Icebound [BxG][Steampunk Fantasy/Mystery][Finished]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran
Completed: Icebound, Selenon Rising Ep. 1-2
Projects: Selenon Rising Ep. 3-4
Organization: Fastermind Games
Deviantart: sundownkid

Icebound [BxG][Steampunk Fantasy/Mystery][Finished]

#1 Post by SundownKid »

A fantasy/mystery visual novel set in an ice age!
Follow us on Twitter at @vnwriter!
Summary:

Icebound is a dark fantasy visual novel that takes place in a world locked in the depths of an ice age. It features high quality artwork, a non-linear plot with multiple endings and puzzle game elements in the form of a portable alchemy kit.

On the world of Permia, two races – human and feran – have forged a way of life revolving around alchemy, the ability to manipulate the forces of nature. In the north resides the Holy Empire, whose machinery and society both run like clockwork, and in the south, the Council, a powerful alliance of tribes who have mastered the spiritual arts.

A wandering alchemist named Dougal winds up in the isolated town of Isenbarr with his Familiar, Isaac, hoping to find a job and earn some spending money. What he doesn’t expect to encounter is a challenge for one of alchemy's rarest treasures. But with a comely secret agent finding the whole thing suspect, he must deal with a clockwork beast, a priestess with mysterious powers, a mad genius, and a group of eccentric alchemists to find out the truth about the Philosopher's Stone.

Synopsis:

Icebound is a dark fantasy/mystery visual novel in which the main character, Dougal, enters a competition with other alchemists to gain the powerful Philosopher's Stone from a mad genius named Megistus, as a reward for saving an isolated town from a dangerous monster. It features puzzles in the form of an alchemy kit and romance options with Lamia, a mysterious Imperial agent.

Game Features

* Steampunk fantasy genre
* 6-10 hours in length
* Price: $14.99
* Puzzle gameplay
* Action, mystery and romance

Released April 3, 2014
Last edited by SundownKid on Thu Apr 03, 2014 7:50 pm, edited 61 times in total.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

Re: Icebound [Dark Fantasy/Mystery] [Commercial]

#2 Post by gekiganwing »

I read your synopsis, and I'm trying to understand your plot. It sounds like Dougal is searching for treasure, that the isolated town might have a monster nearby, and that there will be some secrets to uncover. I'm not sure what might happen from that point forward. What goals does the main character have? Does he have any political alliances?

How powerful are alchemists in your world? What factors keep them in check? Are they regulated by governments?

It sounds like the feran race suffers from fantastic racism. If is this true, then what will it mean for your story?

Maybe it's just me, but the name Zoltan makes me think of RPGamer/RPGCast contributor The Legendary Zoltan...

Looking at your webpage, it looks like you have used RPG Maker XP to make a freeware (?) game called The Caldwell Incident, and you're trying to rework a game called Minion's Story. Do you have experience selling games? Are you currently working with other indie developers who are selling their games?

It may not be easy to sell people on a story which is mostly dark fantasy plot, with no combat or romance options. If you haven't done so already, think about how you intend to sell your game, and who will be willing to purchase your game.

Finally, I believe you'll benefit by talking to the people at Moacube, who are creating an indie western visual novel called Cinders. As far as I recall, Cinders is still being developed.

DaFool
Lemma-Class Veteran

#3 Post by DaFool »

@gekiganwing

They seem to know what they're doing. This is sorta steampunk so its right up my alley, so at least they have one guaranteed customer in me. (Though of course, having some HUMAN girl characters would really cement the deal) IMO, the demographics of Cinders and Icebound are slightly different.

This is imho what stories like Hierophania, Winter Shard, The Thirteenth Year would look like if funded with better art.

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

#4 Post by papillon »

Interesting. Nice to see some different styles and ideas.

WIll the player be able to do any sort of alchemy in the game? Like a crafting minigame maybe?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by SundownKid »

gekiganwing wrote:I read your synopsis, and I'm trying to understand your plot. It sounds like Dougal is searching for treasure, that the isolated town might have a monster nearby, and that there will be some secrets to uncover. I'm not sure what might happen from that point forward. What goals does the main character have? Does he have any political alliances?
He basically treats alchemy as a job and the one in the town seems to be the only one he can find in the area before he's forced to travel somewhere else. Knowing that he can't succeed on his own, and that none of the alchemists would bother helping each other, he decides to ally himself with one of them to increase their chances of success. Dougal's a neutral character without any real alliances - though he does dislike the Empire, he doesn't feel that the Council's isolationist policies make them much better.
gekiganwing wrote: How powerful are alchemists in your world? What factors keep them in check? Are they regulated by governments?
Alchemists' abilities don't make them ridiculously stronger than normal people except in isolated cases. Their abilities are more limited than typical "magic", and they need to mix actual materials to "do" anything. Their strength varies widely from person to person. Ferans do not regulate alchemists, but the Empire does... strictly.
gekiganwing wrote: It sounds like the feran race suffers from fantastic racism. If is this true, then what will it mean for your story?
It's true, but I don't want that aspect to become grating. Those who aren't high-class imperials or are on the front lines are more ambivalent about ferans, and ferans tend to keep to themselves anyway. It's more of a culture clash conflict than a race motivated one - though they are discriminated against by humans in many places, the same thing happens when humans enter feran territory.
gekiganwing wrote: Maybe it's just me, but the name Zoltan makes me think of RPGamer/RPGCast contributor The Legendary Zoltan...
The name was completely random, so yeah. I like it, so I'm probably not going to change it unless it's absolutely necessary.
gekiganwing wrote: Looking at your webpage, it looks like you have used RPG Maker XP to make a freeware (?) game called The Caldwell Incident, and you're trying to rework a game called Minion's Story. Do you have experience selling games? Are you currently working with other indie developers who are selling their games?
The other games I've made have all been freeware... but I do know a few indie developers who are selling their games. I should probably get rid of Minion's Story lest people get their hopes up, lol.
gekiganwing wrote: It may not be easy to sell people on a story which is mostly dark fantasy plot, with no combat or romance options. If you haven't done so already, think about how you intend to sell your game, and who will be willing to purchase your game.

Finally, I believe you'll benefit by talking to the people at Moacube, who are creating an indie western visual novel called Cinders. As far as I recall, Cinders is still being developed.
True, romance might increase the audience, but I wanted to make something different - most visual novels are romance based. Combat wouldn't make sense in the game, but I am looking into including puzzles related to alchemy which would extend the audience into video game fans.
DaFool wrote:@gekiganwing

They seem to know what they're doing. This is sorta steampunk so its right up my alley, so at least they have one guaranteed customer in me. (Though of course, having some HUMAN girl characters would really cement the deal) IMO, the demographics of Cinders and Icebound are slightly different.

This is imho what stories like Hierophania, Winter Shard, The Thirteenth Year would look like if funded with better art.
There are a number of human female characters, just not in the alchemist selection. But believe me, they are there.. :lol:
I could have gone the easy route and added a female alchemist right off the bat, but then it would take attention away from the others. And if I made them all female, well... that would be going a bit too far in the ren'ai direction, which is something I wanted to avoid, at least for this game.

applegirl
Veteran

#6 Post by applegirl »

Oh, dark fantasy? I'm interested already (and intrigued by the puzzle idea). Glad to see you're not shoehorning romance into the plot--there is nothing worse than a "romantic" story that has a forced/poor romance. Totally takes away from the VN and there are VNs that have a strong enough story that don't require the romance at all. Will there be a demo?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by SundownKid »

We are planning on releasing a demo in a couple weeks. It might take longer than that to get all the voice acting in, though. And that's assuming we don't get delayed again... but maybe more screenshots will be put up later on.

The game is not completely absent of romance, but it takes a more tangential role. Dougal definitely doesn't date anyone during the course of the story. heh.

Any puzzles would just be made in pygame using the Ren'py game addon, so if anyone knows how to program Python, we want you!

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by SundownKid »

Work in progress of the alchemy kit...

This is where the minigame comes in!

How did Dougal acquire said kit, you ask? Well, it came with the cloak.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by SundownKid »

Updated with new character pic (Heather the priestess).

dongaro

#10 Post by dongaro »

This looks kind of interesting. How long do you plan it to be ie word count? Word count is a poor way of figuring out a novels length but I've always liked it for ball parking. But it does sound interesting. Also is there romance involved in some of the endings? I always liked Ever 17 because only2-3 ,depending on who you looked at it, were romance endings. At least one was simply platonic friendship, and one was an answer arc.

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by SundownKid »

dongaro wrote:This looks kind of interesting. How long do you plan it to be ie word count? Word count is a poor way of figuring out a novels length but I've always liked it for ball parking. But it does sound interesting. Also is there romance involved in some of the endings? I always liked Ever 17 because only2-3 ,depending on who you looked at it, were romance endings. At least one was simply platonic friendship, and one was an answer arc.
That's definitely a possibility, though I was thinking of having one type of ending and changing it depending on what you "do" in the story (versus having multiple branching paths). It would still be multiple endings, technically, one might have more romance than another.

The word count will probably be around 50,000 words. Some of it will be menus so it will be slightly shorter than that in practice, but there will be "decisions" versus "branching paths".

Also, updated with other new character (Lamia).

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#12 Post by SundownKid »

Here's a test of the new menu system... I was going for smoothness this time, as well as full animation.
Maybe it could stand to be a bit less abstract, but some sort of metallic machine-style menu would take up an insane amount of time to make it work.

Link

We're also changing the art style to lineart since it's a lot faster to draw. The characters will all be revamped with the same design.

The puzzle minigame programmed by Sciencewarrior is also largely working now, and pretty fun.

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#13 Post by Anna »

Someone told me about this and I just now found it here~

Anyway, I just wanted to say that everything looks really polished so far and that I'm excited to see a title with this kind of theme and genre! I'm really looking forward to this already, good luck!

There's just one tiny thing which caught my attention;
A wandering alchemist named Dougal travels to an isolated town with his Familiar, Isaac, following rumors of a vast reward given to those who can accomplish the request of a mysterious figure. How far is he willing to go to discover the truth...?
The truth about what? It makes sense for me until the last sentence, because that's not entirely clear. Did I miss something :)?

SundownKid
Lemma-Class Veteran

#14 Post by SundownKid »

You're right, that doesn't make much sense. I edited the OP to make it more clear.

A tidbit of info: the reason there are gears everywhere is because the setting is clockpunk, basically, most machinery that is not steam powered is based off of clockwork.

ludeshka
Veteran
Completed: Hierofanía / Next Door Taker/Rhyme or Reason /Hierofanía 2
Projects: Hierofanía 3 (I swear it's the last one)
Tumblr: sillyraccoonknight
Deviantart: ludeshka
itch: ludeshka

#15 Post by ludeshka »

The art is really awesome.
This sounds like it could be a great game. Best of luck with it.

(also: Sundown Kid!!! It was my favourite story in Live a Live :D )