AXIOM.01 [detective mystery][otome]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

Re: AXIOM.01 [detective mystery][otome] - Update 8/26

#61 Post by Arowana »

@ Anarchy
Thanks a bunch for all your comments! :D
Definitely make the tutorial case skippable on subsequent playthroughs. Offering incentives for finishing cases more efficiently works as well.
I think the first case should definitely be skippable, then! I’ve thinking recently about how to judge “efficiency” - % inventory completed and % total HP left would probably be the easiest metrics to use. I said before that I would also consider the time taken to finish the case, but that might be unfair since that different people have different reading speeds (plus I can’t assign a “max” time to judge people against). Maybe a third metric could be # of clicks in the hidden object portion or # times hints used, but again, both of these are unbounded (unless I set a limit or tie them to HP?).
Having different scenarios for different protagonist choices immediately makes me go "no no no no no no no" while huddled up in a corner - I hate it when the universe magically rearranges itself around choices that don't actually impact it. Completely ruins suspension of disbelief and the sense that it's a real world you're inhabiting that will go on churning even without you.
I totally agree with this. I think this would be one of the major challenges in implementing multiple case scenarios, because you wouldn’t want the triggering of different scenarios to seem arbitrary. AKA your choices should logically determine which events can occur. I was thinking things along the lines of, if you were around Character A on Day X, they’d lose the opportunity to enact Murder Plan B and would have to use Plan C instead (similarly, if you took Item D on Day X, they would have to use Item E to commit the crime instead). Or if you were with Victim A on Day X, the murderer would have to go after Victim B instead.
About Sylvia, I would say definitely include a route for her even if not many people profess interest. I think it's really important for video games as a medium to embrace diversity and not shy away from representation of fringe groups - we're way behind on books, films, and other media when it comes to tackling LGBT issues in a mature way. I personally would like to see more games cater to underrepresented minority interests.
I agree that minority underrepresentation in media is a major issue and would like to see more diversity as well. Right now, though, the most I think I can do for Sylvia is a “quasi-route” that will be relatively hard to access. That’s partly due to the story events and characters themselves (I can’t see Christie aggressively pursuing Sylvia throughout the game or vice versa), and partly because I think a full extra route might kill me, haha. As long as something small like this for Sylvia is better than nothing all, that is (just hope it doesn’t come across as a half-hearted copout).
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: AXIOM.01 [detective mystery][otome] - Update 8/26

#62 Post by Arowana »

Hey, guys! I'm been awfully remiss about updating, so here are some various things:

bunbun recently did some super cool main menu wallpapers for AXIOM.01 (thank you, bunbun!!). This one of Sagan is my favorite! :)

(so cool!)

bunbun's wallpapers are unlocked by completing the first case. I ultimately hope to add a variety of bonus wallpapers with different unlock conditions throughout the game (Any artists out there willing to give it a shot? I'm happy to do skill trades lol).

Also, a random technical issue for the hidden object games. Right now, a lot of my objects have serious overlap, like this:

(I really should have planned it better...)

I would like to fade out objects once they are found, or highlight random objects for hints. If anyone knows how to do this with overlapping objects, let me know! Or else I suppose I should redo the hidden objects screens. ^^

Lastly, I wanted to give players ranking titles depending on how good their scores were during the detective minigames. Anyone have any ideas for titles? I figured I could start at "Amateur Detective" and end at "Sherlock Holmes II" or something, but not sure what kind of titles to have in the middle. ;p

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: AXIOM.01 [detective mystery][otome] - Update 9/24

#63 Post by CheeryMoya »

Lastly, I wanted to give players ranking titles depending on how good their scores were during the detective minigames. Anyone have any ideas for titles? I figured I could start at "Amateur Detective" and end at "Sherlock Holmes II" or something, but not sure what kind of titles to have in the middle. ;p
  • Problem Ace Sleuth
  • Gallant Gumshoe
  • Private Eye
  • Illustrious Investigator
Stuff like that? Or you can have it rank like Gumshoe -> Investigator -> Sleuth -> Private Eye -> Sherlock Holmes (some order like that) and place adjectives in front of each title to give it a specific rank (Amateur Gumshoe -> Competent Gumshoe -> Expert Gumshoe -> Amateur Investigator etc.). Does that make sense? I've seen a few games that did that.

Also, I need to be better at keeping up with the progress here D': Everything keeps looking better and better!

bunbun
Regular

#64 Post by bunbun »

ahh~
Again I'm really glad to work with you.
Your game looks very polished and professional.
Can't wait until the demo is released!
WIPS

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#65 Post by Arowana »

@ CheeryMoya
Ooh, thanks for the suggestions! I love the alliteration! xD Modifying adjectives also seem like a great way to generate a lot of ranks at once. Still thinking about how many ranks are reasonable. Maybe 6-8? If it’s that few, I could go with your alliteration idea. Maybe something like:

Adequate/Average Amateur (<20%)
Good Gumshoe (20-35%)
Promising Private Eye (35-50%)
Dependable Detective (50-65%)
Able/Adept Ace (65-75%)
Illustrious Investigator (75-85%)
Super Sleuth (85-95%)
Sherlock Holmes’s Successor (>95%)

Percentages are totally arbitrary at the moment – just making the brackets a bit smaller as they go up. I guess once I finalize a scoring metric, I need to get data from playtesters and figure out what the distribution looks like. (owned by stats)

@bunbun
Thanks! I’m glad to work with you, too! xD Hopefully I can get the demo out soon, haha.

In other news, I think I’m gonna try overlaying the overlapping objects in the imagemaps as imagebuttons. Which is better than redoing the entire image, but is still going to be a bit of a pain. (good thing I saved the separate images!)

Daistarir
Veteran
Projects: History [GxB], Alice Revo
Organization: Kingdom Crown Production

#66 Post by Daistarir »

OMG!!!!! Remy Tran (What the heck ??? He's a Vietnamese)
Okay... Cute Cute Art xxx Interesting Story.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#67 Post by Arowana »

Thanks! :) Haha yep, Remy is supposed to be Vietnamese. Good catch!

My partner Kago originally suggested Remy for his first name (I think it's from a character in Street Fighter lol - Cody's name is from Street Fighter as well, haha). Since Remy's a French name, it somehow reminded me of Vietnam, which used to be a French colony. So we decided to make him Vietnamese. xD Neither of us know very much about Vietnam, though, so maybe it wasn't the best idea. ^^;

Lost-Guitarist

#68 Post by Lost-Guitarist »

Arowana wrote:Thanks! :) Haha yep, Remy is supposed to be Vietnamese. Good catch!

My partner Kago originally suggested Remy for his first name (I think it's from a character in Street Fighter lol - Cody's name is from Street Fighter as well, haha). Since Remy's a French name, it somehow reminded me of Vietnam, which used to be a French colony. So we decided to make him Vietnamese. xD Neither of us know very much about Vietnam, though, so maybe it wasn't the best idea. ^^;
....OMG, A Vietnamese Tsundork with a French name? He's officially my favorite. I have to play this now.

Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this game going to be commercial or free? In either event, it looks amazing. I can't wait. ^.^

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#69 Post by Arowana »

Thanks! Haha yeah, I feel like Remy is going to be the most popular. xD Kago thinks I made him a bit too "evil" though...we shall see!
Sorry if I missed this somewhere, but is this game going to be commercial or free? In either event, it looks amazing. I can't wait. ^.^
AXIOM.01 will definitely be free! Many of the photos/sounds I used are under Creative Commons noncommercial licenses, so I couldn't make the game commercial even if I wanted to, haha.

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#70 Post by CheeryMoya »

Arowana wrote:Thanks! Haha yeah, I feel like Remy is going to be the most popular. xD Kago thinks I made him a bit too "evil" though...we shall see!
So does that mean I get Cody all to myself? :'D And why do the evil-ish characters end up so popular anyway, is it because they're bad? Booooo.

nottiebutt
Regular

#71 Post by nottiebutt »

CheeryMoya wrote:
Arowana wrote:Thanks! Haha yeah, I feel like Remy is going to be the most popular. xD Kago thinks I made him a bit too "evil" though...we shall see!
So does that mean I get Cody all to myself? :'D And why do the evil-ish characters end up so popular anyway, is it because they're bad? Booooo.
sorry Moya we'll have to share
and if we can't share i'll fight you for him hehe

Hannahchu
Regular
Projects: Morte. Deaths Kiss! I'm no boy! <3

#72 Post by Hannahchu »

This is looking great, good luck and I can't wait to play the demo!

Chu~

Daistarir
Veteran

#73 Post by Daistarir »

Arowana wrote:Thanks! :) Haha yep, Remy is supposed to be Vietnamese. Good catch!

I know a lot about Vietname because I were lived in Vietnam for 10 yearr xS
How come French reminded you about Vietname xD ?(P/S :My old surname is Pham xD)

CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

#74 Post by CheeryMoya »

nottiebutt wrote:
CheeryMoya wrote:So does that mean I get Cody all to myself? :'D And why do the evil-ish characters end up so popular anyway, is it because they're bad? Booooo.
sorry Moya we'll have to share
and if we can't share i'll fight you for him hehe
I get his glasses and jacket, you can have the rest of him >:3
Daistarir wrote:How come French reminded you about Vietname xD ?
Arowana wrote:Since Remy's a French name, it somehow reminded me of Vietnam, which used to be a French colony.
._.

Daistarir
Veteran

#75 Post by Daistarir »

It's not French's colony . French just being a bad guy and start a war '-' I am sad because that is what you think about my old country.