Undead Chronicles [BxG] [Horror] [Zombie Apocalypse]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Yakkety
Regular
Projects: Undead Chronicles

Undead Chronicles [BxG] [Horror] [Zombie Apocalypse]

#1 Post by Yakkety »

Foreword...
Hi dudes, for a while now I have been trying to make my own VN, yes this is my first one, and so far, so good, I have never seen a VN in this style before, ye know, in a zombie apocalypse setting, and well, this could get interesting ;)
Summary
Undead Chronicles is a Visual Novel in development. Made by only 1 guy (that's me, Yakkety), UC is set place in the present day in the fictional city of Karadam. The world is hit by the zombie apocalypse, a virus by the name of AtraMortis, also referred to as the ''Black Death'' virus has gone epidemic, you are the protagonist of the story, Akihoshi Yakumo, trying to survive in these dark times of mankind.

Often called Yak or Yakkeh by your close friends Meiya, Toshiro and Yuji, you now life in a massive mall called Fort New-Karadam, alongside hundreds of other survivors, most of them aren't fighters, just a handful of people are ''DeadZone Rangers'', these DeadZone Rangers are the soldiers against the living dead, people who have no combat experience and are just trying to rebuild their lives in these dark days are called ''DeadZone Civilians''. In your journey to survival you will meet friends, enemies (both undead AND alive humans), and you will find love (if you choose the right path, that is...)

The government initialized a DeadZone treaty on the entire planet, meaning that areas outside of safe havens are considered a, well, deadzone. There are few safe havens, of which Fort New-Karadam is one of them, the RBF (Royal Battle Force) was forged when the outbreak was starting to spread, they were to maintain law and order, to prevent more infections, but that didn't help, the virus spread like a fire from city to city, soon enough from country to country. The RBF initiated a ''Level Survivors'' categorization for DeadZone Rangers, for example, a ''Level 1 Survivalist'' is a rookie in survival, who has had very, VERY few experiences in combat, whilst a ''Level 5 Survivalist'' has exponential experiences in combat and all round survival, with thousands of confirmed undead kills. The highest rank you can get is the ''DeadZone Legend'' status, which you receive when you reach Level 10 Survivalist. This system has no real use, it is just to show people how experienced (or dangerous) one another is.

Yakumo does not care about this system, all he wants is peace for his friends and little brother. He is already called ''The people's hero'' for his outstanding actions, such as looting for supplies for the Fort, helping and rescuing strangers, and caring for the people. He is not a self-centered ego-maniac who only thinks about killing, he shows love and compassion for his fellow man, and no DeadZone Survivalist system can tell him otherwise.

There are 4 (or 5 >.>) paths you can choose from, 3 paths are the girl routes and they all will have their own multiple endings, mostly bad endings because well, it's a zombie apocalypse game, you cant always safe your beloved ones with the choices you make ;P
The last one (or 2 >.> hey you never know...) are for the route where you don't choose a girl, but if I go into more details about this, then I'd spoil the game, or even future sequels :P
Characters

Euhm, that's not all, there's still a shitload of other characters that I need to finish, these one's are the completed ones...

Progress
Story: 80% complete for the demo...
Scripting: 30% complete for the demo...
Characters: 40%
CG: 2% (Oh there will be a shitload of CG's, at least, I hope so...)
Backgrounds: 10%
Music: 25%
Interface: 0%
Information
Here's my blog which I will keep updated from time to time: http://yakkety-undeadchronicles.blogspot.com/

So yeah, this is Undead Chronicles, but I have more plans for the future, this game will be the story of Yakumo, but I already have ideas for sequels and prequels, how's about Undead Chronicles; Dark Days Rising? That game will be a prequel, telling the story through the eyes of a yet to be named scientist who had major influences in the zombie outbreak... I also have ideas for a sequel which I will not go in further details about, I don't want to spoil stuff ;3

The game is 16+ because of gore and violence, and bad language, I don't know it for sure yet but it will most likely also be 18+ if I decide to throw in some ''event scenes'' in it, and then I'll ask one of the mods to move this thread to the Hentai games forum, but for now, it's sex-free...

What I'm aiming at is about 100-300k words for the game, and the demo should contain about 15k words...

So guys, what ye think...? Good idea, bad idea, love it, hate it, sounds appealing, or not...?
Last edited by Yakkety on Sun Jun 24, 2012 8:09 am, edited 2 times in total.

eternalwishess
Regular

Re: Undead Chronicles [BxG] [Horror] [Zombie Apocalypse]

#2 Post by eternalwishess »

Oooo, I've always been a fan of zombies. :D Hopefully, there will be a lot of survival events in which teamwork will be involved. I like how you input each character's outlook on the apocalypse, it makes the event occurring feel more realistic. This idea must've taken you a while to think and piece together.
Out of curiosity...are you planning to make sprite sheets for the zombies...? Or are you just going to describe them throughout the VN with words?
Call me αίкσ, hehe. C:

Yakkety
Regular

#3 Post by Yakkety »

eternalwishess wrote:Oooo, I've always been a fan of zombies. :D Hopefully, there will be a lot of survival events in which teamwork will be involved. I like how you input each character's outlook on the apocalypse, it makes the event occurring feel more realistic. This idea must've taken you a while to think and piece together.
Out of curiosity...are you planning to make sprite sheets for the zombies...? Or are you just going to describe them throughout the VN with words?
It didn't take me too long to come up with this idea, in fact, I came up with this idea through my dreams, because I like to (day)dream about potential reallife zombie outbreaks, so I put some elements from my dreams in Undead Chronicles, yes UC will be totally realistic, you won't suddenly encounter things such as immortal characters or aliens and such... The protagonist and Toshirou are immune to the virus, however, they can still die from zombie bites and infections, think about blood loss...

Every character in the game has their own experiences with survival, some have lots of experience, other's have none and must rely on DeadZone Rangers to stay alive...

Yep, I am indeed going to make sprites for the zombies too, although I have no real idea how I'm going to do it yet, since I'm planning to put most of the zombies in CG's... BUT I can assure you, there will be zombie sprites too ;)

eternalwishess
Regular

#4 Post by eternalwishess »

Yakkety wrote:It didn't take me too long to come up with this idea, in fact, I came up with this idea through my dreams, because I like to (day)dream about potential reallife zombie outbreaks, so I put some elements from my dreams in Undead Chronicles, yes UC will be totally realistic, you won't suddenly encounter things such as immortal characters or aliens and such... The protagonist and Toshirou are immune to the virus, however, they can still die from zombie bites and infections, think about blood loss...

Every character in the game has their own experiences with survival, some have lots of experience, other's have none and must rely on DeadZone Rangers to stay alive...

Yep, I am indeed going to make sprites for the zombies too, although I have no real idea how I'm going to do it yet, since I'm planning to put most of the zombies in CG's... BUT I can assure you, there will be zombie sprites too ;)
Ahahaha, just a few months back, I used to daydream about them all the time. I even thought about making a visual novel that had to do with zombies. Unfortunately, my zombie phase is over for now and I have moved on to obsessing over other things.

Are you planning to tell the story of every character's experience with survival, or is the story strictly limited to the protagonist's POV?
Also, is there an explanation as to why only the protagonist and Toshirou are immune to the virus?
Call me αίкσ, hehe. C:

Yakkety
Regular

#5 Post by Yakkety »

eternalwishess wrote:
Yakkety wrote:It didn't take me too long to come up with this idea, in fact, I came up with this idea through my dreams, because I like to (day)dream about potential reallife zombie outbreaks, so I put some elements from my dreams in Undead Chronicles, yes UC will be totally realistic, you won't suddenly encounter things such as immortal characters or aliens and such... The protagonist and Toshirou are immune to the virus, however, they can still die from zombie bites and infections, think about blood loss...

Ahahaha, just a few months back, I used to daydream about them all the time. I even thought about making a visual novel that had to do with zombies. Unfortunately, my zombie phase is over for now and I have moved on to obsessing over other things.

Are you planning to tell the story of every character's experience with survival, or is the story strictly limited to the protagonist's POV?
Also, is there an explanation as to why only the protagonist and Toshirou are immune to the virus?
You'll see the story though the eyes of Yakumo, you will have conversations with other people to see what they have been through, to know how they have survived all this way, and the 3 friends in your party, which are Meiya, Toshirou and Yuji (I still have to draw Yuji, he's African American ;) ), you will know their past and experience in the sequel for this game, but that's still a loooong way ahead... But yeah, the story is mainly about Yakumo...

Only Yakumo and Toshirou have been bitten at least once in their lifetime, and they survived it, that's why they are immune, Meiya and Balthazar could be immune too, but they haven't been bitten yet, so we will never know whether they are immune or not, until they get bitten ;)

azureXtwilight
Megane Procrastinator
Completed: Fantasia series (ROT and ROTA), Doppleganger: Dawn of The Inverted Soul, a2 (a due), Time Labyrinth
Projects: At Regime's End
Organization: Memento-Mori VNs, Team Sleepyhead

#6 Post by azureXtwilight »

I love zombie apocalypse concept! Nice art as well~ :D Hopefully this one gets to see the light of completion! Do you plan to release a demo?

Yakkety
Regular

#7 Post by Yakkety »

azureXtwilight wrote:I love zombie apocalypse concept! Nice art as well~ :D Hopefully this one gets to see the light of completion! Do you plan to release a demo?
I'm planning to release the demo before September or in mid August, because in about 2-3 weeks I'm going on holiday to Turkey, but even on my holidays I will still work on the game, not 24/7 of course, just when it's too freaking hot to do something else :P

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#8 Post by gekiganwing »

Hopefully your trip to Turkey will go well. (After listening to all episodes of the 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast, I want to know how many traces of the old empire still exist in current-day Istanbul...)

Anyway, how much zombie fiction are you familiar with? What have you read, watched, or played, so that you can avoid retreading familiar story concepts?

Where do you imagine the city of Karadam will be? I say this because I'm not sure what to make of your characters' names. In many cities and nations, there's at least a few people from Japan. But unless the story takes place in Japan, it seems like an odd coincidence for 4 of the 5 characters to have that ethnicity.

The one name that doesn't fit is an adult man named Bathazar. Is this a reference to anything specific? Because the name Balthazar has been used in a variety of ways.

The girls in your story are drawn with large breasts. It could be a coincidence, but that combined with your story ideas reminds me of the recent series Highschool of the Dead.
Yakkety wrote:So yeah, this is Undead Chronicles, but I have more plans for the future, this game will be the story of Yakumo, but I already have ideas for sequels and prequels, how's about Undead Chronicles; Dark Days Rising? That game will be a prequel, telling the story through the eyes of a yet to be named scientist who had major influences in the zombie outbreak... I also have ideas for a sequel which I will not go in further details about, I don't want to spoil stuff
Take it one step at a time. Which story do you want to tell right now? Which one should be told first?

Yakkety
Regular

#9 Post by Yakkety »

gekiganwing wrote:Hopefully your trip to Turkey will go well. (After listening to all episodes of the 12 Byzantine Rulers podcast, I want to know how many traces of the old empire still exist in current-day Istanbul...)

Anyway, how much zombie fiction are you familiar with? What have you read, watched, or played, so that you can avoid retreading familiar story concepts?

Where do you imagine the city of Karadam will be? I say this because I'm not sure what to make of your characters' names. In many cities and nations, there's at least a few people from Japan. But unless the story takes place in Japan, it seems like an odd coincidence for 4 of the 5 characters to have that ethnicity.

The one name that doesn't fit is an adult man named Bathazar. Is this a reference to anything specific? Because the name Balthazar has been used in a variety of ways.

The girls in your story are drawn with large breasts. It could be a coincidence, but that combined with your story ideas reminds me of the recent series Highschool of the Dead.
Yakkety wrote:So yeah, this is Undead Chronicles, but I have more plans for the future, this game will be the story of Yakumo, but I already have ideas for sequels and prequels, how's about Undead Chronicles; Dark Days Rising? That game will be a prequel, telling the story through the eyes of a yet to be named scientist who had major influences in the zombie outbreak... I also have ideas for a sequel which I will not go in further details about, I don't want to spoil stuff
Take it one step at a time. Which story do you want to tell right now? Which one should be told first?
Oh I'm experienced with all things zombie, I'm a zombie fanatic myself, I know everything about zombies, and that's why I'll make sure to not incorporate story elements from other zombie fictions into UC...

Karadam is supposed to be in a city familiar to, let's say Los Angeles, LA meets Amsterdam, it's not in Japan, but the names of the characters are mostly Japanese because well, it fits them better and I like to keep some Japanese influences in my game... I can however say that Karadam is a fictional place in Japan, maybe...

Balthazar's name has an entire backstory to it, his first name is Rahman, and he is of Turkish descendant...

Big breasts? Come on, almost all my friends and family told me their boobs were big :P
I honestly don't know why, but when I draw boobs, I automatically dram them quite large, I do like HoTD, but I didn't really think about giving my characters big breasts because HoTD did it too... But don't worry, there is a 3rd girl you can conquer, her name's Miki, and she will have smaller breasts than Kimiko, not too small, but at least smaller than Kimiko's ;)

Yeah don't worry, right now I'm all focused on UC, any future plans are stored in my head, right now it's all about Yakumo's life in the apocalypse ;)
Last edited by Yakkety on Fri Jul 20, 2012 7:41 am, edited 2 times in total.

Yakkety
Regular

#10 Post by Yakkety »

Tomorrow morning I'll be leaving for 4 weeks to Turkey, I'm taking my laptop with me but there be no internetz there, but maybe I can keep ye guys up-to-date when I'm in internet cafe's ;)

Stay safe y'all, keep on surviving :3