The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

#1 Post by Nellie »

~Become the hero or villain of your own fairytale in this fantasy otome visual novel~

DEMO | DEV BLOG (updated most frequently) | LAST LSF POST

Ever since your father died searching for the mermaids' treasure, you've sworn to find it yourself. Becoming a pirate was the best way of accomplishing that goal...until your crew dumped you overboard during a huge storm.

Miraculously, you are saved and find a sorcerer who will make you a magical contract - with a catch. He'll transform you into a mermaid to grab the treasure, if you bring him a red vial from the mermaids. If you fail, you'll be turned into a lobster.

Now, you have six days before the spell ends. Will you become rich beyond your wildest dreams? Fail the contract and become lobster bisque? Perhaps you'll fall in love with a mermaid prince or sorcerer...or corrupt them with your evil pirate ways.

The Pirate Mermaid is a fantasy otome game with many different choices and possibilities. You could become a legendary pirate, mermaid queen, sorceress, or (heaven forbid) lobster dinner. Your actions may make the other characters into your friends or lovers...or perhaps victims and slaves.

The game contains:
  • 340,000+ words of content
  • 3+ character routes with completely different stories
  • a karma (good/evil) meter that changes the game based on your decisions
  • 20+ endings determined by route and karma
Special features include:
  • animated CGs, backgrounds, and chibi scenes
  • partial voice acting in both English and Japanese
  • galleries for achievements, art, music, and replayable scenes
  • special hint systems for choices and stats
  • customization options for the main character's name and appearance
  • an original vocal theme song

Demos for Windows, Mac, and Linux are on our itch.io page.

The demo is about 50k words/several hours long. It contains the entire common route, plus the first day or two from the main character routes. All of the special features (animations, partial voice acting, galleries, hints, etc.) are included, so please try it out! Comments, questions, and feedback are all welcome.

The Protagonist (nameable)

A brave, stubborn girl (you decide her name!) who became a pirate to find the treasure from her father’s stories. Her favorite things are fighting and money. Your decisions will determine whether she matures into a better person or turns truly evil.

Prince Mikali

A shy, gentle merman who saved the protagonist from a storm. Though most mermaids hate humans, Mikali is oddly fascinated by them. (Not so) secretly the crown prince of Merrica, the biggest mermaid kingdom in all seven seas.

The Sorcerer

A magician who lives alone on an island of golden sand. He transforms the protagonist into a mermaid in exchange for a mysterious red vial. Though cold and snarky at first, he may warm up over time.

Malik

A young merman who appears to be connected to the royals. But don’t expect him to be Prince Charming. Malik has a sadistic streak and enjoys giving everyone a hard time - especially the protagonist.

Jack

The protagonist's greedy (but beloved?) parrot who is always getting into trouble. He turns into a “merbird” after a magical mishap involving his shiny object obsession.

Mimi

A sweet young mer-maid who works at the palace and may befriend the protagonist. Mimi is surprisingly clumsy for a royal servant. She’s constantly worried about getting fed to the tiger sharks by the head butler.

Screenshots

Check our Tumblr for more previews.

ImageImage

ImageImage

ImageImage
Videos

Check our YouTube Channel for more videos.

Last edited by Nellie on Sun Oct 15, 2017 6:02 pm, edited 55 times in total.

Razz
Veteran
Completed: Starlight Vega, Catch Canvas, Love Ribbon, Happy Campers, Wolf Tails
Projects: Two projects
Organization: Razzartvisual

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy]

#2 Post by Razz »

Woah the logo and clothing designs are amazing! Everyone has a unique design. :)

Ginger
Regular

#3 Post by Ginger »

//drools

I adore the oracle. I mean, Prince Mikali seems pretty attrative and all, and is a mermaid, and probably kind of dangerous, but an oracle, come on. He has a monocle for goodness sake.

But on a more coherent page, I really like the idea of a morality meter. It's different from just the good 'ole usual stats that there are. It's quite a nice change. And I'm a sucker for fantasy. And pirates. Definitely pirates. And I enjoy the idea of being able to corrupt men and making them do what it is that I want of them.

Any-who~, I wish the best of luck on this!

Veniae
Veteran

#4 Post by Veniae »

Maaan, mermaids, pirates and a morality meter? Ehehehe, this is bound to be amusing. :D I must say that the concept looks so cool. We need some protagonists with personality, and your MC sounds very nice, as do the love interests.

I also love the designs!

Looking forward to more updates. Good luck~

gekiganwing
Lemma-Class Veteran

#5 Post by gekiganwing »

There are historical examples of women pirates, but I don't think you're aiming for realism, since your story includes magic and transformations...

So yeah, you probably don't need a realistic explanation for how your main character became a captain of a ship. Still, I'm curious... Did she inherit it? Does "A. Hoge" have a legit claim to owning the ship?

Will the main character be recognizable after she becomes a mermaid?

One last thing. The discussion on karma meters brings up a couple interesting points. First, you probably don't want the actions that affect your character to be too subtle or too vague. If there's a decision that will change the main character, it should be relatively easy to understand. Second, if you need to use a "point of no return" choice which will make her evil or good, then make sure it's clearly stated to the audience, and meaningful for the character.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#6 Post by Arowana »

Thanks for the comments, everybody! It’s been really fun working with Nellie on this game, and we’ll have lots more to show you soon. :)

@ Razz
Thanks! I love Nellie’s art and think she did an excellent job with the character designs as well.

@ Ginger
I agree – the monocle is awesome! How can you not love the monocle? ;p Glad to hear you like the morality system! I think it should be a fun switch from just racking up affection points. We were especially excited to plot out all the evil corruption endings. :twisted:

@ Veniae
Glad you like the concept and designs! And I wholeheartedly second the pro-personality sentiment. I think our MC is pretty different from most heroines in that she’s a kind of a ruthless jerk (which is actually pretty fun to write), so it will be interesting to see how people react to her.

@ gekiganwing
Thanks for the links! Yes, we’re aiming for a relatively lighthearted, comedic feel, so realism isn’t a huge priority.

So far, it’s implied that the MC is captain because she has the personality and fighting skills to claw her way to the top (plus she’s the one who knows where the mermaids’ treasure is). A. Hoge was first mate before the MC came along, so he believes that he should have been promoted over her, even though he’s not as good of a fighter. Now that you mention it, though, it might be interesting to incorporate more background on the MC’s rise to captain. We’ll think about it some more – let us know if you have any ideas!

We haven’t finalized the MC’s mermaid design yet, but she’ll probably look fairly similar to her human form.
However, the merman who rescued her from the storm (aka the prince) won’t recognize her because he never got a good look at her human self.
Thanks for your suggestions on the mortality system! I think the choices so far have pretty clear karmic value (e.g. “threaten him with force” vs “negotiate a trade”). Which I was actually worried might be too obvious, but perhaps it’s preferable to make them easy to understand. As of now, your final choice decides if you get the good or evil ending. However, if your mortality meter is skewed too far towards one end by that point, you will be automatically routed to the corresponding ending.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

LVUER
King of Lolies
Completed: R.S.P

#7 Post by LVUER »

I didn't really pay attention to the [GxB] tag until I read the synopsis. Because she is a pirate, I thought she is "he". I wonder how woman can be a pirate unless she have a ship full of women crews? Because there's a myth that woman brings bad luck to sea voyage... and you know pirates, right? There is a reason why Faris (Final Fantasy V) pretends to be a male (she is a pirate captain).
"Double the princesses, quadruple the fun!" - Haken Browning (SRW-OG Endless Frontier)

DeviantArt Account
MoeToMecha Blog (under construction)
Lolicondria Blog (under construction) <- NSFW

Hijiri
Eileen-Class Veteran
Completed: Death Rule:lost code Overdrive Edition, Where the White Doves Rest-Tsumihanseishi
Projects: Death Rule: Killing System
Organization: MESI Games
IRC Nick: Hizi
Tumblr: mesigames
itch: hijiri

#8 Post by Hijiri »

LVUER wrote:I didn't really pay attention to the [GxB] tag until I read the synopsis. Because she is a pirate, I thought she is "he". I wonder how woman can be a pirate unless she have a ship full of women crews? Because there's a myth that woman brings bad luck to sea voyage... and you know pirates, right? There is a reason why Faris (Final Fantasy V) pretends to be a male (she is a pirate captain).
My biggest complaint of Pirates In Love. Granted, seeing as this is a genderbent version of The Little Mermaid, I can suspend disbelief. (Though there were a handful of female pirates in history....)
Image Image
"Perfection goal that always changes. Can pursue, cannot obtain."

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#9 Post by Arowana »

Good point about female pirates, guys! Hijiri is right in saying that you should probably suspend some disbelief, as historical realism clearly isn't our biggest priority. ;p

Our current kinda "handwavey" explanation: the MC initially did disguise herself as a boy, but was able to reveal her true gender after proving her worth and whatnot. However, being female still contributes to prejudice against her, especially from the first mate.
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

AshenhartKrie
Veteran
Tumblr: ashenhartkrie

#10 Post by AshenhartKrie »

This looks awesome. *stares at sexy sorceror* definitely interested in playing this, and the idea's so orignal (well too me at least). ^_^
(oh and there are female pirates that have been open about they're gender after a while, I researched it cos i got bored XD)

tired. grumpy. queer
*uses he/him pronouns*

Firefly
Regular
Projects: Remember these days, My sunflowers keeper
Organization: Firefly Games
Deviantart: Caystar

#11 Post by Firefly »

Very interesting. The art style is cute and the story seems very original. This is definately one that i'll be looking forward to playing.
Good luck on your progress!!
~Fireflys are the stars of the Earth~

http://caystar.deviantart.com/

Onionchan

#12 Post by Onionchan »

Pirates? A strong heroine? An otome and fantasy Visual Novel combined? I'm already hooked onto the idea! The storyline sounds very promising so far, and I like the idea of the "morality meter" since it adds a little more spice to the regular stat raising otome games. Every character has something about them that needs to be discovered, which I really like. The logo looks great so far, and I can't wait to see the polished character sprites.

I love the bachelors (since they're both so different from each other) but I do have to say that I had originally hoped there would be at least 3 guys to go for ): I look forward to seeing the progress on the game, and good luck! :D

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#13 Post by Nellie »

AshenhartKrie wrote:This looks awesome. *stares at sexy sorceror* definitely interested in playing this, and the idea's so orignal (well too me at least). ^_^
(oh and there are female pirates that have been open about they're gender after a while, I researched it cos i got bored XD)
Thanks! :)
We hope it's actually original - was just having crazy discussion about twisting up the good old fairy tales we're used to in our childhood (good thing Aro was sane, otherwise this could have ended up much more twisted xD)
I actually don't know much about female pirates - but am reading up right now!
Firefly wrote:Very interesting. The art style is cute and the story seems very original. This is definately one that i'll be looking forward to playing.
Good luck on your progress!!
Thank you so much for your kind comment! :) We'll try our best xD
Onionchan wrote:Pirates? A strong heroine? An otome and fantasy Visual Novel combined? I'm already hooked onto the idea! The storyline sounds very promising so far, and I like the idea of the "morality meter" since it adds a little more spice to the regular stat raising otome games. Every character has something about them that needs to be discovered, which I really like. The logo looks great so far, and I can't wait to see the polished character sprites.

I love the bachelors (since they're both so different from each other) but I do have to say that I had originally hoped there would be at least 3 guys to go for ): I look forward to seeing the progress on the game, and good luck! :D
Hehe... I like the 'morality meter' idea too - I initially named it 'evil meter' xD
We thought ppl might be tired of having the goody, nice, innocent, naive etc (you get the idea) female protagonist, and it might be boring for the 'bad' girl to always turn good... So why not make it possible to turn the 'good' guys 'bad'? (Who knows, there might be other ppl with twisted interests beside myself hiding out there >3 )

I'm sorry we only have 2 guys. This is just supposed to be a minor (very small) project for to work on in between the larger projects (since they can get really stressful!). Hope you'll still be able to enjoy the game! I'll try to make up for it by doing multiple sprite poses/costumes! Hehehe =3 Maybe throw in a secret unlockable third obtainable guy... Just maybe...

Little bit of sprite updates~ MC in mermaid form! (Maybe a certain perverted sorcerer has something to do with why she's dressed like that...)
Hopefully her design does not come off as too feminine!

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#14 Post by wyverngem »

:) Who gives about if she is historically accurate. >.> Mermaids don't exist either, (popping bubbles). I think it's a great idea for a game and hope you finish it! It doesn't have to be complex with multiple bachelors. Hope it goes well.

bunbun
Regular

#15 Post by bunbun »

This looks really interesting.
Though I'm not a fan of star raising (which the feature says the stats will affect the endings) but it doesn't turn me off one bit.
I hope it won't be a difficult game to obtain the endings XD
I'm like prince Mikali alot hnnnn can't wait until his sprite is up <3
I'm really looking forward for the games you're working on.
Keep up good work and I'll watch from distance
┳┻|
┻┳|
┳┻|_∧
┻┳|・ω・) I’m watching you closely…
┳┻|⊂ノ
┻┳|J

Oh yeah! Since it's a fantasy genre, I don't think there's a need to follow closely about real world's myth and histories.
WIPS