Still-to-be-titled Japanese Game [Edutainment]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Rika
Organization: Solo (for now)
IRC Nick: Trick

Re: Still-to-be-titled Japanese Game [Edutainment]

#16 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Originally I wanted the player to feel the culture shock of coming to Japan, but I think the players would just get frustrated. They will be helped to some degree with many things in the start.
Later, after they get a bit more familiar with how thins work, they will be able to help someone else who is new to Japan and speaks absolutely no Japanese (not revealing who that will be yet).

I'm curious how you all feel about feeling confused when playing the game, but not by the mechanics.
Would it put you off?
"We must teach them through the tools with which they are comfortable."
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#17 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

I've taken into consideration the great comments and changed some things in the demo. Still lots of things I need to improve of course.
Download links in the first post in this topic.
The #renpy IRC channel is a great place to chat with other devs. Due to the nature of IRC and timezone differences, people probably won't reply right away.

If you'd like to view or use any code from my VN PM me. All code is freely available without restriction, but also without warranty or (much) support.

DragoonHP
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Christmas
IRC Nick: DragoonHP

#18 Post by DragoonHP »

The "steve" folder is missing and also, among all those "missing error" in the start, there was also an invalid syntax error in scenes.rpy.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#19 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Thanks a lot for letting me know.

This is the result of trying to finish a lot of changes and uploading at 4am.

Anyway, here is a LINK to the missing folder. The content needs to be extracted in the game/Characters folder. It will create the Steve folder.

Do you know which line had the other error message? I'm not getting any errors when I run it.

TrickWithAKnife
Eileen-Class Veteran

#20 Post by TrickWithAKnife »

Just thought I'd let anyone who is interested know that this project is still underway. I'm working kinda slowly, but that's unavoidable. My motivation hasn't changed at all.

Anyway, here's a sample from June:

And a sample from today:
Expect it to look quite different by the end.

If anyone wants to look a bit more into the creation, let me know and I'll give you a link to some of my WIP pages.
I decided not to post too much here, because I don't want to spoil the surprise.

If you do take a look though, please give me some feedback. I like positive feedback, but love criticism much more.
And I'd welcome any suggestions too. The feedback could be in this thread, as long as you use spoiler tags when appropriate.