The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
CheeryMoya
Miko-Class Veteran

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy][Open Demo up for downl

#151 Post by CheeryMoya »

Arowana wrote: @ CheeryMoya
Thanks for trying the demo! The resolution is actually 1280x960 (Renpy default is 800x600), which I think is decently big? (unless you prefer widescreen, haha, but that's a whole 'nother can of worms)
/smacks head against desk
I was thinking of Locked-In omg It's clearly been too long since I played the demo. If you guys are gonna go back to the anime style, still try to deviate from the usual because there's a whole spectrum of art that can be considered "anime" but has pretty much been unseen around these parts. Whatever you guys choose to do, I know it'll be great uwu

Also sorry I haven't gotten to a2 yet I've been waiting for the update ;n; Too many games to plaaay

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#152 Post by fioricca »

Whooops I'm late to this thread, but I wonder if switching art styles mean sacrificing all that nice ATL? Or would you be able to keep all that nice animation still?

The second sprite is nice -- there's a lot more detail to gleam from the body, and the anatomy looks okay. However, I still prefer the first sprite as Miki's kind nature shows more clearly there. I love realistic art styles too, but in this case, I somehow don't feel like it's suitable, especially since this is going to be a dating sim. :Sa I should also mention that 'generic' art styles doesn't mean it's bad; in fact, it's more difficult to distinguish one realism artist from another sometimes.

I think styles are like an aggregation of symbols. If you're drawing action scenes/action comics, you want to make sure that there is enough definition and exaggeration, hence bold, strong lines which communicate strength. Often times, the 'romance' depicted in dating sim is the ideal type of romance, which is soft and beautiful; this is communicated through delicate lines, dream-like colour palettes, and soft colouring. There are a variety of styles that one can choose, but standard symbols remain the same. Realism, to me, works better for adventure games. I'm not opposed to experimentation, and I guess I'd still play dating sims that Murata Yuusuke illustrates (if he ever does that), but I'd be far happier if Murata Yuusuke stuck to action/shounen manga and if my otoge was illustrated by Usuba Kagerou instead.

I guess one useful thing to keep in mind is: consider the feel/atmosphere of the game you'd like to have, and work towards a unified set of resources. There seems to be a general consensus that anime styles = inferior while realism trumps everything, but I wouldn't want to be so close-minded as an artist. I read somewhere that the moe art style used in Corpse Party -- a horror game -- worked surprisingly well as it was a sick mix of morbid and cute. Recently, games like Persona or Dangan Ronpa fused pop and anime together to achieve a stylish modern-day feel. I'm not so sure if realism would have worked well with Dangan Ronpa, as realism feels a bit more 'traditional' while pop feels more experimental and liberal, hence more contemporary (and I would classify anime as a pop art style now, as it's pretty much the eastern rendition of western cartoons). So I'm sure there's something that we can learn from everything. :'D

9-of-Hearts
Regular

#153 Post by 9-of-Hearts »

I'd rather see the old sprites redrawn to be a tinch less stiff and with better anatomy, but....I mean, with everything in the demo, I fell in love with the style--I love realistic art too, but in a dating sim I shy away from it instinctively... Like far away. I wouldn't do that with Cinders or similar as much because of the story feeling like it synchronized with that art, but I don't see that for this really. I'll support you guys in spirit either way...
An in-between could maybe work, something like Auro-Cyanide's style, in my singular opinion, not to trash the idea of revamping... ;_; I don't want to insult or anything, you guys work so hard.. I just wanted to share my feedback, just so's you know...
That's my thought on it though.

ririruetoo
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: May-chan, The Country with no People, Him&Me

#154 Post by ririruetoo »

I have to say that I like the old artwork a whole lot better. I honestly feel that it fits the tone of the story more, and while this new art is pretty and in of itself, I will feel solely disappointed if you change the sprites to that art-style. :(
ImageImageImage

sake-bento
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: http://sakevisual.com/games.html
Projects: Every Sunrise, Shinsei
Organization: sakevisual
Tumblr: sakevisual
Deviantart: sakevisual
itch: sakevisual

#155 Post by sake-bento »

Comments on style have already been made, but now I'm wondering how old the characters are. The prince looked more like a teenager in the old style, and he looks more like mid-late 20's in the newer one.

liossenel
Regular
Projects: The editor(hentai)
Organization: none

#156 Post by liossenel »

i made my gf play it ( she is in the pirates thing)
she congrats you and is willing to see the next part. good luck!

AERenoir
Veteran

#157 Post by AERenoir »

The new art is gorgeous! I definitely prefer it to the old one.
I agree with the person who said the scales look backwards though. Have the artist highlight the the scales in U shapes, not "n" shape.

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#158 Post by Nellie »

@Mimi_Melody - I'm really sorry, I don't really know how to give an estimate of the percentage done >_< I guess overall we're around 30-40% done? We have a timeline schedule we (hope to) follow and have the works done accordingly so we will be able to release the full version before 2014 xD

@wyverngem - I personally like the new one better, but after listening to all the inputs, we decided to try anime style with painting style colouring... Hope the hybrid will works :3

@Omnificent - Def trying that, hope I can make it works XD Thanks for your input! :)

@CheeryMoya - Aiks~ *feels the pressure* Hope we won't disappoint you though >_<

Don't worry about a2, we're working hard on remastered... Hopefully

@fioricca - No longer switching art styles (not that much anyway xD) but no, we definitely won't sacrifice all the animations... Since Aro and I are animation otakus lol. Wow, thanks so much for such thorough input. It's definitely one of reasons we've decided on sticking with a more 'anime-styled' arts for this game :D

@9-of-Hearts - Anime style it is! XD In spirit? D: Nuuuu, support in person and in pc please! =P

ririruetoo - Noted! Will save the realistic style for some other games. In the (far) future :3

@sake-bento - Eiks! I have no idea how old they are. MC is in her early 20's. The merman age slightly different from humans, so they're probably around their early to mid 20's when converted to compare with human age.

@liossenel - Thanks for the support! We'll work hard! Hope your gf (and you too!) will be able to enjoy the final version as much! :)

@AERenoir - D: *changing the scale... wait, it won't be used xD*
Will be revising the old sprites instead of completely changing it. Hopefully the end results won't disappoint you! :)

A little bit more updates for anyone who is still keeping an eye! (We're still working hard on this game!! XD)
Oh noes, I wonder why is the dining area in such a mess? XD

And... The final major character in this game! Who do you think he is? :3

Talann
Regular
Projects: Shooting Stars, REBORN

#159 Post by Talann »

Ohmaagodd! Will download it straight away <3 Honestly the art is so damn amazing! *o*

OfHoneyIronandWine

#160 Post by OfHoneyIronandWine »

i absolutely love this game!
love the sound effects.
the artwork is amazing! (i'm always attracted to vibrant colours)
great move on making a non-fair skinned MC
the fellas are SMOKIN' ~!!!! (I really hope that the sorcerer is a potential love interest)
and jack is definitely one of my fave. characters!!! ^ w ^
keep up the great work!!! :mrgreen:

ixWishing
Veteran

#161 Post by ixWishing »

I gotta try out the demo!
Been stalking this for a while, haha.
Art is gorgeous, as always~
- Everlasting Dreams ;

fioricca
Veteran
Completed: Rising Angels Reborn (2013), Rising Angels Fates: Allegiance (2017)
IRC Nick: souten

#162 Post by fioricca »

Randomly
0004 copy.jpg
Finally set aside some time to sit down and scribble something :///> STILL EXCITED FOR THIS PROJECT can you tell

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#163 Post by Arowana »

@ Talann/ixWishing
Awesome! Let us know what you guys think of the demo when you get a chance! :)

@ OfHoneyIronandWine
Thanks so much! We love the MC with dark skin, so I'm glad you like her too! And yes, the sorcerer is definitely a love interest. xD (Jack is our secret favorite as well hahaha)

@ fioricca
OMG! That picture is gorgeous and I adore you! Seeing this totally made my day. Please take all of my love right now. <3 <3 <3
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

Cassie's

#164 Post by Cassie's »

I really like the art and the fact that each character have is own personality. This is a really good game and I wait for the full version :)
And also... Good work ! :3

Maegalkarven
Regular

#165 Post by Maegalkarven »

I like this vn very much)) And i'm looking forward to see full game one day!) The MC is so cool and wow, the last, he-he, mermaid, who is what?)))Of corse i know he is and i began to like this game more and more)))
Thanks or your hard work and good luck!)And sorry for my bad english^^"