
How very "The Giver".
Interesting concept... I shall be playing this when it comes out.
Good luck! ^_^
lol, now I need to get out my Kindle, download, and reread it >.< I haven't picked up that book in years! Thanks! I hope you'll be pleased with the demo!
Amarrez wrote:Danmaku, huh? If you don't mind me asking, how challenging are you planning to make it? Because bullet hell games are kind of boring if they aren't at least easy mode Touhou hard.
I was originally going to ask that question under my input area but I found a tutorial at the last minute that slows down the bullets and puts less on the screen at once (easy mode only allows 55 at once, medium to large sized). Luckily, making difficulties in Gamemaker isn't that hard at all ^^' Right now I only have easy and standard (which allows 285 bullets on screen at once). The only problem I'm encountering with easy mode (and this will probably affect any harder modes as well) is the story timing. Because I wanted to keep the flow of a visual novel going, the main character interacts with the enemy as the fight goes on. It runs on a timer and because easy mode reduces the time it takes to destroy the boss, a lot of story will be lost by going through the levels too fast. In turn, if the player spends too much time on the boss... there would probably be an awkward silence for the greater part of the battle... >,<

Thanks for the input! I love your icon, by the way. ^^
CheeryMoya wrote:I don't think Ren'Py is the ideal engine for a bullet-hell, though I know that you're experienced with Python. You'll have to program that in PyGame, so best of luck on that part to you.

Now this is what definitely sets you in the Work in Progress section O: With a completed script, it'd be a shame if this never saw the light of day. I suppose that you'll be your own artist, so if anything the only other people you'll need to recruit are proofreaders/editors and composers. You've gotten this far, and I'm sure you'll get this out soon :D

And you want feedback and criticism?
Story: I saw what you did there with Mneme, and I have to say it's pretty creative. The other two names didn't strike any bells though :/ I get the feeling that this is a distopian world, and that's the best part about it IMO. It's interesting to me, not for the assumed bishies-to-come, but for the world itself.
Art: It's unique and stylized for sure :D Just like everyone else, I have to say looking at your art style makes me feel fuzzy inside for some reason O: Keep it up!
Input Questions: Methinks that screen looks good already. The score wouldn't be a distraction at all, so keep it.
Disable the story? I wouldn't do such a thing, but maybe others come for the bullethell :/ You should give players the option to if it's not too much trouble though.

I wish I could say more, but the info you gave here is a teaser at best D: I'll be following you till the very end, so you gotta finish this!
[/quote]

Thanks for the input! I'm using Gamemaker for the programming... I can never get ren'py frameworks to work Y.Y I've tried renpygame and the rpg framework as experiments but I swear that program hates me! lol, concerning the names, think Greek myths all the way. Ah! I hope you'll be satisfied with the other sprites... Mneme is the only one drawn to look completely distinctive from the rest. And you were right on with the bishies <3 I can't wait until I finish the demo so I can start on their parts of the story! It's actually not a lot of work to disable anything in Gamemaker.... I found that out minutes before I made my initial post and immediately tried out different difficulties and skipping scenes and the like. The only problem I'm having is changing difficulties mid-game... At the moment it looks like the player is doomed if they start on normal but want to go to easy o vice-versa. ^^'

Thanks again for your input!

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#10 Post by Goddess Viridi »

Hijiri wrote:Considering how Python isnt friends with too many objects, perhaps you should look into Danmakufu?
I'm using Gamemaker ^^ I discovered that problem early on... with four bullets on the canvas ; p My computer froze before I realized what happened... The ren'pygame framework worked with even less satisfactory results... So I decided to relearn GML and built it there. I'm actually glad that I did make the move to Gamemaker... the ability to create multiple difficulties and the like is very simple and GML is very similar to python. Thanks for the input ^^

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#11 Post by Goddess Viridi »

CG + Sprite sheet for first level boss:

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#12 Post by Hijiri »

Oh God, that is cute. Almost makes me feel bad for shooting at her.....not. >+)
How difficult will the game be? CAVE-Impossible or eXceed easy?
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#13 Post by Goddess Viridi »

Hijiri wrote:Oh God, that is cute. Almost makes me feel bad for shooting at her.....not. >+)
How difficult will the game be? CAVE-Impossible or eXceed easy?
Haha, thank you! ^^ Just wait until you hear her voice ~

lol... I wonder if it's a bad thing that I found the first eXceed hard? ^^' I guess my main issue with the first one (I never played the others in the series) was how large the hit box is compared to the bullets... And CAVE games... let's not go there ^^' The easiest level is too hard for me but I haven't played too many of their games >.>

I wish I could show a screenshot of normal mode's difficulty (I wanted to have that done tonight) but I messed up the coding while working on one of the last bullet types... Gamemaker requires each item to have its own set of variables which are completely separated from each other and naming one variable the same (or even close to the same: Obj_bullet_one is equal to Obj_bullets_one for some reason), despite the fact that they are in no way close to each other, messes up the entire program. I gave up and decided to work on character art but tomorrow I'll just go through and rename items to see where the problem is. Y.Y

... Anyway ^^' ..The demo will only have three versions but if I get feedback that it's too easy or too hard I might add more difficulties. I'm not the best bullet-hell gamer but I was able to clear my normal level in 11 minutes taking one hit (normal mode gives you two chances to be hit). I changed the stats a bit so the level allows 370 bullets on screen at a time (of the smallest kind). From what I've tested, though, Gamemaker seems be able to support around 900 small bullets on screen at once before it starts lagging.

But I'll see how people react to the demo before making any major changes. I'll try to get a screenshot of how normal mode looks tomorrow! ~ (If I don't get so frustrated that I throw my computer out the window while debugging >.>)

teacup
Holder of Tasty Drinks
Completed: (P)lanets - the life of normalcy has ended
Projects: Circum[N]avigate

#14 Post by teacup »

It looks like your art was painted with watercolors; it's gorgeous! :)
And wow, props to you for completing such a long script. That's definitely something to be proud of. I've always been intrigued by stories about utopia as well - sci fi is one of my favorite genres. ^-^
I don't know anything about danmaku, but it'll certainly be interesting to try out something new :3 Best of luck!

Goddess Viridi
Regular

#15 Post by Goddess Viridi »

teacup wrote:It looks like your art was painted with watercolors; it's gorgeous! :)
And wow, props to you for completing such a long script. That's definitely something to be proud of. I've always been intrigued by stories about utopia as well - sci fi is one of my favorite genres. ^-^
I don't know anything about danmaku, but it'll certainly be interesting to try out something new :3 Best of luck!
I'm so honored! Your art is amazing and I've been a huge fun of your (P)lanets game for a long time now! You're one of my greatest inspirations when it comes to script writing... the character development in (P)lanets was amazing and I could only hope to ever get to such a level with my amateur writing >,<

I'm hoping that the full game will feature an option where the player can choose if they want the full game, visual novel parts only, or danmaku parts only.

Thank you so much! ^^