Reaching Out [friendship] [school] [slice-of-life]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Reaching Out [friendship] [school] [slice-of-life]

#1 Post by Applegate »

'Reaching Out'

It's called 'unnamed story' because it is, in fact, 'unnamed'. I don't have a particular name that strikes me as a good one, and its working title has been "NVList Short". Usually the naming process comes last in any case, but progress has been good such that I wanted to share this project with everyone.

Note that the project is non-commercial. Its sprites are in the public domain as of immediate and can be downloaded here.

Synopsis

'unnamed story' is a story of bullying and being bullied, a story of knowing what's the right thing to do and doing the right thing. It's a story of two people.

Rody isn't someone who stands out much. He plays on the soccer team with his best pal, Jack, and has a modest group of friends. They like to pick on Thomas, a chubby kid from Rody's class, and they like to do all the rowdy things boys are wont to do.

Cecile stands out, but not by her own design. She's the victim of a group of girls' bullying, and has endured it quietly. Cecile spends a lot of time in the school library, where she helps the librarian.

Rody knows Cecile's being bullied, and thinks someone ought to do something. His friend, Jack, thinks Rody's all talk and no action. Even so, Cecile and Rody meet and begin to talk, and Rody realises something needs to change.

Characters
Rody, the story's narrator. The focus is on Rody and his change from someone who thinks the right thing should be done into someone who does the right thing.

Cecile is a quiet girl whose quietness has set bullies on her path. She endures quietly, thinking nothing can be done about it.

Jack is Rody's best friend. He's the type who does what he wants to do, and who thinks everyone should be the same.

Progress

Script: 6/6 scenes. (tentative 7th)
Programming: 6/6 scenes. Not sure how much I will need to adjust from the base coding.
Character Sprites: 2/2 characters, 3/3 poses. (100% complete)
Backgrounds: 0/9.
CG Scenes: 0/2.
Design Graphics: 0/0. (n/a, but if anyone'd like to design message boxes and menus, lemme know and we can work something out!)
Music: 0/4. (still working out with musician how many tracks are needed and how many he will compose, count is tentative)

You can keep up with progress on my blog here.

Recruitment?

Well, I need a photographer as detailed here.
I'd like someone who wants to design a menu, message box and such, but it is not mandatory.
Halp, I could use a musician!

Neither position involves monetary compensation, and for work contributed I would hope to distribute it in the public domain so others can enjoy it as well.

Release date

None set in stone, but I hope to release in two months tops as a very generous estimate.
Last edited by Applegate on Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:19 pm, edited 4 times in total.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: unnamed story [friendship] [school] [slice-of-life]

#2 Post by CheeryMoya »

Applegate wrote:It's called 'unnamed story' because it is, in fact, 'unnamed'.
Your blog wrote:The name has also been settled to be “2-1″, in being a reference to football, and referring to Jack/Rody-Cecile, who are clearly of different worlds. … Maybe that name isn’t such a good idea, uuuh.
Uh, congrats on still being undecided on the name. Even if you might not use 2-1, it's still a better placeholder title than "unnamed story." This is when I suggest the name "Her Untold Story" if that even fits.

Other than that, I have high hopes for this story. You didn't write much to comment on, so I'll leave it at that.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#3 Post by Applegate »

But her story'd remain untold.

Well, I was told WIPs are meant to be like advertisements, except they also include "this is how far we are". :-P When in Rome do as Romans do, aye?

Also hush I am permitted to be undecided on the name even after previously deciding on one! D: 2-1 is horrible to look for on Google and it's probably too pretentious deep. If you'd like though, I don't mind sending you a copy of the script if you're interested. Well, once I get home, that is.

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#4 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Those sprites are looking cute, good luck with completing!
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Anna
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Binary Soul, Days of the Divine, Nanolife, Firefly
Projects: current: Path of Dreamers
Organization: Circle Pegasi

#5 Post by Anna »

Applegate wrote:CG Scenes: 0/4.
I'm also curious to which these are (I thought you said two last time). Just be careful we don't end up with too many CGs, because one CG per ~800 words sounds like a lot :O!

Destiny
Veteran
Projects: Cards of Destiny, Sky Eye

#6 Post by Destiny »

Sounds interesting, since bullying is a delicate thing.
Your style is also cool, so I'm looking forward to it :)
Cards of Destiny (WIP) / Sky Eye (WIP)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#7 Post by Applegate »

Anna wrote:
Applegate wrote:CG Scenes: 0/4.
I'm also curious to which these are (I thought you said two last time). Just be careful we don't end up with too many CGs, because one CG per ~800 words sounds like a lot :O!
Oops, haha... Since we agreed on 4 at first I just put down 4 without thinking. Absent-minded and some nervousness because WIPs are hard.

I've updated the OP a bit (and edited out the image; 800px limit and I admit to some laziness in editing it down) with how far progress has gone along for those who don't believe in blogs. The long and short of it is that I'm sitting on my bum working up the effort to look for pictures since I think it's probably impossible to get someone to take the pictures for me, what with the time of year and all, ha ha.

The musician's pretty much dropped out of the project without delivery, so that's a set back. If anyone'd be interested, shoot me a PM or drop a message here and we can probably work something out. :-)

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#8 Post by Applegate »

This project is coming close to a finish!

I've found that photographer I was looking for, so things are moving up again. I also revised the script another time, removing some unnecessary clutter... leaving the work at around 3,200 words. Thankfully quality is not expressed in the number of words, right?

I still haven't been able to come up with a good title (and 2-1 was rejected by, well, two to one, ironically enough) but there's very little keeping me from releasing this sometime soon, and I'm personally excited about it. I hope you are, too!

Cross-posting this from my blog, because the answer is actually important to me (I have no clue on game design, I just like writing :D):

Currently I have it set that when they speak, their emotion changes… and then again when their text ends and narration/Rody responds. This means you can’t zip through and has movement on screen.

My question is, would that get annoying fast? Should I just let them change to a specific emotion and change to something else when relevant? Let me know!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#9 Post by chocojax »

Yaaay, keep going! :9

What do you mean? Like:
"Sentence 1. [change] Sentence 2. Sentence 3. [change] Sentence 4. [change]"
"Narration response."

I wouldn't really find that annoying; I actually like it like that in VNs. If someone wanted to crtl through all of it, I think the movement is sped up, so it's fine.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#10 Post by Applegate »

I mean, uh.

[change]
<insert angry words>
[change to neutral]
narration
[change to sighing]
<words>
[change to neutral]
response

etc

It'd change a lot!

chocojax
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Umbra, Familiarity, Maleficent Justice
Tumblr: chocojax

#11 Post by chocojax »

Uhh, I think that's okay. I wouldn't really mind too much, kinda adds a more realistic touch to them.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

#12 Post by Applegate »

I'm pretty terrible at keeping this sort of stuff updated. For those who haven't been following my blog, this is still going forward. In fact, I've just received the last CG for the story, and will likely have the soundtrack around the end of this week as well - that means barring a title screen, everything's done save for the final touches!

Sadly, school work makes finding time for those final touches a chore.

A release date is looking bright, but I'm not too fond of promising dates. I think late October/early November is a good estimate, though!

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#13 Post by WickedRaccoon »

waiting forward for the release,cause it seems really interesting :D there are not many games here that focuse on real life issues,such as bullying (or maybe they are,but i haven't seen anything) anyways,will wait for the release :D :D :D

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Reaching Out [friendship] [school] [slice-of-life]

#14 Post by Applegate »

I think there's a few more VNs that focus on real life issues - my VN can certainly not be unique in that! I think mine is the only one that makes it its focus rather than part of its story. I think mine only differs in that it makes it its focus rather than part of its story.

I actually had to read up a bit and do some research on bullying and how bullied people feel. I'm a bit ashamed to admit I was in the first category and not the latter.

Applegate
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: Reaching Out [friendship] [school] [slice-of-life]

#15 Post by Applegate »

I made a blog post with some numbers on completion here. Code won't be done tonight, and the title screen will probably have to wait a bit as well, but I'm really close to having this ready for release. There's some fine tuning to the writing as well based on various feedbacks.