Escaping the Dark [Kinetic - But Customizeable!]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more
Projects: Fateful Encounter, Operation: Magic Hero
Organization: Tofu Sheets Visual
Deviantart: kokoro-hane
itch: tofu-sheets-visual

Escaping the Dark [Kinetic - But Customizeable!]

#1 Post by Kokoro Hane »

NOTE; if anyone is interested, when the time comes I will be needing a couple anime CG Artists willing to make 10 character portraits (5 male, 5 female) and/or 10 - 15 event CGs. I *might* even needs some exclusive art for the opening movie. This would be free work, as it's a free game, but you will be credited and it's another thing to add to your resume. PM me for details~

Hello!

Yes, I come here with another WIP. This is a little VN I am starting that I will be working on and off, whenever I run out of steam for my current project, Operation: Magic Hero. I feel having a side project helps the creative juices keep flowing, so whenever I hit a block with OMH, I go to this, and then it's easier to go back to my main project.

This VN I do not intend to be very long, so if all goes well, the writing process will be done in less than a month, if I can manage~ Since OMH is my main focus at this moment, that is top priority to get finished.

So, what is the story?
This is based in a fantasy world I call Assara. It's a universe I have been developing for a long time, that first began as a roleplaying forum. When I came up with it at first, I loved it so much, I wanted to make it into a novel, and then....it turned into a series. Later, the world just EXPLODED! Not only do I have the ancient era, where it's all fantasy and stuff, but I ended up inventing the post-apocalyptic era, what happens thousands of years later when they have technology and stuff, so it has some sci-fi element to it, but still fantasy-ish due to the different races.

This VN will be based in the post-apocalyptic version of Assara. Backstory? Okay, I will try to give it to you in a nutshell. There were these mad scientists who thought they could create a being, so they utilized different DNA traits from the other races to form this.....new kind of being (there were no actual test subjects; basically, they kidnapped victims, took blood samples, and let them go, so no one got experimented on or mutated). Well, this experiment failed, and they ended up creating these hideous monsters......that escaped. These being bred, and ravaged the world of Assara. The remaining population established 70 cities known as the Refuge Districts all across the world.

The story for this VN.....
You (Ashton) are a Demon Hunter of the District Headquarters. Your hunting partner's name is Hana. You are given a mission by one of your higher ups, Sayuri Sakamoto, to investigate a Settlement (these are towns that are not part of the District system, and there are a few of them scattered throughout Assara). While there, in this eerie place, Hana tells you a story of her earlier days as a DHQ Demon Hunter....including her experience and gathered information of the horrors that went on in District 27. (You will learn about that as she tells the story).

If it's Kinetic, how is it customizeable?
Well, this is a little experiment I am trying! At the beginning of the game, you will be able to select your character's gender (this will slightly effect the story). You also get to choose what VOICE your character has (I'm thinking about 3 variations at the moment). And, you also get to choose what your character will look like (I am thinking of maybe 5 different portraits at the moment).

Planned features;
- An opening sequence.
- Voiced dialogue.
- Selectable gender.
- Selectable voice and look for main.
- No less than 10, no more than 15 CGs.

Is there progress on this?
YES! I already started writing some of it today. Once the script is 100% done, then I will be contacting my voice team.

CURRENT LINT;
The game contains 53 screens of dialogue.
These screens contain a total of 470 words,
for an average of 8.9 words per screen.
The game contains 1 menus.

CHARACTERS~

Ashton (will be male or female, depending on player selection)
A demon hunter of the District Headquarters, hailing from RD47. Originally, Ashton was from the underground region of Lantern Cove, which was the last remaining region untouched by the "demons" for a long time, even after all 70 Districts were established. However, at the age of 10, Ashton witnessed his/her family be torn to pieces, and the once glorious city ablaze. Ashton is an excellent fighter. He/She can be a bit easily irritated (mainly by Hana), and can be very impatient at times.

Hana (tsuine sprite...yes, I know I use her in NekoCon! also, I might reference this VN in that game)
Ashton's partner. She's quite the cheery person, but isn't afraid to express her thoughts passionately. She may have not been there, but she still witnessed the horrors of RD27 when she and her team were sent to investigate.

Officer Jason Mercedes
A commanding officer of the elite hunting teams of the DHQ, Jason once oversaw the team Hana was in years back.

Andrea Parker
An elite Demon Hunter, and close friend top Jason Mercedes. Back in her home district, she and Jason were hunting partners.

Sayuri Sakamoto
One of the many higher-ups, people in charge of the DHQ. For the most part, she's in charge of the briefings, and handing out missions to the hunters.

(more soon.....)

REFERENCED CHARACTERS~

Daisuke Sadagawa

Pamala Sadagawa

Aiko Shizuku

Aiya Shizuku

Austin Erics

Tomiichi Yamada

Kokoro Arisawa

(descriptions coming soon.....)
PROJECTS:
Operation: Magic Hero [WiP]
Piece By Piece [COMPLETE][Spooktober VN '20]
RE/COUNT RE:VERSE [COMPLETE][RPG]
Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?! [COMPLETE][NaNoRenO2020+]
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

But dear God, You're the only North Star I would follow this far
Owl City "Galaxies"

Ran08
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: https://ran.itch.io/
Projects: Fate's Cafe
Tumblr: otometwist
itch: ran

Re: Escaping the Dark [Kinetic - But Customizeable!]

#2 Post by Ran08 »

Seems interesting. :D Although I think it would be better if you'd get a partner of the opposite gender to the one you chose. :D Although that would be harder I guess...

Still, I'm looking forward to this. :)

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: 30 Kilowatt Hours Left, The Only One Girl { First Quarter }, An Encounter ~In The Rain~, A Piece of Sweetness, Since When Did I Have a Combat Butler?!, Piece by Piece, +many more

#3 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Glad to see some interest ^.^

I just wanted to experiment a bit~ I already know how I kind of want it to play out, and being Kinetic, it shouldn't be very hard to work on.
PROJECTS:
Crystal Captor: Memory Chronicle Finale [COMPLETE][RPG][#1 in So Bad It's Good jam '17]

Owl City "Galaxies"

EroBotan
Veteran

#4 Post by EroBotan »

I like the story so far :D! Hope you get good artists for your game so you can finish the game fast and I can play the game right away X3 !!! (I said game three times in one sentence D: !!)

Hana's so pretty, I don't mind is she is from another VN lol !

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#5 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Haha, you seem excited to play! Yeah, I am hoping to get some good artists. There are some sprites I may have to have made. For the referenced characters, they can basically be just in CGs images. Hopefully I can get some artists aboard!

Ah yes, Hana is pretty! That sprite by tsuine is one of my favorites to use!
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"

EroBotan
Veteran

#6 Post by EroBotan »

I really hope Tsuine can help you again on this one, i kinda like her style ^^

or at least other people with similar style ^^

Kokoro Hane
Eileen-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Kokoro Hane »

Actually, this sprite by Tsuine is a free-to-use sprite, and has been in a few Ren'Py projects I have seen. But yeah, I like her style, too.
PROJECTS:

Owl City "Galaxies"