Coming Out On Top (BXB, Dating) - Updated July 2012

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Coming Out On Top

Re: Coming Out On Top (BXB, Dating, Comedy, Demo)

#31 Post by Obscura »

Polishing up expressions. Screentest!
screenshot0011.png
Coming Out On Top - An Adult Gay Dating Sim
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#32 Post by Obscura »

Lumen_Astrum wrote:I can always use a good laugh. :)
Buuut, gosh, no nudity please. I'm still a young kid! XD

Lol, being serious, I didn't see there was a demo. Downloading =w=
Hee, hope you like it, Lumen. All that art has been revamped...hope it doesn't make your eyes bleed. :oops:
website

Hayzel
Veteran
Projects: Echo: Legend of the Centennial Bells, The Making of a Visual Novel, MLPFIM: The Flower Blooming Festival

#33 Post by Hayzel »

Obscura wrote:Aw, thanks Hayzel! So happy you liked it. That makes me feel all warm and fuzzy inside!

I'm pretty much swamped with the game right now (I pretty much just sleep, eat, go to work, develop my game, and hang out on the forums...and that is totally it.) So Skype will be put on the backburner, but thank you!!! XOXO
But having a messenger is good for development lwl. It's nice to have people to help you at an immediate point in time. I'd be lost if Hiji wasn't on Skype ;w;

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#34 Post by Nuxill »

I know I haven't posted much in the thread even though I'm working on the game (at least with the gui!) :oops: I feel like I should at least say something beyond my initial comment. I'm still excited for the game to come out because I haven't seen any of the script beyond what's in the demo so I haven't been spoiled yet.

I think it might be a good idea to update the images in the op to show how development is going along, or at least show off how much nicer the new sprites look in comparison to the original versions.

Also I actually introduced my mom to the concept of visual novels yesterday while showing her the work I've done for the game, and now she wants to play it when it comes out! :P

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#35 Post by Obscura »

Nuxill wrote:I know I haven't posted much in the thread even though I'm working on the game (at least with the gui!) :oops: I feel like I should at least say something beyond my initial comment. I'm still excited for the game to come out because I haven't seen any of the script beyond what's in the demo so I haven't been spoiled yet.

I think it might be a good idea to update the images in the op to show how development is going along, or at least show off how much nicer the new sprites look in comparison to the original versions.

Also I actually introduced my mom to the concept of visual novels yesterday while showing her the work I've done for the game, and now she wants to play it when it comes out! :P
Nuxill...your gui is what will make this game look about a million times more pro. :D
Thanks for the suggestion, I'll change the op tomorrow. It's 4am here, I've been writing and freaking out over a sprite problem (thankfully mostly fixed!!!) and I should probably turn in.

Also, your mom?!? OMG that's the awesomest thing ever. :lol: We're probably around the same age. :lol: I feel like I should turn up the raunchiness just for her...I think she'd appreciate it. (But for now this is rated PG.)
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

Re: Coming Out On Top (BXB, Dating) - Updated June 2012

#36 Post by Obscura »

Another update as my July deadline approaches! The game's characters will have 33 expressions apiece. I kind of went nuts on expressions...and made a flip book and everything to try to sort them out. Ultimately it came 1 "default" expression, plus 8 additional categories (like anger, shock, skeptical, etc.), with 4 levels of intensity for each category. Never predicted I'd have this many, but I figure, hey, visual novel? Emphasis on the visual, no? (Chews lip.)

Expression that didn't quite make it through quality control:
rejectpile.png
rejectpile.png (99.92 KiB) Viewed 1796 times
Final stage of writing: 33% done
Art: 85% done

Really pleased with Nuxill's work on the game thus far!
website

taxiforhire

#37 Post by taxiforhire »

I just wanted to drop in and say that I played the demo and it looks awesome. I really like the non-traditional art style, and the writing is really fantastic, too. This looks like it'll shape up to be a really delightful game. Keep up the good work!

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#38 Post by Obscura »

Thank you for your kind words, taxiforhire!
website

RVB
Regular
Organization: Brat Prince Productions
Deviantart: aambrosio

#39 Post by RVB »

Wow, this is really starting to look great! I wish I had the courage to use (I'm assuming) Ren'Py like you do. I'm a pansy and doing my first game in Novelty... ;;

Is the deadline for the release still on the 1st of July?

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#40 Post by Obscura »

RVB, yes it's still July 1st...though still crossing my fingers. Thanks for your comment! I'm totally confident you could make a game in RenPy. Make something short and sweet (like a five minute game with two choices) and I think you'd be surprised how learnable it is.
website

AriannaSterling
Projects: Elegy

#41 Post by AriannaSterling »

Definitely going to play this! Since the release is so close, I think I'll avoid making friends with the demo and just wait through the full game :)

Nuxill
Veteran
Projects: No Friend
Tumblr: nuxill
itch: nuxill

#42 Post by Nuxill »

Hopefully the final release isn't resting on my shoulders! :lol: I'll have an updated version of the layout some time during the week. I've just been busy due to my internship.

I like that you're making levels of intensity for the emotions. I've never seen anyone on the forums approach it that way.

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#43 Post by Obscura »

@ arianna - Thank you so much for your interest! :mrgreen: Yeah, the artwork and dialogue is completely revamped, so you've got the right idea by waiting!

@ nuxill - I've got my hands full until the end of the month, so no worries! 8)
I think the multitude of expressions has more to do with me being indecisive more than anything else, but thanks! :lol:
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#44 Post by Obscura »

*sigh*

Hoping to make the July 1st release date, but as the deadline approaches, the more I realize this may be unrealistic.

I'm still rewriting, and lots of artwork still needs to be tweaked.

Once all of that's done, the game needs a good run through not only by me, but by at least another beta tester or two. I'm estimated another week or two of testing and polishing...so the deadline's looking closer to mid-July.

The good news is that the characters are now more fleshed out, the plot has better flow, and hopefully the different endings will be more satisfying, no matter which path you take. And the additional week (or two?!?) will hopefully eliminate any chances of game breaking bugs and give the whole thing a nice polish.

I really don't have a set deadline as of yet, but basically I'm holding off on washing my dogs (an all-day affair) until I finish this thing. Thus we have added motivation for completing the game. (Not that the dogs are complaining...if it were up to them I could tack on an additional decade, or two, to my deadline.)
website

Obscura
Eileen-Class Veteran

#45 Post by Obscura »

Updated bios at the top of the thread.

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... 81#p191981
website