That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles [GxB, BakeSim] (Hiatus)

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
polkapink

Re: That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles [GxB, BakeSim, Slife]

#46 Post by polkapink » Fri Aug 17, 2012 12:12 am

Hi dear! I just downloaded the demo and finished my first playthrough. When I first booted up the game and saw a list of all those names, I felt a little overwhelmed with all the info. To be honest, I did not remember most of it. I was not able to connect the info with the characters but then as a played on and saw them, the light bulb went off and I made sense of it. I wish that info was somehow incorporated into the game rather than all in one go at the very beginning. It was like reading a manual. ): As for the baking, I loved it. I thought it was fun and clever that you discovered new recipes as you interacted with the characters. 150 recipes? That sounds ambitious and I do not see any reason to have so many unless there is some reward for learning all of them. I would just use a select few, make a list and just use that. (I would like to see little icons by each recipe. I think that would be cute! C:) Is there a way to know if something is going to be thrown out or if you worked too hard? I kind of just clicked around but somehow made a profit. I really enjoyed what I saw so far with the characters and how you can tell they already have established relationships. You want to learn more about them! :)

9:19
Veteran
Projects: Green Eyed Monster [complete]

#47 Post by 9:19 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 3:27 pm

Don't quote me this post is a hideous chunk of code not even Mother Teresa could love. BUT! You guys each recipe gets its own icon/preview/whatchamacallit look it life is beautiful group hug of love everyone gather 'round.
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage
ImageImageImage

I did these and a dozen more (that's a lie I did 19). Moya's doing the rest, please look forward to them! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)

...I'm sorry, that was awful writing even by my standards. /runs along with run-ons

LA-Sugarkane

#48 Post by LA-Sugarkane » Wed Sep 05, 2012 9:33 pm

Just a bug I noticed in the demo, characters thoughts change depending on choices but they don't change back. Like I had chosen to go talk to Santos then reloaded and chose to talk to Joshua instead and Santos was still calling Elise a stupid b*tch in his head. This seems to happen with all the thoughts, I'm guessing they're persistant data? Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it, I do that sometimes. Good luck with everything, I'll definitely be rooting for you!

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#49 Post by CheeryMoya » Wed Sep 05, 2012 11:37 pm

9:19 wrote:Moya's doing the rest, please look forward to them! (ღ˘⌣˘ღ)
You mean dread I can only hope to match the quality.
LA-Sugarkane wrote:Just a bug I noticed in the demo, characters thoughts change depending on choices but they don't change back. Like I had chosen to go talk to Santos then reloaded and chose to talk to Joshua instead and Santos was still calling Elise a stupid b*tch in his head. This seems to happen with all the thoughts, I'm guessing they're persistant data? Sorry if this was already posted and I missed it, I do that sometimes. Good luck with everything, I'll definitely be rooting for you!
Yeah, we have no idea what's up with that, though Gutsy think she knows how to fix it. If anyone does have a code handy that can fix that, can you lend us a hand?

P.S. If you read our blog update, then you know what's been happening. If you haven't yet, then you should!

Funnyguts
Veteran
Projects: That's the Way the Cookie Crumbles, Ibuki Magica
Organization: Twin Turtle Games

#50 Post by Funnyguts » Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:50 pm

Hey guys, question! How much management would you consider too much before the game became unfun? We were considering adding things to the baking sim like buying new ovens, mixers, and other equipment, along with having to deal with stuff breaking down. It seems realistic, but could probably get tedious fast. What would you like to see?
ImageImage Image
Petit Fours and Sushi: The best name for a Tumblog I could think of.
,%,..@@@,.Þ%,.@G,.@@,.% ...What? It makes sense to me.

EroBotan
Veteran

#51 Post by EroBotan » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:48 pm

mmm ... I suggest to go crazy with upgrades like buying ovens, mixers, etc XD

be careful with stuff breaking down though, a lot of people seems to have traumatic experience during their MMORPG days when their armor broke and it's max durability went down. I"m not really sure, but I think Harvest Moon don't have this 'item breaks'/'food goes bad after a few days' mechanism and it's still fun even though it's not realistic.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#52 Post by Arowana » Tue Dec 04, 2012 11:43 pm

I'm not a huge management fan, but I like the idea of upgrades and bonuses to make your job easier. For me, rewards for doing well (new equipment) >> punishments for doing poorly (stuff breaking).

Alternatively, maybe you could have both Lite and Challenge modes, where the latter is much more management-heavy?
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#53 Post by Auro-Cyanide » Wed Dec 05, 2012 12:56 am

It probably depends on how you are planning to balance the game. Things breaking down/going off/etc in game play is a balancing mechanicism so a player doesn't become too powerful. They have to spend time and energy maintaining as well as collecting and managing, which does mean it lends itself well to managment games. I've played quite a few games where this has been used from stuff breaking down in the Sims to having to repair your weapons in Fallout. I do agree that it can get annoying, especially if it happens often, because it devalue your actions to the point that you might as well not bother doing them. An example is on of the Harvest Moon games. Growing crops is time consuming and not very cost effective, but can be fun. However once you have a storm blow through and wipeout everything, why would you bother replanting when mining is so much better and you don't have that risk? The mechanics caused one part of the game to become pretty obsolete, however realistic it is meant to be. The balance has to be done pretty well so that there are pros and cons on both side and so the player actually feels like they are gaining something rather than being pushed back or made stagnent. I also suggest cluing the player into it a little, for instance letting them know when food will go off. It will add to the management side of things without blind siding them.

The other alternative is to not have things break down and instead just have everything be harder to get so they have to work harder to make the gain. Again this has to be balanced so that the time inbetween making progress isn't so long that the player becomes bored.

leon
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Visual Novel Tycoon, Night at the Hospital, Time Labyrinth, The Buried Moon, Left of Center, Super Otome Quest
Projects: Lemon Project, Porcelain Heart, Dream's Dénouement
Organization: Team ANARKY

#54 Post by leon » Sun Dec 09, 2012 3:32 pm

Personally I would love to see a lot more management. But I don't suppose I'm the target audience for a GxB game being a guy and all... You may want to take a look at http://www.pizzatycoon.org/ (a game so old its free as abandonware now) for some ideas.
For stuff getting broken, you could make it so that cheap ovens break down often, while expensive ones almost never break down.

Alwerien
Regular

#55 Post by Alwerien » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:20 pm

Never been a fan of things getting broken, but it's not necessarily bad way of balancing if done the right way. As long as stuff doesn't break too often and doesn't ruin absolutely everything. ;A; On the other hand, I just love upgrades and shiny bonuses! I sort of doubt people would really reject those at all though, haha... But some people probably like more challenging better so being able to choose a difficulty seems like the best way to go, if at all possible.
I love it when games with romance option have possible love interests both male and female. I wish there were more games like that. :<

cuttlefish
Regular

#56 Post by cuttlefish » Mon Dec 10, 2012 9:35 am

Funnyguts wrote:--How much management would you consider too much before the game became unfun? We were considering adding things to the baking sim like buying new ovens, mixers, and other equipment, along with having to deal with stuff breaking down. -- What would you like to see?
Unless the equipment is really out-of-date or there's a time skip or some terrible mishap occurs, chances are the baking equipment won't break down within the timeframe of the game. I think it would be better to stick with upgrading equipment* (and the store) only, and not worry about repairing equipment or equipment breaking down (unless that's a plot event if you don't upgrade after a while).

Oh! And like I brought up in my first post in this thread I did not mean for it to sound harsh, you could consider an upgrade system for the bakery workers like Elise and Al (at least). Their stats would affect the speed at which they complete tasks. They might be something like Math (improves baking and cashier skills), Intuition (improves selling skills - knowing what the new customer might want)... You could play around with the idea.

I think more management wouldn't be bad as long as there is an option to skip it for those who are more interested in the VN aspect. The management game would become "unfun," as Auro-Cyanide pointed out, when your actions result in no advancement or advancement is so slow and you have few actions to do. If you play Elise multitasking baking, selling, and cashiering while having Al as side help to cashiering and selling, I think the player would have enough to do on the management side. You'll just have to experiment and see.

*includes hiring more workers

joo
Organization: Studio Royalty

#57 Post by joo » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:40 am

Downloading the demo now. The art looks fantastic - the backgrounds are well drawn! And the food icons up there ^^^ -drools-

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#58 Post by FatUnicornGames » Thu Dec 27, 2012 3:58 am

I'm not a big fan of things breaking down either. If that is an option I would make it a rare one.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

TheOneTwo
Regular

#59 Post by TheOneTwo » Thu Jan 03, 2013 2:55 pm

Hello! I've played the demo and the game's really nice! The characters are well-drawn and everything seems incredible. :) I really love that little Alfonso. XD You must make this game a reality!!!!!!!!! :lol: :wink:
Bish please, I'm fab.

starshylea18

#60 Post by starshylea18 » Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:49 pm

Is the full version going to cost money, or free?