Lilac Melody|GxG otome|Romance, slice of life|BEING REWORKED

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Pandora
Regular

Lilac Melody|GxG otome|Romance, slice of life|BEING REWORKED

#1 Post by Pandora »

This game is currently being majorly changed/reworked. I hope to have some solid updates for you in the next couple of months! (As of February 17th, 2013)

Plot:

Mirella, a high school senior, has lived in a big city her entire life. She has attended an arts high school for the past two years to pursue her passion for piano and writing music. The city has always been busy, but rather predictable for her. She has always longed to live more simply; a life without city pretention and expectation.

When her mother gets a big promotion which sends Mirella to a rural town in another province, her life changes very quickly. Along with living in a setting entirely unfamiliar to her, Mirella must adapt to a new school, and a myriad of new people. She's both inspired and concerned by this, especially since the school is a small, all girls' high school - and Mirella is a lesbian.

Soon, Mirella meets Stella, the quiet but confident student council president. Stella knows about all the going-ons of the school, and tells Mirella all she needs to know about the classes, clubs, everyday life in the dorms, and the identities of the other lesbian identified students. This may be a liberal time and place, but teenage love is hard for everyone. Can Mirella overcome her broken heart to chase the girl of her dreams?

Protagonist:

Mirella Ricci:

Mirella is confident and laid back. She's been interested in music her entire life, and has been studying piano and musical theory since she's been very young. Mirella is a romantic, and has tends to fall for women very quickly, although she hates to show it. She can be a little stubborn and hot-headed, but usually feels remorseful about it very quickly.

♥Love interests:

ImageImage
Stella Hall

Stella is the student council president who is studious and hard working. She is quiet, but is very intelligent and well-spoken. She seems to know a lot about the lives of the people around her, but dislikes speaking badly of them. She gets along well with almost everyone, and is very well liked by most. Some tend to perceive her as fake, however.

ImageImage
Christine "Chris" Robinson

Chris is the type who will do anything for a beautiful girl. She's tall, charming, handsome, and her masculine/androgynous appearance often gets her mistaken for a guy outside of school; particularly by younger girls. She has an active social life, and rumour has it that she already frequents the bars in the nearby city on weekends.

ImageImage
Sandhya "San" Misra

Sandhya knows there must be more to the world around her; or maybe she's just read too much about it. Aliens, paranormal activity, government conspiracies and parallel universes all seem like perfectly logical explainations to her for most things on Earth. She's a quirky, creative girl who has her own ideas about the world.

ImageImage
Evelyn Grey

Evelyn doesn't really speak much to anyone; she just doesn't seem interested. She's very quiet, and according to those who have spoken to her, extremely cynical. She has the top grades in the school. No one knows where she goes when she's not in class, but she always seems preoccupied.

ImageImage
Amalia Conrad

Amalia is a short, energetic girl who grew up in the city with Mirella. She's a bubbly, very forward girl who's always been the center of attention and up on the latest trends. She seems to have trouble adapting to her life in the country, taking her appearance to new extremes. She's always been very interested in aesthetics and pop culture.

ImageImage
Alexandra "Alex" Jones

Alex is the lead singer and guitarist in the local band "The Venoms". She's a free spirit with a musical talent to match. She's an advocate of social justice, and stands up for what she believes in. There are a lot of sketchy rumours about her, but she wears them with confidence.

Other (non-obtainable) characters to follow!

Team:

Pandora (Artist/character designer, writer, programmer)
Maloe (Early idea planning/writing)

------

Hi everyone! This is my first game, so I wanted to start with something easier plot-wise to write/program. So yes, it is set in high school. c:

In any case, this is going to be a "yuri otome" (and by that I mean a GxG game made for women), since there's next to none of these, and lesbians/queer ladies like to romance 2D characters too! The completed game is going to be free, fully voice acted in English, and will be scored mainly by public domain classical music.

Of course, it's still in its' early stages, and I still have a lot of writing to do; but I would love to hear your opinion on what's here so far! Who's your favourite character? What's your first impression? Does the art suit the premise? Thank you for your feedback! ♥
Last edited by Pandora on Sun Feb 17, 2013 8:32 pm, edited 9 times in total.

Zatch
Regular
Projects: Omega(Current), Dragon Souls, Cheer on!

Re: Lilac Melody [GxG] [Romance, school life, slice of life]

#2 Post by Zatch »

Hmm~ *High Five for High school setting*

My first expression is that there was 'yay' XD My favorite has to be Stella. :D I'm always like the student council president. Yeah, the art does! :D

Can't wait for the rest of the art!

Minnfae
Regular
Projects: Undecided

#3 Post by Minnfae »

Oh, those drawings are pretty, are you going to use the chibis as the characters' sprites through the games or the art will be more like that uncolored Chris?
Evelyn and Stella are my favorites, kudos for making a GxG otome.
My avatar art is a freebie by SilverHyena. Thanks a lot!

Reyire
Regular
Completed: Seraph & Hellion
Projects: Kimeru: to decide
Organization: Kira Kira Candy

#4 Post by Reyire »

Yey, a yuri otome! It looks great! And very hard to pick a favorite character .. I will think on it, lol. At any rate, good luck with your game, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. (:
- I play any type of romance VN: BxG, GxB, GxG, BxB. Love is love. -

FlawedFlare
Regular
Projects: [Without Your Half],[ Underground], Unidentified Shallow Heart

#5 Post by FlawedFlare »

I like this already! The chibis are so adorable and the personalities are so different and unique. Out of the girl, I think I like Evelyn and Alex. :) I can't wait to hear everyone's voices though!

BairaagiVN
Projects: In Progress: Lunatic Summer

#6 Post by BairaagiVN »

Yuri for women, so vaguely like Aoi Hana? Sounds interesting!

I'm not sure which of the two given art styles you're using, but I think I'd enjoy the full-size / "traditional" style over the chibi.
http://oxjawstudios.blogspot.com/p/the-basics.html -- A former hikikomori with a black belt gets a back-stage pass to see a disparate group of fanciful, terrifying, and mundane beings enter his world. Lunatic Summer, currently in progress.

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#7 Post by gekiganwing »

First, I'm glad to see that your cast includes people of multiple ethnicities.
Pandora wrote:Stella knows about all the going-ons of the school, and tells Mirella all she needs to know about the classes, clubs, and the identities of the other lesbian identified students. ... [Stella] seems to know a lot about the lives of the people around her, but dislikes speaking badly of them. She gets along well with almost everyone, and is very well liked.
How does Stella know? Does she have exceptionally good gaydar? Are all the girls in the cast open about their sexuality? Or has she talked with most of her fellow students, and got honest answers from them?

I have no problem believing that Stella is a respectable girl. But should she be telling Mirella who the lesbians are on campus, even if Mirella asks her? If is is talking about her friends' private lives, then she might be divulging too much information.
Pandora wrote:In any case, this is going to be a "yuri otome" (and by that I mean a GxG game made for women), since there's next to none of these, and lesbians like to romance 2D characters too!
There's not that much authentic, focused GxG content. And only a small amount of it is worksafe.

Since the story takes place at an all girls school, would the notion of lesbian until graduation be relevant to the story? Are any important characters bisexual, uncertain about their sexuality, or pretending to be lesbians?

Pandora
Regular

#8 Post by Pandora »

Zatch wrote:Hmm~ *High Five for High school setting*

My first expression is that there was 'yay' XD My favorite has to be Stella. :D I'm always like the student council president. Yeah, the art does! :D

Can't wait for the rest of the art!
*high fives* Thank you! n_n
Minnfae wrote:Oh, those drawings are pretty, are you going to use the chibis as the characters' sprites through the games or the art will be more like that uncolored Chris?
Evelyn and Stella are my favorites, kudos for making a GxG otome.
The chibis were more to just show the initial character design; the sprites will be like the lineart of Chris. Evelyn seems to be the most popular choice right now! It must be the angst. ;P
Reyire wrote:Yey, a yuri otome! It looks great! And very hard to pick a favorite character .. I will think on it, lol. At any rate, good luck with your game, I'll definitely be keeping an eye on it. (:
Thanks!~ Let me know when you figure it out.
FlawedFlare wrote:I like this already! The chibis are so adorable and the personalities are so different and unique. Out of the girl, I think I like Evelyn and Alex. :) I can't wait to hear everyone's voices though!
Thank you. I'm very excited to hear the voice actors myself, but that won't come until a little while later! n_n
BairaagiVN wrote:Yuri for women, so vaguely like Aoi Hana? Sounds interesting!

I'm not sure which of the two given art styles you're using, but I think I'd enjoy the full-size / "traditional" style over the chibi.
It will definitely have the same gentle, slice of life, josei sort of feel as Aoi Hana or Maria-Sama ga Miteru. I will be using the full sized sprites; I don't think the chibis will even be in the game itself.
gekiganwing wrote:First, I'm glad to see that your cast includes people of multiple ethnicities.
Pandora wrote:Stella knows about all the going-ons of the school, and tells Mirella all she needs to know about the classes, clubs, and the identities of the other lesbian identified students. ... [Stella] seems to know a lot about the lives of the people around her, but dislikes speaking badly of them. She gets along well with almost everyone, and is very well liked.
How does Stella know? Does she have exceptionally good gaydar? Are all the girls in the cast open about their sexuality? Or has she talked with most of her fellow students, and got honest answers from them?

I have no problem believing that Stella is a respectable girl. But should she be telling Mirella who the lesbians are on campus, even if Mirella asks her? If is is talking about her friends' private lives, then she might be divulging too much information.
Pandora wrote:In any case, this is going to be a "yuri otome" (and by that I mean a GxG game made for women), since there's next to none of these, and lesbians like to romance 2D characters too!
There's not that much authentic, focused GxG content. And only a small amount of it is worksafe.

Since the story takes place at an all girls school, would the notion of lesbian until graduation be relevant to the story? Are any important characters bisexual, uncertain about their sexuality, or pretending to be lesbians?
The setting of the game is a fictitious town; people are not discriminated against for their sexuality, and are therefore not afraid of letting it be known. I figure this way, I can focus more on character issues and romance rather than the fact that they're lesbians. So Stella isn't doing anything bad by telling Mirella this information, as it's just the way it is there. An idealistic place, yes, but this is going to be a flowery romance game; I'd rather not burden people with heavy, irl discrimination.

There will be a character who is struggling with her sexuality, but it will be for different reasons. Most of the issues the characters face will not be related to their sexuality.

But thank you for the feedback and all the questions! They are important ones, and have made me think about the setting a little more.

EroBotan
Veteran

#9 Post by EroBotan »

Pandora wrote:The setting of the game is a fictitious town; people are not discriminated against for their sexuality, and are therefore not afraid of letting it be known. I figure this way, I can focus more on character issues and romance rather than the fact that they're lesbians. So Stella isn't doing anything bad by telling Mirella this information, as it's just the way it is there. An idealistic place, yes, but this is going to be a flowery romance game; I'd rather not burden people with heavy, irl discrimination.

There will be a character who is struggling with her sexuality, but it will be for different reasons. Most of the issues the characters face will not be related to their sexuality.

But thank you for the feedback and all the questions! They are important ones, and have made me think about the setting a little more.
I agree, me also prefer that everyone has gaydar ^^! More romance for everyone :D !

eileen
Veteran
Projects: Akiba Z and Passion Sync
Organization: Aphrodisia/Beautiful Starr

#10 Post by eileen »

EroBotan wrote:
Pandora wrote:The setting of the game is a fictitious town; people are not discriminated against for their sexuality, and are therefore not afraid of letting it be known. I figure this way, I can focus more on character issues and romance rather than the fact that they're lesbians. So Stella isn't doing anything bad by telling Mirella this information, as it's just the way it is there. An idealistic place, yes, but this is going to be a flowery romance game; I'd rather not burden people with heavy, irl discrimination.

I agree, me also prefer that everyone has gaydar ^^! More romance for everyone :D !
Who doesn't like gaydar! :lol: Even it doesn't exist.... I can't wait to see more of this game :P

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#11 Post by gekiganwing »

Nothing wrong with idealism. If you want to portray a place where (nearly) all your characters are lesbians and it's not an issue, that's fine.

Alopex

#12 Post by Alopex »

Oh goodness, they're all so adorable. I shall be keeping an eager eye on this one!

Pandora
Regular

#13 Post by Pandora »

EroBotan wrote: I agree, me also prefer that everyone has gaydar ^^! More romance for everyone :D !
eileen wrote:Who doesn't like gaydar! :lol: Even it doesn't exist.... I can't wait to see more of this game :P
gekiganwing wrote:Nothing wrong with idealism. If you want to portray a place where (nearly) all your characters are lesbians and it's not an issue, that's fine.
Haha, well, all the love interests are lesbian/bisexual/queer. n_n There will be other side characters who are not. It's not so much gaydar as everyone already knows who's interested in who, as they've grown up together, dated people around each other, had crushes, etc, etc.
Alopex wrote:Oh goodness, they're all so adorable. I shall be keeping an eager eye on this one!
Thank you! c: I should have the first character sprites (at least the lineart of them, anyway) of everyone up by the end of the month.

Pandora
Regular

#14 Post by Pandora »

I added the first sprites of most of the main characters, excluding Alex and Amalia (I'll upload them in the next few days). A couple of them are coloured. There will be a lot more sprites that this; I'm thinking at least 2 casual outfits per character, and 2 poses per outfit, not including their facial expressions of course. n_n Hopefully it'll give you a bit more of an idea of what the in-game art will be like!

WickedRaccoon
Veteran

#15 Post by WickedRaccoon »

love the art,it's super cute.you've done an awesome job.also,the plot seems interesting,so i will keep an eye out for this