[BxG][Fantasy school life] Iridescent High

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Asacream

[BxG][Fantasy school life] Iridescent High

#1 Post by Asacream »

Iridescent High

I have been actually quite interested in visual novels for quite a while, and finally,
I decided to make one myself. I am not expecting it to be very long, just a little short story
to brush up my skills for another project I am planning to do. :)

Synopsis

Ken, an average student preparing to enter high school receives a letter from Iridescent High School,
the famous school that only accepts the best students from all over the world. There, he meets many new people and
discovered the the school is not what it seems and is actually a magic school, and maybe he will discover the
truth behind his family and find a partner too.

Some stuff about the school: It's kinda like Hogwarts, Ken has the ability to use magic, in the school, he will learn how to use spells and the like.

Characters
Name: Ken
The main player in the game. Not the manliest guy you would see, nice to everyone
and has average grades. Easy bully target.

(I'm redoing his sprite so have a small sketch.)

Name: Lise
One of the girls you can pursue.
Lise appears to be a shy and timid girl, she often stutters and it's very hard to
understand her. She is often seen to be reading history books. However, is she what she seems?

Name: Allen, or she would prefer, Alien.
Allen is the type who would slack whenever she could, she often sleeps in class, however,
she seems to be able to get the highest grades every time. She is seen wearing a jacket,
however, the reason is unknown.

Name: Aria
Cheerful and energetic, she's a ball of sunshine. Aria is the trendy type of girls, she likes fashion
and goes shopping and is always talking about the latest news.

Name: Luke
Ken's roommate and his first friend.
He's always talking about how to be manly, however, his looks say otherwise and
he is often mistaken for a girl. Likes classical music secretly.

Minor Characters

Name: Eli
Ken's mother. She's a good cook who sometimes can be too naggy.

more to come...

Progress:
Scripting: 10%(Just started ^^;)
Story: 60% (Just need to think of endings.)
Music: 100% (Free ones)
Art: Most of the sprites are done, haven't started on CGs yet. I'm also using free bg pictures.

Based on the sprites and small bio, who do you like the most?
Also, I have planned that in one of the routes if you choose one of the answers, you kinda get this gay
ending, I hope it's okay?
If you are wondering about the names, I am really bad at surnames so I'll think of it later.
Sorry if my english is bad...

Screenshots
Attachments
Capture2.PNG
Capture.PNG
The main menu.
The main menu.
Last edited by Asacream on Mon Jul 09, 2012 7:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

redeyesblackpanda
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Eternal Memories, plot bunnies that won't die.
Organization: HellPanda Studios

Re: [BxG][Fantasy school life] Iridescent High

#2 Post by redeyesblackpanda »

Allen is clearly the cutest! (Not really a girl's name... Does this have to do with her personality?) Mysterious and smart seems quite nice.
Asacream wrote:Sorry if my english is bad...
If English isn't your first language, you might want to get an editor or proofreader. I'm sure there'll be people that will be willing to volunteer on this forum.

Wooh! A BxG game!
(All projects currently on a hiatus of sorts. I blame life.)
Tsundere VN
Not really checking the forums any more due to time constraints, so if you want to contact me, PM. I'll get a notification and log in. :mrgreen:
Also, I've been hit and run posting, which means I don't see many replies. If you want to respond to something I've said, also feel free to PM me.

NOTE: if you've got questions about vnovel or things like that, it's Leon that you should be contacting. Leon's been pretty much handling everything, but due to various reasons, I've had to withdraw entirely.

wakagana
Veteran
Projects: Flash Q
Organization: Team Bread

#3 Post by wakagana »

I really like your Character art. I wish you luck with your writing, writing in english can be a challenge if its not your first language :t

Sapphi
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Boku no Taisetsu na Yumeko
Projects: Twelve, PAW ★ PRINTS
Organization: Kitsch-soft

#4 Post by Sapphi »

Asacream wrote: Name: Lise
She is often seen to be reading history books.
Oooh! I'm plugging for this one! :mrgreen:

Really, I think all the girls are cute, but... Lise is my favorite.
(The eyes on her sprite seem spaced a little too far apart, though, compared to the other designs... But I have to say I really love your style overall! You have a nice way with colors. The menu screen illustration is gorgeous!)
"It is [the writer's] privilege to help man endure by lifting his heart,
by reminding him of the courage and honor and hope and pride
and compassion and pity and sacrifice which have been the glory of his past."
— William Faulkner
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬..+X+..▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

Cute BxG games and stories are among my guilty pleasures. This is a project which I'd like to see finished.
Asacream wrote:I am not expecting it to be very long, just a little short story
to brush up my skills for another project I am planning to do. :)
No problem. Keeping your first VN reasonably short and simple is fine.
Asacream wrote:Ken, an average student preparing to enter high school receives a letter from Iridescent High School,
the famous school that only accepts the best students from all over Asia. There, he meets many new people and
discovered the the school is not what it seems and is actually a magic school, and maybe he will discover the
truth behind his family and find a partner too.
Does your story take place in a real nation? If not, is the setting based on a real place?

Since you stated that the story occurs in a magic school, please provide more details. For instance, can ordinary people learn magic? Do they need to learn how to control it? Does everyone there realize it's not an ordinary academy? How secret is the magic education -- how many people outside the school know about it? (See the discussion on Wizarding Schools to learn about the many fictional works that use this concept. Beware, TVTropes is highly addictive, lol.)
Asacream wrote:Based on the sprites and small bio, who do you like the most?
If I were Ken... then I'd probably take an interest in Lise. I find it easy to sympathize with shy girls.

I have to admit that the three main girls have uniforms that seem unflattering. Brown and tan are decent colors, but the design seems to say "Pay attention to these breasts." Sort of like Lina Inverse's typical outfit but with more muted colors.
Asacream wrote:Also, I have planned that in one of the routes if you choose one of the answers, you kinda get this gay
ending, I hope it's okay?
An important question: do you want to portray Luke sympathetically, and make him into an authentic gay love interest option character? If Luke is gay or bisexual, that's fine with me. Maybe he is insecure about his sexuality, since you said that he is "...always talking about how to be manly..." Perhaps he's never met anyone who understands him. There are other possibilities. Maybe he's not good at making or keeping friends, and he comes across as homosexual when he only wants to be Ken's friend. Maybe he needs Luke's help in order to become closer to a girl. Maybe he is related to Luke, and their love can be accurately called storge (love between family members). It's your decision how you present this character.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#6 Post by Arowana »

Popping in to say I really love your art! All the characters have such cute designs, and both the coloring on the sprites and the menu screen is so pretty! (sits and admires your pictures)

I think I like Aria's design and Lise's bio the most (I love shy characters), but they are all really cute. And there is an ending with Luke? I would totally do it! :D

At this stage, I'd like to know more about the plot. A magic school sounds pretty interesting - do all the characters have different powers?
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Asacream

#7 Post by Asacream »

Arowana wrote: At this stage, I'd like to know more about the plot. A magic school sounds pretty interesting - do all the characters have different powers?
Thank you! ^o^ The school is actually like Hogwarts, people with the ability to use magic, or a born with magical blood would be admitted to the school. Then, they will learn how to actually use them, so I guess if you didn't study hard enough, your powers will be weaker than the others.

@Redeyesblackpanda
Yes, that's a boy's name lol. Allen is actually more of like a unique character, but that's up to you how you think she is.
I actually learn English as my first language, but I'm still quite bad at it.

@Wakagana
Thank you!

@Sapphi
Thank you! I actually did Lise's sprite twice but I thinking of redoing it again, I can't seem to get the look I want haha...

@gekiganwing
Ah, thank you! Your advice helped a lot! Luke isn't a option to date, it's just, you get a bit of gayness with him in one of the routes, you can never end up with him though.

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#8 Post by Destiny »

The art looks great :D
Even though I first shortly thought, Ken could also start something with Luke (since he appears under main roles, stupid mind of mine xD), but the girls look all great!
Maybe just a little critique on the cliche that the book worm OF COURSE has to wear glasses and has to be the shy girl.
But oh well, that's not that bad, it's just kind of overused ^^
And you kind of hinted it could be otherwise?

I'm anxious for the first demo :)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#9 Post by gekiganwing »

Asacream wrote:Luke isn't a option to date, it's just, you get a bit of gayness with him in one of the routes, you can never end up with him though.
No big deal. As long as you portray him as an ordinary, respectable person.