The Black Lands [BxG] [Gothic Drama]

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
PrettySammy09
Veteran

The Black Lands [BxG] [Gothic Drama]

#1 Post by PrettySammy09 »

"What are you willing to sacrifice?"
The climax of a bitter war approaches. The White Kingdom, shrouded in eternal night, and the Black Lands, victim of eternal day, fight to be the masters of both sun and stars: to acquire the privilege of living in both. The Black King finds himself with only a handful of allies left:

The Black Knight, desperate to avenge her fallen brother.
The Black Bishop, sworn to side and eternally loyal.
The Black Queen, his most powerful, yet most dangerous asset.

And hiding in the darkness of the White Kingdom rest his only two remaining foes:

The White King, a madman bent on bloodshed and so called divine retribution.

And her.

That soulless stare, that porcelain complexion, those light footsteps that echo only death: the White Queen.

These are the players left in our game. Yet more death is sure to come before a victor is declared.

The question remains:

What are you willing to sacrifice?

Hey everyone! So this is the first project I've ever posted here. Ever. I've been on these boards for half a millenia, but have never really posted anything I've done, for fear that I won't be able to keep up with updates when life gets hectic (as it often does). But this project is pretty close to being finished (wooo!) so I figured I might as well throw up some images/tidbits for some feedback.

So this is a Gothic Horror-esque game (horror like, less on the blood and gutsy side and more on the sexy-creepy side, with lots of disturbed staring and tortured souls and ridiculous accessories and whatnot) with chess used a motif. The characters are all (obviously) anthropormorphized chess pieces, and the story of the game is supposed to cover the last few moves of a chess match.

There are a couple of branches, and the choices you make will all be chess moves. Don't worry, you won't be playing a full chess game nor do you have to "win" the game to "win" my game. (I can see people now freaking out at their computers being like: Chess?! I WILL NEVER EFFING BEAT THIS GAME.) Every move you make (even moves that could theoretically lose you the chess game) will get you different endings.

The Black King (WIP)
So here's your character! He doesn't get a sprite, but this is my color reference for him for CGs and whatnot. I'm pretty sure if he was real he'd be some kind of track star or whatever. But that's just a guess.

Umm, and the reason he's wearing almost no clothes is because...uhh..it's hot, guys. Eternal day = hot. Uhhh yeah! Exactly.

The Black Knight
The King's Black Knight, who is out for revenge after the White Queen murdered her younger brother. She's honorable and very dedicated to the code of the Knight, but she's also young and impetuous and sometimes lets her emotions get the better of her. Aaand maybe she's a little bit tsun-tsun.

The Black Bishop
The King's Black Bishop: his adviser, confidante and oldest friend. The King trusts the Bishop completely, and she's been by his side since he was a little boy. Intelligent, quick-witted, and possessing a wry sense of humor, the Bishop is probably the only one of the King's vassals who feels more than comfortable talking back to him. (So it's not like I had this sudden urge to draw anime nuns or whatever. Don't judge me.)

The Black Queen
The Black King's most powerful combatant, and also his wife. She's fiercely loyal and wildly in love with her husband, who treats her in a strangely cold manner. Perhaps it has something to do with their arranged marriage? The Queen is ruthless in battle, and demands respect from all her inferiors. There are times when her mood swings border on the terrifying.

So I guess since you're married there won't be any dating sim. Too bad.

The White Queen
The White Queen: probably the White King's last line of defense in this crazed, bloody battle. She's killed more than any other, and yet never has that blank, unfeeling expression faded from her face. Brought up specifically to be the perfect wife for the future ruler of the White Kingdom, she has no aspirations other than to be a "perfect possession".

Oh well, guess she's married too. There's going to be no falling in love in this game, obviously.

The White King
The ruler of the White Kingdom and instigator of the war. Obsessed with possessing the day as his own, he fights with no regard to the lives of his vassals. He seems especially obsessed with slaughtering the Black King himself, and perhaps has a more personal stake in this battle than he's led anyone to believe.

He'll spend a lot of time making this face probably.

The GUI is still a work in progress, but this is roughly what the game is gonna look like.
Image Image

No, really, this extra stuff is awesome. How awesome?

Uhh...well there are gonna be a total of 10 Endings!
And there are 4 Capturable Characters!
And there's gonna be...lots of CGs! (Which will be posted in this thread sporadically - not spoilery ones of course.)
And it's being made entirely by me! (I shouldn't have bolded that, it makes me look like a tool why do I do this...?)
I'm not going to post a demo (that's probably not cool, but it's going in this section anyway cause I don't have any more section headers) because the game is short enough that any demo I made would be roughly half the game. I might post a teaser video of the first scene if people are interested.

Speaking of people, please use this thread to give me feedback on what you see. Especially the GUI and things like that. I'll be posting WIPs of the CGs and I'd love some input/critique.

Also if you're interested in beta-ing I'll probably need betas in a few months and totally would love pulling from this forum. Let me know!

So uh, I guess to start things off, do you guys like what you see? Like font, text box, size of sprites, etc? Thanks!

papillon
Arbiter of the Internets
Completed: lots; see website!
Projects: something mysterious involving yuri, usually
Organization: Hanako Games
Tumblr: hanakogames

Re: The Black Lands [BxG] [Gothic Drama]

#2 Post by papillon »

Liking the idea in general, but I think there's something off with the Black Queen's anatomy/posture... one of those legs doesn't look like it can connect with her hips properly unless I'm seeing it wrong.

Looking forward to seeing how it turns out. :)

Reikun
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Mnemonic Devices, Ciikos Bridge, Helena's Flowers, The Madness
Projects: Fox in the Hollyhocks
Organization: skyharborr
itch: skyharborr

#3 Post by Reikun »

I love the premise and inspiration of this game (<3<3<3 Chess) Instafave is the Black Knight because the knight is in fact my favorite chess piece xD;; One thing: The Black names on the black textbox = Hard to see. You could still use a black textbox if the names in black were outlined in white and (although not entirely necessary) the names in white were outlined in black.

I also like the Black/Gold thing you have on the Black Chess characters and the White/Red thing you have on the White Chess characters. And come to think of it, you could even outline the black names in Gold and the white names in Red :3
I'll look forward to your demo!
ImageImageImage

fastest way to contact me: DM @skyharborr on twitter

heavyblade
Regular
Projects: Lucifer's Curse
Organization: Splitin2kun

#4 Post by heavyblade »

I really like the plot, and the way it reminds me of chess. ^^ I thought this was some sort of racial war at first, lol. >.>"
The art is great! But I couldn't help but notice that the Black Knight and the the Black Queen have thin legs. I think they should be a little thicker. ^^

I understand your sentiment about the demo. Even I'm having second thoughts about uploading a WIP of my game. OTL
Want to hire me for commissions? E-mail me at rsalimnarayanan@gmail[dot]com

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran
Projects: Club Shuffle

#5 Post by FatUnicornGames »

I bet if you did a little investigating you could do up a fancier GUI. Looking good so far, though! Looking forward to playing.
Developer Blog for Club Shuffle - Follow and Share?
-Also! You can call me Crystal if you want.-

Auro-Cyanide
ssǝʇunoƆ ʇɹ∀
Completed: http://auro-cyanide.tumblr.com/visualnovels
Projects: Athena
Organization: Cyanide Tea
Tumblr: auro-cyanide
Deviantart: Auro-Cyanide

#6 Post by Auro-Cyanide »

Ooo, I really like the premise for the game, it sounds very exciting and it's an interesting way to approach the concept. As others have mentioned, the anatomy is a little off, but that gets better over time. I just want to say I LOVE the character designs though, especially the Black Queen. She looks awesome. I agree that the black text is a little hard to read, so I think the edging suggestion is a good one. I'm really looking forward to it now! Good luck with finishing it.

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#7 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Hey everyone, thanks so much for the replies!

Totally see what you're saying on the legs - I will fix those up! I think you're right, papillion, that the Black Queen is especially suffering from "where did my hips go" syndrome.

Definitely the black names on the black text box is a problem, so I'm going to fiddle with solutions. I'm thinking outlining the names would be a good fix - I was also thinking of putting tiny chess piece heads next to the names to differentiate them visually (since all the names are going to either black or white). Do you guys think that's a cute idea?

FatUnicorn, do you recommend any research on GUIs? Cause that's definitely one area I'm kind of up a creek without a paddle on. Is there a particularly useful thread floating around?

Thanks again guys!

NastyHabit

#8 Post by NastyHabit »

Great idea....I love chess. I can just imagine now taking some Bobby Fisher matches and trying to make a story from from the moves of a famous game.....

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran

#9 Post by FatUnicornGames »

Here are a couple of useful threads for GUI -

http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... t=tutorial
http://lemmasoft.renai.us/forums/viewto ... f=8&t=9233

I am NOT a programmer and I figured it out, I am sure you can. :D

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#10 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Ah! Thank you so much for those links! I'm definitely going to try image mapping for my GUI. (So not a programmer either, but I figure I can work hot-spots with enough trial and error.)

FatUnicornGames
Miko-Class Veteran

#11 Post by FatUnicornGames »

PrettySammy09 wrote:Ah! Thank you so much for those links! I'm definitely going to try image mapping for my GUI. (So not a programmer either, but I figure I can work hot-spots with enough trial and error.)
The people on the q&a forum are super helpful too. Usually I would just try to cobble together something myself...find it didn't work quite right...get help on the forums and then it would work itself out. I am a little scared of the two minigames I have planned. ;^_^

saguaro
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Locked-In, Sunrise, The Censor
Organization: Lucky Special Games
itch: saguarofoo

#12 Post by saguaro »

Interesting idea, I'll definitely keep an eye on this thread.

15385bic
Miko-Class Veteran

#13 Post by 15385bic »

chess pieces personified *_*
looks and sounds pretty cool ;D

I like the character designs

PrettySammy09
Veteran

#14 Post by PrettySammy09 »

Updates! Here's a few screenshots containing CGs.
That should give you some idea of how the Bishop and the Black King interact. <3
Ah! I'd love to show you who else is in the portrait but spppooillllers.

Still working on updating the GUI. There are other CGs in progress too, but I'm gonna have to be picky about what I throw up here for fear of giving away too much.

Aseret
Regular

#15 Post by Aseret »

This looks really interesting and I'd love to play it :D
But the thread hasn't been updated for a while, how's the progress going for this project?