The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
Harmonywish
Regular

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy][Update Aug 17]

#301 Post by Harmonywish »

I played the demo and I loved it! However, I wish I could see something of Malik or Mimi! She looks so cute and Malik... I don't know how to describe him xD! But he does seem interesting nonetheless. The character designs and art are absolutely beautiful! I can't wait for the full game to be released! The music is so nice and fitting! :3

EDIT: I just watched the video. Mimi is definitely super adorable! Hehe. And I loved the part about underwear and where the protagonist says that Mikali is wearing nothing xD. That part was so funny :3. And... was that tentacles I saw in one of the saves? With Malik trapped in them? It was someone with a red tail. Oh! if it is Malik is that how the protagonist meets him? Will she save him or something, that'll be a nice situation to see. Where the female saves the male instead of the other way around. She can fight for sure with the scene I saw with the guards.

Ah, I would love to see a 2nd demo or if that'll be too much trouble, then maybe a small playthrough video where you get to meet Malik? I really want the protagonist and him to meet and see how they interact.

GreyLadyHelenaR
Regular

#302 Post by GreyLadyHelenaR »

I like this. A lot. Like a huge lot. A humongous lot. The demo was amazing, and the story hooked me up from the beginning. And the art! So pretty! Also, MERPEOPLE! As someone who was born and raised in an island, I've always been fascinated with mermaid stories, which is why I know I'm gonna love this with all I have. Can't wait to play the full game!

sakurakimuchi
Regular

#303 Post by sakurakimuchi »

I loved everything about this! The plot is so interesting and funny and the art is gorgeous, but also Pirates and Mermaids! I'm soo excited for this game right now!

Reiyane

#304 Post by Reiyane »

This game is one of the few 'must-haves' once its released. The art is beautiful, the guys seem to be very interesting, especially Malik (I'm a sucker for guys with foul mouths xD). I loved how the protagonist and the Sorcerer interacted with each other in that demo. And Jack! OMG, I frickin' LOVE this bird! I'd buy him as a pet if I could :D Shinies, shinies~~!

But most importantly I love how this protagonist has spunk! I'm fed up with games where the protagonist acts like a delicate little flower, waiting patiently for her prince charming, never raising a voice or doing something improper, bleh! And this girl is tough! Plus, she's a pirate! And I absolutely adore her kleptomaniacal tendencies, haha. I'm very curious how evil she can get >:3

Playing the demo was very enjoyable and I can't wait for the full release.

Thank you for your hard work *bows*

CloakedInDarkness

#305 Post by CloakedInDarkness »

A kickstarter or an indiegogo campaign is a good idea! I would seriously pay money for this good of a game! Good luck!

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#306 Post by try10 »

A few months have passed. Any updates? :)

flor18

#307 Post by flor18 »

please someone tell me this game wasn't dropped cause i would actually pay to play a game called "the pirate mermaid"

Talena
Projects: Adapting a story to a VN 'The Brothers' (GxB)

#308 Post by Talena »

I would like to know also. Are you still developing? I loved the demo :)
You will always find me with pen and paper, as you never know when inspiration will strike.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#309 Post by Arowana »

Hey all, my deepest apologies for not updating this thread in a long time! Nellie and I both graduated and have full-time jobs now. Between going to work and working on the game, it got more difficult for us to keep all our media updated. We started posting most of our progress on Tumblr and Twitter instead because it's faster to upload things there and sadly ended up neglecting LSF for a while. :(

I really want to get better at keeping our LSF threads up-to-date though, especially as we get closer to releasing the new demo. I also really appreciate everyone who takes to time to comment, so I want to make sure you all get a reply from us personally. To this end, I've added replies to the new comments below. Sorry again for the delay, and hope you're still around to see this!

@ try10
Thanks so much for all your support in the past! I hope our lack of updates here didn't make you think we'd stopped working on the game. D: I'm definitely going to work harder at keeping this thread up to date!

@ sayakon
I'm glad you were able to get the game to work! Sometimes the buttons freeze up on my Mac too, but I'm not sure why. Usually quitting and restarting the game seems to fix it for me - it's very strange though.

@ Harmonywish
Thanks for playing the demo! I also find Mimi adorable (I think she has the cutest design in the cast, though Jack might disagree about that haha). She and Malik both appear in the upcoming new demo. The "tentacles" scene with Malik will also be in the new demo. :D

@ GreyLadyHelenaR
I love mermaid stories too (guess that's why I'm doing this game after all). Hope you enjoy the full game once it's done!

@ sakurakimuchi
Pirates and mermaids is a great combination, right? ;) I'd love to see more of it in the future!

@ Reiyane
Glad you enjoyed the demo! I don't know if Malik is that foul-mouthed (he doesn't swear that much, at least), but he does like to get under people's skin and give them unwanted nicknames. :lol: Also glad you liked Jack! People either seem to find him annoying or funny, and I'm happy that it was the latter for you!

Depending on your choices, the protagonist can actually get pretty evil! I hope this doesn't spoil too much, but there are some endings...
...where she ends up killing one or more of the so-called love interests. There are also endings where she makes them into her slaves. You need to have a lot of evil karma to go down these paths though, so it will be hard to get these endings unless you're actively trying to, mwahaha.
@ CloakedInDarkness
Thanks for your encouragement! Nellie and I have been discussing crowdfunding again recently. We might time our new demo to come out with a Kickstarter campaign, if there's enough interest.

@ flor18
Don't worry, the game definitely isn't dropped! We've been working on it steadily; we've just been really terrible about updating this thread, sorry!

@ Talena
Glad you liked the demo! And yes, we are definitely still developing this game.

I'll talk more about game updates in the next post so I don't run out of space. Thanks again to everyone who's supported The Pirate Mermaid!
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

flaminghippo
Regular
Projects: At Bay
IRC Nick: flaminghippo

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy]

#310 Post by flaminghippo »

Oh wow, I'm so glad to hear this is still being worked on! It honestly feels like such a throwback for me because I remember when you first started this thread.

Good luck! Juggling a full time job with a project as big as this must be tough, but I'm so excited :)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#311 Post by Arowana »

flaminghippo wrote:Oh wow, I'm so glad to hear this is still being worked on! It honestly feels like such a throwback for me because I remember when you first started this thread.

Good luck! Juggling a full time job with a project as big as this must be tough, but I'm so excited :)
Thanks for your understanding and encouragement, flaminghippo! I think I remember the first time you posted here as well, haha. Here's to finally getting this project completed (it's definitely taken us long enough)! :D

To give some updates on our current progress, here are a few highlights of what we've been working on.

We've got a shiny new main menu screen! Who is that mysterious figure in the background, I wonder?

All of the CGs (about 30 in total) for Mikali's and the Sorcerer's paths are complete, sans a few backgrounds and corrections. Here are a couple previews (I don't know why I picked so many blushing ones, haha).

We are now using the Renpy 3D camera! This is a super cool coding tool developed by akakyouryuu that allows you to simulate 3D motion for more dynamic scenes and animations. Here are some preview videos to give you an idea of what it can do.

I've also coded a lot of new features that I'll be posting more about in the future. One cool new feature, for example, is character customization - you can change the protagonist's name, tail/fin color, and one of her dress colors later on in the game.

All the writing for Mikali's and the Sorcerer's paths is complete, though not yet all scripted in Renpy. The word count thus far is about 340k words, which may sound kind of crazy. Rest assured you won't be seeing all of that in one playthrough - there are just a lot of different branches depending on your choices and karma level.

We're adding partial voice acting! This is similar to what we did when we worked on Autumn's Journey and can also be seen in games like Fire Emblem and Danganronpa. Each character will have about 20 voice-acted phrases that will be used in different situations. We had auditions a few months ago, and Nellie is currently getting everything finalized.

Jack is answering all your questions on our Tumblr! Okay, maybe that's not a real improvement, but he's trying his best (at least when he's not slacking, awk)! Feel free to send him more mail so he doesn't get lonely, awk awk awk! (okay, I'll stop now)

Looking ahead, we'd like to release our new demo once the voice acting is complete and a few more scenes are coded. We will make sure to post again once we've settled on a final date. Thanks for everyone's patience and support, and we hope you'll like the updates! :D

noeinan
Eileen-Class Veteran
Projects: Ren'Py QuickStart, Crimson Rue
Organization: Statistically Unlikely Games
Deviantart: noeinan
Github: noeinan

#312 Post by noeinan »

Wow, those videos and this update look amazing! I'm super stoked!

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#313 Post by Arowana »

daikiraikimi wrote:Wow, those videos and this update look amazing! I'm super stoked!
Thanks, daikiraikimi! I really liked doing the animations in the videos, so I'm glad that you enjoyed them. :D

wyverngem
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: Simple as Snow, Lady Luck's Due,
Projects: Aether Skies, Of the Waterfall
Tumblr: casting-dreams
itch: castingdreams

#314 Post by wyverngem »

Wow, I can't believe it's been five years since you originally posted this.

Rahnos
Regular

#315 Post by Rahnos »

Yay, an update! I'm so glad this is still being worked on. I've been keeping track of this game's progress for years now, hehe.

It sounds like it'll be a massive game. I really hope we don't have to wait much longer, it's been so long! But I do understand that working on a project like this and working full-time is difficult.

Those new features look so cool! Especially the fin recolouring and the animations. Love it.