The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

A place for game announcements, and for people to discuss games being made.
Forum rules
Please read the sticky before creating a new topic. Linking to Kickstarter/Crowdfunded games requires a demo. Updates to Patreon-backed games may be posted once every 2 months. Adult content should not be posted in this forum.
LeonDaydreamer
Veteran
Projects: A Near Dawn, Put A Sock In It!, Ghosts Are Good Hosts

Re: The Pirate Mermaid [GxB][Fantasy] - New Demo Out!

#331 Post by LeonDaydreamer »

That parrot is so awesome! :)
ImageImageImageImage

SunGoddess23

#332 Post by SunGoddess23 »

Awesome I'm going to begin playing it now and wait with anticipation for the whole game to come out. The artwork is really beautiful.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran
Completed: a2 ~a due~
Projects: AXIOM.01, The Pirate Mermaid
Organization: Variable X, Navigame
Tumblr: navigame-media
itch: navigame

#333 Post by Arowana »

@LeonDaydreamer
Thanks, glad you like him! Jack is turning out to be more popular than I expected, haha!

@SunGoddess23
Ah great, I hope you enjoy the demo! Let us know what you think after you finish playing. :D
Complete: a2 ~a due~ (music, language, love)
In progress: The Pirate Mermaid (fairytale otome)
On hold: AXIOM.01 (girl detective game)

danee.x3
Organization: Freelance Translator

#334 Post by danee.x3 »

Great game, amazing story and the demo ended right "there". >_<

Jack is indeed amazing, awk!
MC is one of the best protagonists I have ever seen. A very different girl who acts SO naturally even if you choose to be bad or good, it isn't fake at all - I confess that I had some doubts about it, but oh Lord.

The arts are amazing - CGs, chibis, backgrounds, soundtrack, voice acting (EN and JP!)... The whole team is amazing!

Can't wait for the full game. :)

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#335 Post by Arowana »

danee.x3 wrote: Fri Oct 13, 2017 12:48 pm Great game, amazing story and the demo ended right "there". >_<

Jack is indeed amazing, awk!
MC is one of the best protagonists I have ever seen. A very different girl who acts SO naturally even if you choose to be bad or good, it isn't fake at all - I confess that I had some doubts about it, but oh Lord.

The arts are amazing - CGs, chibis, backgrounds, soundtrack, voice acting (EN and JP!)... The whole team is amazing!

Can't wait for the full game. :)
Thanks so much! The ending point for the demo is a bit :twisted:, but how could we resist?

Glad you liked the MC and her different personality possibilities! I was worried people would only pick the "good" choices, so I really hope people will try the "evil" ones too. Sometimes it's more fun to be a jerk (at least in the game world, haha)!

I love the arts and voices too! I feel so lucky to be working with such talented people. :D

Nellie
Veteran
Completed: Love Like No Other; a2 ~a due~
Projects: The Pirate Mermaid; Gamelicious!; Spiral Destiny
Organization: Navigame

#336 Post by Nellie »

Please do try the evil paths :)

They are my personal fav and I'd be very disappointed if they're not really explored ufufufufu

danee.x3

#337 Post by danee.x3 »

Arowana wrote: Sat Oct 14, 2017 5:00 pm Thanks so much! The ending point for the demo is a bit :twisted:, but how could we resist?

Glad you liked the MC and her different personality possibilities! I was worried people would only pick the "good" choices, so I really hope people will try the "evil" ones too. Sometimes it's more fun to be a jerk (at least in the game world, haha)!

I love the arts and voices too! I feel so lucky to be working with such talented people. :D
I know, right! Lol But Mikali's route ended in a "better" way, it just stopped at the right time. But for Mr. Grumpy I felt that it just finished at a whatever point (it was my second route, not sure if it is because I was expecting it to finish at any time by the end of Day 1). Not that this is something to ddiscuss, it's a demo, so it can end at any time. >D

Sure yeah! I have to confess that I first tried my best to check the evil answers. è.é But I'm that kind of person who feels sorry about everyone and everything and I didn't want to hurt the feelings of a future "husbando".
It's fun to have different otome games, unusual stories and options as this one. ^^

Hayako
Completed: The Knife of The Traitor Hungarian Translation

#338 Post by Hayako »

Congratulations on your new game, I really like the demo! The protagonist is not a tedious figure, the parrot is very fit to it. :D The male protagonists are real nice guys with different personalities. The story is not boring for a minute, the texts are very good, and it's full of animated CG. I look forward to the full version! :o

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#339 Post by Arowana »

danee.x3 wrote: Sun Oct 15, 2017 9:42 pm I know, right! Lol But Mikali's route ended in a "better" way, it just stopped at the right time. But for Mr. Grumpy I felt that it just finished at a whatever point (it was my second route, not sure if it is because I was expecting it to finish at any time by the end of Day 1). Not that this is something to ddiscuss, it's a demo, so it can end at any time. >D

Sure yeah! I have to confess that I first tried my best to check the evil answers. è.é But I'm that kind of person who feels sorry about everyone and everything and I didn't want to hurt the feelings of a future "husbando".
It's fun to have different otome games, unusual stories and options as this one. ^^
Haha yeah, Mikali's route definitely ends on more of a cliffhanger! I was actually wondering if it might be too cruel to stop it there, but then it's more motivating to see what happens next, right? :twisted: And yes, we're hoping do some different things with the choices in this game. We really don't want to force players to be goody-goodies in order to get a fully fleshed-out ending. Especially for a pirate protagonist, being nice all the time doesn't seem quite right. :lol:
Hayako wrote: Fri Oct 20, 2017 6:25 pm Congratulations on your new game, I really like the demo! The protagonist is not a tedious figure, the parrot is very fit to it. :D The male protagonists are real nice guys with different personalities. The story is not boring for a minute, the texts are very good, and it's full of animated CG. I look forward to the full version! :o
Thanks so much for playing the demo, and I'm glad to hear that you liked the characters and story! I hope you'll enjoy exploring everyone's routes. :D Also glad to hear you liked the animated CGs! We enjoy making the scenes more dynamic with animations, so it's great to hear that players enjoy it too.

Also, while I'm here, here's another character card, this time for the cute merMAID side character Mimi! You can read more about her here.

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#340 Post by try10 »

Hey! I was wondering if you are still working on this project since it's been a long time since the last update. I hope you didn't give up.

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#341 Post by Arowana »

try10 wrote: Sat Mar 10, 2018 6:44 pm Hey! I was wondering if you are still working on this project since it's been a long time since the last update. I hope you didn't give up.
Hi try10, thanks for your continued interest in the game! :D Nellie and I have gotten kind of busy IRL, so we apologize for not posting on LSF recently. We tend to be more active on our Tumblr and I'm hoping to post some asks this week, so I suggest checking there for more stuff. :D

try10
Miko-Class Veteran

#342 Post by try10 »

This really made my day! :D I'm very happy that you are still working on The Pirate Mermaid. I have to say that everything looks amazing and I wish you the best of luck with everything you do!

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#343 Post by Imperf3kt »

Hi, I wanted to try your demo on a Raspberry Pi and ran into a traceback error.

Code: Select all

I'm sorry, but an uncaught exception occurred.

While running game code:
  File "game/other/stats.rpy", line 158, in <module>
ValueError: too many values to unpack

-- Full Traceback ------------------------------------------------------------

Full traceback:
  File "/home/pi/other/stats.rpyc", line 142, in script
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/ast.py", line 921, in execute
    img = renpy.python.py_eval_bytecode(self.code.bytecode)
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/python.py", line 1788, in py_eval_bytecode
    return eval(bytecode, globals, locals)
  File "game/other/stats.rpy", line 158, in <module>
  File "/home/pi/renpy/renpy/renpy/display/layout.py", line 289, in LiveComposite
    xpos, ypos = pos
ValueError: too many values to unpack

Linux-4.14.34-v7+-armv7l-with-debian-9.4
Ren'Py 7.1.0.0
thepiratemermaid demo
The Rapsbery Pi is a Linux based device running on an ARMv7 A53 cpu wit 1GB of RAM (986MB available)

While launching, the game only uses 12% RAM and 104% CPU (of 400% - 4 cores)
I wanted to know if anybody else with a Linux system could confirm if the demo works for them, and this is indeed a fault of the system I am attempting to run this on.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter

Arowana
Miko-Class Veteran

#344 Post by Arowana »

HI Imperf3kt, thanks for trying our demo! Are you using your own Ren'Py files to run the game? I modified some parts of layout.py, which looks like what's giving you the error. If you use the version packed with the game, maybe that will solve your problem?

Imperf3kt
Lemma-Class Veteran
itch: Imperf3kt

#345 Post by Imperf3kt »

Thanks for the reply.

To run the game, I simply extracted the linux files, placed them in a folder called "tpm" and ran the .sh file via the Ren'Py launcher - a limitation that currently cannot be avoided.
I believe you may be correct about the layouts.py file.

I'll do a test using the suggested files and see what happens.

Much appreciated.
Warning: May contain trace amounts of gratuitous plot.
pro·gram·mer (noun) An organism capable of converting caffeine into code.

Current project: GGD Mentor

Twitter